Nam Joon's confession

The Confession @ The Airport

It was raining heavily when she stepped out of the laboratory which had been her workplace for almost two years now. She still had plenty of time before checking in for her flight but she decided to start the journey earlier to prevent from any more missed flight. She can’t forget last year which was the first time she missed her flight, she cried so much on her way back from the airport because her hard-earned money was burnt just like that. Since then, she learnt her lesson to never book an early morning flight because she was not an early riser except on weekdays.  

She looked at the staircase in front of her but continued walking towards the lift because she had a luggage to carry. She saw a figure standing in front of the lift and as she approached nearer, she saw Namjoon, her co-worker and also a good friend of hers. “Hey Sara, what time is your flight?” Namjoon asked her when she stood beside him waiting for the lift. “9pm, How about you?” Sara replied. “Mine is at 10.30pm but I’ve finished my work so I’ve decided to might as well go to the airport now. How are you going there anyway, using the subway or taxi?”

“Taxi” Sara replied as she pressed the button to ground floor. “Great, I’ll come with you then. It’s a good thing I haven’t booked any taxi yet. I’ll just be a free rider” Namjoon grinned. Sara slit her eyes “I’m going to run quickly and leave you here”. Hearing that, Namjoon pressed the button to all floors in the lift. “What are you doing, u crazy man!” Sara’s eyes went bigger. Being on the fifth floor meant the door of the lift is going to open and close at every floor. “How old are you again Namjoon, are you sure you’re older than me?” Sara asked. “I just wanna spend extra time with you, I’m not going to be able to see you for two weeks’ time, do you know how long that is? Namjoon looked at her with his eye-smile. Sara’s heart skipped a beat when she saw him smiling especially with those dimples – her heart raced extra faster.

They both have arrived at the airport and were now seated facing each other in McD. Sara have already finished her chicken burger and is eating her Mcflurry now and Namjoon is eating his second burger. “Don’t miss your flight today ok” Namjoon said. “Stop reminding me of that incident, by the way that reminds me, why are you always with me whenever I’m at the airport” she curiously asked. “Because this airport is a public place?” Namjoon raised his eyebrow. “You’re not stalking me right?” Sara giggled. “Do I know you miss?” Namjoon replied.

They continued chit-chatting until they both finished their food. “How am I ever going to confess to her” Namjoon thought to himself. “She will probably take my confession as a joke because I always joke around her”.

Tears almost filled her eyes when Sara heard the announcement made. Her flight was cancelled due to the storm and bad weather. Namjoon stood beside her concerned and looked at her. “Once the weather is okay, you can still go back home, don’t cry”.

“I haven’t gone back home for two years and tomorrow is my grandmother’s birthday. I was supposed to celebrate it with her. I miss her so much.” She pressed her forehead to release the stress she’s feeling. She was trying really hard to not cry, she didn’t want to cry in front of him. He knew how much she loved her grandma and he also knew how much this holiday back to her home meant to her. He felt sympathy for her.

“Are you not sad Namjoon? Your flight is cancelled too” Sara asked trying to focus on other people instead of thinking of her own life. However, tears still rolled down her eyes anyway.

“I’m okay. There was no flight to begin with. I’m just here to be with you.” Namjoon replied.

Sara looked at him and was shocked to see him saying that with his serious face. He was usually playful but not now.  

“I just confessed to you informally but it’s still a confession anyway. I like you, I want to protect you, I want you safe, I want to make you happy.”

Silence…..They both stood there awkwardly both trying to avoid each other’s gaze.

 After some time, Namjoon continued talking “If you don’t answer me, I’m going to hug you. I’ll give you sixty seconds” Namjoon took out his phone and pressed the timer for 60 seconds.

“Sixty seconds isn’t fair Namjoon aah” Sara blurted although deep down she wanted a hug. ‘If you want to hug me, you should just hug me and don’t give me an option to pick. Don’t you know I’m shy to admit that I want to say yes and I also want you to hug me’ Sara thought to herself.

Namjoon smiled “Thirty seconds then”. Sara started to walk away from him quickly. Namjoon jogged to reach her and stood in front of her to stop her from walking “I was just joking” he put his arm in the air, “Don’t get mad”.

“What were you joking about? The confession or the time?” Sara asked with a serious face. “The time of course. I’ll let you think about it, no rush and no force. If you like me too, then we can start discussing our marriage date hahah” Namjoon replied. “But, if it’s a no, no pressure. I still hope we can be friends”.

Sara could feel that this was something he had already thought about thoroughly by seeing the way he is right now. “I’ll let you know after some time” Sara told him. Namjoon nodded at that. Namjoon was looking down at his shoes when Sara suddenly pulled him into a hug. “I was just messing with you, I like you too”. Sara could feel his heart beating loudly. Namjoon smiled and embraced her tighter.