Sad Smiles

Sad Smiles

 

I flipped through the channels with a sigh. Nothing interesting was on. I left it on a popular music show and was about to take a nap.

"Yun!" My sister squealed, darting into the living room. "You like Block B Oppa's?"

"Block B..." I repeated, finally looking at the TV screen. "Aren't idols supposed to smile on stage?"

"Yeah..." MiSoon frowned. "Their group is going through hard times. Zico Oppa, the one with the shaved head, shaved it to apologize." 

 "MiSoon-ah. Do you really like them?"

"Yes! I've loved them since day one. But they're getting so many anti fans now. I don't know anymore..." 

I shook my head. "Just because they're getting antis, must you become one? When's the next concert?" 

"There's a fan signing in Busan today. Mom said I couldn't go." 

I grabbed her hand and my purse. "Since when do you listen to mom?" 

She grinned and ran out the door to my car. "Unnie, are you really going to take me?" 

"Of course. It's been a while since I came home, huh? Sibling bonding time." I ruffled her hair and unlocked the door. 

"Eh... why couldn't you just live with me and mom? Dad isn't much of a guardian." She pouted. 

"I know... I just feel responsible." I chuckled, reaching for the radio. "He wouldn't be alone if it wasn't for me."

---

"We're here!" MiSoon squealed in happiness. "Unnie, hurry!"

I let her drag me to the lines. As we waited, I observed the faces of each member. They seemed exhausted, giving tired half smiles to the fans. 

As we reached the seats, I urged MiSoon ahead of me. She gladly dashed over to them. 

I followed, and one by one, shook hands with the members, giving quiet greetings. I reached Zico last. 

I knelt down and looked at him. "Are you alright?" 

He looked up from the paper, as though surprised. "Yes, why wouldn't I be?"

I hesitantly reached out and touched his short hair. "Just because you're an idol, doesn't mean you can't cry."

He looked back down and let out an exasperated laugh. "I don't cry in front of fans."

"I'm not a fan." I said bluntly. "Honestly, I'm only here for my sister. Crying isn't that bad, you know. It helps."

He stood up abruptly and I startled. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry."

"Then what about you?" He demanded.

"What about me?" 

"Why do you look so sad?"

"Because I'm human. I made a mistake in the past, and now it's hurting the people I love." I smiled. "But I cried, and now I feel better." 

I rubbed his head again. "Smile."

I shook his hand, but before I could let go, he gripped it and pulled me forward. I froze at the sudden contact of our bodies, but I quickly began to comfort him.

His hair was rubbing against my cheek and his head was buried in my neck. 

"No more sad smiles." I whispered, patting his back. "After you cry, you have to grin."

I felt his tears soak into my shoulder, and after a moment, he let go. I handed him my handkerchief. "It was nice to meet you, Zico."

He quickly wiped his eyes in embarrassment and bowed. 

"What was that about?" MiSoon asked, staring at me. 

I just smiled.

---

I flipped through the channels again. I had returned to DaeGu last week, and my father was out getting drunk once again.

I sighed and closed my eyes, letting the tears flow. A familiar song began to play and I looked up in surprise.

The song had just ended and the boys were now thanking their fans. The camera zoomed in on Zico, whose hair was slowly growing back. 

"I want to thank someone out there... who ever you are. Thank you for giving me back my smile." He said into the camera. A slow grin spread across his face and the rest of the members were beaming.

Through the tears, I stared at the screen and let myself smile too.