FIN

Whatever, she doesn't care
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She looks straight ahead, her eyes empty and tired. With her hands in her pockets and headphones on top of her skull, she listens to music whose melody matches her shady mood, isolated by this wall of sounds from her surroundings. If ever an alert is given by the city on any danger of the moment, she can't hear it, but whatever, she doesn't care. It is not as if she is attached to her life, if her destiny ends now, why not.

It's a day that ends with nothing in particular except the deafening noise of cars driving past her, with employees exhausted from their jobs, desperately trying to get home as quickly as possible, only to find themselves in a new whirlwind of tasks to do, with screams reaching their poor already busy heads. An ordinary life as an employee, exploited to the end, until retirement, only to become a wreck too damaged to enjoy its so-called deserved rest. That's how life goes, they tell us, those powerful people from above who despise us. But whatever, we don't care.

The horizon looms as far as the eye can see in front of her, the sea crashes on the edge of the beach a few meters from the sidewalk where she is, the sun sets little by little coloring the few clouds with a warm touch of pink, and the sea breeze comes to bring a new breath of fresh air that alleviates the city's ambient pollution. One last cruise ship quickly returns to the port before night falls and prevents it from being seen by onlookers in the street, imposing and majestic, as if to throw its arrogance and wealth in the face of the world.

She then cowered a little more on her bench, sighing, also exhausted from her work, from those hours that seemed to stop moving every time she looked at the clock. After interminable meetings that left her no choice but to repeat the work she had done just before, simply because she has superiors who are far too inclined to show their domination, not wanting to try to understand the difficulties of their subordinates, only wanting to humiliate them. Whatever, she doesn't care. All that matters is that she gets paid and has enough money to pay her bills, right? Find another job? What's the point, it'll be the same thing, the little ones will always be crushed by the powerful ones. And then, who would take on a new employee when the crisis is there, disastrous, sneaking right next to thatched cottages of the houses, ready to starve men and women? A ruthless world, both advancing and decomposing with the sweat of billions of humans trying as best as they can to survive.

On the beach in front of her, she sees children running around, held back by their parents so as not to get into the water, slaves of this carefree flock. A few couples are walking hand in hand, avoiding a ball that passes over them, enjoying the last moments of sunshine, totally in their little bubble of ephemeral happiness, that just waiting to be burst and shed tears of sadness. A group of friends set up towels on the edge and allow themselves a small impromptu picnic, with a pack of beers and appetizers, ready to get drunk until the end of the night to forget their problems of the day. All this little world is getting restless, but whatever, she doesn't care. As long as they leave her alone and don't bother her, they can go to hell.

She closes her eyes by tilting her head upwards, taking deep breaths before sighing, then opens them again as she sees up there in the sky the tracks of the planes that have passed, imagining that they are fully loaded with passengers trying to escape their destiny, trying to find refuge elsewhere. Like her, who would have liked to go far from here. But to go where in the end? To go and do what? To be alone again? Whatever, she doesn't care. If she knew, she would have taken the opportunity a long time ago. She wouldn't be slumped so limply on a park bench with no energy left to do anything.

That's when a notification on her phone brings her out of her lethargy. Grumbling a little because she doesn't want to make any more effort, she nevertheless takes her device out of her pocket, s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter