Chap 4

The New Romantics
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You almost gave me a heart attack there!" Seulgi hisses at Solar as she pulls her closer during their break. The group had watched the choreo for Irene and Seulgi and broke out in small groups for practice.

 

"Wae? What do you think of me, punk?" Solar hisses back. "I can read the room you know. Obviously, it's just me, Joohyun, Wendy and Moonbyul who knows what's really going on. Why didn't you tell your members anyway? What's there to hide?"

 

"Well, what for?" Seulgi scoffs. "It's not like, there's a lot to talk about us. Bringing it up to the members will just make them... pity me, I guess?" 

 

Silence.

 

"I'm sorry I wasn't there... you know." Solar tucks a stray hair behind Seulgi's ear. "When it happened. And I didn't agree with your decisions. And how everything played out." 

 

Seulgi smile sadly. "But well, here I am right? I'm an idol now. I'm finally worth something."

 

"You were always worth something Seulgi. You just made a stupid mistake of making other people tell you otherwise. And destroyed the love that you two once had."

 

Seulgi's eyes started to brim with tears. "What can I do now...."

 

 

They stayed for a while together in silence. 

 

 

Solar suddenly whacks Seulgi's head. "Blegh. This is too cheesy for comfort." Solar pretends to gag. "Come on, let's get back in the group. Compose yourself. We have to practice that choreo. I've intentionally made it harder for you two."

 

"Damn I was just about to cry. Wait... what did you say? What for!?"

 

"To make my donsaeng suffer that's what" Solar laughed. "Lighten up, Seul.You're still holding yourself up, even if she's here and that's that." Seulgi smiled and just shook her head, grinning back towards the group. 

 

 

----

 

 

"This isnt working out guys." Solar sighs, exhausted. It's almost 8 in the evening. Joohyun and Seulgi were practicing the choreo Solar made. After wrapping up the group practices, the members from Finesse and Liarz went back to the trio to see how the practice was going for the two leaders.

 

"Technically it's good, we don't have problems. But something's really missing. What do you think? Yeri?"

 

Yeri darts her eyes back and forth to Joohyun and Seulgi and back to Solar. "It looks lame... I mean, the choreo's good but there's no connection."

 

Solar nods. "Joy?"

 

"I...have to agree with Yeri. It's just like, there's two very good robots dancing. There's lack of expression. Sorry." Joy makes a peace sign towards the duo. "Joohyun unnie, you should make more eye contact with Seulgi unnie" 

 

 

Solar hums in thought. She turns to Joohyun. "Well, what can you say about that Joohyun?" 

 

 

Silence.

 

 

Seulgi seems hesitant but nevertheless asked. "Irene-ssi, Do you feel awkward because of... Bogum-ssi?"

 

 

Silence.

 

 

"If you want, I can talk to him and assure him--"

 

 

"We broke up." Joohyun said with a small voice.

 

Seulgi was stunned. She looks at Solar initially then back to Joohyun "Oh, really?"

 

"Yeah. A couple of months ago." Joohyun states, not still looking at Seulgi in the eye. 

 

"I'm sorry."  Seulgi offered. "I understand if it feels awkward, well you know, lingering feelings for him and all of that--- "

 

"No, no, I don't have any of that. I mean, with him." Joohyun finally stared at Seulgi in the eye. Seulgi quickly darts her eyes away from the girl.

 

 

 

"We really don't like Bogum-oppa...." Jennie starts. The rest of the Finesse girls nervously laughed.

 

"He's a prick." Joy adds.

 

"He's too full of himself." Jisoo seconded. More laughter ensued. "He doesn't treat Joohyun unnie right. Seriously, unnie deserves better."

 

"All right, all right." Solar gestures for the group to stop laughing. "So we all share the same hatred towards Bogum apparently." 

 

 

"....Even you, Solar-sunbaenim?" Jisoo asked innocently.

 

Solar looks at Seulgi and Joohyun and smiled meaningfully. They both evaded Solar's prying eyes. "Yeah. Especially me."

 

 

Silence.

 

 

"I'm sorry Solar-sunbaenim. Let's do it from the top." Joohyun apologetically states.

 

"Wait." Solar gestures with her hand. "I have an idea. Do you still remember the dance that you and Seulgi practiced before? The Be Natural dance cover?"

 

"Of course." Joohyun starts but quickly added. "I mean, I remember it because it was really hard."

 

Seulgi turns her gaze up to the ceiling and sighs, "Unnie, we really don't have to do this."

 

"How about you guys perform it again. For tomorrow. Let's wrap up today. Let's just give that dance a try, see if it's still there." Solar prods on.

 

"The what is still there?"

 

"The thing we're looking for." 

 

"The....spark?" Jisoo volunteers.

 

Solar beamed. "Thank you Jisoo." That's the word I was exactly looking for."

 

 

----

 

 

"Joohyun-unnie hates Jeju." Jennie states, as she was cutting the pork for sharing to the members. The Finesse and Liarz members, minus Joohyun and Seulgi went out for a samgyupsal dinner after the practice. Both leaders begged for time off and went back to their dorms to rest.  

 

"What do you mean?" Lisa asked, munching while is full. Jisoo poked Lisa's cheeks earning her a poke back.

 

"We went there like, a year after debut. We held a fansign there. When we were wrapping up, a fan went up to Unnie but she brushed her off. I saw the fan leaving hurriedly like, stiffling a sob? And when I looked at Unnie again she was trying to compose herself as well. She was silent the whole time when we were heading back to the hotel. I was her roommate and I heard her crying herself to sleep that night. In the morning she had a conversation with Moonbyul-unnie. Then she got all serious again and said she's never going back to Jeju."

 

The members exchanged looks. 

 

"I didn't know about that." Joy said, passing the cabbage to Yeri. 

 

"We never reall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter