Part 1

The Thing About Love

Jonghyun always remember what his second big sister told him in the past;
“You know you were in love when you tried to recall a memory with someone yet the only thing that comes are the beautiful one.” And this is what happens to him right now.

Won’t lie, he kind of giving up on Dongho though. They might have a good relationship even now after break up, but they are so far apart. Two years, it might sound short but it isn’t when it comes to the heart. He also heard from Mingi that Dongho is finally moving on, fallen for a guy who probably won’t treat him like the way Jonghyun did in the past.

He treated Dongho like he is a princess or some sort of expensive gemstone that can’t be hurt or scratched even a little. “I want to protect you.”, that was a promise he made and he keeps it. Even if you ask another man about it, he probably agrees too. Jonghyun who loved Dongho so much will always find a way to protect him from every pain that came, he would be the shield who protects Dongho.

It was a Saturday morning when he received a call from Mingi, inviting him for a small reunion in a cafe near Hangang River.

“The cafe is new! I heard they have amazing cakes too, but it’ll be so awkward to come there alone by myself, so I decided to invite you and the others. It'll be our small reunion!” Mingi said enthusiastically on the phone. But the others? It sticks out so much, he decided to ask about it.

“Minhyun and Dongho, it will be our small high school reunion!” And a paused, “Uhm... you won't mind it right?”

He can sense the Mingi's awkwardness from miles away. “Nah... that’s alright, we are in the good term you know.” He answered while trying to brush out Mingi's negative thoughts.

“Good to know that! I was worried for a second. I miss that idiot too, you know. He has been extremely busy ever since he made a name for himself.”

That's true, Dongho has been busy making music for a lot of big names in the industry and Jonghyun is proud of him. He knew the struggle Dongho went through before, he was right beside him, watching the guy, supporting him the best way he could. And right now, there is no way you can go outside without hearing few songs Dongho made played on the street. He is proud, he truly is.

He was on the phone with Mingi for about 45 minutes, talking about random things before finally decided to meet up tomorrow evening because there is no way Minhyun can fit a sudden gathering in his already tight schedule. "I don't know which one is busier between Minhyun and Dongho, both of them are such a workaholic.", That's what Mingi said before they ended the conversation.

As he laid in bed, Jonghyun has been thinking about how Dongho is already passing through his life. It isn't like he won't be able to sleep at night without thinking about how the relationship ends, truthfully it is so far from that. He went for a few dates after breaking up too, more-ever it's been a while after they decided to end it.

Two years, it's a good amount of time. It isn't that long but it isn't that short either, it still feels so close yet it so far away. He never tried to run back to Dongho nor ever tried to pull the other guy back to him, because the only reason why their relationship ended was that they grew far apart. Even though they lived together, yet he never felt Dongho is so far away from him. Thinking about the past made him even more excited to meet the other boy tomorrow because there is no hard feeling between the two, more than that, they were friends before a lover.

Morning comes quicker than he thought. Jonghyun is in a full-blown good mood. As he tried finishing all editing for his gaming channel, the thought of what will happen this afternoon is swirling around in his head. He becomes excited yet scared how everything will turn out, but he has faith in Dongho and himself, a faith that they will not make it awkward for Minhyun and Mingi.

 

He arrived quicker than he thought. When he opened the door he saw a tall young man sitting by himself with a glass of strawberry milkshake looking as bored as a human could be. It is Hwang Minhyun, the one and only. Jonghyun couldn't help it, he let go of a small chuckle from his mouth that draws the other man's attention.

"Ya! You're late!!" Minhyun said, letting go of the small frustration he had over waiting.

"I'm not late, you're early."

"You still like 5 minutes late."

"But in Choi Mingi's time, none of us are late, we are early. And you sir, is far too early." Jonghyun said while taking a seat next to Minhyun.

"*Sigh* you're right, I should have come here like 15 minutes after the dateline. Yet I came here 15 minutes before the dateline..." Minhyun said before slurping his milkshake. "But at least the cafe made a great milkshake."

"Mingi said they're popular with their cakes but good to know they made a great milkshake too."

They continued their chat before they notice a tall figure standing in front of them. Tiger tattoo on the arm and a simple T-shirt, Dongho.

"Hi!" Dongho said cheerfully. "I texted Mingi an hour ago that I will probably be late, and yet that guy is the one that comes late..." He continues while taking a seat in front of Jonghyun.

"I drove so fast because you keep complaining over waiting." Dongho continued while pointing his chin toward Minhyun. "It's your fault to be early! This is a plan made by Mingi, it's bond to start late."

"That's true! I told him that too!", Jonghyun enthusiastically agreeing.

Hearing that, Minhyun could only let out a breath while mumbling "These guys..", but his mumble is loud enough it can't escape the ears of the other two. And annoyingly enough, Minhyun's complaint just brought laughter from the table.

"You know what, I can't complain. The truth is hurt but I accept it. We even talk about this last night, you warn me that it's better to come late, yet I still come early.", Minhyun rumbling while directed his eyes to Dongho. All of his complaints just brought even more laughter for his two friends. "That's no longer important, at least now the two of you are here and I want something else to snack. What do you want?", Minhyun directed his question to Dongho.

"Americano and a muffin."

"How about you?", now he directed his question to Jonghyun.

"Earl grey and any cake you think is interesting, I trust your judgment", Jonghyun said while winking at Minhyun.

Minhyun couldn't help it let out a small chuckle at how corny his friend is, before actually leaving the two men as goes to the counter.

Now it's only the two of them, Dongho and Jonghyun sitting face to face. "It's been a while isn't it?", Dongho starts the conversation while smiling softly at Jonghyun. It's true, it has been a while since the last time they sat so closely next to each other. The last time they met was a few months ago in a big high-school gathering when it was hard to be this close with each other.

"How are you?", he asked after nodded softly answering Dongho's question.

"Good, amazing to be honest. AH! Congratulation on hitting 3 million subscribers!", Dongho said enthusiastically. "I am so happy for you!"

"Hahaha, it's nothing Dongho-ya especially comparing to you. I am so proud of you.", he noticed a pink blush naturally appear on Dongho's face. Cute.

"Don't say that. I know how difficult it is for you to even talking in front of a camera, yet you win over that obstacle, and I am proud of you."

"And so am I, Dongho-ya. We know how the two of us started, I know how tough it was for you too."

. He knew it would happen, he knew this warm in his heart would make a return. Whenever it's only the two of them, whenever they start talking with each other, this warm will make a return created a small blanket that he doesn't want to let go of. It might be not a spark, but it is a comfort that couldn't easily be found.

"This isn't awkward, isn't it?", Dongho asked. Jonghyun knew the question isn't directed to him, it's a question that Dongho asked himself, yet he decided to squeeze Dongho's hand softly and said "No, it isn't."

A few moments later Minhyun came with a tray of food at the same time as Mingi arriving.