Basta

Basta

“For every action there’s an equal and opposite reaction.”

 

Gustuhin man ni Wonyoung na makinig sa guro niya sa harap, she can’t help but want to fall asleep right now. She likes studying, sure, but their science teacher’s voice really feels like a lullaby. She feels like she’ll fall asleep if this keeps up. Hindi pa nakatulong yung fact na natapat sa alas dos ng hapon yung subject, which is exactly good for some siesta time. To think na ganito yung sched until finals, good luck talaga sa kanya.

 

Napabuntong hininga na lang si Wonyoung and tried her best to focus on their topic at hand, of Newton’s three laws of motion.

 

But unfortunately, her best isn’t enough.

 

Naka-ilang kurot na siya sa sarili in order to stay awake. Hindi na rin niya mabilang kung ilang beses na siyang tumingin sa wrist watch niya just to check just how much time should she try to hold out sa subject na ‘to, (also how much time is left for this subject to end). And every time she did, she inwardly sighs kasi apparently, twelve minutes pa lang pala into the subject’s time but to her, it feels like an eternity had already passed.

 

She swears na mahal niya yung subject along with math but she agrees to the people who says that a student’s liking towards a subject can also depend on the teacher who’s educating them about it. Kasi minsan, nasa teaching style din talaga siya nakadepende and kung magaling magturo yung guro, no doubt that even the most difficult concepts can be easily digested by the students. And ayaw naman din niya sana mag-compare but their math teacher is one of a kind kasi kahit na madalas parang nag-ra-rap yung guro nila sa math, interesting and nakukuha naman din nilang magkakaklase yung topic.

 

Wonyoung can feel her eyelids getting heavier by the second. Paunti-unti nang nagsasara ang kanyang mga mata until she felt something graze her elbow that was resting on top of her desk. She lazily looked at the culprit first and saw her only seatmate, who has her eyes in front and even acting as if she’s listening and taking down notes. Wonyoung scrunched her nose in disbelief.

 

Siguro nakikinig nga talaga ‘to kay Ma’am. Grabe yung concentration niya eh. Wonyoung thought.

 

Or so she thought. Kasi pagtingin niya sa may elbow niya, she saw a notebook that was obviously opened at the back side dahil sa mga doodles and scribbles, (gawain niya rin ito lalo na kapag bored siya sa isang subject) but it’s minimal and there’s still a lot of space to write on.

 

‘Inaantok ka?’ Yun lang yung nakasulat in a rather small yet readable and clean penmanship ng kaklase. Wonyoung is and will probably be forever jealous of her seatmate’s handwriting. Ang ganda kasi tignan, parang font na galing sa computer sa linis. At siya din yung tipo na kahit anong ballpen man hawak niya, andun pa rin yung consistency ng penmanship niya. Unlike hers na madalas nakadepende yung penmanship sa ballpen, papel, at mood niya if she’s writing.

 

Wonyoung glared at her classmate first before writing a reply kasi naantala yung pagtulog niya but at the same time, she’s grateful because she’ll become distracted and would probably forget about her drowsiness because of this. And so, she wrote, ‘Obvious ba?’ before handing the notebook back to its owner.

 

Almost immediately, she received a response. ‘Oo.’

 

‘Pake mo ba? Eh sa inaantok ako.’ Sulat naman ni Wonyoung sa papel, pabagsak niyang nilagay yung notebook which unfortunately made noise a little too loud and caught their teacher’s attention.

 

“Ms. Jang and Ms. Ahn, is there something you want to share with the class?”

 

As if on cue, all of the drowsiness she felt earlier suddenly evaporated, “None, Ma’am.” She felt her face burning up due to both embarrassment and feeling flustered. She knew that it was a bad idea to notice Yujin’s notebook in the first place but anong magagawa niya, bored na bored na siya.

 

“If there’s none, then please listen, kasi lalabas ‘to sa exam niyo.” Their teacher went back to her tedious way of teaching. She’s just reading it from the book kaya tedious. Maybe if their teacher actually explains it with some more depth, it will become more interesting.

 

They both stopped what they were doing and really put their attention on the subject for the meantime.

 

Until, Wonyoung felt drowsiness creeping in again. And just like moments ago, a notebook was put on top of her desk.

 

‘Wag ka matulog.’ Yun ang bagong note na nakalagay sa likod ng notebook ni Yujin.

 

‘Bakit?’

 

‘Basta.’ Untag niya.

 

Yun lang ang natanggap niyang rason. She didn’t bother asking another question nor returning the notebook yet to Yujin. Kung aantukin man siya uli she’ll use it to talk to Yujin. However, somewhere between the subject’s time frame, it became hard to sleep and interesting dahil nagkaroon ng recitation kaya hindi na inaantok si Wonyoung.

 

Before, she used to just ignore her seatmate. Madalas kasi may sarili mundo si Yujin. Whenever she sees her in her peripheral view, Yujin is usually looking outside the window or probably writing scribbles at the back of her notebook. And no, they’re not even friends to say the least. She even disliked Yujin because of her unusual ways. The other girl always goes for the road less taken and Wonyoung usually conforms to the majority. And most of the time, their views clashes with one another and it’s one of the reasons of their disagreement with each other.

 

But maybe it’s also because of Yujin’s so-called ‘resting face’. And Wonyoung couldn’t help but prejudice the other inside her mind. It wasn’t Wonyoung who had labeled the other like that. She also dislikes saying it, but she agrees with them. 

 

Their classmates had collectively agreed that Yujin has that kind of face kaya nagmumukha siyang suplada. It makes them feel intimidated and makes it hard for them to approach her for a very long time, and the same goes for Wonyoung. And it didn’t help that the girl is also a transferee who seemed to already know her way in the school which left Wonyoung to do nothing to help her adjust, because Yujin seemed to be doing fine inside her own world.

 

However, it all changed when Wonyoung least expected it.

 

It happened more than a month ago. The day was normal, her classmates were being chaotic once again, and she was just busy doing nothing on her seat and everything was going as it usually does.

 

Until out of nowhere, her seatmate just dropped a junk food on her desk. Out of all the possible food that can be given to her, junk food pa talaga, and she doesn’t even eat them because it would mean more time exercising if ever.

 

“Ano ‘to?” Wonyoung asked and almost instantly she regretted that she used the wrong words.

 

“Nova.” Yung tono ng boses ni Yujin was almost saying ‘Obvious naman ata kung ano yan.’

 

Wonyoung tried her best to not roll her eyes and succeeded. “Alam kong nova ‘to pero bakit mo ako binigyan ng nova?” Tinitigan lamang siya ni Yujin. “Para saan ‘to?”

 

“Basta,” sagot ni Yujin. “Para sayo yan.”

 

Napa-kamot na lang sa ulo si Wonyoung dahil sa sagot ng kaklase. She didn’t bother eating it but she did keep it inside her bag and decided to give it to her older sister instead.

 

“Thanks, anyway,” sabi ni Wonyoung. Yujin only nodded as a reply and went back to minding her own business.

 

And since then, Yujin would just appear out of nowhere and do the most random of things which makes Wonyoung feel either bothered or grateful.

 

Just like now, class has ended and Wonyoung is on her way towards the bus stop but unfortunately, she forgot her umbrella at home despite knowing that it will rain this afternoon. Akala niya nadala niya ito kaninang umaga kaso wala ang pink na payong sa usual spot nito sa kanyang bag, and she even looked inside out of it and even at her locker pero wala talaga.

 

Napabuntong hininga si Wonyoung habang naghihintay ng isang milagro. I should’ve double checked my things this morning. Ayan mauulanan ka tuloy. She scolded herself. She also thinks that it is funny how she always brings her umbrella but whenever it’s with her that’s when the land is dry but when it’s not with her, that’s when it pours.

 

Napatingala siya sa langit at taimtim na humiling na sana’y tumila na ang ulan, but the rain doesn’t seem to be ending anytime soon. She clutched on to her bag strap, readying herself to feel the rain hit her and to run until she reaches the bus stop. She was about to plunge herself under the downpour when someone gripped her right forearm, preventing her from walking away.

 

She looked back and saw Yujin, with an umbrella on her hand. “Bitbitin mo na ‘to,” sambit niya at nilahad ang asul na payong.

 

“Huh?” Wonyoung stared at the umbrella but Yujin persisted to give it to her with pleading eyes. Wonyoung had no choice but to accept them. Wonyoung’s brows were almost meeting each other as she looked at the umbrella between her hands. 

 

Yujin offering her an umbrella is a first but it won’t help Wonyoung if she’d end up drenched in rain. Her gaze softened as she glanced at her classmate again. “Pa’no ka?”

 

Yujin lifted her index finger up as if saying, ‘wait’, her hands making its way towards her bag and put out a black umbrella. “Scout yata ‘to.”

 

Napa-iling si Wonyoung habang tinitignan ang kaklase. ‘Laging handa’ ang mga scout and Yujin could really pass as one. “Thank you.” 

 

“You’re welcome.” Yujin smiled just enough for her dimples to show. And Wonyoung averted her gaze back to the puddled pavements.

 

“Ibabalik ko ‘to sayo bukas.” 

 

Yujin nodded in acknowledgment and opened her umbrella. “Ayos lang kahit makalimutan mo yan ibalik.” Wonyoung was still formulating a rebuttal in her head when she saw Yujin nudge her head towards the campus gate. “Tara?”

 

Wonyoung made a mental note to not forget about the umbrella and without words; Wonyoung opened her sole protection against the rain and silently walked alongside Yujin. 

 

Wonyoung found it peculiar to know someone who brings two umbrellas when people usually just bring one that will suffice for them. She got curious to at least know the reason why and so she asked to also start a conversation between them, and not just to walk in pure silence. “Bakit dalawa ang payong na dala mo?”

 

Wonyoung thought that maybe her voice wasn’t loud enough for Yujin to hear under this pouring rain. She was about to repeat her question when she heard Yujin say, “Basta.”

 

They both fell silent for a moment because there’s not much to say when the last reply is a conversation ender. “Ang mahalaga di ka uuwi na parang basang kuneho.” 

 

Wonyoung tightly gripped on the handle and scrunched her nose by the subtle teasing she got from her seatmate. “Nakakatuwa yun?”

 

“Oo.” Yujin looked at her with bright smiling eyes, a huge contrast to this gloomy weather. And she saw how playful Yujin’s eyes were and this Yujin was different to the one she usually sees in class. One who rarely smiles and looks lonely. This Yujin feels different but in a good way for Wonyoung.

 

You should smile more often. Wonyoung thinks.

 

“Huh?” Yujin interjected Wonyoung’s train of thought. “May sinasabi ka?”

 

“Ako? Wala akong sinasabi rito,” sambit ni Wonyoung, maybe a bit too defensive.

 

“Ahh. Akala ko narinig kitang nagsabi ng smile.” Yujin explained without any hint of disappointment on her voice kung meron man, Wonyoung didn’t notice it.

 

That was when Wonyoung realized that maybe she had voiced out her thoughts without her knowing. She doesn’t know if Yujin really bought that obvious lie but at least the other didn’t ask further about it. They changed topic towards the certain drama that they were both watching to make their walk a little more comfortable and a little less awkward.

 

And eventually, they had to bid their goodbyes to each other for they live on different parts of the city.

 

Somehow, Wonyoung feel a lot closer to Yujin because of this, like they’re really friends now, and most of all, she’s grateful for the umbrella.

 

---

 

“Huh? Nawawala notebook mo?”

 

Wonyoung wanted to cry. This had never happened to her. Ever. This is the first time she experienced this and she honestly doesn’t know what to do. “Wala sa bag at sa locker.”

 

“Wala sa ilalim ng desk mo?”

 

Wonyoung had already checked every place where she could’ve possibly left it but there’s no math notebook in sight. “Wala rin.” Kahit library pinuntahan na niya para tignan kung may bakas ng anino ang kwaderno kaso wala rin dun.

 

“Baka naiwan mo sa bahay niyo kasi nagmadali ka kaninang umaga?” Yujin sounded so unsure and careful of her words, not wanting to add more on the inner conflict her seatmate is already feeling.

 

Wonyoung didn’t think that Yujin would be the first one to notice her being in distress all because she really could have forgotten her homework at home. She did spend some time solving for x last night only for her efforts to go down the drain. She really wants to cry but she tries her best not to, and instead she stared at a certain spot on the floor and feel cold sweat forming on her forehead as she think of ways on how to explain why her notebook is not with her today.

 

Siguro tama nga si Yujin. She woke up late this morning, dahilan kung bakit muntikan siyang mahuli sa klase. As much as Wonyoung wants to put the blame on the drama she decided to watch so late at night, alam niya sa sarili na siya ang may kasalanan. Kung hindi lang siguro siya na-tempt na manood kagabi, edi sana maaga siyang nakatulog at sana rin nailagay niya ang notebook sa bag. Pero sadly, hindi ganun ang nangyari. However, maybe when she comes home, she hopes to see the notebook on top of her study table.

 

On Wonyoung’s peripheral view, her seatmate calmly took out two spring notebooks, one with mathematics on the cover and one that looks newly bought, and gently placed them parallel to Wonyoung’s desk. “Kopyahin mo na,” Yujin said. “May time ka pa bago mag math.”

 

Wonyoung’s eyebrows were furrowed in disbelief as she looked at the notebooks in front of her. “Hindi ba’t parang unfair naman sayo kung kokopyahin ko lang sagot mo.” She doesn’t want to copy others work and this is simply not in her values, to ride on someone’s efforts. “And also, bago ang notebook mo. Ako talaga ang bibinyag dyan?”

 

“Alam mo, kopyahin mo na lang talaga. Same naman ata tayo ng answers.” Yujin carefully said. “Kung sa tingin mo mali ako, itama mo na lang yung sagot mo para different tayo ng scores at di yun talaga kopya.”

 

“And about sa notebook, alam mo naman si Ma’am, laging pinapasubmit yung notebooks eh. Mas okay na ‘to kesa namang sa ibang subject yung i-pass mo.” Yujin paused and somehow it made sense to Wonyoung dahil mahalaga ang bawat kwaderno per subject. “I-tear mo na lang yung pages na nagamit mo and then paste mo na lang dun sa notebook mo pag nakita mo na.”

 

“Bakit?” It sounded quiet, almost a whisper from Wonyoung. She felt utterly hopeless yet Yujin became a source of hope, a ray of sunshine after the rain. Kahit na ganun gusto niya pa rin malaman ang rason kung bakit ganito ang kaklase.

 

“Anong bakit?” Yujin tilted her head in confusion. “Kung bakit may mali sa sagot ko, di ako mathematician. Sorry, pero at least nag-try ako.” Yujin scratched the nape of her neck; feeling embarrassed all of a sudden.

 

“Hindi yun ang ibig kong sabihin,” Wonyoung shook her head. “I mean, bakit mo ‘to ginagawa?” She wanted to stare into Yujin’s enigmatic eyes and look for any hint of emotions inside them, but Yujin already averted her gaze before Wonyoung even get to look at them. “Hindi ba’t parang unfair ‘to sa part mo?”

 

“Hindi kaya.” Yujin calmly said.

 

“O’ edi bakit?” 

 

Wonyoung disliked being kept in the dark. And most of the time, she feels like she’s missing something important here. Something that Yujin keeps on hiding from her. She honestly has no idea why her classmate is doing all of this. Isang tanong lang yun pero nahihirapan siyang malaman ang rason ever since.

 

“Basta,” Yujin dismissingly said. “Gawin mo na lang yan habang lunch break pa.” Yujin looked around their room and saw tons of vacant seats, silang dalawa lang naman ang nasa silid. Karamihan ay kumakain pa either sa cafeteria o outside of the campus. They quickly finished eating lunch and that’s why they’re stuck with each other’s presence.

 

Hindi na alam ni Wonyoung kung dapat ba siyang matuwa sa kaibigan dahil tinutulungan siya nito o kung maiinis dahil as expected, wala siyang nakuhang matinong sagot galing dito. In the end, she decided to just do what Yujin said, takot niya lang na bumaba ang grades niya sa math.

 

“Thank you.” Wonyoung said just loud enough for her seatmate to hear habang sinasagutan ang last question. Walang maling nakita si Wonyoung sa sagot ni Yujin kaya hinayaan niya lang ito. She honestly wanted to stop answering midway kaso nakita niyang nakatingin si Yujin sa kanya kaya she decided against it.

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

Natahimik uli sila at dahan-dahang nilapag ni Wonyoung ang kwaderno ni Yujin sa desk niya. Tapos na siya sa pagsagot sa math. “Libre kita mamaya after class.” Wonyoung stated.

 

“Di na kailangan.”

 

“Dali na.” Wonyoung pleaded while softly shaking Yujin’s arm. “Di naman ako laging nanlilibre tas ngayong may offer ayaw mo?”

 

Yujin’s laughter removed the dullness of the room. The seemingly empty room suddenly felt full. “Sige na tuloy.” Nailing na lang si Yujin dahil sa paraan ng pagtampo ng katabi.

 

“Yun oh.” Wonyoung smiled cheerfully because she was successful. “Anong gusto mo?”

 

Wonyoung just looked at Yujin who was staring intently at her eyes. She suddenly felt conscious with how she looks. Kung maayos ba yung buhok niya, kung wala bang dumi sa mukha niya, at kung mukha ba siyang presentable ngayon kahit medyo stressed out dahil sa math. But nonetheless, she stared back for some seconds and saw how Yujin’s chocolate orbs were pulling her in. She averted her gaze first and suddenly remembered the question she just asked.

 

“Huy, ano gusto mo?” Wonyoung snapped her fingers in front of Yujin in hopes to remove Yujin on her trance, and as if on cue, Yujin blinked a few times.

 

“Kahit ano.” Yujin lightly smiled. “Ikaw naman manlilibre eh. Tsaka okay naman ako sa kahit ano.”

 

“Ayos lang ba cheesedog?”

 

“Yep.”

 

“Tteokbokki?”

 

“Ayos din.”

 

“Paano kung ice cream?”

 

“Ayos lang din.”

 

“Macaroon?”

 

“Ayos din.”

 

“Paano kun—“

 

“Wonyoung, anything’s fine with me. Wag kang worrywart dyan.” Yujin lightly patted Wonyoung’s head and smiled again.

 

Wonyoung was at loss for words with the sudden gesture of her classmate. She feels small even though they’re of the same height yet she also felt warm or maybe that’s her cheeks slowly burning up. Dahil sa hiya, napatingin si Wonyoung sa desk niya kahit wala namang dapat tignan dun.

 

“Ice cream na lang tayo mamaya?”

 

“Sige,” Wonyoung heard Yujin say. “Kung ano gusto mo, dun tayo.”

 

---

 

“Wonyoung, please disseminate this to the other classes in your level.”

 

Ilang araw na mula nung nilbre ni Wonyoung si Yujin ng cheesedog bilang parte ng kanyang pasasalamat. Although she said ice cream with finality during lunch break but by the time after class came, she heard Yujin’s tummy growl and ice cream on an empty stomach is not exactly healthy. At nung napadaan sila sa isang cheesedog shop, dun na niya nilibre si Yujin.

 

Ngayon, katatapos lang ng emergency meeting ng student council dahil sa nalalapit na sports fest at birthday ng principal. And Wonyoung, being the level representative, was tasked to spread the news about the surprise, try outs and other things related to it.

 

Pero hindi niya pa rin alam kung bakit kailangan pa nilang “isurprise” and principal. Di niya alam kung may unspoken rules ang student council presidents na dapat maghanda para sa birthday ng punong guro every year o sadyang sipsip lang sila. Ganunpaman, wala naman siyang ibang choice kundi sumunod sa utos ng nakakataas.

 

Pagbalik ni Wonyoung sa silid, wala na ang kanilang guro, at ang iba sa kanyang mga kaklase ay nag chichismisan na sa gilid, ang iba ay natutulog at ang iba naman ay gumagamit na ng phone. Wonyoung thought that maybe their teacher is late or maybe the teachers have an emergency meeting of their own.

 

Sinarado ni Wonyoung ang pinto sa kanyang pagpasok, takot niya lang na baka dumaan ang principal at marinig ang kanyang mga sasabihin. “Guys! Announcement!”

 

Tila natigilan ang lahat sa kanilang mga ginagawa at nakinig sa taong nagsasalita sa harapan. “Malapit na birthday ng Principal natin at sabi ng council, wala naman nang needed na contribution for this event pero if possible mag dala daw ng anything na yellow bukas kasi yun daw favorite color ng principal.”

 

“Bale ang ganap, may selected boys na mag bibigay sa kanya ng rose at isasayaw din daw siya. And sa grounds ‘to mangyayari kaya walang class during the time na iggreet si Ma’am pero back to class uli after that. And also, walang aabsent bukas kasi required pa rin pumasok dahil may quiz tayo sa science at mabilis lang naman din yung event.” Wonyoung took a pause. “Malalaman natin bukas kung anong oras yung “surprise”.”

 

Wonyoung feels grateful that her classmates are cooperative and attentive. “One more thing, yung ipapaskil ko sa board is the schedule for try-outs for the upcoming sports fest. Paki check niyo na lang yung try-out dates for the events that you’re interested in joining.” Idinikit na ni Wonyoung ang papel.

 

Wonyoung turned to them again. “Kung may tanong kayo, itanong niyo sakin and I’ll forward it to the higher ups.” 

 

Wonyoung heard them murmur and some of them headed straight to the board to check the schedule. Lumapit si Wonyoung kay Jihan na busy gumamit ng phone. “I’ll head out muna. Paki-excuse na lang muna ako pag dumating si Ma’am.” Jihan looked up to her with questioning eyes and Wonyoung raised the papers on her hands. “Council works.” 

 

“Sige, Wonyoung. Ako na bahala.”

 

“Salamat.” She said in a singsong tone.

 

Wonyoung was about to head out when she felt a hand poke her arm. She turned back and saw a rather lost Yujin.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Samahan na kita.”

 

“Hindi na kailangan.” Wonyoung knows that she can do it alone. For her, this is as easy as a cake and she doesn’t really need to be accompanied by someone. “Kaya ko na ‘to.”

 

Yujin looked at her sternly and wasn’t even bothered one bit with Wonyoung’s intense questioning look. “I insist.”

 

“Bakit?”

 

“Basta.”

 

“Alam mo Wonyoung, hayaan mo na ‘to si Yujin kung gusto niyang sumama sayo. Don’t worry. Pareho ko kayong ipapaexcuse kay Ma’am.” Jihan interjected with the seemingly drama forming by the doorway and in front of her biscuit. “I gotchu guys.”

 

Natahimik silang tatlo. The silence pressuring Wonyoung to decide quickly, she sighed in defeat as she looked at Jihan. “Oo na.” Wonyoung glanced at her seatmate. “Tara?”

 

The duo started to walk side by side away from the room when they heard Jihan say something.

 

“Pasalubong Wonyoung ha! Salamat!”

 

Wonyoung snickered with her best friend’s comment and Yujin; she slowly shook her head in amusement. Even though she always sees the two interact with each other, to Yujin, the two best friends’ are interesting to observe, lalo na kapag nagbabangayan sila sa kung ano ang tamang sagot after exam.

 

In every class they visit, Yujin knocks at the door and when Wonyoung does her job, Yujin is left to stay outside of the room while waiting for the other to finish announcing the necessary things. She just observed her classmate from the side and when the other’s voice seemed tired from telling the announcements after going through the half of the classes from their level, it didn’t go unnoticed by Yujin.

 

“Ako na nito,” sambit ni Yujin while casually taking the papers away from Wonyoung’s grasp like it’s her job.

 

Wonyoung tried to get it but Yujin’s reflex was quick enough to put the papers up in the sky where her classmate probably wouldn’t get. She pushed her luck into snatching it away from the older but she suddenly became aware of their close proximity. Tuluyan na siyang tumigil sa pag-try na kunin ang mga papel at nagsimulang maglakad papunta sa next room.

 

Yujin kept walking and so did Wonyoung. Pero tila hindi natuto ang nakakabata dahil pilit niyang kinukuha ang papel kay Yujin dahil sa isip niya, responsibilidad niya iyon.

 

“Akin na kasi.” Wonyoung said as she moved to the older girl’s side with another attempt in mind. However, nasa next section na sila.

 

“Trust me. Ako na.” Yujin said as she turned to the younger, the papers behind her back. Last four na lang naman na ang natitira. “Ipahinga mo na lang boses mo. Baka mamaos ka.”

 

Wonyoung realized that really feels dry and that she needs water pronto. “Sige. Tapos daan tayo mamaya sa caf.”

 

“Sure.” Yujin knocked three times against the wooden door to start her work as a substitute of the younger. “Hintayin mo ako ha.”

 

“Duh.” Wonyoung rolled her eyes hearing the absurdity of her friend’s statement. “Para namang iiwan kita.”

 

“Malay mo.”

 

Wonyoung was just about to speak when the door opened and Yujin talked to the person about saying a few announcements. She watched her seatmate handle it and she must say that Yujin is doing well. Hindi niya inexpect na ganito ang kaklase. Yujin seemed shy but here she is saying the announcements without any nervousness that can be found on her voice.

 

In no time, natapos na si Yujin sa pag announce sa natitirang sections. “Tara sa caf,” sambit ni Yujin. Wonyoung nodded and followed Yujin. “Libre ko na tubig.” Wonyoung felt too tired to even argue kaya hinayaan na lang niya ito.

 

“Miss, dalawa pong tubig tas yung isa po hindi malamig.” Yujin said. “Ito po bayad.” Sabay abot ng pera sa babaeng nasa likod ng counter.

 

Wonyoung looked at the food currently displayed as she thought of bringing one to Jihan. 

 

“Sandwich.”

 

“Huh?” Wonyoung was confused. Bakit may biglang sumingit sa utak niya? She was contemplating about bring her bestfriend a sandwich or some chips instead.

 

“Mas bet ata ni Jihan sandwich.” Yujin suggested. Naramdaman ni Wonyoung na nasa likod niya lang ang dalaga, napalingon siya rito. “Don’t mind me. Nag-sa-suggest lang ako.” Yujin looked apologetic.

 

“Miss, isa pong sandwich.” Wonyoung said. The girl behind the counter told Wonyoung the price and Wonyoung handed over the exact amount.

 

Gusto na sana bumalik ni Wonyoung sa room nila kaso may ibang balak ang kasama. She doesn’t want to leave her classmate alone in this place kasi magmumukha itong mag-isa kahit na pumunta naman siya rito nang may kasama. She saw Yujin already seated comfortably at a table and Wonyoung decided to sit down in front of the older.

 

Wonyoung was drinking on her bottled water when Yujin spoke. “Pagod ka?”

 

“Di naman gaano.”

 

Yujin nodded knowingly. “Ikaw ba?” Wonyoung asked.

 

“Hindi rin.”

 

Soon enough they got engulfed in a blanket of silence. Medyo mabilis maubusan ng topic but Wonyoung didn’t mind spending time with her seatmate. She doesn’t know if she just got used to the silence between them or if she just feels comfortable with the person after spending a few months with her.

 

“Nga pala…” Wonyoung saw Yujin’s hand grab something from her skirt. She anticipated due to curiosity and Yujin ever so casually dropped a small box, which was decorated with a red ribbon, on top of the table, and made it slide towards Wonyoung. It wasn’t small enough for a ring, and it’s not big enough to be an eye catcher. “Belated happy birthday, Wonyoung.”

 

Wonyoung can’t comprehend just how unorthodox Yujin could be. It’s already been months after her birthday. For goodness’s sake, November na! Pero sabagay, Wonyoung thought of the adage that goes ‘it’s better to be late than never.’ 

 

Tinitigan lang muna ni Wonyoung ang kahon bago nagpa-palit-palit ang tingin niya mula sa kahon papunta kay Yujin, and repeat. “Ano ‘to?”

 

“Regalo.”

 

“Nag-abala ka pa. Tagal nang nakalipas birthday ko. At…” Wonyoung said. “Sayang allowance mo huy.”

 

“Hindi naman yun sayang kapag ginamit mo yan.” Yujin casually let those words roll off her tongue. Wonyoung isn’t sure if Yujin had always been a smooth talker like this or ngayon niya lang naencounter ang side na ito ni Yujin.

 

“Pwede ko na buksan?” Wonyoung still had her eyes on the box, curious of what’s waiting for her to see.

 

“Yep. Sayo naman yan eh.”

 

Sa totoo lang, kinakabahan si Wonyoung sa kung anong posibleng laman ng kahon. There’s a lot of possibility and she didn’t expect what she saw inside. It was a rose gold bracelet with “I am enough” engraved on it.

 

Wonyoung felt touched for with the mantra written upon it. “Yujin.” Wonyoung looked up and saw Yujin already staring at her with the same intensity she has seen before. “Salamat.” Wonyoung meant every syllable of the word and it came from the deepest parts of her 

 

“No no no. Ako dapat magpasalamat sayo.”

 

“Huh?” Wonyoung suddenly felt lost and confused. “Bakit?”

 

“Basta.”

 

Napahinto saglit si Wonyoung as she thought of a possible response. “Siguro naman as part of your belated birthday gift, baka lang naman sabihin mo na kung bakit diba? Tulad ng kung bakit andami mong ginagawa para sakin. Kung bakit may nalalaman ka pang belated birthday gift dyan.”

 

“Kasi hindi ko gets Yujin.” All this time she just wants to understand and get a proper answer to the question, ‘why?’ “Ipaintindi mo naman sakin please.”

 

Yujin looked at everywhere but Wonyoung’s eyes. Yujin had her attention of the box that was still lying on top of the table, but this time, it’s opened. She doesn’t know how to properly express her emotions or how to verbalize them. However, she’s sure of them since day one.

 

“Kahit isang line lang Yujin. Kahit ano as an explanation to all of this, okay na yun.” Frustration and desperation for answers can be sensed from Wonyoung’s voice. Yujin inwardly sighed as she let her tongue prepare to let the words roll off it again.

 

“Yung sa bracelet, I just want it to be a reminder that you’re enough. I hope you feel that every time you look at it.”

 

“What about the thank you?”

 

“M-maraming rason Wonyoung eh.” Yujin stammered. “Kung bakit gusto kong magpasalamat sayo.”

 

“Ganun ba?” Wonyoung still had her curiosity-filled eyes. “May main reason ba yan?”

 

Napa-isip saglit si Yujin. She doesn’t know if it’s the right time for this or the wrong time but either way, she wants to the secret she’s been hiding for months out in the open now. Ayaw na niyang kimkimin ito but she still doesn’t know the right words to say. In short, she didn’t expect for this scenario to happen. Kasi kung prepared siya, she could’ve written a long speech beforehand.

 

“Hmm.” Yujin started. “Teka.”

 

Wonyoung patiently waited for Yujin’s answer. While waiting, she had put the bracelet on her wrist and it was a perfect fit on her like it was really customized for her. She also didn’t mind that the bell already rang, signaling the end of classes for today. She didn’t mind if Yujin took her time to formulate her answer. She didn’t mind looking at---

 

Teka…

 

“Basta ang alam ko, mahal kita.” 

 

Did I hear that correctly?

 

“Pero huh? Ako? Mahal mo?” Wonyoung blinked a few times, her eyebrows almost meeting, her mind still trying to process the information she just heard. She saw Yujin simply nod to her question.

 

“Bakit?”

 

“Pwede bang dahil ikaw ang gustong mahalin ng puso ko?” Yujin caressed the back of her nape for feeling shy in front of the person she likes. “Yun lang ang alam ko eh. Gusto kita. Mahal kita.”

 

Wonyoung couldn’t keep up with how Yujin is blunt and straightforward today. When Yujin beats around the bush, she couldn’t help but feel curious but now that it’s the other way around, it suddenly feels strange.

 

“Eh bakit ka nag-papasalamat?”

 

“Thank you for existing.”

 

Wonyoung is simply at loss for words for she was taken aback. She didn’t expect that. It touched her to know that someone is thankful for her existence in this world. The statement alone is enough to move her heart but there is still something that bugged her mind.

 

She doesn’t know what exactly goes on inside Yujin’s mind, masyadong erratic, spontaneous, random, but definitely not typical. After spending a lot of time together, she’s aware that Yujin’s randomness is interesting and it’s a part of her charm. And maybe, just maybe, may mga paru-paro nang nabubuhay sa loob ng tiyan niya dahil sa kaklase.

 

“Sana alam mong I can’t reciprocate it agad.” Wonyoung started. She also doesn’t want to lead her on and break her heart.

 

“Don’t worry. Alam ko naman yung risks nito.”

 

Wonyoung bit her lower lip. “Sana mahintay mo ako.”

 

“Wonyoung,” Yujin called out to her. “Kahit gaano pa katagal.”

 

---

 

“Natagalan kayo.” Bungad ni Jihan sa mga bagong balik na kaklase. Siya lang ang nasa silid dahil 30 minutes na mula nang natapos ang last subject nila sa hapon, but there are still some bags left by their other classmates pero babalikan naman ang mga ito. “Pasalubong ko?”

 

“Ito oh.” Iniabot ni Wonyoung ang sandwich sa kaibigan bago ayos ang kanyang gamit.

 

“Nice. Binilhan mo talaga ako.”

 

“Syempre.”

 

“Thank you,” sambit ni Jihan and just observed the two fix their things. And a certain something didn’t go unnoticed by her eyes. “By the way, naglesson lang naman si Maam at wala naman ding pinagawa pero may quiz this Friday.”

 

“Ahh ganun ba?” Wonyoung mindlessly said. Her mind is currently preoccupied.

 

“Una na ako, birthday ng kapatid ko ngayon eh.” Yujin started. “Kailangan kong umuwi agad ngayon.

 

Jihan’s face lit up when Yujin said birthday. She likes birthday parties. “Pasabi happy birthday sa kanya.”

 

Yujin awkwardly laughed. “Sige sige. Makakarating yan.”

 

“Bye, Wonyoung.” Paalam ni Yujin. “Bye, Jihan.”

 

“Bye bye. Ingat pauwi.” Jihan casually said. 

 

Wonyoung was still busy fixing her things but still called out, “Bye, Yujin! Ingat!”

 

Jihan watched in wide eyes as the two interacted but said nothing, temporarily. 

 

“Wonyoung, spill the tea.” Jihan prompted the other to say something now that they’re walking home.

 

“T-e-a. Tea.”

 

“Hindi yun ang ibig kong sabihin.” Napa-face palm si Jihan dahil sa kakulitan ng kaibigan. “Crush mo?”

 

“Sino?”

 

“Si Yujin?”

 

Nasamid si Wonyoung dahil sa sinabi ng kaibigan. “Pwede ba, wag kang mambigla dyan. Nakakaloka ka.”

 

“Crush mo nga kasi hindi mo dineny.” Jihan raised her eyebrows in a teasing manner. “Yieee magkakajowa ka na soon.”

 

“Grabe yun agad?”

 

“Diba papunta na rin naman din yun dun?”

 

Wonyoung rolled her eyes as she shook her head in disbelief. “Ewan ko sayo, Jihan.”