final

It's too cold (for you here)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been three days.

 

Three days since the sunny weather woman told everyone to expect sweater weather during the afternoons for the entire week. Three days since Jeongyeon’s mother called her, somehow knowing better and telling Jeongyeon to prepare for a storm. It’s been three days and everyone around campus has been towing around umbrellas, raincoats and some even boots with how relentless the rain is.

 

Except for this one girl that seems to never get the hint.

 

Jeongyeon watches as the pretty brunette dashes through the rain for the third time this week with nothing but a bag on top of her head. Her clothes are soaking wet, and Jeongyeon’s surprised that she hasn’t gotten sick yet. Or that she attends classes just as unprepared as the previous days.

 

She’s a must be an idiot, or someone who really can’t be bothered, Jeongyeon thinks to herself. Though she must be as much of an idiot herself, to be so drawn to such a careless stranger.

 

As much as Jeongyeon wants to give her a hand, she always moves too fast for Jeongyeon to catch her, and she’s already made sure to bring an extra umbrella too.

 

But as luck would have it, the brunette woman slips. Jeongyeon’s quick reflexes send her running towards the woman, practically sliding through the wet tiles to get to her.

 

“Aaah—!”

 

“Woah!”

 

Jeongyeon crashes into something— no someone— as she tumbles down to the ground. Her quick reflexes grab onto the girl as she flips them over before they hit the tiles. Jeongyeon breathes a sigh of relief when she shifts despite the pain of landing on her back when she remembers that she decided to wear a raincoat today, despite Momo’s teasing that it looked tacky. In the end, her clothes are safe. 

 

The other woman, not so much.

 

“Yah!” A voice shouts, a hand smacking Jeongyeon’s shoulder repeatedly, “What was that for?!”

 

“Ow! Sorry, sorry,” Jeongyeon apologizes and shakes her head to get her now damp fringe out of the way, “I was just trying to help,” She mutters as she finally gets to take a good look at the woman on top of her.

 

“Help? I didn’t need any,” The woman huffs, dusting herself off of Jeongyeon as they both get up from the ground. She looks clearly displeased with her but Jeongyeon isn’t blind to admit that she’s… easy on the eyes. Nice to look at despite her disheveled and wet hair due to the continuously pouring rain.

 

“But you’re soaking wet!” Jeongyeon says after a pause, almost forgetting to respond if she hadn’t noticed how the woman in front of her is still very much drenched.

 

“What if I just like the rain?” The mystery woman counters with a raised brow.

 

“You’ll get sick that way,” Jeongyeon retorts, staring her down.

 

“If I do, then that’s none of your business,” The woman says, hugging herself. Jeongyeon frowns and thinks that she must feel cold. The rain hasn’t let up at all, nor has the wind. Before Jeongyeon can even respond to the woman, she suddenly follows up, “But of course I’m irresistible, so I guess I understand your concern. I’ll admit it’s cute, but no thank you.”

 

“What! No, what the—” Jeongyeon immediately backtracks and raises her hands, “That’s not it!” She gestures wildly as the woman in front of her flips her hair and struts away confidently.

 

“Hey!” Jeongyeon shouts, but the woman is already out of reach.

 

“Ugh,” Jeongyeon grumbles, shaking her head.

 

“This is what I get for trying to help.”

 

 

The next time Jeongyeon finds the mystery woman again, it’s still raining but she’s much more prepared now to make sure that the mystery woman stays covered and away from the rain. Creeping up behind the woman— she didn’t quite catch her name the last time after she so rudely assumed Jeongyeon’s kind intentions— Jeongyeon pushes her large umbrella open, covering the both of them before the shorter woman can even step out and run into the rain like the last time.

 

Honestly, Jeongyeon doesn’t even know why she keeps watching her and trying to help. But she can’t just let someone keep doing this, right?

 

The other woman screams out of shock, jumping and nearly falling over until Jeongyeon catches her wrist and pulls her back.

 

“No, hey! Get that thing away from me!” The brunette screeches, suddenly trying to push Jeongyeon away from her.

 

“Rude. I’m not a thing—” Jeongyeon lets go of her wrist and gets promptly smacked in the face.

 

“Ow! Why are you like this?!” Jeongyeon nearly drops the umbrella as she nurses her nose with her free hand.

 

“Not you!” She yells, hitting Jeongyeon’s arm and getting a few weird stares from those around them, “The, the—”

 

It’s at that moment Jeongyeon realizes what the woman’s been wildly gesturing at. By the time the blonde woman manages to close her umbrella, she’s already long gone.

 

“What’s her problem, seriously?” Jeongyeon huffs and scratches her head, “And why is she so jumpy, too?” She mumbles to herself, silently comparing the woman to a small bunny.

 

Cute, yet so easily startled.

 

Before Jeongyeon’s thoughts could go anywhere else, A laugh echoes not so far away from her, and Jeongyeon can already tell that it’s her roommate’s voice.

 

“Did that girl just... run away from you? What did you do this time?” Momo snorts as she moves to stand beside Jeongyeon, “Can’t say I’m surprised,” She shrugs and chuckles.

 

“Hey!” Jeongyeon frowns at her roommate who only laughs harder. “I just tried to lend her my umbrella and she just—” Jeongyeon gestures at the empty space where the girl used to be and then sighs, giving up, “But I bet you didn’t bring your umbrella either so just come with me so we can go home.”

 

“You go on ahead, I’m waiting for Sana,” Momo says and takes a huge bite of the ice cream cone she’s holding, getting some on her face.

 

“Of course you are,” Jeongyeon grumbles and pushes her umbrella open again. 

 

“Get home safe, grumpy!” Momo yells when Jeongyeon’s far enough from her. Jeongyeon can only flip her off back in response.

 

 

“Hyo, you won’t believe this!” Nayeon slams her books in front of Jihyo, causing a flurry of angry ‘shh!’s’ from all around the library. Her studious best friend barely flinches at the noise and doesn’t even bother looking up.

 

“What is it this time?” Jihyo sighs and without looking up, reaches for Nayeon’s wrist to pull her down to sit.

 

“It’s that raincoat girl, again!” Nayeon huffs as she carelessly pulls her chair forward noisily and plopping down to sit, earning her a few more glares from the other students.

 

Jihyo continues highlighting and taking down notes. As much as Nayeon prefers to have her full attention whenever she has something to say, she understands how Jihyo doesn’t have a lot of time to study with her many responsibilities, so she settles for her best friend’s partial attention.

 

“This girl, Hyo, it’s like she follows me!” Nayeon says, “I get it, she has a huge crush on me or something... But she tried to put an umbrella over my head! Who does that?!”

 

“Hm,” Jihyo hums in acknowledgement, highlighting a phrase on her notes before speaking, “Normal people who are nice do that, Nayeonie. You’re the only person I know who hates being under umbrellas, she wouldn’t have known that,” Jihyo says and shrugs, her eyes skimming through her notes. 

 

Nayeon hates it when she’s right, which Jihyo always is. 

 

But it’s not like that stops her. Im Nayeon is an unstoppable force, after all.

 

“Sure, we’ll say she’s just ‘being nice’,” Nayeon says, rolling her eyes, “Hyo, didn’t you listen to me yesterday? She literally tackled me to the ground. She’s either a fan, or she definitely has a crush on me!”

 

“Nayeon, Not everyone who’s nice to you likes you—”

 

“Yup, that’s definitely it,” Nayeon says confidently, flipping her hair, “She’s lucky she’s cute, even with that stupid raincoat on… I won’t let her hopes down just yet,” She continues. Jihyo stops reading her notes, capping her highlighter to look at her best friend.

 

“Nayeonie—”

 

“Thanks, Hyo! I know what to do now,” Nayeon says and gets up just as loudly as she arrived, pushing her chair into the table, “Don’t worry about me! Good luck on your exams, Jihyo-ya!” 

 

“Nayeon…” Jihyo mutters when the hurricane that is Im Nayeon disappears, dragging her hands down her face.

 

Just as Jihyo decides to deal with her chaotic best friend later, she hears loud rustling and flapping of a stiff material.

 

“Hey Jihyo, is this seat taken?”

 

“Jeongyeon?” Jihyo says, stupefied at the sight of the woman, “Just what are you wearing?”

 

 

Based on the bunny girl’s (mystery woman was much too long a name to call her with, Jeongyeon thinks) previous reaction to her kindness the last time, Jeongyeon’s decided to just bring a spare raincoat with her in case she finds the reckless woman running into the rain again. 

 

Holding onto the spare raincoat makes Jeongyeon wonder if the bunny girl has friends who cares about her wellbeing… or if they’ve tried and failed to get her to just avoid the rain.

 

Jeongyeon doesn’t understand how one could be this stubborn.

 

As if on cue, the woman enters her line of sight, just about ready to make a sprint into the rain. Sure the rain isn’t pounding like the first time they met, but that doesn’t mean that she should just go out into the open like that, Jeongyeon thinks.

 

Jeongyeon quickly strides forward and tosses her extra orange raincoat on top of the woman.

 

“What the—” The bunny girl practically yells, spinning around to face Jeongyeon.

 

Jeongyeon can only cross her arms and look away, “Just take it so you’ll stop getting wet,” She huffs.

 

“Why do you care so much?” The bunny girl asks before a devilish grin suddenly encompasses her face. Huh, Jeongyeon thinks, the girl has the most adorable bunny teeth too—

 

“Most of my admirers prefer to see me wet, you know?” The woman rests a hand on her hip as she smirks confidently at Jeongyeon.

 

Jeongyeon suddenly wishes to be blind for the rest of her life.

 

“That’s not— I don’t—” Jeongyeon fumbles for a response, much to the woman’s amusement, her grin growing wider by the second, “I— ugh. You know what, nevermind. Just stay out of the rain.”

 

“If it’s a name you’re looking for, it’s Nayeon,” Nayeon says confidently and actually puts the raincoat on, much to Jeongyeon’s surprise, “If it’s my number you want, you’ll have to work for it…” She continues but pauses, looking pointedly at the taller woman.


“It's Jeongyeon,” The taller woman says, disgust etched on her face.

 

“Jeongyeon,” Nayeon repeats, nodding to herself, “Work hard, Jeongie. I’ll see you around,” The woman turns around to brave the rain in her newly acquired raincoat, quickly leaving a bewildered Jeongyeon behind.

 

“Jeongie?” Jeongyeon huffs, “Who does she think she is?!”

 

 

Nayeon thinks it wouldn’t hurt to try, she thinks as she stares at the glaring orange raincoat that rests on her chair. The least Jeongyeon could’ve done was to not give her a raincoat that made her look like a neon road cone. Nayeon wonders why the taller woman even has this color, seeing as Jeongyeon herself wears a blue raincoa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter