001

My Deer

“Sorry. But with TVXQ’s current success and all of the money we have invested in them, I just don’t think it’s the best time to be debuting a new boy group right now. Let’s wait one more year ok?” 

These were the words of the CEO Lee Sooman.

Smile. It had been postponed again. Former member, Kim Jihoon had already raged the night before about leaving after it was postponed again. 

It was disheartening for sure. Donghae had understood when he had been passed over for TVXQ. He had only been a trainee for a year and a half back then. But now.

Now he had been a trainee for 3 years, starting from when was 15. He was 18 now.

It was depressing. Trying to go to school, trying to get through long trainee classes. 

Sometimes Donghae wondered if he could continue.

The 18 year old found himself doing as he usually did. Wandering the streets near his dorm. Breathing in the fresh air, trying to organize his thoughts as he did.

He walked by a snack bar and the fragrant smell of Odeng caught his nostrils. 

The skewered fishcakes sounded heavenly after spending almost 3 straight hours practicing. 

He reached into his pocket and saw that he only had barely enough money. It was sad, but like many of the other trainees who were from outside. They barely were given money to survive. 

He decided that perhaps food wasn’t really that important.

Instead he continued on his stroll. Wondering if he should just return home. He originally wanted to do sports anyways, maybe it wasn’t too late. It was his father’s idea after all…

“Excuse me.” A young voice called out.

Donghae glanced around, no one. 

That was strange. 

“Excuse me.” The voice repeated from under him.

Donghae glanced down and laid his eyes on a cute little girl. She couldn’t have been older than 5 or 6.

“Excuse me can you help me?” She begged as she ran over and grabbed his leg.

“Ya!” Donghae who hadn’t been expecting such a quick movement almost shook her off. 

“Careful you scared the sh—” Thankfully Donghae caught himself. “—you scared me.”

That’s when he noticed the adorable gaze of the young girl. She had huge doe-like eyes and soft round cheeks. A cute little girl, that had an innocent aura around her. 

She was clearly distressed. Her entire body shaking. Her eyes practically begging for assistance.

“Sorry, what’s wrong little kid?” Donghae who never had siblings wasn’t sure how to act towards the young girl.

“I can’t find my family.” She revealed close to tears.

Seeing her sad like that. For some reason it broke his heart. 

But what was he supposed to do? 

For all he knew they could be anywhere. Seoul was a massive place. Even the street he was walking down ran all the way down to Ittaewon.

“Please. Please.” She pleaded.

“Where did you lose them?” Donghae inquired finally giving in. 

“Just let me call them with your phone.” She paused right after her demand.

“I mean, please can I use your phone?” The little girl requested in a more polite way.

Donghae couldn’t help but chuckle. For two reasons.

One because… why did she seem so cute?

For the first time he wished he had a younger sibling.

Second, well the irony of it. Out of everyone who could’ve bumped into her. He didn’t have a phone. 

Trainees weren’t allowed to have one.

“I don’t have a phone… sorry.” He apologized trying to hold back an awkward laugh.

The young girl frowned. She sat down in front of him, a defeated look on her face.

“Why are you laughing?” She snorted clearly taken aback by him.

“It’s just… out of everyone you could’ve asked, you asked me. Who doesn’t have a phone.” Donghae chuckled at the irony of the situation.

The girl nodded, before smiling understanding his point. Her smile revealed a massive overbite it made her look more and more like a deer or an elk. 

Donghae could tell she would undoubtedly be pretty when she grew up. That much was obvious.

“Instead let me help you look for them.” Donghae offered reaching out his hand to the girl still sitting on the ground.

She seemed to ponder it for a second. Her eyes gazing up towards him.

“Fine.” She replied reluctantly.

Donghae almost scoffed.

“I’m the one offering help, and you’re the one acting like that?” Donghae teased.

“Ya! oppa doesn’t have a phone, so oppa is useless.” The little girl stuck out her tongue.

Donghae had never felt so insulted. He suddenly couldn’t stop the feeling of the need to defend himself. 

Even after being teased by his fellow trainees nonstop, he could usually hold it in. But, this little girl had the audacity…

“Fine. Find your family yourself.” Donghae retorted as he turned the other direction. 

He wasn’t actually going to leave her. He just figured he’d walk a few steps and turn around. 

But before he could respond. A tiny hand grabbed onto his arm. In a matter of seconds, the little girl had leaped off the ground and latched her hand onto his arm.

“Please. Please don’t leave me alone.” There was a desperation in her voice.

“Please please please. I’m sorry.” The girl was in tears as she clung onto his arm.

Donghae glanced around. Thank god they were practically alone. Or he couldn’t even imagine he amount of dirty looks he’d be given.

He turned to assure her. But he froze. The pleading eyes she had. Tears streaming down her cheeks. 

Why? Why did his heart ache so much? 

Why did he feel desperate to protect her?

“Oppa’s sorry. Oppa’s sorry.” He had only said those words to his former girlfriend. Yet some random little girl had made him repeat them. 

“I promise I won’t leave you. I’ll help you find your family. I was just kidding.”

There was still fright painted onto the young girl’s face as she gazed fearfully at him. 

“I’m serious. I’m serious I’ll help you.” He tried to assured her.

“Promise?” She held out her pinky.

“Promise.” He wrapped his pinky around his and sealed the promise. 

Why had he done that? It was so unlike him.

“So where did you last see them?” He interrogated trying to find a clue as to where he might start looking. 

“There.” She pointed towards the food cart he had just passed by.

“You were there with them?” 

The little girl shook her head. 

“I’m hungry.” She pointed towards her stomach.

Donghae sighed. He reached into his pocket, knowing he barely had enough for one serving.

They walked along the street. A skewer in one of the little girls hands the other clutching onto his. He had finally come to the epiphany that he should bring her to the police station and let them contact her parents.

Her parents better repay me.

Donghae found himself oddly enjoying having her small hand in his. The 18 year old never experiencing having a younger sister. Was this why men always wanted to have a daughter?

They reached the police station, and the younger girl recounted her parents phone number oddly well considering how young she was. That’s when he had first heard her name. Jung Yein. A pretty name. 

She recounted how she had been visiting from Incheon when she had gotten separated from her parents.

Now the two of them were sitting on a bench waiting for her parents to pick her up.

“Why was oppa out alone?” The young Yein asked.

“Oppa had a lot on his mind.” Donghae answered, finding it odd how comfortable he was addressing himself in the third person.

“Why doesn’t oppa have a phone?” 

“I’m a trainee.” Donghae responded unsure if she’d even know what he meant.

“To be like an idol? Like the TVXQ oppas?” 

“Yes. Just like them.” Donghae chuckled thinking how spot on she was.

“Oppa’s kind of handsome now that I see it.” Yein commented as her cute eyes seemed to scan over him.

“Yes. You just noticed?” 

“Oppa, I guess if you ever become an idol I’ll cheer for you. I like dancing too.” Yein told him.

“Really? You like to dance?”

“I want to be a ballerina when I grow up.” Yein announced proudly.

Donghae scoffed. 

“What? Stop doing that oppa. It’s annoying.” 

Donghae grinned as he shook his head.

“Sorry, but you know Ballerina’s don’t make a lot of money. You should become an idol.” He advised her.

“Why?” 

Donghae kept forgetting that he was talking to a 6 year old girl. 

“Think about it. If you were a boy would you rather pay to see a ballerina or to pay to see FinKL?” 

The girl seemed to be pondering it. He wondered if she actually understood his point.

“FinKL.” She mumbled in an annoyed tone.

“See?” 

“I still want to be a ballerina though.” She huffed. 

There was an awkward silence as Donghae wasn’t even sure what to ask a six year old girl. 

Do you like dolls?

“What was troubling you?” Her voice was strangely healing. The innocent voice devoid of any of the world’s dark interference.

“I was thinking about quitting.” Donghae explained.

He wasn’t one to share his feelings. It felt odd talking about it.

“Why? Is it tiring?” 

How did she hit the nail on the head so perfectly? Could little girls read minds?

“How did you know?” He inquired curiously.

“My omma has the same expression when she comes home from work.” 

Donghae chuckled at her statement. “You’re an observant little one aren’t you?”

“I guess it is tiring. It was really my appa who encouraged me to become an idol, when I wanted to play sports.” Donghae simplified his answer as much as possible.

The 6 year old girl nodded. Pondering her response, as if she was a professional counselor or something.

“My appa told me that sometimes you have to do something hard and get better, to realize the hard work is actually fun.” Yein quoted her obviously wise father.

“Is that so? Did you not like ballet?” Donghae figured.

“Mhm. But now I do, because my appa told me to just keep getting better. Once I become a ballerina I’m going to repay my parents for letting me take classes.” 

“I guess I’ll do the same. With my father.” Donghae wasn’t really sure what else to say.

“Then you’re not going to give up?” Yein obviously thrilled by the idea that she was the one who had changed his mind.

Which wasn’t exactly wrong either.

“I guess not.” Donghae mumbled.

“Oh my god! Yein!” There was a loud voice as Donghae noticed two adults enter the station. A pretty women in her 30s entered clearly the young girl’s mother.

Yein grinned as she ran over to embrace her mother.

She then pointed back towards Donghae. “This is…”

She stared blankly at him. Donghae realized he had never told her his name.

“Lee Donghae. Nice to meet you.” He bowed towards her parents introducing himself.

“This oppa helped me when I was lost.” Yein explained.

“Thank you so much. We can’t even begin to express our thanks to you.” It was her mother this time bowing towards him.

“Thank you Donghae-si for helping our daughter.” Her father expressed his own gratitude.

“Ah, of course.” Donghae smiled towards a much happier Yein.

The little girl suddenly whispered into her mother’s ears.

“If it’s not too much trouble could we treat you to a meal? We’d really like to repay you.”

Donghae almost said yes. But he was already breaking his curfew.

“It’s ok I need to get back to my dorm.” He apologized. “I’m already going to get scolded.”

“Ahh.” Clearly her mother didn’t understand what he meant. But smiled and nodded.

“Anyways we will always be grateful to you.” The father once again repeated.

Then they left.

Donghae couldn’t seem to explain. But his heart felt an immediate emptiness. Like he had just missed out on an opportunity of a lifetime. He wanted to meet the girl again for some reason. 

He couldn’t explain it… but… 

He wished to have another conversation like that. Would he ever meet her again? 

Jung Yein? Who are you?

 

Yein was shaking as she followed her members into the studio. They had just come from the salon, getting their makeup and outfits done for the show. 

But Yein still felt scared. This was might be the only time she could meet him. It had been more than 14 years… would he even recognize her?

She wasn’t even this nervous when she went on Knowing Brothers.

Yet she felt chills thinking about seeing him. After all, he had been the one to change her dream. She had given up ballet and decided to join an entertainment agency. 

 


 

Why did she look so similar?

14 years had passed since that night. But her eyes. He couldn’t forget them. He thought he saw them in Dara, in Jihyun, but it wasn’t the same. 

Why did this young idol have them? 

An idol from Lovelyz. He had heard their songs and seen their music video… but never noticed her. God, he had even watched her appearances on Heechul’s show before. 

But she had never stuck out to him the way she did now. The moment his eyes drifted towards her picture as they discussed their usual battle plan in a joking way.

How had he been so stupid as to save her name somewhere?

What was her name again?

It was so blurry. 14 years had passed. How could he forget?

The crying girl. The girl who had comforted him.

She was from Incheon, she was visiting Seoul back then. That’s all he remembered. He wished the profiles they gave was a little more complete.

Jung Ye In. Was that right? Was that the name she had told the police officer?

He couldn’t remember her name no matter how he tried.

“Filming is beginning soon.” The PD called out. 

His makeup artist began finishing up with his skin. 

“Dude, what’s taking so long huh?” Leeteuk inquired with an annoyed tone. “You’ve never asked for someone to fix your makeup before.”

 


 

Yein stared nervously as Shindong began spinning. 

“12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17.” 

His voice. It brought her immediately towards the handsome man counting. Yein almost fawned just watching his cute face. 

But the inner competitor in her spoke. Before she could react. 

“18! 19!” She countered, pointing out that he clearly had sped up the counting. “You’re counting weirdly though?!” 

It was chaos. He shouldn’t have heard her, his mind probably focused on winning.

“24… 25…” He clearly had adjusted his counting. Playfully slowing his count.

Had he heard her? She was loud after all.

Did he think she was annoying?

“10 seconds remaining!” Leeteuk called out.

“I don’t think I’ll be able to stop.” Shindong joked as everyone began laughing.

Yein took the chance to refocus on the scene playing out. 

The fact that SHE had to spin next completely slipping from her thoughts.

“Stop!” Leeteuk yelled as Yesung reached forward studying the spinning Shindong.

“Shindong span 37 rounds.” Leeteuk announced.

That was a high number. Could she even reach that high? And with the seemingly unfair counting.

She wanted to win this. This was her talent after all… and in front of him

“But didn’t they count wrongly?” Yein countered. 

Heechul immediately walked towards her to acknowledge her statement.

“Wait a moment, what did you say again Yein?” 

“I think Donghae-sunbaenim counted wrongly.” Yein argued, pretty sure they’d likely just brush it off with a joke.

“He counted even though the turn wasn’t made.”

She began pointing towards him, her eyes sneaking glances at him as she did.

But before she knew it from the corner of her eyes she saw Yesung holding back Donghae.

He had a frustrated expression on his face.

Was it for her?

He was certainly moving towards her slowly. 

“You did though?” It was too late to back away from her argument now.

He walked closer to her maybe 1 meter away now.

She wasn’t expecting it. She stepped backwards expecting him to stop.

But he didn’t.

His footsteps drew closer to her. His soulless eyes targeting hers, an intimidating posture. 

Yet so handsome.

Yein stopped moving, instead deciding to try and laugh it off.

He didn’t stop still. He was less than a meter away. His head gazing down at her, she could now distinguish all of his face’s handsome features.

He was right in front of her, like he was a bully trying to punk her. 

But she welcomed it. 

She instinctively reached for his arm. Unsure of how else to react but try and laugh it off.

He made a cocky smirk and Yein died inside. How could any man be that handsome? His bad boy vibe too much for the 21 year old to handle.

“You did didn’t you?” She tried to prolong whatever skit he was trying to do.

She couldn’t hide the ginormous smile she had seeing him up close. She tucked her hair behind her ear instinctively. Wondering if he might find her even slightly attractive. 

“Hey Donghae.” Leeteuk interrupted their moment.

Finally he turned around just as Heechul and Leeteuk came to her rescue. Going along with his joke as they playfully held him back.  

Her members exploding with laugher beside her as they did. 

“Hey Donghae she’s a guest.” Heechul tried to reason with him as his back slumped in defeat.

Yein frowned as she watched him walk away. Part of her worried that she had actually annoyed him. 

“Donghae when you’re walking…” Leeteuk couldn’t finish his words.

“She said that I can’t even count!” Donghae turned around and yelled.

Yein grinned and continued laughing.

That’s when she realized it, he was giving her favor. Going so far as to immaturely throw a temper tantrum, just to give her attention. 

He shook His pointer finger towards her several times a  grin on his face. 

“Even though our Donghae can’t speak well he doesn’t lie.” Heechul .

Yein continued laughing, so flustered by the whole interaction.

Never in a million years imagining it to play out like this.

“Are you ok?” Yesung appeared out of nowhere and seemed genuinely worried.

“Yes.”

“Don’t care about him.” He joked.

Her members still laughing as they did. 

Donghae pointed her out suddenly, his eyes searching for her once again. Yein met them immediately.

“You better watch out.” He had a competitive smirk on his face as he said it.

“Please count the same for me.” She teased back.

For a second he grinned at her response but, it was quickly interrupted by Leeteuk again.

“What do you mean by watch out?” Leeteuk warned him.

Donghae quickly changed his expression to a playful smile. As he gestured that he was kidding.

“Yein how are you going to do your turns?” Leeteuk inquired.

Yein felt a new energy as she prepared her answer. She wasn’t going to lose, hoping to continue to catch his attention, even if he didn’t remember her.

 

 


 

Yein and her members sat at the large table. The meat being set in front of them. 

“Seriously, we really had a great time filming with you all.” Yesung announced as he, Donghae, and Shindong sat at the table along with them. 

“So, the Hanwoo (Korean beef) is on us tonight!” He announced.

Despite losing to Super Junior in the competition and losing out on the packaged meat. Three members had approached them afterwards and asked to treat them to a meal.

To her delight he was one of them. 

Did he remember? 

Of course he didn’t.

It was strange. Seeing him, he was the same. Just as handsome as he had been back then.

She had figured she’d just continue as usual. Her normal competitive self, but then an opportunity had presented itself to her. She on his counting and…

Well he had done the rest. He had approached her to the point she felt her fangirl heart at the point of explosion. His eyes gazing into hers. His handsome face becoming so close that she thought she might faint.

For a second she wondered if he was scanning her face. But, afterwards, something snapped inside of her. She felt comfortable teasing him. She felt like she could be herself, despite never meeting since.

“Thank you for the food!” Lovelyz announced in unison.

“No we should thank you. This is the first time ‘0-Hae’ has ever been entertaining on the show. We have Yein-si to thank for that!” Shindong joked. 

Yein grinned. 

“Thank you.” She mumbled quietly.

“That’s our competitive Maknae for you! People say I’m the loudest in our group but its actually Yein-ah.” Mijoo spouted out.

Yein nudged her unnie immediately. She had read that Donghae only liked quiet dignified girls.

“Ya…” Yein was blushing now as she bit her lip.

She glanced towards Donghae. But immediately regretted it. 

He was staring at her. His dashing grin and intense eyes gazing at her. They locked eyes for a few seconds. 

She quickly turned away. 

 


 

“Thank you for the meal Donghae Sunbae-nim!” Kei, Jisoo and Baby Soul bowed towards him. 

“Of course, of course.” Donghae repeated as they exited out of the restaurant and towards the van that Sujeong and Jin had already gotten in.

He was waiting by the door after paying for the check, his eyes still narrowed on her.

She was still… still talking with Yesung.

He could see the wide smile that she often flashed, the familiar eye smile… 

Things had changed of course from then. Her cute cheeks replaced by defined cheek bones and a sharp jaw. Her pearly white teeth though perfectly aligned, still carried a similar charm as they had before. She looked like a deer. A pretty one.

He needed to know. He had to know tonight. When else could he?

But… Yesung.

Mijoo and Jiae had gotten out of their seats after talking with Shindong and tapped on her shoulder beckoning fro her to join them. 

Yein nodded as she seemed to finally be finishing up her mostly one sided conversation with Yesung.

It was odd. Yesung, despite being the more awkward member of Super Junior, could be the most charming and extroverted under one condition.

He liked the girl.

That was what scared Donghae. 

“Thank you for the meal.” Mijoo and Jiae bowed towards him.

“Of course.” Donghae smiled and waived towards them.

Then she started walking towards him. She was wearing the same smile she had the entire dinner.

It was really cute.

She seemed calm as she approached him.

He was anything but calm.

“Thank you—”

It was now or never.

“Excuse me.” He interrupted her.

“Huh?” She almost jumped at his words.

“I mean… yes?”

“Um.” Donghae hated that he was so unsure of what to say. 

How could he even bring it up?

“By any chance… do you know me?” 

What a stupid question. That wasn’t what he wanted to ask.

“Of course.” She had a bright grin as she nodded. “I’m a big —”

“No.” He quickly shook his head, interrupting her again. He knew he was running out of time.

There was already a confused expression on Yesung’s face as he stared at them.

“I mean. Don’t you know me?”

Yein gazed at him. For a second. For a second he thought she remembered. He knew she was young then… but if he remembered, couldn’t she?

I mean everything fit.

Her age, she was exactly 12 years younger

Her background, she was from Incheon

Her name, well it sounded familiar

Her eyes… they were the same. Replicas of the young girl’s.

“Hey, let’s go Yein-ah.” Her manager called out beckoning for her to come.

She grinned sheepishly, then… then she nodded slowly.

What did that mean? Yes?

However, she quickly turned and ran towards her manager. They entered the van and in a flash.

She was gone.

Had he lost his chance?

What did the nod mean?

Donghae had so many questions.

“Ya, what were you two talking about? Huh?” Yesung inquired from behind him.

Donghae jumped at the surprise appearance. Before calming himself and chuckling.

“She just thanked me for giving her a moment to shine.” Donghae lied.

“Ahh, that’s right. After the dinner I almost forgot we all filmed a show together.” Yesung replied. “She’s cute isn’t she?”

Donghae nodded.

“Another round of drinks? I heard Heechul might join us.” Shindong popped up behind them startling both.

“Call!” Yesung agreed.

“Fine.” Donghae didn’t exactly have anything better to do.

 

 


 

“You really have all of their numbers?” A drunken Yesung repeated his question as the three sat at an upscale bar in Ittaewon.

Even the social butterfly Shindong seemed quite surprise by this statement.

“Of course I have the numbers of every girl group member.” Heechul boasted proudly holding up his phone.

The problem was. He never shared. Without a reason.

Which in this case might’ve been an advantage. Donghae secretly hoped that Heechul wouldn’t share her number with his fellow member.

“You actually like that girl? Yein?” Shindong inquired. “The one who Donghae was flirting with on the show?”

“Flirting my foot.” Donghae quickly scowled. “I just wanted screen time.”

He lied.

He shouldn’t have. But what else could he do?

“She’s funny, she’s got a nice body, and her eyes. They’re really pretty.” Yesung gushed.

Donghae bit his lip at the mention of her eyes. Why was he surprised?

Of course others would be drawn to them… but why his hyung of all people?

“I would need something in return though.” Heechul quickly shut down the hopes of Yesung.

“Hyung. Please.” Yesung put his hands together in a begging position. 

Heechul as usual had a confident and audacious smile. He sipped on the liquor in his cup.

“Let’s see. What do I want?” His voice clearly taunting Yesung.

Donghae found it difficult to watch. Part of him wondering whether he should join in. But his pride holding him back. He had always been the one on the giving end of his relationships.

He was tired of it.

“On the days I have filming, go pick up Zorr from his trainer and take him for a walk. Let’s say for a week.” 

Donghae knew that Zorr was the name of his dog. It was certainly not something that was easy. With a busy schedule no one wanted to go through the hassle of walking someone else’s dog.

“You have filming basically everyday!” Yesung argued. 

There was no way he’d do it.

“Should we make it two weeks?” Heechul grinned.

“Fine. Fine. I’ll do it.” Yesung gave in.

Donghae’s heart almost dropped. Did Yesung like this girl that much?

“Are you stupid?” Shindong mocked him. “For a girl in Lovelyz? Did you see Eunhyuk’s visit to their dorm? They haven’t been successful for four years why would you be interested in one of them?” 

Donghae realized he knew nothing about them. Lovelyz. He knew that they weren’t exactly big. But he couldn’t sing a single song of theirs.

“Ya, I don’t need a reason. I just think she’s attractive to me.” Yesung defended himself.

Donghae slammed his glass on the table. Everyone jumped as they all glanced back towards him.

“Hey, listen to Shindong Hyung. That’s stupid to have to walk a ing dog for some no name idol. Have some pride.” He wasn’t sure what he was saying. 

He hated that he was talking rudely about the girl who caught his eye.

Hoping and praying that he might be able to talk his hyung out of it.

“Are you ok?” Heechul questioned clearly shocked by Donghae’s sudden outburst.

“Whatever tease me however you like. You have a deal Heechul.” Yesung reached out his hand to shake it.

Heechul began to burst out laughing. His usual borderline psychotic laugh echoing around the room. 

“I feel bad doing this. I thought there’s no way you’d agree to it! He really must be desperate, I guess I have to now.” Heechul cracked up as he took his hand and shook it. “You know she’s like 20 right?” 

Yesung beamed with joy as he checked his phone.

“What? He texted you?” Mijoo and Jiae were both hovering over her, fighting to see the contents of her messages.

It was surprising to her as well. Yesung Sunbae had texted her. 

Thanking her for coming on the show, and praising her for her ‘spinning’. 

Yein wasn’t even sure how he got her number. Though with Super Junior’s connections it certainly wasn’t unimaginable.

“He probably got it from Heechul sunbae.” Mijoo figured. 

“Who cares if he asked for your number it means he’s interested in you!” Jiae voiced loudly.

“Do you like him?” Jisoo asked from the other side of the practice room.

“No way, you should’ve seen how big her eyes were when she talked with Donghae sunbae.” Kei of all people pointed out.

“There were practically hearts in her eyes.” Jiae .

“No!” She quickly retorted flustered by the mention of his name. “I’m not…”

“She totally has a crush on Donghae sunbae!” Mijoo announced loudly. 

“So what? They’re all handsome and successful.” Soul gave her opinion walking towards her.

“So are you going to reply?” Jiae inquired.

Yein wasn’t sure. Should she?

She had appreciated how he had been kind to her during the show. Also enjoying her conversation with him during dinner.

“I mean of course im going to respond.” Yein tried to remain calm. Though her hands were shaking as she said it.

Would it be too much to ask him for his number. She still regretted her response to his question. 

She had thought about it for so long. Wishing she’d done more than just nod. She had been so flustered back then just by his handsome presence she’d completely lost any semblance of her wit.

But what now? She should at least answer the popular sunbae. 

It would be an honor just to be friends…

 

 

“I’m going to ask her out.” Yesung announced out of nowhere.

“Huh?” Heechul piped out.

The six of them had gathered at Leeteuk’s apartment after filming with Gidle for that week’s episode.

“Who?” Siwon asked unaware of what was going on.

Donghae knew exactly who he was talking about.

“That idol? From Lovelyz?” Shindong seemed just as surprised as the rest of them.

“We’ve been talking for a little. I told her I’d buy her a meal and she accepted.” Yesung replied. 

“Really?” Siwon still seemed to be grasping over the idea. 

“Didn’t you say she spoke very formally to you though?” Heechul argued. 

Donghae breathed out slowly realizing that there was a chance that perhaps she hadn’t reciprocated his same feeling.

“I want to at least give it a shot. I started watching about her. She’s really cute and close to my ideal type.” Yesung replied happily.

Donghae however, was anything but happy. Why did it hurt so much?

Perhaps it was the fact, that just like Yesung. He had started searching her. Watching her performances, watching their reality show. Watching everything he could about her.

He fell more and more for her. Grinning stupidly as he stared at the phone in front of him.

“Well if you like her, you should ask her out.” Leeteuk commented.

“Thanks hyung. At least someone is cheering for me.”

“Ya, I think I speak for all of us, when I say we’re just teasing. Of course we’re glad for you.” Siwon spoke softly, but his words always carried weight.

“Not Me!” Heechul raised his objection loudly. However, his expression quickly changed. “I’m kidding, sorry sorry sorry sorry. naega naega naega meonjeo.” 

He danced playfully to their hit song as laughter filled the room. 

Except for Donghae.

“Let’s drink then!” Shindong spouted out. “You have soju right?” 

“Of course.” Leeteuk disappeared before reappearing with several bottles of Soju dropping them with a thud on the coffee table they all gathered around.

 


 

Donghae stumbled into the door as soon as it opened. He wasn’t sure if it was even his apartment.

“Ya! Why did you drink so much? Huh?” 

Yesung, despite being the frailest and skinniest of Super Junior had basically piggy backed Donghae all the way to his apartment.

“Ya! Get a hold of yourself.”

Donghae toppled immediately onto the ground. Unable to decipher where he was in his drunken state. 

“Hyung.” Donghae whispered his heart aching.

He didn’t know why… but it hurt so much. Not even the drinks could dissipate the intense stuffy feeling he felt in his heart.

He felt a tear fall down his face.

“Hyung.” 

“What?” Yesung crouched beside him, a genuine expression of worry on his face.

“Please don’t… please don’t…” He begged him. 

“What?” Yesung clearly didn’t understand. And how could he? Donghae had kept it all to himself.

“Please. I’m dying because I like her…”

“Huh?” 

Donghae lost consciousness after that. Unsure of what he said, unsure of what he did.

“Just go won’t you?” Leeteuk begged him. 

“Why?” Donghae couldn’t. 

He would hate himself if he did.

He was upset. He was upset at himself mostly. He couldn’t face Yesung, knowing that today he was going to ask her out. He was going to be accepted too. 

Despite his awkward television character, Yesung was smooth, gentle, and caring. He could easily sway any girl’s heart. She would undoubtedly accept.

“Just go and deliver him his wallet. His forgot it here when we drank three nights ago and he still hasn’t picked it up. He told me he needed it for his date.” Leeteuk complained. 

“Ya! Why would I? Huh?” 

Donghae had planned on staying in his apartment the whole day, then Leeteuk had begged him to come and help him with a favor. Donghae had no idea back then it would involve the very thing he wanted to avoid.

“Come on, you’re good at third wheeling just go and bring it to him. Feel free to too.” Leeteuk reasoned. “I have filming soon.”

He didn’t know. None of them knew. How Donghae felt.

“I don’t want to.” Donghae threw his arms up frustrated.

“Come on. Do it for your hyung.” Leeteuk wouldn’t give up.

“I don’t want to!” 

“I’ll let you take my Maserati. Just give me your car keys.” Leeteuk offered. 

Donghae bit his lip. It was a chance to see her. Even if it was under the worst circumstances. 

He had been wanting to try Leeteuk’s new car for some time now. The sleek white Maserati, that costed more than 200 million won. It was hard to resist that chance. 

“Fine.” 

Leeteuk tossed him his keys and Donghae did the same. 

As Donghae left, he saw that Yesung had already been contacted by Leeteuk. Because, he texted him the address of the cafe they would meet at.

Donghae breathed out as he sat in the beautiful car. There might never be another chance for him to see her. He would just have to swallow his feelings. 

Maybe, they could be friends, if things worked out between Yesung and her. 

He arrived at the cafe and prepared himself. Making sure he looked presentable, he was seeing her again for the first time since that night. 

Was it weird? When he thought about it, she probably bare knew him. Yet he knew everything about her now. 

He exited the expensive car and walked towards the cafe. It was quite out of the way, a  cafe that wouldn’t be too crowded, allowing privacy for celebrity couples. This was something Heechul had taught all of them.

Of course Yesung always remembered the small things. Donghae could only commend his hyung for picking a beautiful cafe as his date spot.

He walked towards the cafe, there were only a few people there. But, in the corner of his eye he spotted her. 

She was wearing a baseball cap. But that only gave her away as a celebrity. Her long brown hair and pretty eyes couldn’t be hidden by a mere cap. She was tapping her fingers on the table, clearly still waiting for him to show up. 

Where was that jerk? 

Donghae breathed out slowly as he looked for Yesung. 

Where was he? It wasn’t like him to be late, especially when he liked a girl.

Donghae quickly called him. He picked up instantly.

“Hey where are you? Huh? I have you stupid wallet.”

Donghae readied to hear a series of excuses. But… he didn’t.

Instead he heard a chuckle. 

“Have fun.”

“What?” Donghae thought he heard wrong. 

“Have fun. Ok?”

“I don’t understand everything. But you like her don’t you?”

Donghae froze. How did he know?

“I… I, I…” Donghae was speechless.

“Just take care of her. You owe me and Leeteuk hyung ok?”

Donghae understood now. He had been set up. 

“Why?” He felt a tear slip down his cheek. 

How could he ever repay such a thing? He felt so grateful...

 


 

Yein tapped nervously as she prepared herself. Today. Today she would have to be the bad person.

She could tell from his messages that Yesung sunbae had interest in her. After offering her a meal, she decided that she had to be frank towards him. 

She knew that the moment she did. It was over. She would never have a chance with the person she liked if she rejected his friend. But what could she do?

But she didn’t feel the same towards him. Today, today she would turn him down, she wanted to do the right thing.

She glanced at her watch. He was 15 minutes late. Was he this type of person?

She had never gone on a date before. But being fashionably late to a first date, just felt rude. 

Yein for a second pondered leaving. She pondered texting him that she wasn’t interested and would just leave.

“Excuse me.” 

It wasn’t Yesung sunbae’s voice.

“Excuse me?” 

It was his. Lee Donghae. It was the same as the teenager who had helped her all those years ago.

She glanced up. He was standing in front of her. An awkward smile on his face, dressed in casual clothes, but nevertheless handsome as hell.

“Donghae Sunbae-nim.” Yein gasped.

“I’m sorry… but I’ll be your date for today.”

“Huh?” Yein didn’t understand. 

Why? 

I mean… not that she didn’t want it.

But how?

“Long time no see.”