Gentlewoman

Gentlewoman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi guys! Welcome to Gentlewoman!

Thank you for your unending support by subscribing, upvoting and commenting!

Enjoy your reading!

Given the recent events of BJH's issue, I finished this short one-shot to cheer all those luvies who had been for the past two days working on protecting our baby.  Thank you so much for staying with Red Velvet!

Here is a small dash of fluff, I hope it will make you smile :D

• • •

Before, men were always the ones to open the doors, the ones to offer their coat to you when you're cold, or simply the ones to offer carrying your stuff for you. It's the 21st century, and over the years, men had forgotten to and some women learned how to be the perfect gentlewomen.

How can Bae Joohyun prove this?

It's because of Kang Seulgi.

• • •

It was actually not much an eventful time in her life when Bae Joohyun met Kang Seulgi. Quiet frankly, it was a very boring and unlucky day for her.

Waking up because of her alarm's nth snooze - which is not something she wanted to open her eyes to - the petite teacher spewed out colorful words as she hurriedly got herself ready because girl, she's late.

Also, she loves kids. Except for the devil child Junho who decided that his hands sitcky with the mixture of glue and paint looks good on her newly bought blouse.

Her third misfortune happened as she walked to the bus stop but missed the last bus so she needed to walk a thirty-minute journey back home.

Then rain decided to show itself up and it poured heavily. Another problem? She has no umbrella because as far as she knew from today's weather report, there was only a ten percent chance of rain. 

Unlucky, she knows. 

So, without as much of a choice, she sprinted her way towards a convinience store before her already ruined (thank you Junho) blouse gets soaked. Upon arriving to the front door, she went to open it but her hand was only able to touch the cold metal of the handle when another hand shot out with the same intention.

Startled, she looked at the stranger owning the hand and was met with a stunning sight. A brown haired woman wearing a cap, a simple shirt with a hoodie and a pair of sweatpants stared back at her with the same reaction. 

Joohyun smiled sheepishly, "O-oh, I'm sorry, you can go first," she shyly said to the still unmoving woman as Joohyun took one step back for the other girl to enter. She bowed her head slightly to avoid eye contact and to also avoid showing the pretty woman her blushing face.

However, when the door opened, the feet clad in a pair of chuck taylor's did not even move a bit..

"Please, you can go first. Hurry though, or we're about to get soaked, miss."

Her head raised to look at the woman who was now holding the door open for her with a tiny smile, eyes crinkling. Joohyun nodded without a single argument, quickly shuffling in to enter as she went to sit on a nearby empty and lone table. She tried to dissipate the blush still on her cheeks so she raised her phone to busy herself. Lady luck seems to hate Joohyun as she scowled at her phone which flashed with an indication of its dying battery before the screen went completely black.

Great, just great. Now she has to sit idly and wait for the rain to stop. Sighing, she turned to the windows,watching the downpour with mild annoyance.

Suddenly a knock on the table made her turn and oh look, it's the cute girl who opened the door for her.

With a small and shy smile she spoke up, "Hi, is this seat taken?"

Joohyun shook her head.

"You don't mind if I take a seat here? You see, there are no other tables available." The girl gestured to the practically empty store that strangely only has one table.

"Sure." Joohyun nodded.

The girl nodded gratefully again before placing a cup of steaming hot instant noodles in front of her. Joohyun turned her attention away because her staring is getting too creepy but she can smell the aroma of the noodles and quiet frankly, she's getting hungry. The noodles seemed delicious and perfect for the cold night. The girl in front of her seemed to noticed as she took a brief pause from inhaling her noodles.

"You hungry?" She asked.

"I think I am," Joohyun replied as she stood up to purchase her own noodles but the other girl stood up too.

"And I think I need tteokbokki to go with the noodles," The pretty stranger stated as she followed Joohyun closely since the aisles for tteokbokki and noodles are on the same side.

Joohyun tried not to pay attention as she chose a cup and pulled it from the section.

"Hey, do you like tteokbokki?" The girl asked again.

Joohyun looked up at her with confusion, "Yes, why?"

The girl then smiled again, showing Joohyun the extra large cup of instant tteokbokki, "There are no stocks of smaller cups, would you like to share with me?"

Joohyun took a pause to ponder. A stranger albeit pretty, is offering to share her favorite food with her? 

"U-uh, sure." 

Minutes later, they were having a small conversation over the tteokbokki and ramyeon.

• • •

The rain stopped an hour later, and it was almost midnight. She prepared to leave but the stranger once again caught up to her before she could open the door as the girl pushed it open for her again.

Okay Joohyun, you're gay and she's pretty but you need to stop swooning.

"You're gonna walk home?" She asked.

"Yeah," Joohyun replied but noticed the other girl walking alongside her. 

She took an abrupt stop, "Wait a minute. Are you following me?"

The girl chuckled, "It's kinda dangerous for a pretty lady to walk by herself all alone at this hour." 

Joohyun blushed but fought to keep her stance, "You say that while you're still a stranger to me. Who knows, you might be a kidnapper or a burglar." 

The girl scratched her nape as she fumbled for her pockets, "Where are my manners?" She chuckled lightly and then pulled out a business card and handed it to Joohyun, "I'm sorry for not introducing myself earlier, my name is Kang Seulgi and I'm a choreographer." She introduced.

Joohyun eyed the card with interest, looking at Seulgi's full name and the details of her dance studio a few blocks away from the convinience store.

"And you are?"

"Joohyun. Bae Joohyun," Joohyun replied as she shook the outstretched hand which are soft to the touch.

"Well Miss Joohyun, Bae Joohyun, can I walk you home?" The girl tilted her head in an adorable way like a puppy, waiting for her answer.

"Don't you have a home to go to? It's getting late and pretty ladies should not walk all by themselves." Joohyun returned her words earlier, and this time, it was Seulgi's turn to blush.

Seulgi cleared , "Well uh, my home is this way too." 

Joohyun raised a brow but shrugged it off. 

Maybe I can trust her, who cares.  

"Well all right, let's go home." Joohyun stated.

Maybe today's not such a bad day.

She got to meet this very beautiful and chivalrous woman named Kang Seulgi who opened doors for her and walked her home, even offering to help her carry her school stuff. Seulgi even borrowed her hoodie to the teacher when she shivered from the cold. Joohyun took discreet sniffs on the citrus-y scent of the hoodie, blushing from the fact it is so big on her that she felt so safe and secured. The choreographer told her to just give it back when they meet again, which is not impossible, given that Seulgi said she lives nearby.

Seulgi did not leave her until Joohyun was safely inside her apartment.

• • •

Fast forward to a few weeks later, Joohyun walked home along with her now daily companion, Seulgi who once again assisted with carrying her papers she was supposed to take home and mark.

"Hey, would you like to come in and stay for a bit? You know, have tea and perhaps try this new recipe I came up with a few spare ribs. It's almost dinner time anyway." Joohyun offered but she knew herself it was an excuse to spend mmore time with the taller girl.

Seulgi looked unsure at first but shrugged after, "Are you sure? I don't want to intrude."

"No it's okay, I insist." Joohyun shook her head and then reached out for Seulgi's sleeve and then pulled her to the front door.

Joohyun noticed the way Seulgi's breath hitched when she pulled the girl by her forearm. It's not exactly new to her that after careful observation, she found out that Seulgi is actually very shy when it comes to skinship, even just the simple way of crossing their arms together puts the taller woman in a state of silent panic.

Seulgi then after Joohyun unlocked the door, twisted the knob despite her occupied hands and opened the door (not a surprise there) for her. Joohyun smiled gratefully to her before she asked the woman to wait on the couch while she prepares their dinner.

"It feels awkward to just sit around while you do all the work," Was Seulgi's polite reply before she followed Joohyun to the kitchen.

"But you're my guest!" Joohyun protested, but her lips clamped up when Seulgi looked at her with pleading puppy eyes.

"Fine," She grumbled.

"Great!" Seulgi replied before looking around the teacher's kitchen which looked absolutely squeaky clean, she had to make a mental note of keeping away from possible incidents of dirtying it up, "Where can I get the plates?"

Once all the table is set up, Joohyun noticed Seulgi pulling the chair for her. With a blush (she swears all the blood in her body is now residing in her cheeks), she sat on the pulled out chair. Only when she was seated did Seulgi pulled her own chair to settle herself.

After their warm meal, and Joohyun's ego by Seulgi's continuous praises for her cooking, she needed to practically force the younger woman from cleaning the dishes.

"What? You cook, I clean! That's simple!" Seulgi shook her head but nonetheless sat on the couch with a pout, as she waited for Joohyun to finish cleaning the dishes.

"You know, the next time we do this, you're gonna have to let me clean!"

Joohyun heard the declaration from the living room as she smiled to herself. So Seulgi sees a possible future for them to have dinner again?

"Sure!"

• • •

The choreographer never failed to impress the teacher day by day as they walked aisle to aisle, Seulgi pushing the cart as Joohyun carefully chose the items she will need to restock her home.

Today is her day off, and coincidentally, it was Seulgi's free time since the woman actually holds her own time, being one of the owners of the studio she works in, so Seulgi volunteered into helping her with her monthly grocery shopping. Joohyun giggled at the childish way Seulgi props her feet up on the rear end of the cart as she wheels herself through the smooth floors. One particular old lady had to reprimand her as the teacher now shook her head in mild amusement over the now profusely apologizing Seulgi to the still ranting granny.

"Yah, Seulgi-yah come over here will you?" She gestured with her hand as the girl obediently walked towards her.

"Which flavor do you prefer? Chocolate or strawberry?" She asked, raising the items.

"Me? But I thought you're going to bake a cake, then why must you ask for my preference?" Seulgi pointed to herself, confused.

"That's because I'm going to bake for you, dummy. It's the least I could do because you're helping me right now." Joohyun still held up the two options for the other girl.

"But I volunteered, you owe me nothing unnie!" Seulgi tried to convince her but Joohyun is firm with her decision.

Seulgi sighed in defeat, "Fine, I'd like it chocolate please." She said.

"Good choice," Joohyun smirked before placing Seulgi's choice in the cart, "I'm done, let's go pay up."

Seulgi insisted in carrying most of the paper bags that her upper half is covered by the paper bags while Joohyun effortlessly and annoyingly tightened her grip on the two small papers bags she has with a glare to the smiling girl as if Joohyun cannot see her hands trembling from the weight they are suffering from.

"Come on, Seulgi. At least let me take two or three of those." She sighed when Seulgi's grip tightened subtly and possessively on the paper bags it made Joohyun feel as if Seulgi is the one who bought them for herself, and then shook her head.

"I'll be fine unnie. My car's just nearby anyway, so let's go?" 

The older woman shook her head as she led the way, given that Seulgi's vision is ridiculously blocked.

Stubborn girl.

However, Joohyun's eyes narrowed in pondering, eyeing the doors. For the first time since they met, she will be the one the open doors for the two. Call her silly for keeping tabs on it but Seulgi really never let Joohyun open doors for them.

Aaaaand Joohyun thinks Seulgi is really chivalrous it's becoming borderline silly when the previously slow girl wheezed past her in a neckbreaking pace with the grocery bags on her arms as she struggled to reach out for the doors. Alas, she was too hasty and in a flash, she's on the floor, grocery bags and items strewn everywhere and a bruised Seulgi is on the floor, looking up at Joohyun helplessly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter