Into the forest

Into the forest

Eunha was walking in the forest slowly, she had her phone in hand, the flash on, trying to see where she was putting her feet, avoiding falling over the big roots and brushes. Eunha really hated the forest and really started hating halloween now. SinB was doing her best to scare her since they arrived at her family house. 

 

Usually halloween was a night where Eunha would eat a lot of candies and lay on the couch with her members to watch scary movies. She didn’t like scary movies but she didn’t care much about it as she would always fall asleep on Sowon’s laps 10 minutes after the movie started, she would roll herself in her favorite warm and soft plaid and not mind the movie at all.

 

But this year as they all got a break from work they decided to leave the town so when SinB invited them for the weekend in her family house in the countryside they all agreed, glad to be able to rest away from the stressing city.

 

“It will be fun they say…” mumbled Eunha as she kept walking in the direction SinB told her she would find the little abandoned cabin. It was cold and so dark and Eunha wasn’t reassured to be here alone but SinB was making fun of her, calling her a chicken, and she wasn’t one, she wasn’t a baby anymore.

 

So when SinB dared her to go in the forest behind the house and bring something from the abandoned cabin as a proof, Eunha didn’t have a choice. She had to prove to SinB she was brave too and that she wasn’t scared of the forest. But deep down she was, especially all alone, at night, in the cold and in an area she never visited before.

 

Sowon tried to stop them as she heard them talk while playing cluedo with Umji and Yuju. She told SinB it was silly to make Eunha do that and dangerous as she didn’t know the forest at all but SinB reassured her by telling Sowon the forest wasn’t that big and that a trip to the abandoned cabin was easy.

 

It kinda reassured Eunha too to hear that but now that she was all alone looking for that stupid cabin, she started to be more and more scared. Some branches would crack under her steps and she kept hearing weird noises… Eunha stopped from time to time to listen more closely but as she stopped, the noises stopped too which was even scarier.

 

Eunha was feeling like someone was following her but as she turned around with her phone flash she couldn’t see much except trees, trees and again, trees. 

After some minutes, Eunha finally saw the cabin, it was all destroyed, a ruin. She approached the entrance to find something to bring back to SinB but as she saw something she could take and bend down to pick it up, the old and broken door squeaked. Eunha looked up and saw the door opening. She barely got time to register what was going on that  someone came out and rushed straight to her. 

 

Eunha took a step back yelling and fell on her over a root. As she looked up panicked and terrified, she heard some laughs, she saw SinB coming out from behind a tree and Yerin taking off the cape she was hiding in to scare her. Both approached her laughing.

 

“That was awesome Yerin!” said SinB high fiving her best friend and Yerin laughed.

 

“Oh my god her face was priceless, did you record it?” she asked, still laughing and SinB nodded putting her phone in her back pocket before offering her hand to Eunha but the girl was mad, she pushed SinB’s hand away and stood up quickly.

 

“I hate you both!” she told them as she started crying and ran away leaving her phone on the floor in front of the two clueless girls.

 

“She’s really no fun.” complained Sinb picking up the phone, she was about to put it in her pocket too when it vibrated.

 

“Baby girl? you okay, I just realised SinB left too, she may be up to something… -_-” read SinB seeing Sowon’s name on the screen.

 

SinB arched an eyebrow and showed it to Yerin who shook her shoulders. 

 

“Since when she calls Eunha baby girl?” asked SinB confused before looking around. “Eunha?” she called her friend. “Sorry.” she said as both girls looked around but they couldn’t see the short girl.

 

“Where did she go?” Yerin asked, a little worried.

 

“Eunha?” called again SinB. “Let’s go home now it’s cold!” she called again but still no answers.

 

“Do you think she went back to your house?” asked Yerin, feeling bad now.

 

SinB looked at the direction Eunha ran away and tried to see if the girl was around but her phone light wasn’t that powerful, allowing them to only see right in front of them. “I don’t know she kinda ran in the opposite direction…”  

 

“What do we do?” Yerin asked again.

 

“I don’t know... we should look for her, I guess she will get lost all alone there.” said SinB feeling guilty, it was her idea to trick Eunha and scare her with this silly joke.

 

Yerin nodded and they walked in the direction Eunha took. “Eunha?!” yelled Yerin and SinB hoping to find the short girl but after twenty minutes still no answers.

 

“.” mumbled SinB as Eunha’s phone rang.

 

“What?” asked Yerin.

 

“It’s Sowon, she’s gonna kill us if she finds out…” said SinB, scared of her leader.

 

Yerin bit her lips. “Maybe but it will be worse if we don’t tell her the truth…”

 

“Yeah…” said SinB before finally answering.

 

“Eunha-ya?” asked Sowon immediately. “Are you okay? I guess the girls scared you, Yerin isn’t around either.” she said before SinB had time to talk.

 

“It’s SinB.” she finally said.

 

“Ah it’s you, get your over there and bring your accomplice too, you know I don’t like it when you scare Eunha and I guess your little plan was to scare her in the forest right?” said Sowon with her motherly tone.

 

SinB swallowed hard, Sowon had guessed right but what she didn’t know was that Eunha was now missing. “We would love to come back but we are waiting for Eunha…” confessed SinB ready to hear the older girl yell at her but Sowon was silent.

 

“Where is she?” she simply asked.

 

Sinb hesitated. “We don’t know… she got mad at us and ran away dropping her phone…” explained the dancer with a little voice, knowing she ed up badly.

 

“You two are seriously impossible.” said Sowon coldly before hanging off.

 

SinB looked at the phone and then at Yerin. “She will kill us…” she said and Yerin made a face. “Let’s go back to the cabin in case Eunha comes back there.” added SinB and they both walked back to the abandoned cabin, they sat on the two little stairs in front of the destroyed door and waited hoping Eunha would arrive soon.

 

Suddenly they heard some noises, a crack, they both turned their head in the direction of the noises.

 

“Eunha, is that you?” asked SinB standing up, she took her phone and pointed it in the direction the sound was coming from to see if someone was there but the small light from their phone wasn’t the best and she didn’t see anything, then suddenly another noise, dead leaves were cracking as if someone was walking in the woods.

 

“Eunha?” asked again SinB a little scared now as no answer came. She felt Yerin standing up too and getting behind her, taking her arm and hugging it.

 

“Eunha if that’s you it’s not funny, you can show yourself now.” said Yerin looking around but suddenly it was calm. They stayed silent and listened around as it was very calm now.

 

Suddenly more noises came closer quickly, both girls yelled and jumped as a big rat passed between their legs and ran away inside the abandoned cabin.

 

Both got scared but slowly calmed down as it was only a rat all this time. “Seriously we are so silly, getting scared by a stupid rat.” said SinB reassuring herself and smiling at Yerin who also got quite scared by the rat. 

 

“There you are.” suddenly said a voice touching SinB’s shoulder and making her yell and jump again.

 

“Are you crazy?!” asked SinB as she faced Sowon her heart beating like a drum as her leader scared the out of her.

 

Sowon giggled. “So who’s the chicken now?” she asked teasing SinB who pouted. “What happened?” Sowon asked now looking around, she had brought a real flashlight, allowing them to see better than with their phones.

 

Yerin patted SinB’s arm and the girl rolled her eyes before showing the video they made of Eunha before she ran away.

 

Sowon seemed disappointed. “Well which direction she went? We better find her quickly, she’s alone in the dark and without her phone.” said Sowon, seriously worried for the short girl. “I asked Yuju and Umji to stay back home and tell us if Eunha finally came back.”

 

Both Yerin and SinB pointed their fingers in the direction Eunha took and Sowon went first.

 

SinB followed quickly and turned off her phone light as her battery was very low now. They yelled Eunha’s name many times hoping the girl would answer but as they kept walking and walking they didn't find the girl.

 

“You said the forest wasn’t that big but we have been walking around since 30 minutes now and we still haven't find Eunha.” said Sowon trying not to show how worried she was.

 

“It’s not that big seriously. I played there when I was a kid and never got lost…” said SinB but Sowon didn’t answer and kept walking. The leader was walking faster now and Yerin had a hard time walking as she was at the end of the line and almost didn’t get any light to see what she was walking on. Suddenly she felt something around her leg and yelled before grabbing SinB who jumped surprised by the sudden reaction of her best friend.

 

“What is it?” asked Sowon, turning around. Both girls put their hands over their eyes as the light was blinding them.

 

“Something caught my leg!” said Yerin moving closer to Sowon and far away from the spot she was in previously. Sowon looked down and saw a bush of ramble.

 

“You probably got caught in it, this is nothing.” said Sowon coldly but Yerin shook her head.

 

“No it wasn’t that I felt something really grabbing my leg.” insisted Yerin but Sowon sighed and turned around to continue looking for Eunha, walking away quickly before the two girl had time to react.

 

“Sowon!” called SinB frowning. “Wait for us!” she said as her and Yerin started running after their leader.

 

“I can’t believe you let her go away alone without trying to catch her.” said Sowon not looking at her members and keeping her fast walking into the forest.

 

“Well it was stupid of her to just run away like she did.” said Yerin mumbling and SinB agree with her. Sowon stopped and turned to face them.

 

“I don’t know which one of you all is the more stupid to be honest.” she said mad now. “Look at us, we are in this ing forest at night in the cold bcause of one of your stupid joke!” she said to the two girls who looked down. “Seriously I wonder who’s the dumbest here.” she added as she turned around but SinB frowned.

 

“Well certainly not your baby girl.” she said and Sowon froze.

 

“What?” she asked SinB who crossed her arms around her chest.

 

“You heard me.” just answered SinB and Sowon was blushing lightly. “I had Eunha’s phone when you texted her. Since when do you call her baby girl?” she asked using a mocking tone as she said baby girl to embarrass Sowon knowing the leader was shy about this kind of stuff.

 

“That’s none of your business.” just said Sowon but SinB inisted.

 

“Really because we all know you have your little favorite but if you two are more than friends then we deserve to know.” said SinB.

 

Sowon sighed. “Can we not talk about that right now? I don’t think it’s the right moment you see.” said the leader hoping SinB would just let it go so they could find Eunha before something bad happened.

 

“If you said so.” just answered SinB letting go for now but Sowon knew the girl would want an explanation later. 

 

They stayed silent a moment as they kept walking. It has been almost an hour now that they were walking. Sowon stopped and turned to look at SinB. “Where does the forest end?” she asked worried that they have been walking for so long and were still in the forest.

 

“There's a field in this direction I think and a road on this side.” she said trying to look around. “Or maybe the road is this way.” she said frowning.

 

“Are you serious?” asked Sowon and SinB shook her shoulders.

 

“What? by night it’s harder to identify where we are exactly.” she explained.

 

“I’m gonna kill you!” said Sowon getting closer to SinB but Yerin got in the middle to stop Sowon.

 

It the way Sowon dropped the flashlight and it turned off leaving them in the dark.

 

“!” said Sowon as she knelt groping the floor. 

 

“Yerin can you let go of me please.” said SinB as she was on her knees too to help Sowon find the flashlight.

 

Yerin hesitated. “I’m not touching you.” she said with a low voice.

 

“There's something on my shoulder!” yelled SinB getting up and shaking herself but in her panic she took a step back and her legs hit Sowon before making her fall over the tall girl.

 

“You okay?” asked Sowon reaching for SinB in the dark and helping her getting up.

 

“Something was on me.” just said SinB not reassured. Sowon reached for the girl and touched her as to brush away anything that could be on her.

 

“Better?” asked Sowon and SinB hesitated.

 

“I don’t like that.” answered SinB as they were in the total dark, the moon was bright but the forest was dense blocking most of the natural light and leaving them unable to see anything.

 

“Me neither.” said Sowon. “Don’t you have your phone? I forgot mine at your house.” she asked but SinB sighed.

 

“No more battery, and I don’t know Eunha’s password.”

 

“I do.” said Sowon and SinB rolled her eyes.

 

“Of course you do.” she mumbled reaching for Eunha’s phone to give it to Sowon.

 

Yerin who was silent till now got closer to them. “I have mine.” she suddenly remembered. She took it out of her bag and used her flash to look at the floor, at the same time Sowon Eunha’s phone flash too.

 

“Here.” said SinB grabbing the flashlight Sowon dropped on the floor earlier. “Are we good?” she asked turning it on and being reassured it wasn’t broken.

 

“Yeah I guess.” said Yerin. They all looked around not really knowing where to go now. 

 

They stayed silent as SinB looked around trying to remember which way was the road. In the silent and calm night they suddenly all jumped as a loud owl hooted close to them.

 

Sowon with her hand on her heart sighed. “Jesus!” she said before realising how scared they all were. “It’s just a stupid owl…” she said to reassure the girls and herself. “Let’s find Eunha and get out of here.”

 

SinB decided to guide them even if she was completely lost now, she never went that far in the forest by night, and with everything happening she wasn’t reassured at all. All she wanted was to leave the forest and go back home. All the trees looked like each other and as she was walking in front now she was wondering if they were actually going in the good direction.

 

Yerin started complaining about her feet hurting when a sharp cry echoed in the forest. Sowon turned around, the cry was coming from behind them.

 

“Eunha…” she whispered before running in the direction the sound came. SinB and Yerin ran after her but Sowon was tall and with her long leg she was taking big steps while on the contrary Yerin was slow, her feet were hurting too much, she wasn’t prepared for a long trip in the wood, it was supposed to be a quick joke but it ended up in a long and scary quest. SinB slowed down to stay with Yerin, taking her hand to encourage her to continue.

 

Sowon saw some lights that she followed and quickly arrived on a road. It was probably the road SinB was talking about, and seeing the direction they were taking before they wouldn’t find it that soon.

 

She looked around and saw a bus stop with a bench under a streetlight and Eunha. Sowon crossed the road and ran to her. “Eunha!” she called and Eunha looked up at her before standing up from the bench and hugging the tall girl.

 

“Thank god you’re safe.” whispered Sowon hugging the short girl tightly. “Are you okay?” she asked and Eunha nodded with her head into Sowon’s chest. “Why did you scream?”

 

Eunha let go of sowon and saw another light coming out of the forest, recognizing SinB and yerin walking in their direction the short girl shook her head. “Scream?” asked Eunha. “I didn’t scream at all.” she said looking at Sowon who seemed really confused.

 

Sowon took a step back and frowned at Eunha. “But we just, we heard you, it echoed in all the forest, a loud and painful cry… I could recognize your voice in it…” said Sowon more confused than before.

 

“I swear I didn't cry.” said Eunha.

 

Sowon looked around, she was sure she recognized Eunha’s cry. SinB and Yerin were beside them. The leader took Eunhas face in her hands and saw that the short girl was bleeding on the side of her forehead.

 

“What did you do?” she asked her as she looked closer to make sure it wasn’t bad.

 

Eunha shook her head. “I hit my head in a branch while running away, it made me fall and I was scared but when I looked around I saw some lights and followed them till this road. I’ve been yelling for Yerin and SinB names but didn’t get any answers so I waited here, I was hoping SinB would find me back.” she explained and SinB looked down as she failled to find Eunha sooner when all of this was actually her fault.

 

“I’m sorry…” said SinB sincerely.

 

“We are sorry.” added Yerin as she was part of the trick too. “It was silly and dangerous.”

 

Sowon nodded, glad the girls understood they went too far this time.

 

“It’s okay.” said Eunha as she hugged both Yerin and SinB. “Can we go home now? I’m freezing…” said Eunha and the girls nodded.

 

At least the road had some street lights so they could see way better and from there SinB knew perfectly how to get back to her family house, it wouldn’t take much time for them to reach the house.

 

“We got lucky you screamed loudly or we would have ended up lost too.” said Yerin and SinB hit her arm.

 

“I wasn’t lost.” she lied.

 

“And again, I didn’t scream.” said Eunha and both SinB and Yerin frowned.

 

Yerin glared at the short girl. “But we heard you back there.” said Yerin confused. “There was no mistake it was you I’m sure.”

 

“Well I’m telling you it wasn’t me.” continued Eunha seriously.

 

SinB looked at Sowon who was silent. “But we clearly hear it, did you hear it too?” she asked Eunha who shook her head.

 

“No, except for some crickets, it was quite calm, I didn’t hear anything.” explained Eunha.

 

Yerin looked back behind them. “This is weird there’s no way you didn’t hear it, it was coming from your direction.” she said, trying to understand what happened. “And while in the forest, did you feel weird stuff like someone touching your legs?” asked Yerin as she remembered this weird sensation she had many times while in there.

 

“Nope.” said Eunha getting closer to Sowon who was silent then took the older girl’s arm in hers.

 

“Seriously? You didn’t feel anything strange while in there?” insisted SinB as she had felt something on her shoulder too and this time it couldn't be bushes or some plants. It was clearly as if someone’s hand was on her shoulder.

 

Eunha shook her head. “I was scared at first and felt followed but it was actually you, and Yerin in there to scare me so…”

 

SinB got closer to Yerin. She was feeling weird too, something strange happened earlier to them. There was definitely something weird going on in this forest, she was sure of it and this terrible cry that guided them to Eunha… they couldn't have just imagined it as the three of them heard it clearly. SinB looked back at the forest too. Maybe it was actually hunted or something, she never believed in this kind of stuff before but after this night she was doubting her sanity.

 

SinB took Yerin’s hand in hers, it was kinda reassuring her.

 

As they arrived back home Yuju and Umji were reassured and asked immediately about what happened so SinB and Yerin immediately sat with them and started telling them about everything, and especially the weird and unexplained stuff they faced in the forest.

 

Eunha claimed she was tired and Sowon followed her in the room they were sharing. Sowon took care of Eunha’s little wound. Cleaning it and putting a bandage on it.

 

“It shouldn't leave a mark.” smiled Sowon before kissing the bandage softly.

 

 After getting changed into their pyjamas they went to bed. Eunha turned around to face Sowon.

 

“I lied back there, it was me that screamed… but I didn’t want SinB and Yerin to know, I saw a bat flying close to me and I was scared it would fly in my hair or something…” she confessed and Sowon smiled before kissing her forehead.

 

“I knew it was you, I would recognize your voice anytime… and to be honest I lied too.” started Sowon. “I touched SinB’s shoulder to scare her as revenge for what she did to you. They were already scared as Yerin felt something on her leg. It was clearly a plant or something so I continued to scare them more and made them doubt about what could be in the forest…” she explained and Eunha giggled.

 

“You are the best,” said Eunha getting closer to Sowon and kissing her lips this time. “I’m glad you found me.” she said getting comfortable into the leader’s arms.

 

Sowon hugged her. “Me too, I was really worried about you.” she confessed. “Also… it’s possible that... SinB and Yerin know about us…”

 

“Really? how?” asked Eunha surprised.

 

“You let your phone behind…” said Sowon.

 

Eunha nodded. “Right. Well at least we won’t have to hide anymore.”

 

“Yeah but they won’t let go about it before knowing everything…” said Sowon sighing as she already knew her members would want to know everything.

 

“Don’t think about it for now.” whispered Eunha. “Just hug me tight, I need to feel you close right now.” she said and Sowon smiled hugging Eunha close to her and closing her eyes.

 

In the end this night wasn’t that bad and they also both got their revenge on SinB and Yerin, tricking them while they wanted to trick Eunha at first. Sowon hopped it was a good lesson for her members, she hopped that in the futur they would think better before planning stupid jokes on her sweet baby girl.


 

FIN