1/1 lunaiden

i hate war (i hate the thought of losing you)

“What?”

 

Yena’s military baggage dropped almost immediately to the cold pavement after hearing what Yujin said. Yujin sighs heavily before repeating.

 

“Let’s break up, Yena.”

 

Yena couldn’t believe that she was hearing that phrase from Ahn Yujin, the girls she cherishes. “B-but why?” “You already know it Yena.” Yujin clears before continuing. “I hate war. Everything that involves in war, inclu-”

 

“Including the soldiers who are trying to end the war?”

 

Yena feels like her heart drops and breaks to thousands of pieces when Yujin nods without hesitation. “Thank you for everything.” Yujin immediately turns away and is about to walk away before Yena grips her wrist. She turns her head around to meet Yena’s sorrowful gaze. “Can I ask you something?” Yujin nods and faces her body towards yena again. “Can you hug me and whisper ‘I love you’ for the….last time?” Yujin eyes Yena before letting out a weighty sigh. “Are you sure?” Yena nods “And please leave me immediately as I...” yena halts as she feels a big lump forming in . Yujin lifts her eyebrows, signing Yena to continue whatever she is trying to say. “As I might not be able to let you go afterward.” Yena averts her gaze and scratches her cheek, a habit she does when she’s in an awkward situation. Yujin lets out a heavy sigh again before approaching Yena, who is currently closing her eyes. She pulls the older into a tight embrace, drawing uneven circles on the latter’s back. She leans closer to Yena’s ears before whispering the phrase to the latter’s ear.

 

“I love you.”

 

Not in the request, Yujin softly puts her lips on Yena’s forehead, causing a lone tear she was holding to fall after. Yujin wipes it swiftly before walking away from the sergeant who is still closing her eyes, trying her best to ignore the tears rolling on Yena’s face. “I’m sorry, Yena.” Yujin whispers to the air, hoping the wind will make it reach the woman she just left.

 

Yujin waves her hand weakly to the man who is wearing a military uniform. “Why are you late?” Yujin gives the man a salute before replying, a little bit hesitant. “I met Yena.” The old man’s face tightened upon hearing the name of the woman who had been distracting his daughter. “I told y-” “We...broke up.” Yujin can feel a lump forming in after saying the phrase she never thinks she will ever say. Her heart hurts at how the man’s tightened face relaxs right after hearing her words. Yujin swallows her saliva before asking “Are you happy now, General?” Yujin is obviously on the verge of crying but General Ahn could care less. The only thing he cares about is her reputation. “She is a distraction to you, soldier.” Yujin looks away upon hearing her own father starts calling her the name she hates the most -or specifically she just hates her own father. It’s becoming more suffocating here so Yujin excuses herself. “I’m going to change to training clothes.” Yujin gives her father, General Ahn Seojin, a salute and walks away.


 

 

TWO YEARS LATER

 

| INCHEON AIRPORT |

 

    “Come back safely, unnie.” Wonyoung says while hugging Yujin tightly. Yujin just answers by hugging her sister tighter and placing a soft kiss on her forehead. Yuri, Sakura and Hyewon also hug the comrade after giving her more encouraging words and reminders. 

 

“GOOD AFTERNOON PASSENGERS. THIS IS THE PRE-BOARDING ANNOUNCEMENT FOR FLIGHT KE074 TO TORONTO. WE ARE NOW INVI-”

 

“And that is my cue.” Yujin said which makes the others frown. “I’ll take my leave now, goodbye everyone.” The others just wave their hands to the new soldier’s withdrawing figure. They can only wish that their cute big puppy can come back home safely.

 

Yujin walks into the departure gate, hoping that the captain of the squad won’t recognize her.

 

Yena is eating a plate of tteokbokki before eagle-like eyes catch a very familiar figure. “What is she doing here?” Yena puts the last piece of tteokbokki inside before standing up to see if she really saw ‘her’. As she steps forwards, a tiny voice calls her name. 


 

“Yena unnie!”


 

Yujin turns her head towards the familiar name. Her eyes widen when she sees Yena about 10 metres from her. She can feel her heart tightens when she sees how Yena ruffles the hair of the one who called her earlier. She immediately leaves the area before Yena notices her.

 

Yena turns around and smiles as she meets her gaze with her major general a.k.a her best friend, Chaewon. She ruffles the latter’s hair before saying. “How many times do I-” “Yeah, yeah, I know but isn't it cute if I call you unnie?” “Stop flirting with me, kiddo.” Yena shakes her head and looks at where she saw ‘her’ but unfortunately ‘she’ is now gone. “What are you looking for, Yena?” Yena just lets out a sigh before putting her arm on Chaewon’s shoulder. “I mislook. I thought it was, you know, ‘her’.” Chaewon sighs and pats Yena’s shoulder. “It has always been ‘her’ you’re talking about.” Yena can only smile bitterly at Chaewon’s statement. “Move on, Yena. It’s been two years since she left you miserably.”


 

| TORONTO BASE CAMP |

 

“So, our main agenda here is to arrest Jake or his real name, Hwang Hyunjin. He is an infamous drug dealer. This should’ve been the police’s job but since this guy is a sly, manipulative one, the Toronto Police Department have called us, the best squad in ROK to arrest him.” Yena clears before continuing “We’ve been informed that he-”

 

| CAPTAIN CHOI AND SERGEANT KIM’S ROOM |

 

    Yena, or her code name, Aiden is now checking the name list of all soldiers involved in this mission, not until a certain name catches her attention. “Yujin Ahn?” Her eyebrows furrowed at the thought of Yujin joining the army. She shrugs the impossible thought from her head. “She said she hates war. There’s no way this is her, right?”


 

| NEAR THE BASE OF JAKE’S |

 

    Even though they have hidden themselves perfectly but somehow the guard outside the base caught one of the soldiers. Now, Alpha squad are firing bullets towards the base. Thanks to their large number of soldiers and weapons, the Alpha squad is leading, moving forwards, killing Jake’s minions one by one. Suddenly, a familiar voice can be heard from Yena’s in-ears. “There’s a way to enter the base from the back door!” Yena froze for a moment as she recognized the voice. “There’s no way she is here” Instinctively, she replies by saying that she’ll go and check it first. Yena shoots and shoots, before a bullet successfully wounds her arm. It was just a small cut for a soldier like her so she continues her way to the back of the base. There’s no one there except for ‘her’. Yena unwittingly grabs Yujin’s hand and looks at her with total confusion. 

 

    “Yujin? I thought you hated war?!” Yujin, who knows that Yena is coming, has prepared herself first. “I don’t hate war. I hate that you are always at the risk of leaving me, just like my father. I can’t afford losing both of you together.” Yena wants to talk to her (still) significant one but she knows this isn't a safe place to do so. “We’ll talk later, Ahn Yujin.” Yujin’s heart clenches upon hearing how cold Yena is towards her. Yena pushes her in-ear and talks “There’s a way! Carl, lead the others and please, be careful!” Yena's eyes wander around before she sees a man aiming his gun at Yujin. “Sit down!” She pulls Yujin down and luckily, the bullet misses its target. While Yena peeking and shooting towards the man, Yujin notices the blood on Yena’s right shoulder. Yena successfully shoots the man on his head. She looks at Yujin and sees the worried expression on the younger’s face. “Hey, I’m okay. It's just a small wo-” “But, it isn’t!” Yena flinches at the sudden shout from Yujin. She can’t lie that the wound is painful but knowing how worried the younger is, she can only smiles to persuade Yujin that she is fine.

 

    Soon, Chaewon and about ten other soldiers arrived there. Not wasting any seconds, they barge in the base and look like the luck is theirs. Jake is there, only accompanied by an armed man. Yena, being the fast thinker, shoots the man on her hands and legs. The man immediately falls to the ground, heavily injured. The squad then forms a circle, surrounding Yena, Chaewon, Jake and the injured man. “Well done, Aiden and Chloe!“ Yena and Chaewon remain unbothered and aim their guns at Jake. “You are arrested, Jake! Put your hands up and come here!” Jake is about to lift his hands but being the sly human he is, he pulls Yujin and puts the small knife right on her neck’s skin. 

 

    “Luna!” Yena was about to run to save Yujin but Chaewon quickly holds her back, preventing her best friend from getting injured even worse. “Don’t, Yena. You are already injured.” “Come closer and Luna will die!” Jake shouts while provoking Yena and Chaewon with his mischievous smile. Sergeant Eunbi who is behind Jake takes the chance and kicks Jake’s back, causing him to fall. Unfortunately, his knife manages to slash Yujin’s right shoulder, causing the latter to shout in both pain and shock. Eunbi sits on Jake’s back and immediately cuffs his hands with the handcuff. Yena immediately runs towards Yujin who is currently trying to resist the pain. “Hey, you will be alright, okay? Yena eyes the younger worrily while holding her for support. “Go and bring her to the medic. I’ll handle things here.” Chaewon shouts as she knows how worried Yena is.


 

| TORONTO BASE CAMP |

| MEDICAL ROOM |

 

    Yena immediately puts Yujin down for her back, giving her a seat on the bed. She approaches her other best friend, who is the head military doctor, Minju. “Hey, can you please treat her right now?” Yena points at Yujin. Minju eyes her up and down before asking “What about you, dumbo?” Yena eyes furrowed before the pain of the wound came, striking her again. “Hers is worse. Treat hers first, please?” Minju just sighs before walking after the selfless captain. Yujin, who sees Minju approaching her, growls like an angry puppy. Minju gets all the stuff ready while asking “So you finally meet her, kiddo?” “You never tell me that she is the capt- AUCHH!” Minju giggles as she feels the dead stare Yujin is giving her. “Surprise!” “Whatever, Minju unnie. At least i'm not being a coward and still not confessing at my five-years crush.” Yujin huffs in anger, not noticing Yena is behind her this whole time. “You don’t want to see me anymore, Yudaeng?” Yujin froze as she just remembered that Yena is injured too, of course she is here. “It's not like that…” Yujin whispers but it still can be heard by Yena. “I’m done. I’ll be outside. You’ll sleep here tonight, Comrade Ahn.” Yujin’s body shivers upon hearing Yena’s intimidating tone. “Good job, Ahn stupid Yujin. You have successfully made her mad after two years not meeting her.” 


 

THE NEXT MORNING

 

Yujin opens her eyes. She then feels a hand is intertwined with hers perfectly. “I’ve told Yena to sleep in her room and that you’ll be perfectly fine but she is just so stubborn. After you fall asleep, she sneaks in here and stays up all night, not breaking her gaze from you at all” Minju suddenly shares while shaking her head. Yujin can’t help but smiles. 

 

“She is still protective, just like in the past.” 

 

After Minju leaves to finish her work, Yujin then pulls the hand and gives it a soft kiss, waking the captain up. Yena stands up and lets go of Yujin’s hand almost immediately. “I’ll get going, now.” Yena then walks away from the room. “Is she still mad?” Yujin questions herself.


 

|INSIDE THE AIRPLANE|

 

Since that day, Yena was avoiding Yujin like she is invisible but they are definitely destined to be together. Their seats in the plane are beside each other’s.They are now sitting together, minding their own business. Truth to be told, Yujin feels like suffocating by this awkward atmosphere so she puts all her bravery and slightly touches Yena’s hand. Luckily, it caught Yena’s attention. “Yes?” Yujin's eyes wander around. “Urm, so you know…” “What?” “I’m sorry.” Yena knows what the younger is trying to say but she feels like teasing the latter. “For what?” Yujin who is nervous, scratches her nape “For, you know, b-breaking up with you and also about me being silent at the medical room a few days ago.” Yujin is more than glad that she only stutters once. Yena smiles softly at the sight of Yujin who is on the verge of crying. “Now that you have apologized, time for the punishments.” Yujin lifts her head immediately “Wait, what?!” Yena chuckles softly “Now, close your eyes, Yujin.” Yujin wants to argue but ends up closing her eyes. Yena’s smile grows wider as Yujin closes her eyes. “You shouldnt back away or the punishments will be heavier.” Yena moves herself forward as Yujin nods. Their faces are about inches away. Before Yena can proceed, she approaches Yujin’s ear and whispers, 



 

“I love you, idiot.” 

 

Yujin almost chokes at her own saliva upon hearing the three words she thought she will never hear again. “Yena, what are y-” Yujin can’t finish her words as a pair of soft and plump lips capture hers. 

 

Due to her reflex action, she backs away a bit, but enough to break the kiss. Yena thought Yujin didn’t like it so her tears started forming. “L-look, Yujin. I, I am s-sorry. I thought y-'' Yujin whose tears already fell, grabs Yena’s face and crushes their lips together again,causing Yena’s tears to fall also. The first thing that Yujin thinks is that Yena’s lips are soft, as soft as they look. Maybe even softer and the sensation is addicting, it’s like drowning in fluffy pillows and warm blankets.

 

Yena tastes like baby powder and lavender, just like how a baby the older is. Yujin loves it.

 

Yujin takes note of the way Yena’s lips move, slow like she’s savoring every little bit of this moment, and Yujin tries to match her pace, hand going to the back of her neck, holding her tight, now wanting to let go.

 

Yena hums against Yujin, feeling the thrum against , and it sends shivers down her spine. The hands against Yujin’s waist are warm, touch light and almost underwhelming. up until one hand moves to her cheek and it sends her snowballing into reality. Yujin breathes, and presses her lips lightly against Yena’s before pulling away. but not too much, just enough to see the barely sun-kissed skin, their breaths still mixing with one another. 

 

She brings her hands to cup Yena’s face, caressing every piece of skin she can reach. Yena’s features are filled with happiness, a content smile as she looks at Yujin. Yena’s hands drop to hold on to Yujin’s waist and Yujin holds on to Yena’s neck tighter. She brushes her fingers against Yena’s skin once more before kissing the constellations on the younger’s face, dark brown against lighter skin, staring into eyes filled with starry gazes. it reminds Yujin of a surrealist painting. except every inch of this is real. 

 

Yena giggles just as Yujin presses a soft kiss against her nose. She connects her forehead and Yujin’s together and Yujin feels the heat from Yena’s face. it’s cute. Yena’s cute. They both stare at each other, basking in the silence and soft sunlight from the plane’s window. Yujin combs through Yena’s hair, a small smile on her face as she stares at Yena. The way her eyes show her smile, all curved up, and the soft breaths that Yujin can feel slightly on her skin.

 

Yujin lets Yena’s hair fall through her fingers, soft ash gray strands splaying on Yena’s own shoulder. It makes Yujin think. “So,” Yujin starts, her voice cracking slightly. Yena hums in response, staring right into Yujin’s dark hazelnut brown orbs. “Do you want to go out on a date later?”

 

“But, we just got back from a mission, my dear comrade.” Yena chuckles as she sees how Yujin’s lips pursed into a small pout. She gives the pout a kiss before replying 

 

“We can go tomorrow,” She says as defiant as a half-asleep person can be, slowly losing all force the moment a yawn passes through her lips. “The day after or the day after that.” the words start to slur near the end, drowsiness sinking into Yena more and more. Her head falls slightly from Yujin’s forehead onto the younger’s shoulder, arms wrapping tighter against Yujin’s waist. “We have all the time we want,” Yena breathes out, finally succumbing to the hands of sleep with Yujin patting her head lightly.

 

“I,” Yujin smiles to herself, eyes closing slowly  pressing her lips on Yena’s crown. “I guess we do.” Lucky for her, the seat beside Yena is vacant so she carefully lifts Yena and lets her lie down, her head on Yujin’s lap. "I love you." Yujin lowers down her upper body and gives Yena one last kiss on her nose before she herself drifts into the dreamland too.