Phase 2

Best Bond

Y'ALL, PART OF THIS DELETED ITSELF ASOFSDJOJEWOISNFJHHIEWN 

 

whatever, the re-write is always better anyway... right? Also, WARNING, for those of you not comfortable, slightly mature scene toward the end. I'd say TV-14 though, because it could pass a censor. I was going to make it... worse? steamier? but it just didn't fit. 


Tuesday night proved to challenge Park Chanyeol's resolve to do even 3 more jobs. In fact, he decided while tucking himself into the far corner of a closet as footsteps slowly passed outside, this just may be the last one. I'm too old for this . He held in a curse as he knocked into a hanging dust pan, causing it to thump against the wall. He froze but the footsteps outside continued to move further away. I may be a little too big for this, too

 

He waited in the closet for several minutes, not daring to expose himself to any roaming security guards. This building had far more than the other one, and he really wasn't in the mood for a high speed chase. Once again, his soulmate had him gritting his teeth and pleading to just stop hurting themselves, but the pain from his right ribs only seemed to get worse. He hunched over in the dark, tears gathering in his eyes. Make it stop, please make it stop. , just kill me instead, maybe then I can finally get a break. He bit down on his fist and desperately clutched at the area, wanting this to happen at any time other than right then. He heard soft footsteps outside the closet. Maybe being arrested isn't so bad... 

 

The thought had barely crossed his pain-addled mind before the door swung open and 10 stood staring down at him with an eyebrow raised. 

 

"Hey Guy," he said, "You may not have noticed, but we're in the middle of a job." Chanyeol wanted to roll his eyes but instead settled for slowly straightening. The pain was gradually fading. 

 

"I have noticed," he replied, following 10 out of the closet and down the hall. The man seemed to have no concerns about running into any patrols, so Chanyeol figured that he must have checked the security cameras. 

 

"We have 15 minutes until they come by again," 10 whispered to him as they arrived outside the office. "It should be more than enough time, but be ready to run." Chanyeol nodded and went about his business of planting the mic and camera. 10 sat himself down behind the office computer, quickly typing and once again pulling out a flash drive. Chanyeol was getting a little tired of seeing those lately. He scrunched his eyebrows, deep in thought as he moved objects to conceal the microphone. 

 

"10," he started, turning toward the desk. The man rotated his head slightly in his direction but his eyes stayed locked on the screen. "Did you get paid for the job before the one we did last Wednesday?" 10 frowned and dismissed a notification on the computer before responding. 

 

"I didn't do that job." Chanyeol paused while setting up the camera. What? 

 

"Are you sure? They wanted a flash drive from another office and said it had been delayed during delivery and that's why payment was late. The jobs were so similar and I could have sworn you were on the team working remotely." 10 froze, eyes darting to lock on Chanyeol's figure. 

 

"You've been retrieving flash drives," he said slowly, "but that job you did... alone?" Chanyeol finished with the camera and turned around, surprised that the man was staring at him so intensely. He immediately started to be apprehensive, the feeling of dread once again crawling into his stomach. 

 

"Not exactly," he said, measuring 10's expression, "I was alone in the building, yes. I was behind the computer for that one but was being remotely instructed, as usual. That's why I was so surprised to see you last week. The techie never came with me befo...why are you giving me that look?" 

 

10 had gone slightly pale. He blinked and the expression was replaced with a calm smile with a dimpled cheek. 

 

"We just have 5 minutes to get off this floor, that's all. I'm finished here. Let's go." They quickly exited the office and 10 seemed to have taken on an air of urgency Chanyeol had never seen from the man before. He shrugged it off, figuring that if 10 was finally taking sneaking around seriously it meant less running from guards for him. They weaved their way around the building, dodging patrols and disabling cameras before finally leaving through a side entrance. Chanyeol let out a small sigh of relief before getting ready to part ways with 10. Before he could walk out of the small backstreet they were on, 10 grabbed his arm. Chanyeol gave him a quick glance, wanting to leave as soon as possible. 

 

"I never work remotely." He said, giving Chanyeol a hard look before turning away and disappearing into the darkness. Chanyeol stared for a few seconds before shaking off the weird feeling he had and started his own route toward his apartment. He tried to take calming breaths but he just couldn't stop thinking that something was very wrong. He barely noticed the people he passed as he swiftly navigated, lost in his mind. 

 

He hadn't imagined the look on 10's face, and the fact that the man had never worked remotely meant that 10 had only been around on the team for a week or so. This whole time he had assumed there was only one tech. His phone chimed with the notification that he had been paid from a social media company and he raised an eyebrow. The platform he was standing on tremored and his hair blew around his forehead as the train he was waiting for slowed to a stop. 

 

10 is a lot better, though, he thought while hopping on the subway, hearing a faint "clink", Come to think of it, there has been a definite uptick in the quality of the jobs... and I've already been paid within minutes of completion...  

 

Chanyeol leaned against the corner of the car as the doors slid shut and the train began to move again. He stared out the window, seeing his own confused face staring back at him. He took out his phone again and dialed the familiar number. 

 

"What do you want?" The voice at the end of the line was clipped and stressed. Chanyeol's frown deepened. "I already told you when you'll get paid. I don't have any jobs in the meantime, so if you're short on cash, find something else to do!" The line went dead. 

 

Chanyeol slowly lowered the phone from his ear, the feeling of horror growing stronger. 

 

But I just did a job... 


I stared with supreme distaste at the email notification: 

 

Your GRE testing date is just around the corner! The best way to succeed is to be prepared! Here's our test day checklist: 1. Calculator... 2. Good night's rest... 3. ...

 

 

I hadn't forgotten the GRE, I just really hadn't wanted to think about it. Unfortunately, that was no longer an option. I sighed and looked up from my phone to see the entrance to my apartment building. I walked in and headed to my mailbox, finding no mail except local coupons. The boy behind the counter called me over to the desk. 

 

"Yes?" I asked, a little wary. I hadn't actually interacted with any of the building staff except for quick waves when I entered or exited the building, usually in a rush. The boy gave a friendly smile. 

 

"You are Kim Seoyun, right? Apartment 4F?" I nodded. He reached underneath the desk and brought out a package. It hit the desk with a thump, and I stared at it in mild surprise. 

 

"I didn't order..." I started to say, but the boy started to grin and shook his head. 

 

"Special delivery!" He chirped, giving me a wink. Yeah, that cleared everything up, I thought before squinting at the boy who seemed to be waiting for a certain reaction. I-? Do I tip him? What does he want?  He started to pout the longer I stared and I realized I should say something. 

 

"Oh, thank you, let me take it," I said ever so smartly, and proceeded to grasp the ends of the package. Oh dear Lord. I looked up at the boy's face and gave an awkward chuckle. "Heavier than I expected," I explained and the boy's grin returned. 

 

"It is pretty heavy. Probably books, if I had to guess," he told me, though I hadn't really asked. I continued to study the package to decide how to carry it up 4 flights of stairs. "Really big studying books. Like for test-prep." I nodded, too absentminded in that moment to really dwell on his words. I went to pick it up another way before I heard a low hiss of "Yah!" 

 

I looked up, startled that the boy's mood had changed so drastically and he rolled his eyes. What a brat! Wait... 

 

I studied the boy again, his words replaying in my head. I took note of his build and the look behind his eyes... 

 

"... 94?" I asked, knowing I was either going to be very right or very weird. I was right, thankfully, and the boy's face once again lit with a grin. 

 

"It took you long enough!" He said happily, "You'll need these to do well on Saturday." I just blinked at him, completely creeped out. 

 

"I have never seen you smile," I said, only knowing 94 to have one of the sassiest and brattiest attitudes of all of the young agents. "It's weird, you're weird, and why do you know-?" 94 cut me off quickly by shifting his focus to another resident coming up to the desk. 

 

"Ah!" his overly-friendly voice sounded, "Park Chanyeol! What can I do for you?" My eyes went wide and I froze while reaching for the box. 

 

...

 

...

 

Park Chanyeol lives in this building?!  

 

"I seem to have lost my room key," a voice sounded behind me, quickly coming closer. "I was... out for a run and I think it fell out of my pocket. Do you have a spare for 5F for the night?" Too close!

 

I quickly grabbed my package and turned away from the front desk and anybody approaching it. I underestimated the weight, though, and it slipped out of my hands and smacked into the floor. . 

 

I scrambled to collect the box, refusing to lift my head and lock eyes with the one person in the university who would probably tear me a new one for taking the top spot. I wasn't sure if he knew what I looked like, but I knew he had to have seen me in the front row of his lectures. After all, we were the only two to sit there, and I hadn't been in his classes the week before. I saw a hand appear, most likely belonging to Park Chanyeol as he bent down... 

 

"Let me help you wit-"

 

Wham! 

 

I finally secured my grip on the package and heaved up just as his fingertips grazed the corner, effectively blocking his view of my face and slamming the textbooks into his head at the same time. I stood and quickly walked away, calling out a short "Sorry!" over my shoulder. I had just started up the first few stairs, wondering where my small but sudden forehead pain came from before I heard 94 yell out behind me: 

 

"Have a nice evening, Kim Seoyun!" 

 

My heart thudded, and I immediately started booking it up the stairs, not caring about any odd looks I received. I heard some commotion behind me but didn't stop as I kept hurrying up flight after flight, my door finally coming into view. I nearly fumbled my key when I heard the unmistakable sounds of long legs skipping stairs right below me. 

 

I burst through the door and slammed it shut before locking it and quieting my breath. There's 9 other apartments on this floor, no way he'll know which one is mine

 

I heard him come to a stop, breathing heavily. He seemed to pause on the landing before slowly approaching my door. He stood right outside and I knew, I just knew... he chose the correct apartment. I heard his breath on the other side before a loud rap right above my head shook the door I was leaning on. 

 

"Kim Seoyun," he angrily called out, making me jump at the volume, "you better come out and apologize to me you- you place-stealing, !" I stood wide-eyed as I heard him wait for a second more before hissing out a "!" and stomping back down the stairs. I exhaled and moved to put my stuff away and turn on my lights. 

 

Damnit, 94... 


Park Chanyeol was still lost in thought as he entered his apartment building. After searching through his pockets, he soon realized that he had dropped his apartment key, and groaned when he thought back to the "clink" he had heard getting on the train. He sighed and ruffled his hair as he turned toward the front desk, noticing another tenant picking up a package. He approached the desk and the boy behind the counter recognized him. 

 

"Ah! Park Chanyeol! What can I do for you?"  

 

"I seem to have lost my room key," Chanyeol began, barely glancing at the woman to his left, "I was.. out for a run and I think it fell out of my pocket. Do you have a spare for 5F for the night?"

 

The woman turned to leave the desk, package falling from her hands and smacking into the tile. She hastily bent to collect it, and Chanyeol noted that it was quite large. He bent to help her with a "Let me help you with that", but the words weren't even fully out of his mouth before the package flew up and collided with his face. He staggered back, hand coming to his forehead instead and before he knew it, the woman was nearly to the stairs with only a quick "sorry". She didn't even look or check to see if I was okay! What the hell?  

 

He turned his attention back to the boy behind the counter, still rubbing his forehead when the boy smirked and called out loudly: "Have a nice evening, Kim Seoyun!" 

 

Park Chanyeol's eyes widened and his mouth fell open. He whipped around to see the woman, apparently the Kim Seoyun, turn the corner and race out of sight. Without a thought, Chanyeol followed, this being the icing on the ty cake that was his week. He was going to meet her, and he was going to tell her that she wasn't going to beat him, in anything. He could hear her footsteps pound on the stairs above him before slowing slightly and he realized she had neared her floor. He started skipping stairs in an effort to catch her, but once he arrived on the floor below his, all was quiet. 

 

He frowned to himself as his chest heaved in and out, trying to think which apartment out of the 10 was hers. But then he remembered: nobody had been living in the apartment directly below him... and if he was 5F... 

 

He approached her door and listened hard, just barely catching the slightest sound of breathing. He pressed a hand to the door. 

 

"Kim Seoyun!" he yelled and pounded the door, feeling a slight jump from the other side, "you better come out and apologize to me you- you place-stealing, !"

 

Okay, so Chanyeol was a pretty nice guy, but right then he was so done with everything, especially Kim Seoyun. He almost immediately regretted calling her a , but a small part of him was satisfied that he finally got to say it. He huffed out a "!" before stomping back down the stairs to face the boy behind the counter who could barely hold in a smirk. 

 

"Your key," he said, handing the spare to Chanyeol, which Chanyeol gratefully took before heading up the stairs again. To his credit, he didn't even pause to glare at Kim Seoyun's door and just kept walking to his apartment. He unlocked the door and entered, feeling absolutely exhausted. He went to prepare a small snack before he headed to bed, but stopped in the kitchen, thinking to himself. 

 

She's right below me... that damn Kim Seoyun.

 

With a nasty grin on his face, Chanyeol started stomping as hard as he could in his kitchen before hopping around to the living room and landing in random places with all of his body weight. He rushed over to his stereo and chose the song with the most bass possible before blasting it on the highest volume and continuing to stomp. 

 

Park Chanyeol usually prided himself on being a very sensible and focused person, but in that moment, blood pumping and heart racing, all he could think about was how his new goal in life was to annoy Kim Seoyun as much as he possibly could. 

 

He sang and danced to the song, giggling to himself as he gleefully stomped to the bathroom, hoping that if she had been planning to do anything peaceful or relaxing, she was royally messed up with a capital "F". 


I had just opened my package of books and was trying to focus on the materials I would need for the looming GRE, and I hadn't even been studying for very long before the loudest thumping sounds and music started from the floor above me. I cursed repeatedly, wondering why of all times they had decided to be rowdy right now. As the minutes ticked by I decided that I absolutely could not study in this environment and needed to do something about it. 

 

I walked over to my closet and brought out a broom. Using the handle I started slamming it into the ceiling in various places, hoping to get my neighbor upstairs to shut the hell up. The thumps and thuds just seemed to move around regardless of how hard I jabbed the cleaning instrument into the ceiling. I took to trying to retaliate in the same spots I heard my noisy neighbor, though I could have sworn I heard laughter laced between the bass-powered thumps of the music. 

 

After a few minutes of this, I wanted to cry. On top of having to score well on Saturday and avoid Park Chanyeol, here I was not making any progress. In my overall plans, I needed to get to Team Alpha, and here I was at university instead, not even able to do that correctly. I slumped on my couch, broom dropping to the floor as I just stared ahead, blocking out the noise from above. 

 

I'm not sure how much time had passed, but the music had stopped and so had any other thumping noises. I moved my gaze to the forgotten textbooks, no longer wanting to study. I moved to the kitchen and started making myself some soup. In the meantime, I searched for a movie to help lift my mood. I sat on the couch, huddled under a blanket with my soup and tea, half-watching the film as I ate. Eventually, I started smiling and getting into the movie, feeling myself perk back up. I plopped my dishes in the sink and went to get a hot shower, thinking about how abruptly my mood had changed earlier. 

 

I checked my phone as soon as I was dressed again, heading straight for my period tracking app. Aha, I thought, no wonder... Friday marks day 1 of monthly hell. Well, while I was incredibly upset with having to take the GRE during my period, at least I had an explanation for my mood swing earlier. I'm not weak or losing it, I'm just... mildly inconvenienced... by the worst reccuring subscription ever.  

 

I once again settled before my textbooks, feeling better and calmer from my hot food and shower. I spent the next 3 hours studying the material and growing my confidence. If my results on the practice test were to be trusted, I was going to be okay. I had enough training and knowledge to carry me through, and if I studied for the next few days, I would be able to earn at least a passing grade. 

 

My mind drifted back to the noisy neighbor. At least they had quieted down now, though I wasn't sure if the peace would last. They had been almost silent since I had moved in, save for a bit of grumpy mumbling and cheerful humming on occasion, so why all the fuss in the middle of the week? I crossed my arms as I thought about the strange case of my neighbor, and suddenly, a detail came dancing across the tracks of my train of thought... 

 

"Do you have a spare for 5F for the night?" My train went screeching as it careened full-force into the realization. 

 

Park Chanyeol... lived above me...

 

My face felt frozen and my stomach dropped. 

 

Oh no... 

 

No doubt my retaliation tonight wasn't exactly in line with my whole "avoiding Park Chanyeol" mission. In fact, it would appear to him that I had gone out of my way to stomp all over that as vigorously as Park Chanyeol had stomped the floor earlier. I groaned aloud as I thought of attending my lectures for the rest of the week having to face (or trying not to face) the seething, giant, bespectacled engineer. 

 

Well, this whole situation just keeps getting better and better... what's next? I have to avoid him during the GRE, too? 

 


Park Chanyeol had scheduled his GRE on a Saturday, which meant Friday night was a bit... tense. He hadn't even bothered to try to annoy the girl living below him, and he didn't have time to ponder the issue of the job he had done with 10 that apparently their boss knew nothing about. 

 

Nope, Chanyeol was a coffee-filled, take-out eating, nail-biting, textbook-perusing engineer to fear. He was a little powerhouse, scribbling notes and taking practice tests back to back while reviewing sections of material he had studied in the weeks prior. By 10pm, he was confident he would score the highest, or at least the highest possible marks he could, and went to bed with a smile on his face. 

 

The next morning, Park Chanyeol made his way to the testing center, spring in his step. He was beyond prepared, and couldn't wait to get this over with. The deadline for graduate school for this university was June 1st, and after the GRE and 1 more recommendation letter, he was home free to apply in advance of the due date. 

 

He entered the testing center and produced all of his identification and testing materials. He was directed to a room down the hall and to the left, where about 14 other students of various ages were already seated. He settled himself in, almost happy enough to hum a tune as he waited for the test to begin in 10 minutes. He couldn't wait to see his final score. As he sat fiddling with his No.2 pencils, he felt a dull ache in his right side and cringed a bit. He brushed it off, but then both sides, right around his kidneys, started to feel like somebody was reaching inside his body with a metal glove and twisting and pulling. He clenched his teeth and held in his curse. 

 

Park Chanyeol had long suspected that his soulmate was female for this particular reason. Just about every month he felt a cramping, sharp pain in both sides of his lower back that randomly came and went over the course of 2-3 days before it faded until the next month. Chanyeol had forgotten the last time it happened, and while he didn't mean to schedule his GRE at the same time as his soulmate's monthly, he cursed himself for not considering this scenario. 

 

He breathed through his nose and tried his best to ignore it as the stabbing feeling dimmed back to the familiar ache. He let out a tiny sigh as he eyed the clock, mood now dampened. 

 

Whatever, I'll still remember the information, this is just unnecessary and annoying

 

Two minutes until the test, a figure came hurtling through the classroom door and straight to the proctor to check in her materials and get her looseleaf. Chanyeol narrowed his eyes as he recognized the silhouette of his neighbor, Kim Seoyun. She appeared a bit disheveled, which made Chanyeol smirk. Since they lived in the same place and he hadn't seen her on the way, he assumed she woke up late and almost missed the beginning of the test. 

 

As Kim Seoyun took her seat, unfortunately next to Chanyeol as there weren't any others open, he directed his eyes away from her and tried to focus on the proctor who had started the instructions. 

 

No matter what, Kim Seoyun, you won't distract me. I'm going to beat you and there's nothing that you can do to hold me back

 

The test began and Chanyeol worked as quickly as possible through the sections he knew best, carefully marking where he'd come back and spend more time later for the more difficult problems. Chanyeol figured that if he collected the easier points first, if there was a problem that gave him hell, he'd have already scored as high as possible on the problems he knew, and he could afford one or two problems to be incorrect or partially completed if he ran out of time. 

 

As he was working he felt the stabbing start again, and he grit his teeth as it momentarily broke his concentration. He kept working, though much slower than before, and he began to be annoyed that he couldn't just ignore the pain. He'd have to take a break until the ache lessened once again. 

 

As he sat staring at his paper, trying to mentally work through the next problem to get a head start, he heard Kim Seoyun give a small whimper. He raised an eyebrow and almost smiled at the thought of her being so perplexed over a test question that she may cry. More chance for me to pull ahe-OW!

 

Park Chanyeol immediately apologized to the universe for his mean thoughts and silently pleaded with his soulmate's body to STOP THIS INFERNAL TORTURE RIGHT THIS INSTANT HE NEEDED TO WORK DAMNIT AND HE DOESN'T HAVE THE TIME FO- 

 

Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted Kim Seoyun wrapping a hand around her middle and squirming a bit and she continued to try to focus on solving problems. He didn't want to spend too long staring at the girl in case the proctor tried to accuse him of cheating, but he noticed as he turned his attention back to the testing sheet that she was biting her lip and seemed to be fighting some sort of pain. 

 

Chanyeol's mind started to whirl even as he scribbled on his looseleaf, the stabbing feeling dying down to the point where he could speed through the problems he had already half-solved. He was in good shape so far, almost finished the first of three sections with a few hours left. A nagging feeling tickled the edges of his mind as he tried to concentrate...

 

You know, the pain you're feeling, and the apparent pain SHE'S feeling seem to be in the same place....

 

Shut up! 

 

You realize that you can't prove she's not your soulmate because you've only ever seen the side of her face or her back.

 

I said shut UP, I have to concentrate! Stop spewing bull. 

 

Her mark doesn't seem to be on her arms. Look, she's not wearing long sleeves OR long pants and you still can't see it, so that means it could be on her collarbone as well...

 

That also means it could be anywhere ELSE that's covered. Leave it alone! 

 

Look at her. 

 

Like hell, I need to FOCUS!

 

Not now, look at her in lecture. Find her after class. Make sure. 

 

FINE, just let it go for now! 

 

Park Chanyeol finally succeeded in controlling his thoughts and powered through the rest of the exam. Kim Seoyun also seemed to do well, finishing her sections not long after he did. Both of them sat staring straight ahead. Chanyeol just wasn't ready to risk discovering his soulmate right then and there even if he was already finished. 

 

Yes, Park Chanyeol wanted to find his soulmate. But between his night life and the annoyance that Kim Seoyun had put him through the past 2 weeks, he was hesitant to meet her eyes. Why couldn't it be that cute girl I knocked over? Then I wouldn't be sitting here like this

 

The proctor announced the end of the examination and while some of the students gave sighs of disappointment or groans of anguish, Kim Seoyun and Park Chanyeol sat in stony silence, not daring to look even a centimeter to their sides. Park Chanyeol was getting antsy; the constant tapping of his finger against his right leg wasn't very loud, but loud enough to provide a constant, nervous rhythm to create a void of tension between the two desks. Kim Seoyun seemed to be a statue, from what little he could see of her through his peripheral vision. The proctor released the test-takers, and within a heartbeat, Kim Seoyun was out the door, Chanyeol left once again to stare at her back before she vanished. 

 

Does she know? 


I had no idea what just happened. The GRE itself seemed to go alright, but I hadn't planned on having to clean my sheets in the morning from my monthly visitor. I tried to find the time to take a pain-killer, but it was either that or be late for the GRE, so I unfortunately had to go without. 

 

All I remembered was working as quickly as possible and staring straight ahead trying extremely hard to ignore Park Chanyeol. 

 

Damn my luck, I thought to myself, leaving the testing center as quickly as possible. I needed to pick up some more period supplies and maybe a tub of ice cream from the market I usually went to. I varied my footsteps and took the long way around, trying to ignore my cramps. 

 

The last thing I wanted was Park Chanyeol catching up to me. Who knows what he'd have to say to me since I'd been successfully scoring above him in all the quizzes from the previous week. I was surprised at my own ability, really. Maybe the agency hadn't actually made a mistake with choosing this field for me... 

 

I moved quickly through the market, just wanting to go back home and curl up in my bed. Maybe watch a drama... read that book I've been meaning to...eat more soup!! I started to get giddy thinking of all of the possibilities. The test was over and I was free to bleed in peace for the rest of the weekend. 

 

I was standing in front of the registers, trying to choose which aisle to queue in, when I saw arms start to encase me. I gave a yelp and spun to face an amused Lay. His black hoodie was off and he stood there in a tank top, hoodie spread between his hands. 

 

"What are you doing?" I asked, more than a little confused about why he had just tried to hug me. My poor Haagen Dazs almost kissed the ground! He gave me a soft, dimpled smile. 

 

"Sorry," he apologized, "but I need to put this around your waist. You uh-" 

 

"Bled through," I finished for him immediately, cheeks starting to warm as I cursed the world. "I don't want to ruin your-"

 

"It's alright," he laughed, moving to put the garment around my waist, "You won't. It's black and the spot isn't too bad. Besides, we live close enough that it's no problem to return anyway." I just sighed in a bit of shame. 

 

"Thank you, Lay. I really appreciate it," I said, and he just gave me another smile and pointed to a cashier who had just finished with the customer before me. I went to check out my items, noticing that Lay was empty-handed. 

 

"Oh," he said, noticing my stare, "I was just feeling a bit munchy. I come and browse when I'm bored and slightly hungry, but I usually end up not buying much. Cures the boredom, though." I side-eyed him as I inserted my card. 

 

"...You're weird," I told him and he laughed, helping me bag up my ice cream and pads, not even sparing the labels a second glance. 

 

"Yes, but if I wasn't, you'd be walking around with a red dot on your ." 

 

Can't argue with that. 

 

We exited the store, heading into the mild spring day. There was a comfortable silence as we walked the few blocks back to our apartment complexes. He's so calming... sweet...charming...quiet... damnit, I need a boyfriend, where the hell is my soulmate and why couldn't it be Lay? Yeah sure, he knows a little too much and shows up too conveniently, but it's super useful. 

 

"Lay?" I asked quietly as we paused to wait for the traffic light. He turned his attention to me. "What's your favorite number?" He raised his eyebrows and looked thoroughly amused. 

 

"Funny," he replied, "people have been asking me about numbers a lot lately." I just threw him a look.

 

We crossed the street and he started to turn to go to his place, but I quickly grabbed his sleeve. 

 

"Wait, what's your apartment number? I have to return the hoodie." He just smiled his dimpled smile again, as if he was completely unconcerned with everything in the world.  

 

"Just drop it to the doorman. Tell him 'Lay, 10th floor'." 

 

And Lay was gone, striding away down the street as soon as I had registered what he had said. I stared after him, wondering seriously why he was so damn odd. I shrugged to myself and entered my apartment building, doing a quick scan to see if Park Chanyeol was anywhere near. He thankfully wasn't, but 94 was sitting at the desk looking very bored. I flashed him the finger before darting up the stairs, hearing him snort from across the lobby. I'd get ed at later, but he deserved it after that stunt earlier this week. 

 

I finally made it back to my apartment. I pulled off Lay's hoodie as soon as possible and checked it for stains, deciding to wash it anyway just in case. I changed into more comfortable, stain free clothes and got a new pad before starting the cycle. I quickly decided to watch a drama and eat some of my ice cream while I waited for the machines. I set up my laptop on the table in front of the sofa, tucking a blanket across my shoulders as I settled in with my spoon in hand. I was genuinely content with my life at that very moment (minus the whole, you know, bleeding out of my , pain, giant test, and ruined sheets in the morning) and had barely gone 15 minutes before it was shattered to pieces. 

 

First, I plopped a spot of ice cream on my lovely fleece sweatpants. It may not have been too much of an issue if they were dark, but unfortunately this particular pair was pastel pink. I frowned at myself, supremely annoyed, and glanced sadly at the washer already in use. Whatever, it's fine. It's a short walk to Lay's anyway. 

 

Second, I had almost pressed "play" on the drama again when the washer let out a high-pitched clang! and rumbled to a halt. My mouth dropped open as I stared at it dumbly in the new silence of my apartment. Damnit! I walked to the machine, struggling to unhook the door. I finally popped it open and groaned at the sight of a small pool of sudsy water laying still with a dark, wet hoodie wrapped around the center of the appliance. I untangled the hoodie, checking it over fo damage. There didn't appear to be any, but the washer was still refusing to work, so I sighed and brought the hoodie over the bathtub and started to wash it there. After I was done, I threw it in the dryer and pulled out my phone to request maintenance to come look at the washer. I once again sighed forlornly at the stain on my pants and shot the washer a dirty look before going back to my laptop. 

 

Third, and perhaps most annoying, I heard my lovely upstairs neighbor come home. I was finally on the second-to-last episode of my drama and the tension was really building. Who is she going to choose? It better not be that , sorry excuse for a main lead, I swear to GOD girl, choose the nice guy for 's sak- is that ??? 

 

I paused my drama again (unfortunately) to listen with a mix of confusion and growing horror as the noises from above me were definitely... indecent. 

 

Park Chanyeol, what the man!!!! It's barely afternoon! Don't people do these things at night?  

 

I slammed my hands over my ears, incredibly disgusted. There was no way I could happily finish my drama now. Even my ice-cream time felt violated. I spent a few minutes cursing the universe and Park Chanyeol before an idea invited itself into my head. 

 

You know... that broom over there could just conveniently bump around the ceiling a few times.  I raised an eyebrow. 

 

Now that there's an idea, ain't it? Good thought, Me. 

 

Thanks, Me. 

 

With a nasty grin on my face, I tried my best to block out the sounds from upstairs and grabbed my faithful broom. I gleefully whacked it against the ceiling a few times, trying to make the noise cease but it didn't seem to have too much effect. In fact, it almost seemed that Park Chanyeol managed to moan a little louder. 

 

That plan having failed, I huffed to myself in silence and slammed my head against the wall. It hit a little harder than I intended and I heard a curse from upstairs. Oh nice, you get to cuss in pleasure while I get to cuss in pain, you jackass. I bounced my head a few more times against the drywall, making sure not to leave dents. It was a good distraction from whatever was going on up there and was it my imagination or were the sounds gon-

 

Mid head-swing, my door clicked open. I thunked against the wall as the apartment door finished opening, the person about to step inside freezing as they took in my frazzled state. I quickly straightened up, cheeks pinking, as I tried to look presentable. I brushed my stray hairs from my face as I inclined my head toward the visitor who, from what I could see from the lower half of their body, wore a blue maintenance uniform. I kept my gaze low as I gestured for them to come in, their footsteps cautious from what they just witnessed. I quietly cleared my throat, going to close the door when I heard the most angelic voice: 

 

"Are you... okay, Miss?" 

 

My body froze as I finished shutting the door. My eyes grew wide and I wanted to vanish from the world at that very moment. I thought of the stain, Park Chanyeol , my head-slamming, and my current appearance. My stomach fell through the floor. I'd know your voice anywhere. 

 

The fourth event that finally shattered my day: Agent 07 was in my apartment. 


Park Chanyeol was tired of thinking about Kim Seoyun. He was tired of thinking about the information he learned about his night jobs. He was tired of thinking of grades and tests and graduate school. 

 

Park Chanyeol was just tired. 

 

Which was probably the reason why he zoned out while he walked, not even noticing that he had ended up in one of the richer parts of the city. Pulling out his phone to secure a ride back to his apartment complex, he contemplated whether to go buy snacks at the convenience store or just go straight home to cook. As he debated with himself, trying to decipher his own mood, a woman approached him. He paused the tapping of his fingers atop the screen when her hand came into view and slowly pushed down the phone he held. His eyebrows raised as he fixed her with a thoroughly unamused look before grabbing her hand with the intention of shoving it off of him. He was surprised, however, to find that his hand tingled where he touched hers, making him dart his eyes to her covered collarbones. He frantically caught her gaze, searching for that connection and was surprised to find her intense stare just as eager. 

 

"Have you found your soulmate?" Her light voice caressed his ears, and he felt like melting. There's no connection, his mind whispered, but there's something

 

"No," he replied, just as light, matching her tone, and he saw her swoon just a bit. "Have you?" His grip on her raised hand became more firm as she softly shook her head, deep eyes meeting his soul. She's just so captivating, soulmate or not. He gently pulled her closer and she willingly came into him, tilting her head up as they drew closer. 

 

Chanyeol gave her a small smile and ran a hand from her temple to her chin, the woman closing her eyes at his touch. There was an intimate air between them despite not previously meeting. The atmosphere was peaceful, yet held an underlying tension. Like a storm off the coast, waiting to surge against the shore. 

 

"I'm going home," he said gently, keeping the calm tone between them as her eyes slowly opened. "Are you coming with me?" 

 

She smiled. 

 

It wasn't long after they walked into the apartment building, arms linked, before they were planting slight kisses on one another's faces up the stairs. Neither could hardly wait to get inside Chanyeol's apartment. Chanyeol had no idea what this was, but he knew that he was going to enjoy the moment while it lasted. 

 

He managed to unlock the apartment even with the woman pressing her lips against his cheek and giggling. They entered and the door had barely shut before they were kissing and removing coats. Park Chanyeol hadn't really bothered with girls in the past, but he felt his body was moving on instinct, and judging from the small moans slipping past the woman's lips, he was doing a good job. Both of them backed toward the bed, Chanyeol guiding her, and he fell on top of her as she pulled him down. Their moans became louder as hands started exploring skin; Chanyeol pushing up her shirt gained a particularly loud one. He went to kiss down her stomach and caught sight of the standard dark black ink in the shape of a flower. His mood dropped a bit, despite knowing already she wasn't his soulmate. 

 

He gently kissed the mark in an act of letting go of what could have been before moving to kiss her again. She welcomed him with open arms and pushed him to sit back, making her intentions clear as her hands trailed down his front. His eyes widened slightly when he noticed the wanting and sly look in her eyes and he opened his mouth to tell her that she didn't have to, but one brush over the front of his jeans had his eyes falling shut and his protests stopping short. All of his attention was on the woman and he didn't even hear the random knocking from the apartment below him. He tilted his head back and moaned loudly as she continued to work her hands over his half- form. She paused to rub the mark on his collarbone for a few seconds before her hands descended again.

 

His hands went to her hair to brush the falling strands back from her face when a sharp pain came lacing across his forehead. What the ? His moans stopped abruptly. The woman glanced up in curiosity, but he just gave a slight shake of the head before attempting to kiss her. Again, the pain bloomed and he gave a wince, actions halted. 

 

"What's wrong?" Came her worried voice as she moved to hold the spot Chanyeol was clutching. "Do you need to stop?" 

 

"My damn soulmate," Chanyeol grit out, wondering what on God's Green Earth they could be doing to cause this. The only thing that came to mind was bashing their head against the wall, but why would they do that? "They're always getting hurt at really inconvenient times." The woman started to laugh. "It's not funny!" 

 

"Oh, my Dear," she cooed as she gracefully removed his hands from his face and soothed his forehead with a small kiss. "You have one of those clumsy soulmates. Not uncommon, I'm afraid." Park Chanyeol looked at her, utterly confused. 

 

"What? There's types?" He asked, wondering why that wasn't common knowledge. She sat on the bed by his side, trying to subdue her smile. 

 

"Not really," she began as Chanyeol stared, "My brother is on a research team that explores connections with soulmates. His team has discovered that often there is an odd correlation between fiery marks and clumsy partners. However, correlation is not causation, so it's really completely random. They're looking more into the concept of certain traits being paired together, though. It seems there will be some solid theories within the next few years." She paused to examine a manicured nail for a moment. "They found something else in their research that I didn't believe until today." Park Chanyeol blinked as he continued to stare down the woman perched elegantly on his bed. "This... blessing... of being paired with another human being for most of your life hinges on two people finding each other and those same two people wanting only each other. But in the last 10 years or so, people have started to consider that sometimes there are connections you have with people that are purely chemical, or purely platonic, that can tie you to more than one person in different ways." Chanyeol's head spun. 

 

Well, that would explain her; the literal upper class goddess in his ratty bed.  

 

"But a soulmate is a soulmate," he said slowly, eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "the initial connection, marks, and those marks changing from the black to a random matching color are all indications that you have found the person that fits you in every way." The woman's pleasant and ever-present smile seemed to tighten a bit. 

 

"Well," she said, "that's why I mentioned it was a more recent theory. Experimental, if you will." She laid back on the bed, holding his gaze. "You can't fully deny it; you've felt the same thing I have or else I wouldn't be here. So let's continue?" She ran a hand across her chest and let out a moan that he probably would have found beyond y a few minutes ago.

 

Park Chanyeol's face was blank. No, I don't want to continue

 

"Actually, I don't think I'm comfortable with this," he decided, grabbing his shirt and slipping it back over his head. "I could really use the stress relief and you are beyond stunning and I'm still in awe you're here with me, but no thank you." He handed her back the coat she had shed. She eyed him and the garment, smile now completely gone. 

 

She quietly dressed herself and stood, slowly walking herself toward the door. She paused to retrieve her shoes as she reached it and Chanyeol moved to open it for her. She straightened and looked at him pensively. 

 

"May I tell my brother of our connection today? It may help with his research," she asked, blinking serenely up at him, not showing the slightest hint of anger or dislike. 

 

"Yeah," Chanyeol said, "Tell him whatever you want. I wish him luck in... figuring all that out." Her smile came back as she floated out of his apartment and toward the stairs. Park Chanyeol felt that he should walk her out, but he couldn't bring himself to get close to her again, no longer liking the concept of having such an intimate connection with somebody who wasn't his soulmate. His moment had officially ended when he figured that if they were indeed connected, it wasn't platonic or as casual as he had originally hoped. 

 

He let out a shaky sigh and shut his apartment door, mind reeling over the thought of mistaking a soulmate connection with something else. Is the pain he feels even from one person only? What if he felt a friend's pain instead? The mark is supposed to be the ultimate symbol, and your soulmate is everything you'd ever need. 

 

He ran a hand through his already messy hair, deciding right then and there that the only connection that mattered to him was his soulmate, no matter who they were. He felt the mark on his collarbone warm slightly, seemingly in a positive response to his thoughts. He craned his neck to try to eye it suspiciously before letting out a sound of frustration. 

 

"I give up!" He huffed, going to faceplant on his bed. 

 

 

Yes, Park Chanyeol was so very tired. 


I couldn't turn around. Agent 07 is here. Holy . Holy . What do I do? I'm not ready for this! I cleared my throat again and plastered a smile on my face as I slowly turned and kept my eyes lower than his face. 

 

"I'm okay...thank you, 07," I finally replied. I heard a small chuckle. 

 

"Agent 61, you look like you've seen a ghost," he said, and I could just tell by his voice that he was beaming that beautiful smile. I gave a more genuine smile this time before my face crumpled in confusion. 

 

"Well, maybe I have," I said, staring into my kitchen, "Because both you and 94 are here and neither of you have informed me of why." 

 

"Ahhh," he vocalized. He could be a singer with that voice... as light and clear as morning dew drops on morning glories. "I'm afraid we can't tell you, seeing as you're technically not on any of our missions at this point in time, but I will tell you not to think too much about it and just focus on your studies. By the way, are you sure you're alright?" I was not surprised that he couldn't tell me anything but I jumped at hearing him ask me again. 

 

"Yes?" I said warily, "I'm fine, why?" He glanced around and walked toward the broken washer. I exhaled a bit, now finally being able to look at him properly. He's so... wow. 

 

"You won't look at me," he said, starting to pull tools out to fix the machine. He laughed a bit to himself. "Do I look that bad in this outfit?" 

 

"No!" I blurted way too fast. His movements paused for the smallest moment at my reply, but he recovered quickly. So quickly I almost second guessed even seeing it. 

 

"Come to think of it, I don't think you've ever really looked at or greeted me properly," he mused, starting to tinker on a few things. "Oh, I see now. This is just caught on the piece right there. Easyyyyyy, this will be fixed in seconds." He let out another soft laugh. "For a minute I was scared I'd have to do some actual mechanical work." He spent a few more moments fiddling with the machine before closing the lid and resuming the interrupted cycle. He let it run for a few moments to confirm it was working before making the washer prematurely drain and stop. "There you are: fixed. But, you still have yet to look at me properly. Do you find me ugly?" He started musing half to himself and half to me with a teasing smile on his lips as he packed the tools he had removed from his bag. 

 

"No, I don't think you're ugly," I said, trying to sound as unaffected as possible. 

 

"I figured as much," he chuckled, "because I can feel you staring holes in my back." I felt red take over my cheeks, now completely mortified. 

 

"I- Well, I-" 

 

"It's okay," he started to turn around and I nailed my gaze to the floor. He let out a soft sigh. "I think I can guess, if you'll let me." What? He allowed a pause for me to protest if I wanted to. I didn't. "You're trying to avoid knowing whether or not we are soulmates." Bingo

 

"Yes," I breathed out in a defeated sigh. 

 

"Why?" He asked. "Why don't you want to know?" I kept my gaze low, seeing his footsteps slowly approaching me. "Where is your soulmate mark? It must be near mine or you wouldn't be so hesitant to see if we have a connection." 

 

"It's on my collarbone," I answered and I heard him take a breath. 

 

"I see," he said quietly. "And why don't you want to know?" I squeezed my eyes shut. Should I really tell him? I took the plunge. 

 

"Because I'm scared that it won't be you," I whispered and I heard him go still. "I want it to be you, 07. I wanted to wait until I made Team Alpha so I could greet you as an equal and see. You've been my motivation to get there ever since I started training." I felt his hand on my head. Oh My God! He gave a small sigh. 

 

"I understand, 61," he stated, "And I'm honored to be your motivation. I remember when you first started...You were wide-eyed and eager and you're still that way. Back then, though, you could barely land your break falls. I wondered slightly how you were admitted, but you continued to work hard and make all of us proud, like a little sister would. You've come so far. And now, we're almost at the same level anyway, so please, won't you look at me?" 

 

My heart pounded. 

 

I slowly raised my head to look straight forward, eyes still tightly closed. I counted to myself, preparing to open my eyes. I had just peeked them open when I felt 07 take my chin in his hand. 

 

Before I could fully open my eyes, he landed a light kiss on my lips. 

 

It lasted only a second. I felt my eyes go wide as he pulled back and I met his gaze for the first time. At that moment, I felt the mark on my collarbone warm significantly. My heart was beating like crazy. I was feeling light-headed. I swore I saw stars and beams of light. 

 

I saw 07 in all his heart-stopping glory. He had a sad smile on his face. 

 

"I wanted to see if anything had changed," he said with the most downcast look in his eyes I had ever seen. "If maybe I had been granted another. But sadly, no." He gave a half-hearted chuckle. "It would have been nice if it were you. You work hard and you're adorable. Stains on your pants and knocking your head against walls included." 

 

I felt my heart crack a little. 

 

"Wh-what? That wasn't a connection?? But- But my mark warmed!" I protested, already feeling tears starting to form. He looked at me in shock. 

 

"I.. don't know what that means," he said cautiously, "But I swear to you I didn't feel anything. My soulmate passed years ago. She was very ill." I felt my breathing hitch. His eyes turned concerned. "Oh no no no, I'm so sorry, 61. Please don't cry," he begged, "I know this is difficult, and I would have liked it to be you as well, but I don't think it was meant to be." I started to gently sob, confused and hurt and yes, still bleeding out of my , why today of all days?

 

"But I- I liked yo-you for s-so looonng," I sobbed out, pride totally thrown out the window to join my dignity that had already jumped. I felt 07 pull me into an embrace. 

 

"I know, I know," he said sadly, "I'm so sorry. I know it feels terrible." I just gently hugged his arm closer, trying to glue the pieces of my heart back together. "It will be alright. You'll find your soulmate and be happy, and I'll be there to cheer you on. Don't worry, it won't be awkward. Everything's going to be okay." I took calming breaths, trying to compose myself. After all, I knew already, didn't I? That's why I tried to prolong it. "There, good, let's breathe together. Deep breath in, deep breath out. In. Out. In. Ou-" 

 

A radio on his waist beeped with an incoming transmission. 

 

"Agent 07, the subject has left the building in the back of a silver Lincoln Aviator."  

 

Agent 07 started slightly and looked back into my confused eyes with pity. 

 

"I-I'm sorry," he said, "but I'm actually working and I have to go... Uh, I know it's difficult and I hate to just rush out because I know this type of pain all too well and I'm so sorry that it's my fault and-" 

 

"Agent 07, did you read?" 

 

He opened his mouth to say more, but we both knew that all that was left was for me to heal. Without him. He pursued his lips. He quickly grabbed his bag and pulled me into a short hug as he passed. He planted a kiss on the top of my head and whispered out a "Feel better, see you later," and then he was out the door, radio in hand. 

 

I made my way to the couch, numb. 

 

I was so hurt and confused as to why I felt something and he didn't and my crush was too long for me to just be okay like that, but I couldn't hate him at all because he was so sweet to me. I stared down at my stained pants before looking toward the washer. I went to grab Lay's hoodie that was still drying and stripped off my pants. I treated them with stain remover before tossing both in for a small cycle, along with my socks. As I shut the washer door, a wild hope that it would break again and Agent 07 would have to come back to me crossed my mind, but I quickly dismissed it and got ready for a nap. 

 

The sun was still bright outside, but as I changed into pajamas, it felt dark in my heart. I closed the shades and hopped in bed, the occasional tear rolling down my cheek. I'll be okay, but it still hurts like a . 

 

My mind slank back to those pre-teen days where I would work through my emotions by hurting myself. No, never again. Today, Agent 07 reminded me that you can lose your soulmate. Causing myself pain just brought them harm... and I think Agent 07 was correct in thinking that you never get another one. No matter who they are, they are precious to me. And I'll be precious to them.  

 

Despite my cracked heart, I felt a weird surge of affection for my soulmate. I felt my collarbone warm slightly again and I was surprised. 

 

Did it just react? Can you... choose to accept your soulmate? Do you actually get a choice in loving them? 

 

I drifted off to sleep thinking that maybe life would be a lot easier if it came with a manual...

 


Oh boy am I not satisfied with this... 

 

I guess Part 3 is where the action is and I'm hoping to wrap it up there and not have a Part 4. And yes, it's still marked completed because I have most of the chapters either outlined or written, just not finalized and posted. It was supposed to be a oneshot and then I marked it complete for the two-shot since it was an almost-finished story and now here we are. 

 

The last 2 scenes in this didn't... go well...? For me? I had other plans but it drifted into the territory where I probably have a ton of plot holes now because I went the theoretical route. ANYWAY yeah Chanyeol was supposed to get a and then 61 and 07 were supposed to.. you know.. do it. But that didn't really happen sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

 

 

yeah, here's this. I hope you enjoyed, and thank you for waiting and reading!!! 

 

_Knutty_