Chapter 3

Fate Has Its Ways

Seung Ri side-glances at Ji Yong as he gets his window down and rests his elbows on the sill; watching the view of the passing skyline in awe. It’s the streetlights on his side that beam their way, giving him a beautiful glow, and Seung Ri has to blink a few times and remind himself to concentrate on the road even when his heart flutters deep inside. It’s a quiet, slightly cold November night where two souls who once thought might not see each other again are now in a capsule of uncertainty yet harbour an immense need for the other. Seung Ri really does thank his lucky stars for allowing him to meet Ji Yong once again.

Moreover, he considers himself lucky that Ji Yong too has wanted to meet him again.

Letting out a breath of air as he gets comfortable on his seat, he allows the air of comfort that’s surrounding them to take over him completely; their peace in their togetherness lingering perfectly as old country music hums in the background. Through the drive filled with shy glances and smiles, humming to the songs and shuffling the playlist, it’s not until they reach the coast that their peaceful silence is taken over by the soft falling of the waves onto the seashore. The air begins to smell like the sea and Seung Ri parks at a spot with a serene view of the foaming waters under the clear Prussian blue sky, turning to look at Ji Yong whose eyes are glued to the view with the happiest grin on his face.

“Does this seem perfect?” Seung Ri asks, softly, not wanting to perturb the current mood or the state of trance that Ji Yong is in. Gently turning his head towards Seung Ri, Ji Yong gives him one of his most beautiful gummy smiles and turns to his side as he settles on his seat, facing Seung Ri completely.

There’s an awaiting silence that wraps around them filled with questions and doubts yet answers so clear. Picking up a little courage, Seung Ri slowly reaches out to Ji Yong, whose eyes don’t stray away from his, and delicately traces his index finger against his warm cheek; causing Ji Yong’s breath to hitch and eyes to flutter at the gesture.

“I needed to see you again…I almost hated the fact that it might not be possible…” Ji Yong whispers in their silence, his slightly cold fingers gingerly holding onto Seung Ri’s before he can pull away.

Heart lurching at the honest confession that strongly resonated with him, Seung Ri caresses Ji Yong’s cheek with his other hand, softly and lovingly, making him think about all the chaos of thoughts and feelings he had gone through wondering about ever meeting Kwon Ji Yong again.

“There were about 5 or 6 times I just stopped in front of that café but I never had the courage to go inside and see if you were there.” He confesses and Ji Yong rests his cheek on his hand, slight amusement lighting up his face.

“I don’t go there often…I usually have my assistant get me my orders but why didn’t you try?” He poses.

“Because I didn’t know what to do. Ji Yong hyung, I—” Ji Yong’s chuckles make him pause and Seung Ri quirks an eyebrow at him curiously.

“Call me Ji Yong, Seung Ri-ah.” He sweetly lets the other know to which Seung Ri lets out a shy smile and nods.

“—yeah, so I haven’t been in a real relationship for a while, Ji Yong. Work comes in my way and I easily get swamped by it and that has definitely been a problem for me in the past. When I saw you that day and talked to you, you had me mesmerised like no one has in a while and it took every ounce in me to not head back to you and ask you for your number or be more bold and just ask you out on a date. I felt like I lost all chances to ever meet you again and it just got me thinking how I should’ve just taken the leap. How I shouldn’t have let go of the opportunity and instead gone with the flow and seen where we would’ve gone because I really want to try it out with you, Ji Yong. For real. Plus, when I saw you with that guy today, which I’m assuming was a first date, it made me realise the gravity of a missed opportunity and I know I can’t bear to think of anyone else being with you.”

Baring his heart open, his nerves getting the better of him as a tad bit of anxiety takes over as he awaits Ji Yong’s reaction, the blossoming fond smile on Ji Yong’s face catches him off-guard . Kissing the tip of Seung Ri’s finger that he has been holding, which makes Seung Ri’s breath to stutter, he leans forward and gracefully settles himself on Seung Ri’s lap; legs dangling by his hips and his dainty fingers settling on his cheeks. Gazes locked intensely yet assuredly on each other as they hold their breaths, Ji Yong smiles at him prettily once again.

“It’s almost funny how we both had the same hesitations…” Ji Yong whispers, making Seung Ri lightly chuckle in amusement.

“Yeah?”

“Hmmhmm…I’m no maestro at dating and it has been a while for me too but take a chance for me, Seung Ri-ah. I’m willing to take a chance for you.” Resting his forehead against his, Ji Yong’s words embrace him in ways truly calming and serene that he cups Ji Yong’s cheek and tilts his head to nip the skin under his jaw, making Ji Yong keen and grasp the back of Seung Ri’s hair.

“I’m willing.” He mutters into Ji Yong’s ear, who is peppering kisses on the crook of his neck, and he can feel Ji Yong’s lips bloom into a smile as he leaves a final peck there and looks back at Seung Ri; radiance dancing in his eyes and Seung Ri knows he reflects that too.

“Go out with me, Ji Yong-ah?” He finally asks, thumbs palming circles on Ji Yong’s hips, who responds by kissing him fully; his hands tangling in his hair.

Under the quiet of the coast with just the two of them bathing in a promise of traversing something new and their own, Ji Yong and Seung Ri connect deeply more than two entwining hands or heartfelt embraces.

Ji Yong moans out loud the final time, making Seung Ri kiss him passionately as he es hard; the both of them heaving out heavy breaths followed by light giggles as they embrace each other in delicate kisses and the nuzzling of noses. Sprawled on the back seat of Seung Ri’s car, hugging each other intimately and securely, the both of them find peace in the knowledge of their togetherness just exactly how fate deemed it to be.

+ + +

A year later

Rapt knocking on the window pane from the outside halts the couple inside from smooching and they burst into a fit of giggles when Seung Ri’s assistant opens the door to the driver’s seat and gives them the most unamused look he can muster. He holds out their orders for them that he bought from their infamous café which apparently, according to the lovers, “brought them together” and he can only snort at the irony.

Settling on the seat and closing the door, he waves away their unabashed “Thank you”s and giggles as he revs the engine of the car.

“Since I technically played cupid and brought you two together along with getting the both of you your orders from time to time, I expect a pay raise, Lee Seung Ri.” He gives Seung Ri a pointed look through the rear-view mirror to which Seung Ri gives him a sly-happy smile and a thumb’s up.

“Well, we thank you for everything, Dae Sung-ah.” Ji Yong comments; happily biting into his blueberry bagel. Dae Sung lets out a genuine smile, unknown to their knowledge, because he honestly cannot be happier for them. He is indeed glad that they found each other but he won’t ever tell that directly to their faces; it might just increase the extreme PDA he already bears witness to.

Halting in front of PEACEMINUSONE’s office, Ji Yong collects his things and kisses Seung Ri deeply before getting out of the car.

“Thanks for the ride! It’s movie night tonight so order in pizza before I’m home!” Ji Yong calls out to Seung Ri who nods at him happily like a love-struck puppy and watches Ji Yong throw him a kiss and a wave which he responds to.

Leaning back blissfully as he stares at the passing view that leads to his own workplace, Seung Ri reminisces all the times that have led to this moment that makes him feel most complete. There have been downs when either of them overworks but the ups supersede them all especially when either of them goes to the other’s workplace with food and fresh comfy clothes; mostly in the case of Ji Yong. They have understood each other and know the other like the back of their hands that it’s the easiest to lean on each other and allow their love to blossom. Letting time take its time, the both of them find strength in the other, home in the other, and it is with that feeling they moved in together.

And Seung Ri has never felt more complete, more mature, and more in love.

Fate has a name for him.

He calls it Kwon Ji Yong.