Nightmare

Nightmare

de-FATE café offered the best brewed coffee Det. Ji Hyeong Joo liked to enjoy in his spare time while reading new released chapter of Hidden Killer – a digital comic created by his favorite webtoon artist. It was 8:20 pm when he visited the place that evening with a thick book on hand. He looked around the surrounding before taking the seat on the corner near the window. She’s not here yet, he concluded. He put his book which title was the same as his favorite webtoon on the table then made his order. While waiting for his coffee, he recalled the phone call he made that morning with the one he waited for that moment.

It was January 23rd 2019, a date that made him feel anxious. He knew what was going to happen at 8:55 pm wasn’t a good thing. He knew because he had lived the same year twice and was going on his third: people in the field called it reset. In the first life of the year he lost a brother-like figure and a great friend next. Thus he went for another reset to successfully stop the former turning into a monster by killing more people than he already had and to protect the latter – someone whom he admired and cherished, someone who changed his fate, someone who was behind Hidden Killer, Shin Ga Hyeon. In order to protect her he would do anything.

Shin Ga Hyeon would get into an accident that day and Hyeong Joo thought hard on how to prevent it without making himself look insane. It should look natural. At last he decided to take her time – if she was with him she wouldn’t get into an accident. He then dialed her number.

“Hello,” the other line answered after several beeps.

“Ga Hyeon-ssi, This is Det. Ji.” It was a bit awkward as he was the only one remembered their friendship and she was still the charismatic webtoon artist.

“Oh, yes. What is it about, Det?”

“Ehm, Could we meet later? I need your autograph by today if you don’t mind.” He felt stupid as soon as the words escaped his mouth. He cursed himself mentally for coming out with such idea.

“Huh?”

And that made him want to smash his head. She must think I’m weird, he thought. Yet, he couldn’t go back on his word and continued, “I mean I’ve been waiting for more than two years. Aren’t you going to make me your assistant? Let’s seal the deal with your autograph, shall we?”

“Right,” he heard her chuckle before asking, “Should we meet at lunch break?”

“No, I have some cases to investigate. How about at 8:30 pm? Are you free?”

“I think I can make some time. Where will we meet?”

“I hope de-FATE café is good enough for you?”

“It’s in my neighborhood. Good then.”

“Okay I’ll see you there.”

“Okay.”

Hyeong Joo sipped his coffee while checking front door. There were still no sign of Ga Hyeon. He was getting nervous as the minutes passed by. He couldn’t just sit still. He tried to call her only to go on voicemail. He tried again and again and began to panic. He rushed for her house which wasn’t that far while still trying to call her.

It was 8:0 pm when his call was answered.

“Det. Ji,” she sounded in a hurry.

“Ga Hyeon-ssi, are you okay? Where are you?”

“Yes, I am. I’m sorry I overslept and forgot to lock the door.”

“It’s okay.”

“I’m on the way to search my dog that runs away. Could we meet some other time?”

“No problem. Just stay where you are. I’m almost there. We can search Maru together, Ne?” he suggested.

“Ah, yes,” she agreed though sounded unsure.

He sprinted and reached her house in no time. However, Ga Hyeon wasn’t there. Could sshe be… No no no, It can’t be. He ran through the park, down the lane and arrived at a big street. His heart skipped a beat at the flying body of Ga Hyeon and thumped very hard, as the body landed with a loud thud on the asphalt.

“NO!” he screamed.

--

 

Hyeong Joo woke up with sweat covering his forehead. He could hear his heard drumming in his ears. He shut his eyes and took a deep breath. He opened his eyes to the clock striking 8 o’clock in the evening. He fell asleep in the office. It was a mere dream, a bad one.

Still, he was worried sick. It wasn’t time to think about her opinion on him. Her safety was his priority.

He started his car engine and drove away.

--

 

She was surprised, he could tell, once she opened the door.

“I thought we were going to meet at 8:30?” she was confused. She eyed him, “are you okay?”

He looked at where her eyes landed and realized that he wore a pair of slippers.

“Would you like to come in?” she opened the door wider and made a way for him to enter.

They passed the living room and went straight to her work space in which a small table and a pair of chairs existed. She made him sit there and offered a cup of coffee.

“I’m sorry for intruding. I’m kinda lost.”

“No worries. We’re going to work together so let’s warm up to each other.”

“To tell you the truth I dreamed of losing a friend. Now I’m glad that she’s doing fine.”

“Your girlfriend?”

“No, we’re not in that kind of relationship. She had sacrificed herself to save me so I feel the need to make sure her safety.”

“Then, she likes you,” she smiled.

“Huh? Nope,” he waved both hands, “We’re just partner in life and death.”

“So, she’s a police officer,” it was more of a statement than a question.

“She’s just special.”

“I see,” she replied with a mischievous smile. “Are you good now?”

“I guess so.”

“Anyway do you need my autograph now?”

“Wait! What? Gosh! I forgot the book,” he panicked.

“I thought you were here for that.”

He sighed in defeat.

“Ah, right. Now that you’re here, Det. Ji, let me hear your opinion!” she walked to her computer. “Come here!”

He watched as she clicked through the folders on the desktop. She looked firm as she looked for the right file. She was the artist that he admired. He didn’t care whether she remembered or not, they still could make new memories of their friendship. As long as she wasn’t hurt, he was happy.

“Look!” her voice interrupted his thought and he was almost got caught staring.

“Yes,” he turned to the computer screen and was stunned. “What.. is.. it?” he pointed at the sketch of a familiar bouquet of flowers with a small note saying It’s you, this time.

“A warning.”