Final

My Eyes On You

A certain number of people came to celebrate of what is another from a numerous success of the Son Enterprises. Families, friends, business partners and major shareholders of the company gather in a single hall as they listen intently to the founder and current CEO talk about the beginning of their current success.

Irene sits with her family and friends in one table, antsy fingers consistently tapping on what seems to be the whitest tablecloth she has ever seen. Too white. She sighs for the umpteenth time that night, wandering eyes trying so hard to focus on the man behind the podium with a proud smile, one that resembles someone she holds dearly in her heart.

She reaches for her wine glass, the purplish-red liquid urging her to take a sip and so she does. She lets the bittersweet taste linger in for a second. Her nose then slightly scrunches up as she shakes her head a little. It's just wine, for god's sake. She kept telling herself that for numerous times that night.

"You look miserable," Joy leans slightly to her left and whispers, eyes not leaving the man on stage.

"You think?"

"You don't even like wine yet you keep drinking as if it can help solve whatever problem you have."

"I might as well forget."

"Thank you so much for having the time to attend this special night for us." Mr. Son pauses a little and scans his eyes onto the audience, flashing a thankful smile. "Please enjoy the rest of your night." He raises his glass of champagne with a nod.

The CEO then steps down from the podium and onto his table where his family and another  —  their business partners, wait for him with a smile. Irene's eyes quickly dart towards that certain table, finding the only person responsible for her rather miserable night. She keeps her gaze on the woman, observing every move of her lips as she talks with a man Irene knew was the son of their business partner. Then she finds herself rolling her eyes.

"Had a fight?" Joy scoots her chair closer to Irene, following the older girl's line of sight.

"Nothing big." Irene replies while she taps her fingers again on the table. "Just a petty argument this morning."

"The way you're acting tells me it's something bigger."

"What do you know about arguments? You've been single your whole life." Irene retorts, shifting her gaze to the woman beside her.

"Uh, excuse me." Joy leans back a little, feigning hurt with a hand pressed on her chest. "I've been in a couple of relationships more than you."

"Both of us know you're bad at commitments, Sooyoung." Irene smirks thinking she is already in the upper hand of the conversation. Nothing feels better than to have Joy lose in Irene's eyes, as evil as it sounds.

"With or without commitment, at least I don't start an argument and act like I'm the victim."

Irene stands corrected. She can never win against Park Sooyoung. One point for Joy.

She freezes on her seat, gaze slowly shifting to the woman currently sipping her champagne five tables away from where Irene is.

"Just talk to her. How hard can it be?" Joy nudges her with an elbow.

Irene shakes her head slowly, carefully. "I don't know how."

"Really? I thought you'd be acting like an adult by now." Joy remarks, quite in disbelief. "You've been dating for three years yet you can't approach her after having a petty argument." She puts an emphasis on the word petty.

"I - just. . don't know how." Irene says softly with a hint of defeat. "I kind of. . slapped her."

"You what?!" Joy exclaims with a slightly loud voice, eliciting a scold from both their parents. "How could you? What happened?"

"Just my overly-jealous self resurfacing yet again."

"And you slapped her because?"

"I can't even remember why."

"You badly need to fix this sooner, lady." Joy says. "I can't have my ship sinking just because of your jealous self."

"I can't approach her now. Look at her. She's happy talking to that silver-haired guy. And they're probably talking in English which I don't even understand."

"Snatch her from him, take her outside, I don't care. She's your girlfriend, not his." Joy advises with such tone that makes Irene consider about following.

Irene notices her girlfriend stand and for a moment, she feels her heart thump a little bit louder. . faster, as she anticipates on what move she will do next. She waits, expectant eyes staring on the woman who held another glass of champagne on her right hand. Irene notices how she walks towards her father and whispers something before receiving a nod, and walks out of the hall and into the balcony. She then releases a breath she did not know she was holding.

"Follow her." Joy nudges yet again, eager to have the two patch up things she did not even know what. "She's probably alone in the balcony right now."

"What if she just wants to be alone? What if she does not want to see me?"

"God, how oblivious can you get?" Joy sighs, frustrated at how her friend is acting. “Just talk to her. I know she wants to talk to you too.”

"Should I?" Irene asks with worry. She's starting to believe Joy, her words registering in her brain and making a lot more sense than before.

"Oh my god, sometimes you're personality changes from a hundred eighty degree." Joy exclaims with a roll of her eyes. "Seriously, you're so dumb when it comes to your girlfriend."

"I don't need your insults now, Joy."

"Then go. Don't be such a coward. You don't wanna sleep alone in your apartment tonight, right?"

After hearing that, Irene quickly rises to her feet, not forgetting to grab her glass and release a long sigh before walking out and towards the balcony. She takes slow, timid steps, one hand gripping the glass a little tighter while the other stays on her side as it starts to sweat. Stopping just beside the only one open from the two glass doors, she spots her girlfriend leaning on the railings of the balcony while she swirls the glass on her hand, gaze solely focused up front.

"I didn't expect you to figure out this long."

The low voice from the other sends shiver down Irene's spine, nerves piling up after another. Her gaze fixed on the back of her lover as she slowly take a few steps forward, eventually stopping beside the woman with a meter in between them. Too large of a gap for lovers.

"Why are you out here?" Was the first thing to come out of Irene's mouth and she swears it sounds dumb already.

"And I thought you already figured out why I came here."

Irene does not understand yet she's can be quite unexpected and Irene loves it. She loves her.

"How are you?"

At this point, it seems like Irene's last name would be awkwardness.

"You're making it sound like we just broke up."

"It's not -"

"I know." She then turns to Irene with a small smile. Her eyes drop to the almost empty glass on Irene's hand. "Are you enjoying the night? There's still wine inside. I can get you some if you want."

"I'm good, thanks."

"Tell me if you want some, you know I can get -"

"Wendy, I'm sorry." Irene suddenly speaks out, interrupting whatever her girlfriend was about to say next. She feels her hands start to sweat, her lips quivering as a new wave of nervousness hit through her.

Wendy blinks a couple of times before saying, "You know what's interesting about the moon?" She lifts her gaze up to the sky and sees a perfect view of a full moon illuminating the dark parts of the city.

Irene furrows her brows in a light crease, the sudden change of topic completely catching her off guard. She then decides to observe the other woman's unbelievably exquisite features as she gazes at the moon with so much adoration, face partly illuminated by their subject and the lights of the balcony.

"The moon may or may not know it's being watched from below. And if it does know, obviously it doesn't really care. A moon is simply just. . a moon. Nothing but a round object that circles the Earth. It does not want the attention from the audience who look and stare at it every night. All the moon wants is the light from the sun, hoping that at least it can be illuminated to reflect light into the Earth." Wendy says with a small smile lingering in the corners of her lips. Irene listens intently to what she has to say, although she does not know what Wendy's main point is but she tries. She tries to understand. "The same goes for me."

Irene stays silent for a moment, mind wandering and trying to take in all the words said by Wendy as she unconsciously furrows her brows.

"I'll go back inside," Wendy says after a minute of complete silence. Before Irene can tell her to stay, to spend the rest of the evening with just her on the balcony and talk about nothing like they always do, her girlfriend has already gone inside and probably to that annoying silver-haired guy with nothing but English skills.

Irene contemplates on following the younger but decides against it. What is she going to say? She still has not deciphered the meaning behind Wendy's words so what was the point of following her? It seemed like Wendy was still mad at her. Or disappointed? She does not know. Wendy - as she said - is quite unexpected and hard to understand.

--

"How'd it go?" Joy asks her once she sits again beside her.

Irene quickly searches for her girlfriend around the hall as people had already started to stand and converse with one another. Some were stood in the corner, others were beside the table where the drinks were put, and others were still on their respective tables. Then Irene's eyes become a little wide once she sees her favorite person standing and talking to an old man with her father, the glass of champagne from before still on her grip.

"We talked about the moon."

"Interesting." Joy nods her head slowly, not the reaction Irene expected. "With that big brain of your girlfriend's, I think she's subtly giving you a lecture but through her intelligence, you know what I mean?"

Lecture, right. Irene's mind shifts back to what Wendy said about the moon.

"I take it you're still. . in the terms of not talking?" Joy asks slowly, trying to make sure she uses the right words.

"Do you think I'd still be here with you if we were?" Irene retorts with a glance at her friend before focusing back on her girlfriend from across the hall.

"That's because stupid you couldn't understand and just offer an apology, am I right?"

Two points for Joy.

Irene rolls her eyes, crosses her arms and slumps back a little in her chair. Joy is right. She always is. Irene will not deny it even though it hurts her pride sometimes but she is definitely not admitting that in front of Park Sooyoung. Never.

"What's your plan-B then?"

"I don't have any."

"Come on, you're not some high school couple anymore. Handle this like adults-"

"Can you stop for a minute? You're giving me a headache."

"I'm just saying-"

"I don't need it."

Irene tries to ignore the looks given by her friend from beside her and lets the distant chatters among the people ring in her ear. She notices Wendy talk to another group which she easily recognises - Wendy's best friends. Irene quietly observes her girlfriend as she smiles and laughs like nothing is going on. But then she of all people knows its a facade. Of course, it's an important night for the Sons. Unlike Irene, Wendy is effortlessly hiding her true emotions under that mask she wears for a night and she sometimes feel envious.

For the rest of the night, Irene finally engaged in a conversation with her family and was once dragged by Joy to introduce to a friend she met a couple of days ago. Within those hours, she kept on glancing at her girlfriend every chance she can get. Sometimes their eyes lock for a couple of seconds before Wendy turns her attention back to whoever she talked to and Irene's heart swells with affection every time.

"Joohyun," Irene's mom calls out from behind Irene, interrupting her talk with Joy and this guy named Yugyeom she just met a couple of minutes ago.

"Oh, mom. What is it?"

"You're not going with us for the night?" She asks her daughter with hesitation.

"I - uh. . I think I'm staying with Wendy tonight."

"Are you sure?"

Irene quickly glances at her girlfriend before turning to her mother, saying, "Yeah, I am."

"Well, we have to go."

Irene then notices a lesser number of people inside the crowded hall just hours ago.

"Yeah." Irene kisses her mother's cheek. "Be careful."

Her mom nods a little with a motherly smile. She then leans in to whisper, "Whatever is going on between you and Wendy, fix it okay?"

Irene’s eyes suddenly widen at her mom’s words. "Yeah, I will." Irene nods before seeing her mother retreat and talk to Wendy's parents.

"You're Wendy noona's girlfriend?"

Irene whips her head back to her two companions, momentarily forgetting that they were still present.

"Uh - yeah." Irene replies shyly. Even after all these years, being referred to as Wendy's girlfriend still makes her shy.

"Ah, the great Bae Joohyun Wendy noona keeps talking to me about." Yugyeom speaks with so much enthusiasm.

"You - you know each other?"

"She's actually one of my closest friends since childhood. You know, my parents and her parents were the best of friends back then until now and we would often get invited over to their house for dinner and such." Yugyeom shares, his lips immediately turns into a grin. "I'm surprised how you two aren't invading each other's personal space tonight."

Irene could only curve the edges of her lips into a small smile. She notices Joy push herself up on her toes, whispering something to Yugyeom. The tall guy has his eyes wide a little, like he just found out something.

"I see," he says with a nod. "Oh, Wendy noona, hi."

Irene's head quickly whips back, heart beating a little faster as she sees her favorite person standing beside her this close for the first time tonight.

"Wendy unnie, hi." Joy beams as she dips her head a little in greeting.

Wendy swiftly slides her arm on the small of Irene's back and to her side, securing her hold on the older. Irene on the other hand, immediately feels the goosebumps rise on her skin as she notices a strong yet gentle grip on the side of her . Thinking about it, she slightly regrets wearing a dress exposing a little of her skin on her side.

"I hope Yugyeom's not being a pain in the ." Wendy smirks, eyes focused on the two in front of her.

Irene stood there awkwardly, listening while her eyes flicks back and forth between her two friends as she notices a teasing smile forming on the corners of both their lips.

"Don't worry, unnie. He's probably the best companion we have tonight." Joy replies with a small wave of her hand. "He even filled us up about how you two know each other."

"I can only imagine what comes out of that savage mouth of yours, Gyeomie." Wendy says with a chuckle, a blessing in Irene's ears. Irene feels the younger soothingly rub the pad of her thumb with small circles on her side as she tries so hard to not close her eyes in pleasure and bliss.

"We've been friends for a long time now, noona. If I had an intention to bad-mouth you, I should have done it years ago."

Wendy clicks her tongue. "You can bad-mouth me all you want just not in front of my girlfriend and her friends, alright?"

"Noted, noona." Yugyeom laughs.

"Ooh, an ideal girlfriend indeed." Joy gushes in response of Wendy's statement, eyes teasing as it stops at Irene's before looking back at Wendy. "Teach me your ways, unnie." Joy notices the glare from Irene's way.

"I believe this is a conversation for another time, Joy." Wendy giggles. The hand on Irene's side now smoothly moving up and down every once in a while.

Yugyeom and Joy both eyes the hand on Irene's side, turning to each other with a knowing smile.

"You're already leaving?" Joy asks particularly Wendy, a hint of playfulness laced in the tone of her voice.

"Yeah, it's already so late." Wendy retracts her hand from the other's side - much to Irene's dismay - as she searches for her phone on the pocket of her black slacks and then checks the time. "Gyeom-ah, make sure Joy goes home safely."

Yugyeom playfully lifts his right hand to his forehead and gesturing a salute to Wendy. "I will, Wendy-nim."

"We'll get going, then." Wendy smiles for the last time at the two before turning to her girlfriend, swiftly reaching for her hand and interlocking them with her own, immediately rubbing yet again soothing circles on the back of Irene's hand. "It was nice talking to you again, Joy."

"You too, unnie. Enjoy your night." Joy teasingly wiggles her brows, specifically at Irene. The latter waves at her friend before following Wendy to her parents.

"Wendy, you're leaving?" Her mom asks.

"Yeah, Irene's probably tired now."

"Joohyun, it's a shame I didn't get a chance to talk to you tonight." Mrs. Son says, oblivious about the tension between her daughter and the said girl throughout the whole night.

"I thought you were busy with your guests. . so I stayed back." Irene politely smiles, the comforting gesture on her hand makes her shiver.

"I was also confused why Wendy didn't invite you over to our table." She turns to her daughter, confusion written all over her face. She really has no idea.

"Where's dad by the way?" Wendy shifts the topic, eyes searching for a certain man.

"He's over there." She points at a certain direction, eyes on her laughing and joyous husband.

"Can you please tell him later we're-"

"Of course. You guys can go."

"Thank you, mom." Wendy takes a step forward and engulfs her mom in a hug with her unoccupied hand. Mrs. Son then steps forward to take Irene in a motherly hug.

"Take care, you two."

"We will." Irene smiles before she lets herself walk beside Wendy outside the hall and to the elevator.

Inside, nothing is heard except for the sound of the door the moment it opened and closed. Yet again, tension could be felt inside the closed four-walls of the elevator as they wait for the doors to open and stop at the ground floor. The hand on Irene's own still continued to rub circles, easing the worry and anxiety she currently felt.

The walk towards Wendy's car couldn't be more awkward than they felt back in the balcony when they spotted a couple making out in the hood of a random car, completely unaware about their surroundings. Irene starts to blush at the vigorous public display of affection, eyes trying so hard to focus and walk towards her girlfriend's car while Wendy remains completely composed. Irene then feels a soft squeeze on her hand, eyes locked on the back of Wendy's head as the corners of her lips turn up into a small smile.

A few seconds later, they arrived in Wendy's car, the younger opening the door of the front passenger seat for Irene and putting her seatbelt on - a gesture that touches Irene even until now - before sprinting towards the other side of the car and putting her own seatbelt on.

"Sorry you had to see that," Wendy utters, reaching for her keys inside the pocket of her slacks. "People should know this is still a public place. Who is even in the right state of mind to go as far as making out in the hood of someone else's car. Obviously it's not theirs because if it is, they had the choice to go inside and just. . but they didn't, so technically, it isn't theirs." She releases a deep sigh before swiftly pushing the key into the bolt, turning the car on. Wendy is not a big fan of public display of affection, although she might show it but she does not go as far as eating each other's faces in the middle of a parking lot. "Are you uncomfortable or something?" She momentarily turns to Irene who is already looking at her in amusement, adoration, affection, love. Everything Irene feels when she's with Wendy.

Irene reaches for the hand gripping the steering wheel, putting her own over it as she squeezes a little. "Don't mind them."

"How can I not?"

"Let's just go." Irene genuinely smiles, too amused about her girlfriend's sudden change of attitude.

"I'm just saying, it makes people uncomfortable. They can just go home and do it for like. . I don't know - how long they want, I don't care. Just not in public places for-"

"Wan, calm down." She puts her hand on Wendy's kneecap as she notices her right knee bobbing profusely. "Calm down." She repeats, a small smile playing on her lips as she locks eyes with her girlfriend.

Wendy releases a long sigh. Seeing as they are not going home sometime soon, she turns the key on the bolt, turns off the vehicle and slumps back on her seat.

", I'm taking this more seriously than I should be, huh?" She curses.

How badly Irene wants to hear it more often. Unfortunately, the younger barely curses because she hates them but utters it nonetheless whenever she's stressed or fed up. And Irene is thankful whenever she witnesses them because Wendy uttering profanities is ten times hotter.

"Yeah, you are." Irene giggles, discarding the thought at the back of her mind. She moves her hand on Wendy's nape and plays with the soft hairs on it. "Just. . try to forget about it."

"How are you so calm about this?"

"I'm not. I'm just taking things into consideration."

"Like what?" Wendy's head whips to the side and locks eyes with the older, Irene's hand stopping just on the side of Wendy's neck.

"Maybe. . they're drunk. You know how you can't control yourself when you're intoxicated."

"Reasonable but still. ." she produces a low groan while she returns to bobbing her knee and Irene is there to calm her down.

"Let's stop talking about it." Irene proposes. "Before it takes a toll on you."

"It already took a toll on me." Wendy states matter-of-factly and elicits a loud laugh from Irene. She smiles at the sound, filling her heart with affection. "Look, let's not - nevermind."

"What is it?" Irene turns to Wendy with a serious face, curious about what she was about to say.

"I'm just saying. . can we not be like that kind of couple. I know we don't show PDA as much but we won't know what happens in the future, right?"

"We won't be like them." Irene assures with a smile while she interlocks their fingers. As much as she loves Wendy and wants the whole world to know that she’s hers, she’s also not a fan of PDA.

Wendy sees this as the end of their conversation and so she starts another one. "About what we talked in the balcony, have you-"

"I have. And I'm so stupid for understanding an hour after."

"Is it enough reassurance for you?" Wendy asks, a hint of worry laced in her voice.

"Yes, Wan. And I'm sorry for what happened this morning." Irene leans and holds Wendy's left cheek with her other hand, running the pad of her thumb as she examines it, slowly and carefully, afraid that it might break. "For hurting you."

"It's just a slap, nothing I couldn't handle."

"Still, it hurt you and the fact that I did it-"

"I told you it's fine." Wendy shakes her head, grabbing a hold of the hand on her cheek. "I'd say, you're good at slapping."

"Not helping, Wan." Irene scolds lightheartedly, a small smile gracing her lips and her cheeks starting to turn to a light shade of pink.

"I'm definitely fine. As long as you're still mine at the end of the day then everything's good."

"I'm sorry." Irene lets a tear roll down her cheek as she stifles a sob.

"Sh, it's okay." Wendy coos, wiping the tear on Irene's cheek. "You don't have to be sorry anymore."

"I feel so stupid."

"Stop. You're not." Wendy presses her lips on Irene's soft ones for a moment before leaning back slightly and looks at her in the eyes. "I love you." She smiles. "And like I said, the moon doesn't care about the people gazing at her or how they want to stare at her for a long time. All the moon cares about is the sun, her light and attention. So don't be jealous, okay? I'm all yours."

"You're mine." Irene tests the words on her lips, repeating it for good measure before she breaks out into a smile. "You're mine, Son Seungwan."

"I am yours, baby."

Irene's heart swells at the endearment, the urge to kiss the younger is stronger than ever. She decides to lean in, capture Wendy's lips on her own as they get lost in their own world with nothing but the feeling of each other's lips as they let out small sounds of moans and sigh. Irene's hands then lock themselves on Wendy's nape, pulling her closer as she deepens their kiss. Wendy on the other hand, roams one of her hands on Irene's back, eliciting a soft moan from the older.

"Babe, wait," Wendy pulls away, lips quite swollen and with blown pupils as she pants. Irene could be much worse as she internally curses Wendy and her stupid interruption.

"What is it?"

"I told you, no PDA." Wendy reminds the older girl of their sudden agreement, eyes scanning the deserted parking lot.

"Wan, this is not PDA. We're the only ones in the parking lot-"

"And so are the couple from before, not until we walked in on them."

"We're inside your car." Irene adds, eyes on Wendy as she starts to feel annoyed by the younger's attitude.

"Still, we're inside the parking lot. And my windows are not that tainted. What if someone comes? Or worse, my parents?" Wendy sighs in exasperation.

There's no way for Irene to win this argument.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry." Irene quickly apologises, reconsidering the younger's reasons. "You're just so irresistible."

"Let's. . let's just go home." Wendy rotates the key and turns the car back on, eyes fixed on the road as she tries to drive her way out of the lot.

"Are you mad?" Irene asks slowly, worried that Wendy might be with how she's acting. "Baby?"

"I'm not mad." Wendy mumbles, finally getting out of the lot and into the deserted streets. "I'm just frustrated."

"Frustrated?" Irene feels herself smirk at the revelation.

"I badly wanna do it with you too, okay? But not in there. You just have to be so stubborn and continue like we haven't agreed about this before that happened." Wendy swiftly turns to the left, eyes still on the road while Irene's gaze fixed on hers with a glint of happiness. "Let's just continue this in our apartment, alright?"

"I'd like that." Irene smiles excitedly, shifting on her seat to face the road.