Break Your Rule

Break Your Rule

"Don't forget your date tonight."

- Mom

 

 

Kkura let out a deep sigh upon reading her mom's message. For the past weeks, her mother has been setting her up for blind dates. This is after she told her mom that she doesn't like men. She hasn’t mustered the courage to tell it to her until her mom acted as her match maker. She thought that maybe her mom is finding it hard to accept what she admitted. She's attracted to women. If ever she would go on a date, it would be with a woman. Having that thought, she gave in to what her mom wanted. She went to every blind date set up for her. So far, all of it ended on one date. This time, Kkura wanted to stop going on the dates her mom arranged. She doesn't want to waste her time and give false hope to every man that she will meet but she also doesn't want to disappoint her mom. Today, she came up with a plan. She hoped it'll convince her mom to stop being her match maker. She called her best friend, Chaeyeon to help her.

 

 

"Where are you? Can we meet?"

 

"Cafe'. I'm interviewing applicants."

 

"I'll go there."

 

 

Kkura hurriedly went to her best friends cafe'. It's closed to give way for the job interview. When Kkura arrived, she saw the line of applicants but she still went in to meet Chaeyeon. One of the staff approached her and told her to wait as her best friend is in the middle of an interview. A few minutes later, Chaeyeon came out but immediately said that she can't stay out long. Kkura nodded then asked her to sit.

 

 

"I need your help."

 

"Why?"

 

"I don't want to go on blind dates anymore."

 

 

Chaeyeon held her laughter.

 

 

"So?"

 

"I have a plan."

 

"Spill it."

 

"I'll pay someone to pretend to be my girlfriend and introduce her to my mom."

 

"What?"

 

"I thought maybe this will convince her to stop setting me up on dates."

 

"Why not try a dating app?"

 

"I actually thought about that too but I'm not just into it."

 

"So, what do you need me for?"

 

 

Kkura pointed to the line of applicants. Chaeyeon chuckled.

 

 

"Number 19"

 

"Why her?”

 

"Why not? Can you recommend someone?"

 

"No. I can't disclose their personal information."

 

"I know. I'll wait here until she's done."

 

"Good luck."

 

 

Chaeyeon went back in, Kkura waited on her table. After a long wait, she saw applicant no. 19 went out. Kkura got up and followed her. Standing in front of the cafe', Kkura greeted the applicant.

 

 

"Hi!"

 

 

The woman looked up then smiled.

 

 

"Hi!"

 

"So, you got the job?"

 

"How did you..."

 

"Oh...the owner is my friend. I was there inside a while ago."

 

"Ah...they said they'll contact me. You know the typical response."

 

"So, you're looking for a job?"

 

 

The woman smirked.

 

 

"Isn't it obvious?"

 

"Sorry."

 

"It's okay. Did you apply too?"

 

 

Kkura smiled before responding.

 

 

"No. I asked her for help."

"Oh."

 

"I actually want to offer you a job."

 

"Really?"

 

"Yes."

 

 

The woman started to get doubtful and Kkura quickly sensed it.

 

 

"Don't worry. I'm not a bad person. You can check my background if you like."

 

"So, what's the job?"

 

"Pretend to be my girlfriend."

 

 

The woman was surprised on what she heard that she wasn't able to respond. Kkura checked the time. She had to prepare for her date tonight. She waited for the woman's response but there's none.

 

 

"I can explain to you in detail some other time. You seemed shocked and there's somewhere I need to be. So...can I get your number?"

 

"Won't you get my name first?"

 

"Oh, sorry...what's your name?"

 

"Eunbi"

 

"Nice to meet you, Eunbi. I'm Sakura, Kkura."

 

"How much?"

 

"Money is not a problem. I'll pay you every time we meet."

 

"How far we'll have to go? I mean..."

 

"Don't worry; we won't have to touch each other. No skinship except in front of my mom."

 

"I'll do it."

 

"Really?"

 

 

Eunbi nodded.

 

 

"Thank you! I know you have questions. Let's meet next time to discuss your job description."

 

 

They exchanged numbers then went their separate ways.

 

Sakura went on her blind date. She told herself that it'll be the last one. She also told her mother that. She even hinted that she's dating someone now, a woman. Her mom is still not buying anything she says.

Kkura wondered if her plan will actually work. She contacted Eunbi and they agreed to meet at Chaeyeon's cafe'. When Kkura arrived, Eunbi is already there.

 

"Hi!"

 

"Hi!"

 

 

There was a short silence before Kkura spoke again.

 

 

"Are you sure you want to accept my job offer?"

 

"I just need to pretend to be your girlfriend, right? I think I can do that."

 

 

Kkura explained her situation and why she needed someone to act as her girlfriend. She told Eunbi her job description. First, her job has to remain a secret. Second, they have to make up a story on how they met and ended up with each other. Kkura will tell her when they have to meet or be together. She even assured Eunbi that they only have to act sweet in front of her mother. She also said that they don't have to meddle with their personal lives while they're pretending to be lovers.

 

 

"Basically, that's it. Just do that and we're good", Kkura said.

 

"How long are we going to do this?" Eunbi asked.

 

"Hmmm...One month?"

 

"Okay."

 

"You think it's enough including the break up?"

 

"Ah, it's actually up to you. I'm fine with anything. I just needed a job now."

 

"Let's do that then. I've told you my rules, how about you, do you have any conditions or something."

 

"Just one"

 

"Shoot."

 

"Don't fall in love with me."

 

 

Kkura paused upon hearing what Eunbi said.

 

 

"I can do that", she responded.

 

"When do we start?"

 

"Now"

After meeting with Eunbi, Kkura stayed at the cafe' to wait for Chaeyeon. Her best friend has been nagging her for an update regarding her plan. When Chaeyeon came in, she saw Kkura smiling all by herself. She hurriedly approached her.

 

 

"Hey", Chaeyeon greeted.

 

"Oh, you're finally here", Sakura replied.

 

"What's up?"

 

"She took it."

 

"Really?"

 

"She said she needed a job, so..."

 

"You explained everything to her?"

 

"Of course"

 

"What's your next move?"

 

"We'll meet again to take some pictures and stuff, invent our "love story" then we're good to go."

 

"You have this all planned out, huh?"

 

"Yeah, I just want my mom to realize what I want. This is the last move so I have to make sure everything will go as planned."

 

"Though I don't completely agree with you on this, I want you to be happy. I hope this goes well but I also hope you'll find someone to love for real, a girlfriend, not a pretend girlfriend. I wish that for you."

 

"I want that too. Who knows? Maybe after this make believe relationship, I'll find the one for me."

 

 

Eunbi and Kkura have been in constant communication since the day Eunbi agreed to be Kkura's fake girlfriend. In all those times, it's all about planning their fake relationship. As previously agreed upon, they don't have to mind each other's personal business. Today, they met to take pictures together. Both of them brought set of clothes to have different outfits for the photos. They even changed locations for taking the shots. At first Kkura was hesitant to have skinship with Eunbi. The latter noticed it so she took the lead. She held Kkura's hand, intertwined their fingers, she wrapped Kkura's arms around her shoulder.

 

 

"I remember I said no skinship..."

 

"It's okay. I'm your girlfriend, right?"

 

"Right"

 

"We have to look like a couple, without awkwardness. Let's just do it so the photos will look believable. Just treat me like how you treat your girlfriend."

 

"I've never had one."

 

"Oh. Sorry."

 

"I told you, I've just had blind dates with men. I never experienced dating a woman although I want to."

 

"You're dating a woman now. I'm your girlfriend, Kkura."

 

 

Kkura became more relaxed after their conversation. The plan she had in my mind is not that easy to execute. There are things to consider if they really want to be believable. She realized it's hard not to get emotions involved. They have to believe that they are in love with each other to look real. She has to keep in mind that she's dating Eunbi now. She has a girlfriend. And they love each other.

 

After taking tons of pictures, the two called it a day. They went to a restaurant to have dinner and finalize their fake love story that they'll share just in case Kkura's mom asks. After placing their order the two browse at the pictures they took.

 

 

"We look good together", Eunbi commented.

 

 

Kkura was a bit surprised on what Eunbi said.

 

 

"No one will doubt us after seeing these photos", Kkura replied.

 

"This is a good start."

 

"You did a good job."

 

"We did."

 

 

When the food arrived, the two ate silently. Their quiet dinner was interrupted by a phone call. It's Kkura's mom. Kkura excused herself to answer the call. When she returned to their table, she saw Eunbi scanning their photos.

 

 

"I'm sorry about that. It's my mom."

 

"It's okay."

 

"I told her I'm on a date. She immediately asked for a proof. I told her I'll send one later."

 

"Let's take a selca now."

 

"Should I send it to her?"

 

"Of course, I'm your proof that you're dating."

 

 

Kkura smiled.

 

When dinner is over, the two get ready to go home. Kkura offered to drive Eunbi home, the latter took it. On their ride home, it is also quiet except for some questions they ask each other regarding their fake relationship.

 

"Why did you offer me this job?"

 

"I was just about to ask my friend for help but it happened a job interview was being held. I saw you in line with the applicants that day. I was planning to choose whoever but you caught my attention. And, you're number 19, that's my birthday."

 

 

Eunbi smiled.

 

 

"Thank you for choosing me."

 

"No, I should be the one thanking you for agreeing on this "job"."

 

"I needed the money. My situation is not that good."

 

"Of course I can't ask your situation."

 

"You can't."

 

"I hope things get better."

 

"With you too, I mean with your mom and what you want to get out of this."

 

 

Their conversation was interrupted by another phone call from Kkura's mother. As she was driving, Kkura answered on speaker. She glanced at Eunbi upon picking up.

 

 

"Mom"

 

"I saw the picture you sent."

 

"You believe me now?"

 

"Is she your girlfriend?"

 

"Yes."

 

"She's pretty."

 

"She is."

 

 

Eunbi was just listening on the mother-daughter conversation.

 

 

"When are you going to introduce her to me?"

 

"Soon, you'll meet her soon."

 

"Okay. I guess it's time for me to understand what you really want."

 

"Thanks mom. I'll see you soon."

 

"See you. Take care."

When the call ended, Kkura and Eunbi looked at each other.

 

 

"Your plan worked", Eunbi commented.

 

 

Kkura smirked.

 

 

"We're just off with a good start."

 

"You can just drop me off on the next bus station."

 

"Ah, okay."

 

"Just call me for our next meet-up."

 

"I'll wire the money tomorrow."

 

 

It's been a week since Kkura and Eunbi started "dating". Today, they decided to finally meet Kkura's mother. Kkura has been hinting on her mom that she's dating. They also sent a selca so they expected everything will go smoothly. Arriving at her mom's place, Kkura let out a deep sigh.

 

 

"Why am I being nervous?" she blurted.

 

"Isn't that a good thing?" Eunbi replied.

 

"You think so?"

 

"It's the normal feeling when you are about to introduce your special someone to your family. You get nervous, you want them to like her and accept her."

 

"I guess you're right."

 

"Don't worry. I think we're more than ready for this", Eunbi uttered as she held Kkura's hand.

 

 

Kkura looked at Eunbi then smiled.

 

 

"Let's go inside."

 

 

When they entered, Kkura's mom is waiting for them in the living room. They were greeted with a smile. Hand in hand the two moved forward to face the hardest part of their plan, meeting Kkura's mother. Now, sitting on opposite sides, Kkura didn't waste any time and went on introducing Eunbi as her girlfriend. Eunbi smiled as she looked at Kkura's mother.

 

 

"Nice to meet you", she uttered.

 

"Do you really love my daughter?" Kkura's mom questioned.

 

"Mom!" Kkura butted in.

"What? I just wanted to know if she really loves you. Is there anything wrong with that?"

 

"Kkura, it's okay."

 

"You call her Kkura and not baby or some cute pet names?"

 

"Mom, please!"

 

"I like her name. I love calling her, Kkura. She likes it too. We don't need pet names or whatever."

 

"You haven't answered my question."

 

 

Kkura was about to in again but Eunbi spoke first.

 

 

"I love her. So much", Eunbi uttered while looking straight into Kkura's eyes.

 

 

A short silence followed after.

 

 

"Mom...this is what I want. She's the one I love. This is your daughter, this is who I am. I would be glad if you accept me as I am and support who I want to love", Kkura uttered.

 

"I just want the best for you."

 

"I know, but you cannot force me on something I don't want. I went on every single blind date you set for me so that I won't disappoint you. If you can't accept me liking someone on the same , I'll understand. I just hope you won't push me to like men because you think that's what's best for me."

 

 

A longer silence occurred after.

 

 

"If this is what truly makes you happy, I guess I have to accept it. Though, it won't be easy on my part but, I'll try. You're my daughter and I love you, I should be the one supporting and not rejecting you."

 

"Thank you, Mom. I love you, too. No more blind dates?"

 

 

Kkura's mom chuckled. Eunbi held her laughter.

 

 

"Why would I set you up on a blind date when you have the one you're dating beside you?"

 

 

Kkura smiled. She looked at Eunbi who was smiling as well.

 

The moment they stepped out of the house, Kkura hugged Eunbi making the latter flustered. When Kkura came to her senses, she let go of Eunbi then apologized.

 

 

"I got carried away. We passed the scariest part, I'm just so relieved."

 

"I told you we're ready."

"You did a really good job."

 

"You too, so, what's next?"

 

"Let's see...for now, let's celebrate! I'm so happy. Come on, let's drink!"

 

 

Eunbi just followed what Kkura wanted. They had some drinks and Kkura can't stop expressing her happiness. She did all the talking that night while Eunbi quietly listened. Kkura pointed out every detail of what happened earlier. She kept complimenting Eunbi for acting so well as her girlfriend. She began telling stories about herself. At first, Eunbi ignored it but Kkura continued sharing how her dad left her mom, how she was left with her mom as her siblings were both married.

 

 

"Kkura, you don't have to tell me everything", Eunbi said.

 

"Oh! I forgot. Nothing personal, just pure business", Kkura replied.

 

"Are we done for the day?"

 

"Ah...yes! Sorry. I talked too much today."

 

"It's okay. I'll go ahead. Just update me on our next move."

 

"Okay. I'll call you."

 

"Be careful when you go home."

 

"Thank you for today, Eunbi."

 

"I just did what I have to do. No need to thank me. You're paying me to do this."

 

 

Eunbi left. Kkura drank a glass of soju as she watched her fake girlfriend walk away from her.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

"It's my birthday this weekend. Should we go out on a date?"

 

 

Eunbi smiled as she read Kkura's message.

 

 

"I mean, just for show. For sure my mom will ask what we did on my birthday."

 

 

Eunbi's face straightened. She sent a reply.

 

 

"So, how do you want to celebrate your special day?"

 

"Let's watch a movie."

 

"Alright, see you this weekend."

 

 

Kkura dressed up like what she usually wears on her blind dates before. After all, she's going on a date with her girlfriend...her fake girlfriend. Kkura bought their tickets, popcorn and drinks. She waited for Eunbi to arrive. Ten minutes before the movie starts, Kkura got anxious as her date is not showing up. There's no text either. She stood up and looked around. A familiar voice called her from behind. When she turned, she saw Eunbi. Her jaw dropped upon seeing her pretend girlfriend. A stunning beauty is standing in front of her.

 

 

"Sorry, I'm late. Let's go, the movie is about to start."

 

 

It took a few seconds before Kkura responded.

 

 

"Ah, it's okay. I got everything. It's just you I'm waiting for."

 

 

Eunbi picked up the popcorn and rushed to the movie theater. Once they found their seats, Kkura handed a can of Sprite to Eunbi.

 

 

"How did you know?"

 

"Well, when we meet up, you always order Sprite so..."

 

"Thank you!"

 

 

Kkura smiled. A couple of minutes before the movie start, Kkura told Eunbi that she's not used to watching horror movies. She easily gets scared. Eunbi whined at Kkura for not telling it sooner because she even asked her what she wanted to watch.

 

 

"You wanted to watch this and I thought maybe it's good to try something new", Kkura replied.

 

 

Eunbi was surprised with what Kkura said. When the movie started, she stared at Kkura before turning her eyes back on the screen. Just a few minutes in, Kkura used her bag to cover her eyes. Seeing from her peripheral view, Eunbi can't help but smile. She found it cute so she teased Kkura by taking the bag away.

 

 

"That's not how you watch a movie."

 

 

Kkura grabbed the bag back. She calm down then slouched on her seat. Eunbi smirked. As the scenes were progressing, Kkura's scream got louder too. It's loud enough to make Eunbi feel embarrassed towards other moviegoers. But still, she enjoyed this side of Kkura she's seeing. Halfway through the movie, Kkura gulped on her cola then sat comfortably. Eunbi stretched out her arm on Kkura's side.

 

 

"The next scenes will surely be scarier. You can hold on to my arm if you feel scared."

 

"Thank you, but I'll try to hold it in, as much as I can."

 

"Okay. Suit yourself."

 

 

Eunbi did not remove her arm on the arm rest. She's eating popcorn and drinking her Sprite while enjoying the movie. True enough, the next scenes caused a louder scream from the audience. For Eunbi, her seatmate screamed the loudest. She felt Kkura's hands gripping her arm. She chuckled. Kkura noticed it so she slowly let go.

 

 

"I told you can hold on to it. It's okay."

 

"Sorry. I didn't know I'll be this scared."

 

"No problem. At least you experienced it, on your birthday nonetheless."

 

 

Kkura forced a smile. When the movie ended and the lights were , Kkura breathe a sigh of relief while Eunbi just stared at her.

 

 

"You survived", she commented.

 

"Yeah, that was quite an experience."

 

"If I had known you're a scared cat, I wouldn't have recommended this film."

 

"Well, it's not bad for our first date...you know..."

 

"Yeah, let's take pictures, we need evidence."

 

 

Upon exiting the movie theater, Eunbi handed out something from her bag.

 

 

"Happy birthday, Kkura!" she greeted.

 

"What's this?"

 

"A gift"

 

"You don't have to."

 

"I know. I just figured, your mom might ask what I gave you. Better be prepared, right?"

 

"Thank you!"

 

 

Kkura opened the gift. A surprised look was all over her face.

 

 

"Don't overthink. I just love rings." Eunbi showed her fingers.

"I also thought it would be useful as we continue to act as lovers. You know, couple rings are common these days."

 

"You really are something. As I think about it, I'm glad I choose you that day. You're a girlfriend material. And, you look beautiful tonight."

 

“You too, you look wonderful and cute when you’re scared.”

 

 

Just like how their meet ups end, that's what they did today. They call it a day, say their goodbyes, promised to call each other regarding their next plan then go their separate ways. They've been sticking to their rules and everything is going well as they want it to be.

 

When Kkura arrived home, she went straight to her room. She threw herself to her bed then stared blankly at the ceiling. She reached for her bag then pulled out Eunbi's gift to her. Holding the ring on her hand, she started to have questions on her mind. But she quickly brushed it off. She got up to take a shower to prepare to sleep.

 

The next morning, Kkura and her mom were having breakfast. As expected, her mom asked about her date with Eunbi. Kkura told her what they did. To her surprise, her mom inquired about her girlfriend's gift. "Eunbi is a genius", she told herself. She proudly held her hand up to show the ring Eunbi gave.

 

 

"It's just a couple ring, mom. Don't get stressed about it."

 

"Looks like you're a happy couple."

 

"We are."

 

 

As they continued their conversation, Kkura's mom asked how she met Eunbi. With a prepared love story accompanied with photos, Kkura confidently shared it to her mother. Seeing how her mom reacted, it seemed believable.

 

It's almost a month since Kkura's pretend relationship with Eunbi started. Now that Kkura got what she wanted, her mom stopped setting blind dates for her. Her mother's acceptance of her orientation is seeing the light. Kkura contacted Eunbi to talk about their next step.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

"Do we plan the break up now?" Eunbi asked.

 

"Don't you think it's too fast?" Kkura replied.

 

"At this age, that's not fast. Some relationships last for just a few days, some just hours even."

 

"I know that. But given our situation, if we break up now, everything we built up until now will crumble. Simply put, my mom won't buy it. I might have to see men again."

 

"Then try dating apps after our break up. Tell your mom, you can handle dating on your own. Besides, she already knew what you wanted. We made it clear. I think she'll support you this time."

 

"That's possible."

 

"But, like I said before, it's all up to you. I'm in here for the money. As long as you need a fake girlfriend, I can do the job."

 

 

Kkura didn't respond.

 

 

"To be honest, sometimes I feel guilty towards your mom. You know what I mean? You'll admit to her everything when we're done, right?"

 

"Of course, she deserves to know the truth. Now I kind of feel sorry that I put you up to this."

 

"No need to be sorry. Everything we did is mutual. We both benefit from each other. Plus, I agreed to do it."

 

 

Kkura is thinking hard on what to do next. Her plan that started out so well, she wanted to end it without any hassle too.

 

 

"Three more weeks", she suddenly blurted out.

 

"Be my girlfriend for three more weeks", she continued.

 

 

Eunbi checked her calendar.

 

 

"Okay", she said with a smile.

 

"What did you check?"

 

"It will coincide with my birthday."

 

"And..."

 

"Nothing, I just thought, it'll be nice to do the break up on that day."

 

"What?"

 

"We'll celebrate, right? After succeeding to be a fake couple? It's a double celebration."

 

 

Kkura smirked.

 

 

"So, are we settled?"

 

"Yes. I have time to look for a new job after this."

 

"Ah...okay. For now, we'll wait, unless my mom asks about us."

 

"You too have time to look for someone you'll love, a real one."

 

"It may sound cheesy but I believe that we don't need to look for love, love finds us."

 

"That's why you don't want dating apps?"

 

"Probably"

 

"So, we're done now? Can I go?"

 

"Sure. I'll just update you."

 

 

 

Kkura went home with a lot of thoughts running on her head. Ever since their "date", she's been feeling something weird. After their meet up today, for some reason, she wanted to avoid talking about the break up. She wanted to ask Eunbi some questions, personal ones but they agreed that they won't meddle with those stuff. She locked herself in her room as these thoughts kept lingering. She tried to look her up on SNS but her accounts were private. Kkura threw her phone on her bed and stared at her hand. When they met earlier, she wore the ring Eunbi gave but the latter didn't even notice it.

 

 

"Why am I being like this?"

 

"I hired her to be my girlfriend, we had a deal."

 

"I can't fall for her...she even asked me not to."

 

"Am I kidding myself?"

 

 

When Kkura said they just have to wait, they literally just waited. They didn't meet for more than a week, the longest time they didn't see each other. That is about to end now since Kkura called Eunbi and told her that it's an emergency.

 

 

"What happened?"

 

"I think my mom found out that we're just pretending."

 

"How? What are we going to do?"

 

"Can we meet? She said she'll come to my place to talk to me. If you can get here..."

 

"Okay, the house where we met your mom?"

 

"Not there, at my own apartment. I'll send you the address."

 

"I'll be there."

 

 

Kkura heard someone outside her door. She hurriedly checked who it is. Upon seeing Eunbi, she felt at ease as she opened the door.

 

 

"Where's your mom?"

 

"On the way"

 

"So, she really found out?"

 

"I'm not sure but that's what she said. She sounded mad that she won't stop talking. She even said that me being attracted to women is also fake. I don't know what to do?"

 

“But where did she get that information?”

 

“No idea.”

 

“I even set my SNS on private to avoid any suspicions. Have you told anyone about our deal?”

 

“Only my best friend knew. But she won’t snitch out on me.”

 

"Should we just admit it, come clean now."

 

"But..."

 

"You're worried she will have it her way towards you again?"

 

"That and judging from her mood, she would never listen to my explanation."

 

 

Their conversation was interrupted by a text message.

 

 

"She's here. She's on her way up."

 

"Your plan?"

 

 

Kkura didn't answer. Someone rang her doorbell. The two looked at each other as if asking what they are supposed to do. The door suddenly clicked making Eunbi glare.

 

 

"She knows my passcode", Kkura whispered.

 

 

Eunbi grabbed Kkura's waist to pull her closer to her. The latter look flustered but Eunbi didn't mind. She kissed Kkura's lips.

 

 

"What are you doing?!"

 

 

A scream made them break the kiss.

 

 

"Mom! You shouldn't go in my place just like that."

 

"I thought you're..."

 

"What? I'm not sure what you heard but as you can see..."

 

"I'm sorry for barging in like that. I was just worried about you."

 

Kkura approached her mother.

 

 

"Mom, you don't have to be. All I want is for you to accept me as me. And I hope you'll understand my actions."

 

"You're my daughter no matter what."

 

 

Kkura gave her mother a tight hug. Her mom apologized again to them. The two just stayed silent though they are apologetic as well. Kkura accompanied her mom outside while Eunbi stayed in her apartment. After a few minutes, Kkura returned and saw Eunbi staring out the window. She wanted to say something but words won't come out. They were silent for a long while.

 

 

"I'm sorry I kissed you", Eunbi uttered while keeping her eyes out the window.

 

"It's fine. I was a bit shocked but I'm thankful for what you did. I should be the one who's sorry." Kkura moved closer to stand beside Eunbi.

 

"I feel sorry towards your mom. I feel guilty again."

 

 

Kkura glanced at Eunbi.

 

 

"I'm sorry. I put you in a difficult position. Sorry."

 

"This is what I signed up for but I just didn't know it'll be like this."

 

 

Silence took over once again.

 

 

"I should get going."

 

"Thank you again and I'm really sorry."

 

"You should talk to your mom again. We just have 12 days. I should do my job well. Let's finish this."

 

 

 

When Eunbi left, Kkura just stayed in her apartment. She called her mom to check if she's okay. After the phone call, she wanted to call Eunbi too. In that moment, she thought of just calling off their deal. She can't get out of her head the look on Eunbi's face earlier. She felt like she's being selfish all this time. Sure, she pays Eunbi but getting her involved on her personal problem is another story. In the end, she just sent a text message. "I'm sorry, Eunbi."

 

 

After three days, the fake couple met for what would be their last meeting for their deal. The agenda for today: break up. When Kkura arrived, Eunbi is already there. She saw her from the outside of the restaurant. She smiled as she saw her with a can of Sprite again.

 

 

"Hi!" Kkura greeted as she saw a can of cola on the table.

 

"Hi!" Eunbi replied with a smile.

 

"Here" Kkura handed the flowers she brought.

 

 

Eunbi was surprised. She was hesitant to take it.

 

 

"What is this for?"

 

"It's for you."

 

 

Eunbi took the flowers then Kkura sat opposite her. She smelled it and kept staring at it.

 

 

"Thank you for this, Kkura."

 

"You're welcome. Is this mine?" Kkura pointed on the can of cola in front of her.

 

"Yes, it's yours. You like cola, right?"

 

 

Kkura nodded.

 

 

Unlike the last time they met, they managed to smile at each other today.

 

 

"I'm sorry", they said at the same time.

 

 

They both chuckled.

 

 

"You've been apologizing, I'm sorry too. I got a bit emotional last time. That's not a part of our deal. I should just focus on my job, to be your girlfriend."

 

"You didn't do anything wrong. After that day, I felt like I dragged you in my own mess. I'm the one who orchestrated all this, so everything is my fault. Anyway, we're on the last stretch; let's plan how this relationship will end."

 

 

And they're back in business. Kkura and Eunbi planned how they will wrap up their fake love story. In the middle of their conversation, Eunbi pointed out that Kkura wore the ring she gave. She even added that, she wore it last time too. Kkura just laughed it off then placed her hand on her lap. She initially thought that Eunbi didn't notice it. After agreeing on what they will do, Kkura wanted to clear some thoughts that have been running in head in the past few days.

 

 

"Can I ask you a question? I mean, not about this, something personal."

 

"I thought we agreed that we don't need to do that."

 

"I know, just giving it a try."

 

"What do you want to know?"

 

"Hmmm...Are you in a relationship?"

 

 

Eunbi smirked.

 

 

"No."

 

"But you've been into..."

 

"Yes, thrice, including our relationship."

 

 

Eunbi chuckled. Kkura smirked.

 

 

"The situation you mentioned how was it now?"

 

"Thanks to you, I'm getting by. This job has been a great help to me."

 

"You helped me even more."

 

"Anything else?"

 

“Can I know your age? If you don’t mind”

 

“27. You?”

 

“24.”

 

 

They smiled at each other.

 

 

"You can ask me too...if you want. I'd be willing to answer."

 

"What's your type? What are you looking for in a woman?"

 

"Oh...well, to be honest I want someone a bit older than me. A good listener, someone who will listen to me even on the things I'd rather leave unsaid..."

 

 

Kkura took a sip on her cola.

 

 

"You...I mean, what's your type?"

 

"Hmmm...I like someone who gets things through, someone who works to achieve a goal, a person who owns up to responsibility."

 

 

Kkura just stared at Eunbi.

 

 

"One last thing...your rule..."

 

"What about it?"

 

"Why that?"

 

"I just don't want to mix business with pleasure. I don't want to complicate things."

 

"What if I break...?”

 

 

Eunbi's phone suddenly rang. She picked up then excused herself. After a few minutes, she came back and is in a hurry. She needed to leave. She apologized then grabbed the flowers Kkura gave before heading out. The latter stayed on her seat as she watched Eunbi leave. Today was different from their previous meet ups. They actually broke one of their rules, even just for a bit, they tackle personal stuff.

 

On her way home, Kkura received a message from Eunbi. Along with a picture holding the flowers she gave, Eunbi thanked her. The latter also apologized for leaving early as she had an urgent matter to attend to. She mentioned that she enjoyed the conversation they had. Lastly, she asked what Kkura was about to say before the call came in. She felt bad she cut her off.

 

"Next time, let's talk about it next time." Kkura replied then put her phone down.

 

She initiated that conversation to get some answers to the questions that's been bugging her. Although she doesn’t want to admit it, she knew she's in trouble. It's not part of her plan but it happened. She was caught in her own trap. Love found her.

 

 

 

***

 

 

The next weekend will be their scheduled break up. At this point, Kkura is torn between pushing through and holding back. She knew that she doesn't stand a chance because Eunbi made it clear from the beginning. But at the back of her head, she's convinced that she'll regret it if she ignored her feelings.

 

It's past midnight and Eunbi received a text from Kkura. When she opened it, it's just random letters. "This woman must be drunk", she told herself. A few minutes later, a call came in. It's Kkura. When she picked up, another person was on the line.

 

 

"Hello! Are you her girlfriend?"

 

"Ye--s."

 

"She kept asking for you. She has drunk so much I think it's better you pick her up."

 

"I'm coming. Please send me the location of your bar. Thank you!"

 

 

Eunbi rushed to the bar. Though she doesn't exactly know what's happening, her feet led her to Kkura's location. Upon arriving, she approached one of the staff and she was led to her girlfriend's table. She saw a drunken Kkura surrounded with empty beer bottles. With the help of some staff, she was able to take her. Not really sure where to bring her drunk girlfriend, she tried to talk to her as soon as they hopped in a cab.

 

"Kkura..."

 

"Wh...at?"

 

"Where should we go?"

 

"Apart...ment..."

 

They struggled to get in because Kkura kept saying the wrong code at her door. Eunbi just threw her on the couch the moment they got inside. She took bottled water then made her drink.

 

 

"Why did you drink alone? Did something happen?" Eunbi inquired.

 

"I...needed...courage..." Kkura replied.

 

 

Eunbi was clueless on what it meant.

 

 

"They said you're looking for me. You even asked them to contact me. And how did they know who to call?”

 

“That’s…your name…in my contacts…“Girlfriend”.”

 

 

Eunbi smirked.

 

 

"I...have...something...to...tell...you..."

 

"You're drunk, let's talk some other time."

 

"It can't...wait..."

 

"Just tell it to me when you're sober."

 

"Eunbi...I...broke...your...rule..."

 

 

Upon hearing what Kkura said, Eunbi paused.

 

 

"I didn't...intend to...but..." Kkura moved closer to Eunbi.

 

"I...love...you..." she uttered before landing a kiss on Eunbi's lips. She passed out right after.

 

 

Eunbi froze. She remained where she was for a while as she watched over Kkura lying on the couch. Trying to digest what she just heard, she let out a deep sigh as she tends to her drunken girlfriend. She took a pillow and a blanket from the bedroom. A curve was formed from her lips as she stares at Kkura. She gently caressed her girlfriend's head.

 

 

"You're such a fool. I told you not to fall in love with me." She moved closer to Kkura then uttered, "I love you too".

Eunbi kept speaking while Kkura is asleep.

 

 

"But...I can't. Not now."

 

"I can't love you. I'm sorry."

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Kkura woke up and her headache is killing her. She immediately looked for her phone, it's past lunch time. She headed to the kitchen to grab something to drink. A note attached to the refrigerator door caught her attention.

 

 

"You should eat to relieve your hangover. I just used whatever I found in your fridge. Don't drink too much especially when you're alone. I'll see you this weekend."

- Eunbi

 

 

A smile was formed on her lips after reading the note. She saw the food Eunbi prepared for her. Before eating, she took a picture then sent it to Eunbi to thank her. As her headache is starting to subside, she tried to remember what happened last night.

 

 

"Oh, sh..."

 

 

Kkura blurted out. She recalled everything that has happened. She wanted to call Eunbi but right now, she didn't know what to tell her. She called Chaeyeon instead.

 

 

"I need your help."

 

"Why? Are you looking for another fake girlfriend?"

 

"No. I fell for my fake girlfriend."

 

"What?"

 

"You heard me."

 

"Does she know?"

 

"I confessed to her, drunken confession."

 

 

Chaeyeon laughed.

 

 

"What did she say?"

 

"She said that she loves me too but she can't love me right now."

 

"Your plan backfired."

 

"I love her."

 

"Then go get her."

 

 

After talking to Chaeyeon, Kkura is thinking twice if she'll call Eunbi. She felt embarrassed on how she became such a nuisance last night. To add to that, she even confessed her feelings while she's drunk. Facing her right now is not a good idea, that's what she thought. After thinking it through, she decided to let the day pass without bothering Eunbi about what happened last night.

 

Two days from now was their agreed break up date. Their fake relationship is about to end on Eunbi's birthday, how ironic. But Kkura had a different plan. She doesn't want them to pretend anymore. "One last move", that's what she thought. Since she already broke Eunbi's rule, she's determined to go all the way.

 

 

"Let's meet. Please."

 

 

Eunbi was hesitant to reply to Kkura's text.

 

 

"We will meet in two days"

 

"Please."

 

"Okay."

 

 

At the back of her head she knew the reason for this sudden meet up. She found herself smiling as she realized that’s how Kkura is, determined. In that moment, she looked back on how their fake love story unfolded. She took the job for the money, which is true. But as their pretentious relationship went along, she sometimes forgot that everything is just for show. That’s when it occurred to her, she’s getting the job done not only for money’s sake but for Kkura. She likes her. But every time she gives in to her feelings, she’s reminded that it can’t happen. That’s her rule: no to falling in love.

 

In this meet up, the two of them were on opposite ends. Kkura is excited while Eunbi is hesitant. They greeted each other with a smile. Eunbi waited for Kkura to speak.

 

 

"I already told my mom everything", Kkura uttered.

 

"How did it go?" Eunbi asked.

 

"She scolded me at first but I explained in detail so she'll understand. She called me stupid for coming up with such an idea and told me to apologize to you for getting you involved in my act. Then she scolded me again."

 

 

They both chuckled.

 

 

"Eunbi, it's over. We don't need to pretend anymore. Your job is done. We don't need to break up."

Eunbi didn't respond.

 

 

"I meant what I said that night."

 

"You're drunk that night."

 

"I know but that doesn't change anything. Drunk or not I will say the same thing."

 

 

Kkura looked straight into Eunbi's eyes before she uttered, "I love you".

 

"And I heard what you said", she continued.

 

 

Eunbi was startled.

 

 

"You heard it?"

 

"You said you love me too...but you can't love me now."

 

 

Eunbi looked down.

 

 

"You heard it right."

 

"But why?"

 

"I can't love right now, Kkura. Love, it's not for me."

 

"Come on, Eunbi, break your rule."

 

"Can we just proceed as planned? Let's break up on my birthday."

 

"I told you we don't need to do that anymore. The deal is off. I even wired the money already."

 

"Let's do it, then I'll tell you why I came up with my rule."

 

 

The tension died down. The two went silent. Without saying a word, Kkura left first.

 

 

“Wait!”

 

“Come with me”, Eunbi stood up then held Kkura’s wrist.

 

“Where are we going?”

 

 

Eunbi was not responding she just dragged Kkura with her. After a long walk, the two arrived in a playground.

 

 

“Why are we here?”

“To answer your question”

 

 

A playground with kids playing around, they just stood outside and watched. After a while a little girl came running towards them.

 

 

“Mommy!” the little girl called.

 

 

Eunbi spread her arms wide open to welcome the little girl. Kkura just stood still. A warm hug was shared by Eunbi and the little girl.

 

 

“Will you say hi to mommy’s friend?”

 

“Hi!” the little girl uttered before running back to the playground.

 

 

Eunbi waved her hand as she watched over the little girl. Kkura was speechless.

 

 

“Did that answer your question?”

 

“She’s your…”

 

“Yes. She’s my daughter.”

 

 

Kkura was shocked. Eunbi noticed her reaction.

 

 

“Sorry.”

 

“It’s okay. I’m used to it.”

 

“How…” Kkura started to get confused.

 

 

Eunbi shared her story to Kkura. She mentioned the two relationships she’s been into. For two years, she was together with a woman too. They were so happy until she found out that her partner is cheating on her. After that, she met the father of her daughter. Their relationship started to turn sour when they found out that they were having a child. Her boyfriend started to get cold towards her. After giving birth, they separated. Eunbi raised their daughter alone. Though her ex-boyfriend gave child support, it stopped after a year.

 

 

“I can’t love, Kkura. Right now, my daughter is the love of my life.”

 

“That’s why you took the job?”

 

“Yes. It’s for her.”

 

 

They went silent after.

 

“I’m sorry I can only say I love you but can’t be with you”, Eunbi uttered.

 

“I don’t think I have the capacity to love somebody else. I’ve been pouring out my love to my little angel, right now, that’s all that matters”, she continued.

 

"I'll wait for you."

 

"Don't."

 

"I want to."

 

"I have a daughter, Kkura."

 

"So what? I love you the same. I said I'll wait."

 

"I don't know when I will be ready. Don't waste your time waiting for me. Find someone else to love."

 

"But I already found the one I should love."

 

"Let's just stop, Kkura. I can't give you what you want. Believe me, I wish I could. But I'm not ready to commit to someone right now. I'm sorry. I love you but I'm really sorry."

 

 

Tears started to fall from Eunbi's eyes.

 

 

"Let's just break up. Let's end this."

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

That's how their break up turned out, not as planned and in an unexpected way. Right now, their fake relationship officially ended. Though Kkura tried her best to make it real, she understood Eunbi's decision. A part of her still finds it unbelievable; she never saw that coming, not even a hint. The fact that she knew that they love each other but can't be together hurts her. She kind of wished there's a way they can work things out. She loves Eunbi. Even after finding out about her daughter, that love didn't change. In fact, she loved her even more. That day ended with a rather sad mood. If this is how it'll come to a close, Kkura wouldn't want to regret not saying the things she wanted to say. She asked Eunbi if they can meet on her birthday, the latter agreed.

 

They met on Chaeyeon's cafe'. They came back to where it all started. Wouldn't it be nice to end things where they began?

 

 

"Happy birthday!" Kkura greeted as she handed the cake to Eunbi.

 

"Thank you!"

 

 

Kkura handed her present to Eunbi.

 

 

"What's this?”

"Open it."

 

 

Eunbi smiled upon seeing what's inside.

 

 

"I figured you like earrings too."

 

"Yeah, I got a lot of piercings."

 

"The design is cherry blossoms. So, you won't forget me."

 

 

Kkura chuckled. She handed another gift, for Eunbi's daughter. The latter thankfully accepted it.

 

 

"I love you", Kkura suddenly uttered. Eunbi gave a concerned look.

 

"I just wanted to say that again", she continued.

 

"Don't worry, I understand. I really do."

 

 

Kkura paused before she spoke again.

 

 

"I have a wish for you though."

 

 

Eunbi just listened intently.

 

 

"I wish someday, when you're ready, you'll be able to break your rule. Fall in love. You deserve to be loved, to be taken care of. I hope one day, when someone comes and you fell for that someone then you suddenly remember your rule, just break it. Allow yourself to love and be loved again."

 

 

Kkura's voice cracked as she continued.

 

 

"Break you rule, Eunbi even if it's not with me."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-END-