Wish I Were...

Wish I Were...

Standing backstage, Chanyeol started strumming his guitar, tuning the chords perfect.


Chanyeol felt quite nervous, even though he has performed a lot of gigs. Everytime he performs, feels like his very first time.

He looked out to see the Music bar completely full.

The sudden tap on his shoulder, made him jolt. Turning around he felt a finger poke his cheek.

"Caught you~!" He saw his Best friend standing with a wide grin on his face.

"Yah Baekhyun! What's this so childish?" Chanyeol yelled playfully hitting the brown haired boy.

"Eyy~ You liked it didn't you? See! You seem a lot calmer now." Baekhyun said proudly. Chanyeol let out small chuckle.

I do feel better. But not the way you think...


"I thought you were busy...Don't you have your date? You said won't be coming~" Chanyeol asked smirking.

Chanyeol could see the blush creep up on the said boy.

"Yeah...but I couldn't miss your performance!!" Chanyeol could feel his cheeks flush too.

He came for me...?

But...

why does it hurt?

"Really? Then I should put up a good performance." Chanyeol smiled giving a wink. Baekhyun showed two thumbs up, wishing him all the best.

"Oh when is you performance?" Baekhyun asked glancing his watch.

"The last one...There are still 2 more before me." Chanyeol said looking at the stage.

Baekhyun looked excited, which made Chanyeol a little more confident.

The sudden phone call caught Baekhyun's attention.

"Oh? Taeyeon is calling! She's here I guess! I'll be at the audience... Rock the stage!!" Baekhyun cheered as rushed out. Chanyeol gazed at his disappearing figure, a sad smile placed on his lips.

Ahh...That's why it hurts...

Idiot....

"Yeol Hyung! Are you ready??" Chanyeol turned to see, Sehun Jumping excited.

"Yeah..." Chanyeol said softly looking down.

"Hyung...Are you ok?" Sehun asked worried, seeing the sullen expression on his face.

"Aniya~ I am fine." Chanyeol said trying to smile wide. But Sehun could just see through him.

"Baekhyun Hyung came here didn't he?" Sehun asked a bit annoyed. Chanyeol kept silent and Sehun knew his answer.

"Aishh! Why is he so dense?? Hes making it worse..." Sehun grumbled.

"Sehun.."

"No Hyung! You need to get over him! You can't just stay like this!! Can't you see you're only hurting yourself." Sehun said broken. Everytime Sehun sees Chanyeol with Baekhyun, He can see how much Chanyeol like the latter.

Sehun is the only one who knew Chanyeol likes Baekhyun. So it's too hard to see Chanyeol getting hurt because of Baekhyun. And Baekhyun who is just too oblivious to those.

"Sehun-ah...I am alright. Don't worry about me." Chanyeol said smiling placing a hand on the younger's shoulder.

Sighing in defeat Sehun nodded. He returned the smile and wished him all the best.

"And now for our tonight's last but the not least performance!! LOEY!!" Chanyeol could hear the cheers from the crowd.

Taking a deep breath, Chanyeol stepped out on the stage.

He looked back to see Sehun smiling wide with a fighting gesture. Chanyeol was a lot grateful to him, He was always there when Chanyeol was down.

He sat on the chair that was placed at the center of the stage. He adjusted the mic to his height and greeted the audience.

Everyone grew silent as he started strumming the guitar, Immersed in the melody.

Chanyeol looked up, searching for a pair of eyes. Eyes landing on the brown haired boy, Chanyeol could feel his heart flutter.

But soon his heart sank, When he saw Baekhyun's Girlfriend sitting right next to him.

Baekhyun waved his left hand as his other hand was intertwined  with Taeyeon's.

Chanyeol started singing...His voice filled with emotions.

🎶I still remember third of December
Me in your sweater,
you said it looked better on me, Then it did you🎶

Chanyeol clearly remembers the first day he met Baekhyun. When a 7 year old boy offered his Jacket to the boy who was shivering while playing in playground.

 

"You should never forget to wear your sweater when its cold!! Or else you'll get a fever!! And then you'll have to eat medicine..." The 7 year old Baekhyun lectured worried and grumbled at the thought of eating medicine.

 

Chanyeol who was quite just gave a quick nod.

 

"Hehe..Good. And this looks good on you. It was too big for me...but it fits you!" Baekhyun said smiling holding Chanyeol's hand. Warming them up.

 

Chanyeol could feel his cheeks burn up

 

  🎶only if you knew
How much I liked you, 🎶

 

Chanyeol was sure of his feelings when they were in high school. And eventually came out as Gay to his family and friends. Baekhyun was very happy for him being honest and  was ready to accept whoever he was.

 

But Chanyeol was too afraid to confess his feelings to him...

 

Afraid to lose his friendship...

 

Afraid to lose him...

 

🎶but I watch your eyes

As she walks by
What a sight for sore eyes
Brighter than the blue sky
She's got you mesmerized 🎶

 

During their sophomore, Taeyeon transferred to their school. And Baekhyun felt as if he saw an angel...

 

Chanyeol could clearly see the way Baekhyun looked at her whenever she walked by...

 

In a way Baekhyun will never see him.

 

It was hurtful to hear him speak about her for hours, but then, and now, the only thing that matters the most to Chanyeol is..

 

Baekhyun's Smile..

 

🎶 While I die 🎶

 

Sehun could feel the pain in Chanyeol's voice. The audience were quite too, completely drowning in his voice.

 

🎶Why would you ever kiss me?
I'm not even half as pretty
You gave her your sweater
It's just polyester
But you like her better
Wish I were Heather 🎶

 

When Baekhyun wanted to confess to her right after graduation, Chanyeol could feel his chance slipping by, but couldn't bring himself to tell.

 

Sehun found out when Chanyeol blabbered everything when he was completely drunk...

 

Drowning himself in alcohol and just Wishing he could be someone...

 

Someone Baekhyun could see not just as a friend.

 

🎶Watch as she stands with her holding your hand

Put your arm 'round her shoulder, now I'm getting colder 🎶

Sehun looked at the taller who was singing. It broke his heart to see him breaking. Everyone might think that he is a soulful singer...but only he knew the story behind those words....

 

🎶But how could I hate her? She's such an angel
But then again, kinda wish she were dead🎶

 

Chanyeol sang smiling as he  looked up at Baekhyun. Baekhyun felt a sudden pang in his heart. An emotion running through him, but he couldn't understand it.

 

🎶As she walks by
What a sight for sore eyes
Brighter than a blue sky
She's got you mesmerizes

 

While I die 🎶

 

Hearing those words, Baekhyun felt tears rolling down his cheeks.

 

W-Why am I crying??

 

🎶Why would you ever kiss me?
I'm not even half as pretty
You gave her your sweater
It's just polyester
But you like her better
I wish I were Heather 🎶

 

Chanyeol sang as he recalled all the memories he had with Baekhyun. Every day, Every minute, Every second....

 

🎶Wish I were Heather
(Oh, oh)
Wish I were Heather 🎶

 

Pausing Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun, who was crying without even realizing. Chanyeol could feel his own tears rolling down his cheeks. Both of their eyes locked. Still with a small smile on his lips...he sang...

 

🎶Why would you ever kiss me...?
I'm not...even half as....pretty
You gave her your sweater...
It's just polyester...
But you like her better
Wish I were 🎶


With the final strum from his guitar, Chanyeol stood up, and thanked the audience. Thunderous claps erupted from the crowd.

Chanyeol's eyes searched for Baekhyun among the crowd and finally caught him.

Baekhyun was crying. When their eyes met, he quickly looked away from Chanyeol and rushed out.

Taeyeon was a bit flustered, She glanced at Chanyeol and rushed towards Baekhyun.

Without him knowing Chanyeol went after Baekhyun. He gave his guiter to Sehun and quickly ran out.

"Wait-!! Chanyeol!" Sehun called out but Chanyeol ran out of sight. Sighing Sehun looked down at the guitar.

Kre'...This might...be for the best.

Let it all out hyung...Maybe now you can finally get over him.

"BAEKHYUN!!" Chanyeol looked around for the brown haired boy.

"Baekhyun-ah? Are you alright?" Hearing the boy's name he snapped his head towards the voice.

He saw Taeyeon holding Baekhyun's hand worried. Baekhyun had stopped crying but looked...

"Baekhyun?" Chanyeol called softly but loud enough for Baekhyun to hear.  Baekhyun looked up surprised, eyes carrying many emotions.

Chanyeol looked at his eyes expecting to see... Disgusted, Betrayed, Hatred...

But Chanyeol saw something else...

Apologetic?....Guilt?

"Chanyeol..." Baekhyun said giving a small smile.

Taeyeon let go of his hand and smiled at Chanyeol.

"I'll get going Baekhyun-ah...I'll see you tomorrow." Taeyeon said smiling, Wanting to give some space for the two.

"It's already late let me-" Taeyeon cut of Baekhyun.

"Ani ani... Tiffany was also here. I'll go with her. Don't worry." Taeyeon assured. "I'll see you tomorrow." Taeyeon said once again hugging Baekhyun. Baekhyun gave quick nod smiling.

Taeyeon turn towards Chanyeol, giving a sweet smile, she nodded and walked towards the Music bar.

Now Baekhyun and Chanyeol were left alone. Silence consuming them. Both started walking towards the nearby park.

Both sat on the bench, Neither of them not knowing how to start.

Finally Chanyeol broke the silence, which felt for eternity.

"Are you sure Taeyeon's okay? To send her alone?" Chanyeol asked worried. Chanyeol sensed...that Taeyeon knew too, and was really grateful for letting them speak.

"She did say Tiffany was there...I guess she'll be alright. And I wanted to speak to you too..." Beakhyun said finally looking at the taller.

Once again there was a silence among them.

"I-...About today- I want to say-"

"I knew about it..." Baekhyun said interrupting Chanyeol.

"Huh? What?"

"Your... Feelings...for me..." Chanyeol widened his eyes hearing it. Too many questions running around his head.

"H-How? I-I mean Since When?"

"Last month...I overheard you and Sehun speak...at Jongdae's party."

Chanyeol was shocked. He really didn't expect this.

"Why didn't you say anything to me?" Chanyeol asked curious.

"I didn't know...how to react to that. And I was afraid...I might loose you." Baekhyun said taking a deep breath.

"You...You are a really important to me. And a very important part in my life. I couldn't even think of loosing my Best friend..."

Best friend...

"But that was selfish of me...I didn't even consider your feelings...and to know how much I hurt you..." Baekhyun choked. His guilt overwhelming.

"Baekhyun..."

"I am such a horrible person...I hurt you so much, without even realizing..." Baekhyun  trembled.

"It's not your fault. I liked you. I wanted to like you. You did nothing wrong. So please don't be apologetic...that's...the last thing I want." Chanyeol said looking at Baekhyun.

"I...knew I never had a chance. But still...I couldn't stop liking you. You happiness made me happy. I felt that I was too greedy...if I wanted more." Chanyeol confessed.

"I...like you Baekhyun...More than as a friend..." Chanyeol finally confessed looking the older at the eye. Baekhyun eyes were blurred.

"I-I am sorry..."

It was just 3 words. But it enough to break Chanyeol into pieces. Chanyeol let out a hurtful laugh.

"Whoa...I expected it...but still it is hurts..." Chanyeol said smiling, tears rolling down his cheeks.

Baekhyun didn't know what else to say. It hurts him to see his Best friend hurt like this.

Baekhyun wanted to hug Chanyeol and comfort him, but it was not his place to that. Not when he is the main reason for it.

But now for some reason, Chanyeol felt a little free. As if he had finally let down the weight on his shoulder.

Chanyeol leaned back and looked at the sky.

"You...will find someone who'll love you with all their heart. Someone who's lot better than me." Baekhyun said sincerely.

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun and chuckled nodding.

Chanyeol let out a deep breath. "Now I feel a bit relived. Maybe I should have confessed sooner." Chanyeol said laughing. Baekhyun chuckled too.

"You should go...it's getting late." Chanyeol said looking up again.

"What about you?" Baekhyun asked worried.

"Well...I did get rejected. Haha... I'll leave after a while. I want to be alone for now..." Chanyeol said smiling which didn't reach his eyes.

Understanding Baekhyun nodded. And bid goodbye.

Chanyeol stared at stars...mind completely blank. He felt the time fly too slow

A sudden face popped above him.

"Are you gonna sleep in this cold?" He saw Sehun frowning. Chanyeol quickly sat up straight and turned back to see the younger standing with his guitar bag.

"Sehun...How did you find me?" Chanyeol asked surprised.

"Did move to some other country what?? Just around the corner. I assumed you would be somewhere here. And...I saw Baekhyun coming this way." Sehun said scratching his head.

Sehun sat beside Chanyeol and threw a soda can towards him. Chuckling Chanyeol drank a sip. After a moment of silence Sehun spoke.

"So...What happened?" Sehun asked carefully.

"I...got rejected." Chanyeol said smiling looking far.

"And... you are Smiling?" Sehun asked confused.

"Ofcourse...It hurts...to have your 16 year crush reject you...but I am somewhat relieved." Chanyeol said taking another sip.

"Relieved huh?" Sehun muttered staring at his soda.

Groaning Chanyeol leaned onto Sehun's shoulder, making the younger freeze. Soon relaxing he looked at the older whose eyes were closed.

"You'll find someone who'll truly loves you hyung..." Sehun said quitely. Chanyeol giggled..."He said the same..."

"Well it's the truth! They maybe closer than you think..." Sehun retorted back.

"You think so..." Chanyeol said softly, eyes quite drowsy.

"Yeah..." Sehun replied smiling.

After not hearing any response he turned to see Chanyeol in deep sleep.

"Chanyeol?" Sehun called slowly to check if he's awake. He took the can from the taller without waking him up and placed it beside him.

Sehun looked up sighing. "Baekhyun Hyung is not the only one whose dense..."



AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey guys~! So I am back with an another story~!! 

And I really love this song...I have been hearing it on loop, Which resulted me with this story \(^o^)/

If anyone wondering what song it is...

It is  HEATHER BY CONAN GRAY

And it's the first time I am writing an angst...So did I pull any of your heart strings?乁(☯‿☯✿)ㄏ

Hope you guys like it~~!