More than this

Best friends and nothing more
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was in her first year of college when Saerom met Gyuri. It was an 8 am class and Saerom went to school early because she was excited. She was so excited on her first lecture in college so she went into the lecture hall with a big smile on her face.When the professor entered, she was sitting in the front row of the class. The professor then started to take attendance.

 

"Kwon Eunbi"

"Present!"

 

"Lee Donghyuk"

"Present"

 

"Jang Gyuri"

 

Seconds passed but no one was answering.

"Jang Gyuri student?"

 

Everyone looked around including Saerom. The professor was patiently waiting for an answer but no one was speaking until a sudden creak was heard. It was the door, and standing there panting was a tall girl who had beautiful eyes and an angelic smile."Cute," Saerom thought to herself.

 

"Yes I'm Jang Gyuri, present," the newcomer said between heavy pants. She quickly made her way to sit beside Saerom since it is the nearest empty seat. The girl smiled at her so brightly, muttering a small thank you.

 

Wait. Was that butterflies in her stomach? Definitely no. Definitely not. Aghh.

 

Saerom quickly brushed away the thoughts and focused herself on their professor. The attendance taking went on and she realized that there are a lot of pretty girls and boys in her class. After the class, the girl beside her went up to Saerom and befriended her.

 

"Hey, Lee Saerom right?", the tall girl asked while showing Saerom the brightest puppy smile that she had ever seen.

 

"Yes, and you are Gyuri-ssi," she replied. Gyuri nodded her head and spoke back to Saerom.

 

"I kinda have no one to hang out with since I don't know anyone yet. Do you mind hanging out with me until your next class? I'll treat you."

 

Saerom immediately agreed and they went to a cafe. I mean, who would say no to those eyes and smile. Coincidently, they had their next class together too. Ever since that day, they were inseparable. They clicked well and went everywhere together every time since they had some of their classes together. They became best friends. She and Gyuri lived in the same dorm but in different rooms, though they frequented each other's room all the time to sometimes study and at other times, to just chill around.

 

ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ

 

Midterm exams are now nearing. Saerom and her roommate were eating breakfast together on a small table in the foot of their bed. Their dorm room was neither too big nor too small. It has one bathroom and a little kitchen and a bedroom with two beds.

 

"Hanyang, are you going somewhere?" Saerom asked her roommate.

 

"Uhm yes. I'm going to the library with my classmates in my Philosophy class. We're going to study," Hayoung, her roommate replied.

 

"Oh, a group study! That sounds fun."

 

"It actually is. You can come with me if you want."

 

While munching on her food, Saerom slowly spoke, eyes not leaving her cereal, "No thank you. Actually, Gyuri is coming over. We're going to study."

 

A mischievous glint was evident in Hayoung's eyes which Saerom didn't notice. " What are you going to study? Each other?"

 

With that remark, Saerom choked on her cereal and started coughing endlessly with her face turning red. "W-what are you talking about? Exams of course! We're going to study for the midterms." Saerom blurted out with her red face clearly flustered and caught off guard with what her roommate just said.

 

"I was just messing with you, silly."

 

Saerom rolled her eyes, clearly still red from coughing too much.

 

"Anyways, I think I'll be back before dinner. You can ask Gyuri-ssi to eat with us. It's been half a school year and I still haven't met her properly. I'll bring some chinese take outs. How about that?" Hayoung suggested.

 

Saerom wanted to say no since Hayoung just made her cough her guts out but it was actually a good idea. Both of them were Saerom's friends so it kinda makes sense for them to be acquainted. "Okay. I'll ask Gyul and update you later."

 

"Ne. Now if you'll excuse me Romsae-ssi. I'm going to get ready now. Let me wash the dishes before I take a bath," Hayoung said in her playful tone. Hayoung has always been playful but it was the first time that the girl about Gyuri, which is her best friend. She muttered a small thank you with a smile and Hayoung immediately made her way into the sink.

 

Saerom never really questioned her friendship with Gyuri so she didn't understand where her roommate was coming from. Gyuri was just her friend and she was sure that the girl also doesn't view her as something more. But they were happy. They were happy that they have each other.

 

Gyuri arrived later in the afternoon. They spent about 3 hours studying since both were very serious when it comes to their academics. “ I think we covered pretty much everything we planned to study for today,” the taller girl spoke. “Besides, I don’t think My brain can take any more Maths for today. This week was really stressful.”

 

The older girl heaved a sigh and replied, “That’s right. Must be because of the nearing midterms. Every professor dropped a lot of tasks this week.” The taller nodded at this statement. “But it’s wise that we studied today, in that way we won’t have to cram right?”

 

“Yes, I’m glad we did. Plus you get to be with your favorite best friend even on weekends,” Gyuri spoke teasingly.

 

“Ha! Please, it’s not like we don’t see each other on weekends.”

 

“I know. Who else would I be with?”

 

Saerom just laughed at that remark. It is true that they spend an enormous amount of time with each other. Well it’s not like they have many other friends on campus. I mean they do have some friends, just not a lot, but they rather hang out with each other in their dorm rooms rather than going out with others. For them, they were each other’s comfort zone and safe space.

 

They cleaned up the papers that they studied and tidied up Sareom and Hayoung’s room. Gyuri packed her reviewers and books in her bag. When everything was in place and the room was neat again, Gyuri looked at her wrist watch. “Gyul,” the older suddenly spoke. The younger girl hummed in response opting Sarom to continue. “It’s only 4:30 pm, are you going to leave already?” Saerom looked at the other with puppy eyes and Gyuri swears that it’s the cutest thing she has seen so far.

 

“Well, what do you have in mind Saerom-ah? Of course I can stay if you want. I have nothing else to do. But what are we going to do hmm?” Gyuri replied, her eyes fixed on Saerom’s beautiful orbs.

 

“Movie! We can watch a movie!” Saerom excitedly said. How can Gyuri resist her beautiful smile?

 

“But isn’t your roommate going home in less than an hour or something?”

 

“She is. But it’s fine. Besides, she wants to meet you too. Oh! I just remembered, she said to ask you to eat dinner with us. She’s going to bring take outs. She really wants to meet you.” The taller girl stayed silent, probably contemplating on her thoughts when the older spoke again. ”Come on Gyul, stay hmm?”

 

“Of course I will, silly. How can I ever say no to you?” Gyuri replied while ruffling Saerom’s hair. If anyone sees them right now, they would probably think that Gyuri is the older. Well how can Gyuri not do that when Saerom was being so frickin’ adorable. Saerom smiles and jumps in excitement.

 

An hour later, Hayoung found the two watching a movie on what looks like Saerom’s laptop on Saerom’s bed. “I’m home!” she spoke, gaining the attention of the two in the bed.

 

“Hey Hanyang, you’re home.” the oldest in the room lazily spoke.

 

“Yes, I am. Hello Gyuri-sii, it's nice to finally meet you. I’ve heard a lot about you from Saerom,”Hayoung spoke in a serious tone while looking at Saerom with playful eyes.

 

Gyuri took her hand and replied,”Oh really? It’s nice to meet you too, Hayoung-ssi.”

 

“I’m glad you agreed with this. And i hope you like Chinese food.”

 

“Yes, I do. No need to worry. Right Saeromie?” Gyuri spoke with a smile

 

“Yes, she does. And even if she doesn’t, she’s too kind to refuse anything you offer her.” the oldest of the three said. The three of them laughed and proceeded to arrange the small table with Hayoung’s take out. They talked while eating their dinner. Mostly about Gyuri, as Hayoung insists that she was just getting to know her roommate’s best friend. After that day, Hayoung and Gyuri got a lot closer. Also because Gyuri hangs out a lot in the other’s dorm.

 

ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ

 

Time flies so fast. The end of their first year in college was nearing. Finally, it was such a rollercoaster experience but fun nonetheless. The roommates, Saerom and Hayoung were just hanging around in their room with the chicken and pizza that they ordered. While munching on a piece of chicken, Hayoung spoke, “Hey Romsae, what are your plans for next year?”

 

“What do you mean?” Saerom questioned Hayoung.

 

“Well we’re not freshmen anymore next year so we can live outside the campus. In apartments. Your own apartment.” With this statement, Saerom nodded, showing that she understood what Hayoung meant so the latter continued. “ Well, for me I think I’m gonna keep on living here in the dorm. My junior in highschool, Jiwonie, who’s actually a very good friend of mine is going to study here. We actually agreed that we’re going to share a dorm room until we can rent out an apartment when she’s a sophomore. You see we planned this way before.”

 

“Okay. That’s cool. You should introduce her to me one day” Saerom replied.

 

“Oh, okay. It’s fine?”

 

“Of course, why wouldn’t it be?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter