Chapter 1

The Hour of the Witch

 

"Welcome, welcome. I am delighted you have come to me for answers." A woman in her early thirties said with a smile. "Please take a seat and let's begin." She added before she sat on her designated chair. The table was round and had another two chairs across hers where the middle aged couple sat warily. "I understand you would like to call out your brother's spirit?" She asked the husband.

"Yes, yes. He died and hid my husband's part of inheritance. We want to know where that brat hid it." The wife answered instead with a huff.

"How...noble." she said trying not to judge the two. "Please place your palm on the table with your fingers spread. Make sure you touch each other's pinkies and close your eyes."

They complied without further questions.

Must be very desperate, she thought as she placed her hands on the table in the same manner. She took one long glance at the room, starting from the seat next to her and traveling all the way to her other side and then back. She smiled seeing how nothing paranormal was happening when suddenly the table vibrated. It was short at first before it happened again.

"Is this the spirit of the late Nam Min Ho? Please knock twice for yes and once for no." She asked calmly. The table trembled for a brief moment before the room got suspiciously cold. Nothing was heard for a few minutes, making the older woman open her eyes. She saw that her witch was looking at the table, quite bored from the looks of it.

"Well? Did he say something?" She asked, her eyes narrowing at the younger woman.

The witch kept her eyes on the table for a few more seconds, feeling the annoyance in the older greedy woman. Two knocks were heard but not on the table. They sounded like they were against the window. The man opened his eyes as well, frightened but still curious.

"He knocked twice! It's my brother!"

The younger woman lifted her eyes and fixed her sight on the two. Another knock was heard coming from another side and then another and another and the table started to tremble again.

"H-hyung don't be mad! I-it wasn't my idea!" He said getting a light hit from his wife.

"How can you say that?" She yelled at him but the reality was that she was just as scared. "Look, we just want to know where the money are hidden. He owed us for taking care of their mother for so long and also lending him when he wasn't working." She added, though only they knew how true that statement was.

It suddenly got silent. Nobody made a single sound when the woman felt a hand grasp her left shoulder. She screamed and got up, flanking her hands around. She started to scream and it suddenly became too much to handle. The witch knocked on the table three times and everything stopped.

"I'm afraid the ghost of your brother is gone now. He...is not exactly happy with the outcome of this discussion. But I think I figured out where he hid the package. It's in the house. I'll have to come over and persuade him to show me exactly the place and then send him back."

"Is that necessary? Coming to our house..." the man asked eyeing the woman suspiciously.

"Do you want to have him around even in death?" She asked raising an eyebrow and the answer came right away.


Once the old couple left, she returned into the caravan and smiled. She first checked under the table for the mechanism that made it tremble before she turned off the sound system. While checking everything, a ghostly form appeared next to her.

"Their family ghost is long gone. I checked." He said to which her answer was a shrug.

"I figured. He couldn't care less about these two."

"Then why use all this show? You could have made a cards reading or something?" He asked still curious and confused.

"Look at the mirror." She encouraged while she made the place look as if nothing ever happened.

The ghost turned to the old grandfather clock, the piece of resistance in the caravan. It looked like an ancient piece of furniture for everyone with an untrained eye. For him, someone from the other world who had experienced death, the numbers and lines vanished and instead appeared what looked like a mirror. A name and a face appeared on it.

"So it's this guy instead? Is he linked to the money?"

"To the house. He lived there before these greedy people forced him to move out. That was more than 10 years ago but he must have loved that house. He's been hiding the money just to annoy them."

The ghost chuckled seeing the irony in this situation.

"We have to get him through the veil and I have this feeling that I have to literally shove him through. That way everybody is happy."

"Really..." the ghost said rolling his eyes. Greediness only brings more greediness and he knew that.

"Thanks for the cold by the way. And for knocking on the window...I was ready to do it myself if nothing happened." She said smiling cutely at him. If it wasn't for those big brown eyes of hers he wouldn't have bothered.

"Morning!" The door, only one except the front, opened widely and a man in his late twenties came in with a smoothie in hand. He looked like he was a teenager with no responsability. "Done? Are you going out to meet Sungkyung? Can I come?" His eyes lightened up at the mention of the woman.

"You know you can simply ask her to meet. I don't want to be the messenger between you two."

"What messenger when the only one with a crush is Rahoon?"

Rahoon glared at the ghost and scoffed.

"At least I am alive, unlike some of us..."

"Ha! Yuri noona is just as dead as I am!"

"Ya, Song Kang! Does it look like I am dead to you?" She yelled trying to hit him but her hand went through his head. "I am alive or else I wouldn't have the need to eat so much junk food." She said and looked down at her body form. "I should be more careful dammit." She mumbled and surprisingly walked through the door that Rahoon walked through. Even more surprising was the placed on the other side...it was like walking through a mirror towards Wonderland. That is a very vague description of the actual feeling but it is unexplainable since humans cannot use that door.

"It's been a while since you had so much work. It feels like ghosts are rebelling these days." Rahoon said, following Yuri.

The other side was not a dark and weird place, with Mad Hatters and Cheshire Cats but a normal house. Maybe a bit dramatic since the whole furniture was allegedly picked because somebody loved Korean dramas. It was very likely that if someone would enter uninvited, it looked as if they walked on to a set. It was a mix of the mansion from Goblin (which really was the taste for artefacts and other vintage stuff) and the luxury from A Korean Odyssey (a house bigger than the people living there truly needed). And yet once gone through that red wooden door, you were right back in the caravan.

"They are rebelling, for some reason. They're doing whatever they want and guess who has to clean their mess? Me, the slave."

"You did get yourself into this position. Don't want to nag but you should had seen this coming," Song Kang commented, flanking his arms around in order to make a point. "You were the Grim Reaper."

"I still am." She stated firmly glaring at the ghost. "I have been the Grim Reaper for longer than your lives combined!" She added pointing at both men.

Rahoon and Kang glanced at each other with a knowing face. They heard her go on about how much she worked and how passionate she was about her job and honestly, it didn't matter anymore.

"You say that but you still saved that guy when he wasn't even on your list," Kang mumbled loud enough for her to hear.

"That-" she started but was cut off right away.

"And when taken to the Council you even said you will take full responsibility for your bad judgement. But-" he stopped and let his partner in crime continue.

"You did not regret it and if you'd go back in time, you'd do it again. Also, you did tell them you are their best Grim in a long time. No modesty on your part." Rahoon said shaking his head.

"I was and will always be the best Grim. This punishment will not last for long."

"It's been two years though." Kang added with worry. "Are you sure you don't regret it?"

Yuri stared at both with an unreadable expression. Since her soul was only borrowed it was no use looking into her eyes: they were as dead as a pair of diamonds. You could see your reflexion but nothing else. They were sparkling in the light and always drew attention to them but they were just pretty and nothing else.

"Should I...remind you two who saved your asses?" She started after a few minutes of complete silence. Maybe it was her bossy reaper tone but they froze instantly. "A ghost so troubling that they were ready to lock into the purgatory! And a lone wolf who wouldn't accept help from anyone, not even his family! Jesus, it's like I am a collector of troubles!"

They looked down and took the position of guilt. They both knew they would had ended up dead for real if not for her stubborn attitude towards the underworld and their rules.

"Now, I'm going to meet Sungkyung; alone. You two better not leave the house and prepare the caravan for another client that's super into occultism and stuff." She said and walked up the stairs.

"I want to see Sungkyung too..." was heard from the living room as she walked around the corner and into her room.

All alone, she fell on her bed face first and groaned. She stood like that for a bit before she rolled on her back and looked up at the ceiling with her hands linked over her tummy. She closed her eyes and remembered the day of her judgement. It felt like it happened yesterday when in truth she has been alive for two years now.

The Council met in what looked like emptiness. Nothing was there except her and the three cloaked figures whose faces no one had ever seen. Yuri did not look even half scared or intimidated but she was indeed worried for her future. Death was all she knew, all she did, she died when she was very young and she never fully experienced all the emotions that make a human. But what now?

"Grim Reaper, a title you should have thought of when breaking our most important rule." One of them started, his voice low and booming.

"The rules are old. The world has changed. I understand we cannot save everyone but we can give them a chance at least. I only called for the ambulance, I didn't aid him on spot." She said keeping a calm mask.

"That is not what the Grim Reaper does. Do not believe that just because you had held this honour for so long we won't punish you."

"I am the best Grim Reaper there ever existed. The list of souls I brought to the underworld is endless." She added maybe with too much pride and bravery.

"Not anymore." The three figures said together. "You are of now less than a reaper. You will go back and follow the instructions you will be given. You will work from Earth, you will live for as long as we decide. Only when your punishment is done will you be able to return to your post. Now go." They added and all three disappeared. A blinding light appeared in their place and flew right into the Grim Reaper thus bringing her to life immediately.

She opened her eyes and sighed. She wasn't really uncomfortable as a human but there were certain things she got used to in death: not having to eat and drink was one. The modern world had so many temptations, it was hard not buying stuff she didn't need. And then there was another problem: the man she saved. She wondered several times, usually before going to sleep, if he was fine and happy. She wished he was a great man, one that truly used his second chance to make the world a better place and live a healthy and prosperous life. She really, really hoped that he wasn't a disappointment.

Another 30 minutes passed before she actually left to meet her friend. The boys were nowhere to be found so she didn't expect much for later. Rahoon preferred to spend time in his room, playing games and making online friends, commenting on every cat video and watching idols on television. On the other hand, Kang liked being outside, visiting places and searching for the ghosts on the mirror.


In the same city yet in a different district, a glass wall building was rising as high as the eye could see. It was nothing extraordinary but it looked very well put together. On the outside. On the inside it was chaos, especially in the CEO's office.

Jung Insung was written on the presidential tablet. The office was tasteful and the man himself was dressed like a rich and tasteful man and yet there he was standing in the middle of the room, looking around as if waiting for something to happen.

"Sir, are you available?" His secretary asked from behind the closed door. "I have the applications of the new employees. You need to look at them, sir. Today." He added remembering how his boss was usually.

"One moment..." he turned and looked everywhere in his office before suddenly he ducked. Just in time because a pen flew straight towards him and hit the door instead. He got up and sighed as the secretary opened the door slowly.

"Is it over?"

"Yes, yes. Come in."

Secretary Kim nodded and entered without much fuss. He wasn't surprised or annoyed with his boss, not anymore and not after the accident.

"I already looked through them and chose the best 4 out of them all." The secretary said giving him the four files.

Insung only opened the first one before he went and slowly sat at his desk. If one of them was good at something, another was complementing him by being good at something else. All four had expertise and experience so it was all up to their interviews.

"Let's ask them to come tomorrow at noon. I may be able to come out of the office at that time." He replied to which the secretary nodded.

"Maybe we should call a shaman, sir. These attacks have been more precise. What if it hits you once?"

Insung waved Kim off.

"No need, no need. Let's not annoy whatever is here anymore than he is already."

With the secretary gone, Insung leaned back and sighed. It wasn't that he didn't want to call someone to get him rid of the ghost or whatever was haunting him. But how would it sound if the press was to get their hands on such a story? He'd be the laughing stock in the business world and not only.