Chapter 2

Fate Has Its Ways

Ji Yong is still staring at the door which marked his adieu from someone so gorgeous and interesting, who made Ji Yong take conscious efforts to not stutter or ask too many questions regarding everything about the other’s life, and he has not felt like this in a while. Letting out a small sigh, he wonders if Seung Ri did not find him interesting enough to at least ask him for his number. He never doubts his instincts and he knows Seung Ri felt what he felt too; every action of his gave him away.

So why didn’t he ask him for his number?

Ji Yong realises he should be asking himself the same. Why didn’t he ask him for his number?

“So why didn’t you slip him your number, ready to each other by tonight?”

The blunt and direct question that’s posed right in front of his face makes Ji Yong let out a small surprised yelp as he turns to face his cousin Young Bae who’s looking him in the eyes, his face beaming in genuine amusement. He had seen the two of them talking and the chemistry was obvious.

Sipping on his latte to clear his head and avoid his cousin’s questioning gaze, Ji Yong clears his throat and looks back at him in slight distaste.

“That’s not how it works, Bae.”

Snorting, Young Bae arranges the glasses on the shelf before looking back at Ji Yong who seems quite let down and regretful. Taking a little pity on his cousin who is also his best friend, he walks out of the counter and settles on a high top chair next to Ji Yong.

“But that’s your style, isn’t it? That’s what it has been for a while. You meet someone and if you’re really in the mood and they’re quite interesting, you guys go out on a date or two and that’s it. If you’re really in the mood for only , that’s that and then you let go.”

Swirling his straw in his coffee cup, Ji Yong silently agrees with Young Bae. That is exactly how it has been for a while.

“But I don’t have commitment issues.” He responds, meekly, feeling it necessary to let Young Bae know this.

A comforting pat on his shoulder gets him to look at Young Bae who’s watching him understandingly.

“Never said you do. I know you, Ji Yong. I know how much you crave for an actual relationship. I know how much you would love being taken cared of as well; you love very strongly, Ji Yong-ah.”

Nodding in agreement, Ji Yong takes the final bite of his strawberry bagel and he immediately thinks of Seung Ri; a grimace forming on his face.

“The reason I don’t give myself a chance to get into an actual relationship is because of how busy I am and that has been a problem in the past. You know how much I’d like to give my all in a relationship but since I’ve been swamped with work, I’ve never really felt the need until…” He drawls, contemplatively, and Young Bae smiles softly in response.

“Until him…and what’s his name?” He finishes for him to which Ji Yong lets out a sigh.

“Lee Seung Ri. I just haven’t felt like this in so long, Young Bae-ah, and I really really didn’t want him to leave so soon…But he left without even asking me for my number and even though I’m wondering if I actually am ready to give a shot at a real relationship, I’m quite bummed by that.” The vulnerable truth leaves his lips and Young Bae can only give him a side-hug to comfort him.

“Ji Yong-ah?” He breaks the silence when a thought occurs to him.

Ji Yong looks at him questioningly, his hazels wallowing in a tinge of regret as well. The mere sight of him encourages Young Bae to continue.

“Do you believe in fate?”

Sipping on his latte, eyes not straying away from Young Bae’s hopeful ones, Ji Yong slowly nods his head.

“I know this was a chance meeting and that there are 7.8 billion people in this world but if you and he are meant to meet again, I promise you you will.”

Chuckling at the outrageous possibility, Ji Yong combs his fingers through his hair as he mulls over it a little.

“And what if we don’t?”

“Well, maybe Seung Ri was the green light to let you know that you might be ready for a real relationship. Take a chance, Ji Yong-ah.” He earnestly says to Ji Yong who is lost in wonder.

+ + +

 A month later

Ji Yong slices his grilled steak while making small talk with the handsome man sitting in front of him. This is the 3rd date he has been on since he met Seung Ri and trust him when he says that he has been trying to attempt at more than one date and he tried making himself give the other 2 people he met a chance but he failed miserably.

Apparently, his mind and his heart have teamed up to only make that work only if it is Lee Seung Ri and the very idea of not having met him yet and that Young Bae’s words played him wrongly make him want to throw a tantrum. Contrary to his train of thoughts and the brewing chaos within him, Ji Yong smiles politely at the guy who Young Bae set him up with but he honestly wishes to have spent this night at home instead; cuddling his 2 cats and bingeing on Netflix. At least his first date who was a girl got to sleep with him. This guy, no matter how handsome or the fact that he took Ji Yong to this fine dining restaurant, is not going to get that either because Ji Yong has gotten bored of the nature of their conversation even though the man is talking about his adventure trip to Spain. Sipping on his wine to prevent himself from contributing much to the conversation and pretending to listen, he suddenly splutters on his drink a little when he catches sight of the very person he has been longing to see again; hair lustrously gelled back and the first 3 buttons of his shirt open, tucked so deliciously into his designer pants. He coughs awkwardly at his date as he tries to recover from the shock and put up a much more acceptable face at him even though his insides feel like combusting and all he wants is to grin so happily on realising that Young Bae might have had a point, after all.

Sitting 3 tables ahead of him towards his right, Seung Ri leans comfortably on his chair as he seems to make easy and light conversation with the man and woman sitting in front of him. His Cheshire-like grin that he flashes at them does things to Ji Yong, who is trying to watch him as subtly as he can, and he feels an immense need to be able to see Seung Ri like this always.

He needs to know Seung Ri, he just needs to.

Trying his best to avert his gaze to his date who seems to be oblivious to Ji Yong’s turmoil and lack of attention on him, he’s about to give the man some attention out of pity for him, only to end up hitching on his breath when Seung Ri’s eyes lock with his.

Even in the distance between them and in the company of the people sitting with them respectively, their gaze does not falter and Ji Yong finds himself only being able to offer him a shy smile as his cheeks blaze. That very gesture gets Seung Ri to smile at him; his expressions delivering enough relief and some sort of wonder as he gazes back at Ji Yong and neither can look away and that is how the rest of dinner continues.

Throughout dinner, they share subtle yet enrapturing glances at the other; making their hearts soar and veins pulse when their stares lock for a bit too long. Ji Yong begins to feel clammy and hot inside and it’s too many emotions he cannot put a name to. There’s such frenzy in him that he continues until dessert, which he usually does not order on first dates, just so that he does not have to leave the restaurant early and can try timing it with Seung Ri, who is also watching him and eating his dessert.

What is he supposed to make of this? He wonders profoundly, chewing on his last piece of brownie and right when he sees Seung Ri seeming to bring dinner to an end at his table; his eyes straying his way now and then, Ji Yong too decides to bring the date to an end. Paying for their meals, the man courteously escorts Ji Yong out of the restaurant where Ji Yong tells him he had a nice time and that he might give him a call. Clearly, Ji Yong might have had more of a conscience on turning down his date if it weren’t for the one person the universe seems to have brought to him again.

Leaning against the wall near the stairway of the restaurant, Ji Yong waits for a bit; his foot tapping impatiently, but there’s no sign of Seung Ri stepping out of the restaurant. Resting his head against the wall, he tries processing everything that happened at dinner today which only has his stomach all queasy in every good way possible and his heart is searing away in some sort of euphoria. Just when he’s about to glance at the entrance again, he stops short on seeing Seung Ri grinning at him openly a few steps in front of him.

It’s as if he gets back all the air he has lost in such magnitude that he forgets the ability to form basic words at the mere sight of him but Seung Ri has gotten to him faster and helps him save face.

“Waiting for a cab?” He asks, choosing that would be most apt to ask after the interaction they had during dinner, and Ji Yong shakes his head no; floating in the other’s voice and wholesome presence.

Clearing his throat, Seung Ri offers him a shy smile as he jiggles the keys in his hand.

“Do you want a drive home?”

The very question has Ji Yong’s pulse racing as he imagines the very many possibilities of everything that can happen. Just like Young Bae said, he was meant to meet him again and the offer lies right here. Fate has opened its door for them once again and Ji Yong can decide whether he wants to enter it or ignore it and walk away.

Taking in a much needed breath and smiling at him beautifully, Ji Yong scoops the keys out of Seung Ri’s hand; just 3 words escaping his lips.

“Drive me away.”

If fate has opened its door for them once again, who is Ji Yong to not want to enter it?