[1] leading lady.

mind tour.

"Good evening, everyone. Thank you… Thank you for this award," Yujin said as the clapping died down. "I-I did not expect to win this as there are many directors that are far off better than me but… Thank you."

 

She smiled as she looked at their table. "To my crew, to the actors, to the producers, especially our head producer, thank you so much for trusting me and my work. This award isn't just for me, but also for you. Starting today, I promise to work even harder to be able to create more films worthy of your support. I hope we'll all enjoy this evening. Thank you."

 

And another round of applause. Her closest friends from the movie industry greeted and congratulated her as she went back to her seat.

 

"Congrats, Ms. Ahn, you're really one of the best," Yena, one of the producers, said, tapping her back as a way of saying her praises. 

 

"No, I'm not that great yet," Yujin humbly answered, chuckling. "I was just lucky that my idea was chosen. After All, I wouldn't be able to do this without your help."

 

"No, Director Ahn, this is all on you," Hyewon, one of the female leads of her romance movie, agreed with Choi. "I believe that your story got chosen by the company because it's really good. You captured people's attention and made them interested in the plot. And it's not an easy job, considering that the leads are both women."

 

"It must be really hard for you, but you overcame everything and look at you now… A 23-year-old rookie director who achieved 4 award wins with just a single movie." Eunbi, the other female lead, added. 

 

She then crossed her arms. "You shared to us the first taping day that you made this story back in college, right? I guess the college Ahn Yujin didn't know what's about to happen almost 4 years after."

 

"Yeah… Definitely not." Yujin answered, smiling widely at the thought of her past self.

 

The ceremony continued but the director's mind is still on something else.

 

They're right. She has… Come a long way. I mean, who would've thought that the Ahn Yujin who's about to drop from school and just forget about her dreams is now one of the most successful directors of the present generation? Unbelievable at first, right? 

 

But it came true, and there's one main reason for that.

 

Yujin had thanked so many people that helped her make her mark, but if she can only thank one person, she knows exactly who it should be.


 

It's her.


 

It was a rainy day that time, and Yujin was sitting in front of the dean's office, waiting for her Mom who's inside. Wearing a white shirt and a plaid black flannel with faded jeans and a dusty cap, she looked down, not bothering to notice the people passing by. The door creaked open and she snapped her head towards its direction and quickly stood up.

 

"What happened, Mom? Did they expelled me-"

 

"I asked them for another chance." The old lady weakly stated. 

 

Yujin remained standing, disappointed… again. 

 

"What?! Mom, I already told you, I don't want to go to school anymore. We'll just waste money-"

 

"This is your Dad's last wish, Yujin. He wants you to finish your studies. And I will do everything, even beg the school council just to fulfill that wish." Her mother responded. 

 

"This is the third time I've been called this year… You're failing your subjects on purpose, Yujin. I know that. But please, your dean said that this is your last chance… Please, Yujin… At least do this for me."

 

"But Mom-"

 

"You're going to graduate for me, right?"



 

"… Fine." Yujin answered, clenching her jaw. "I need to go now, Mom. See you."

 

And she mindlessly walked to the canteen, passing by her mother like she's just a thin air.

 

The drink made a sound as it dropped from the vending machine, the only source of Yujin's "food" in school for months now. If it wasn't for her mom cooking every night, she wouldn't eat at all. Yes, her mother has already scolded her multiple times now about buying food from the school's cafeteria but she would rather fill her stomach with sodas rather than waste her coins on dishes that doesn't taste good either.

 

She sat by the empty solo seat on the side of the large area. If not only for her mother, she's already out of this town. She hates this place, this whole city. But her mother is so persuasive about her Dad's last wish. And that's her problem, deciding whether to obey her mom's order or to just push her to give up on her. If there is one thing that's for sure, Yujin needs time by herself. She needs silence.

 

Unfortunately, she won't have it that day.

 

Yujin noticed an averagely tall figure going in her direction but she just shook it off. Until that person literally stood in front of her. 

 

"Hi!" The gal cheerfully greeted, though her enthusiasm wasn't met by the other girl. "Ahn Yujin, right?"

 

The aspiring filmmaker acted as if she hadn't heard anything and continued drinking her soda.

 

"I'm Kim Minju, Performing Arts student, acting major. I'm glad to meet you-"

 

"I'm not." Yujin coldly replied, before looking at Minju's face. "What do you want?"

 

"O-Oh, uh," Minju stammered. "Well, I participated in a special contest. It's actually like an entrance exam to a scholarship at a school outside the city. The goal is to shoot a music video with, of course, showing my potential as an actress. I already asked for help from other students in the film production class but it's either they're helping in their respective clubs or doing other projects."

 

Minju continued. "They recommended you because they said that you don't have a club. I promise! If you agree to help me, I'll make it quick for you! I'll do things in one take! I'm also in charge of your food-"

 

"I'm not interested." Yujin shortly replied after a long explanation. She stood up and dusted off her clothes. "Sorry, Miss whoever you are, I need to go."

 

"W-Wait!" Minju followed her outside. "Where are you going? We can adjust the conditions if you-"

 

"Thanks, but no," Yujin said without even looking back, throwing the can of soda to the side, the can landing beside the bin. 

 

To be honest, she doesn't know where to go but at least she has to get rid of her tail.

 

"Miss Ahn Yujin, I badly need your help please," Minju begged, still not giving up. 

 

"Just go and find someone else."

 

"Ahn Yujin, please-"

 

"I said leave me alone!" The taller raged, facing the other girl so now she's towering over her. "How many times do I have to tell you?! I am not interested! I don't have time for this bullsh*t so go and annoy someone else instead!"

 

Yujin ended her speech and went back to observing the other girl's expression. It changed from a bubbly look to an ashamed one. 

 

"I… I'm sorry, Miss. I-I just thought that maybe… Nevermind. S-Still thank you for listening. Have a nice day." Minju quickly replied before dashing back to the cafeteria, looking down.

 

After the encounter, Yujin stayed at the school's garden to ease the tension on her body. But the more she thinks about what she had done, the more she felt guilty. She's still a human after all. She might have already given up on her dreams, but the fact that she's in charge of ruining someone's dream is bugging her conscience.

 

In the end, she has decided. She took a stroll around the school in search of the girl she just met. When she arrived in the library, she immediately spotted her. It's a no-brainer, honestly, for even if Yujin won't admit, the girl is, if not the prettiest, one of the prettiest creature she has seen her whole life. 

 

"Stop using your cellphone, the librarian is checking." Yujin advised as she leaned on the wall to be able to get a better view of the actress wannabe. 

 

"H-Huh?" Minju immediately hid her phone out of instinct. 

 

She saw the owner of the voice and surprise was evident on her innocent face. 

 

"M-Miss Ahn? W-Why are you here?" 

 

"Hmm? Why? Am I not allowed to be in the library?"

 

"N-No, no, I mean… Nothing." Minju cut off the conversation as she just continued using her phone.

 

"What are you doing? Is there a strong reason why you can't stop from using your cellphone?"

 

"Huh? Uh… I'm just messaging some of my friends from other schools… I was hoping to find a director for the project."



 

"Stop looking, then."

 

"S-Sorry, what?"

 

"Will this project give me extra credit?"

 

"Well… Yeah… I think so- Wait- Are you saying-"

 

"I'm not available on weekends. Like what you said earlier, I expect additional points after this… And the sodas on you. Better stand with your words and do everything quickly or else I'll back out. I have many demands so it's up to you. I don't have anything to lose, anyway."

 

"Wait, wait, wait… YOU'RE SAYING YES?!" Minju rose from her seat.

 

"Shh!" The librarian from the other table hushed them and gave them a small warning. 

 

"Sorry," Minju whispered before looking back at Yujin. "I promise, Miss Ahn! I'm not lying! Thank you, thank you!"

 

She was about to hug Yujin out of happiness but then stopped as awkwardness filled the space between them. 

 

"Don't call me, Miss Ahn, it's too formal. Just call me Yujin."

 

"Okay, Yuj." 

 

The director was taken aback. "Excuse me? I said, call me Yujin-"

 

"I need to go now. I'm standing by my words so I ask you to do so, too. I'm hoping to have a peaceful working environment with you. Let's meet here tomorrow, first break."

 

Minju happily hopped her way towards the door but was careful not to be called out by the librarian again. Yujin's eyes just followed her.

 

"See you, Yuj. Bye!" She waved before going out of the library. 

 

"Why did I agree to this?" Yujin's suddenly regretting her choices. But after a while, she felt a slight pinch in her heart. 

 

She doesn't know why… Maybe because she just found herself in the middle of a new trouble, or maybe it's because for the first time, someone gave her a nickname. 

**
"Min, let's rest for a while," Yujin said, carefully placing her cameras back in their bags.

 

They've been meeting here and there for two months, and Yujin must say, it's not that hard to be close to the other student. She's not normal, in a good way, of course. She's very clumsy, which also makes her the funniest. They decided to mark the start of their friendship by calling each other their respective nicknames.

 

"Yahhh," Minju whined, grabbing the can of soda from Yujin's hand after she sat beside her. "Didn't I tell you? Eat actual food. You're going to be sick if you continue this."

 

 

"Then better." 

 

Min just looked at the other gal who's staring at the blue, endless sky. 

 

They are at an empty road at the end of the city, filming their last scene for the music video. 

 

The actress adjusted herself from the bumper of Yujin's car they're sitting on.

 

"I… I know I don't have the right to ask you this but I'm going to try anyways," Minju delicately unfolded her agenda. "I see that you really love doing this, directing and stuff… But why do you want to drop from school? Why do you skip classes, and not look after yourself? I want to help you, Yujin… If there is anything I can help you with, I'll try my best."

 

No answer. Minju guessed that it's still too early to ask or it can be a very personal topic.

 

"I-I'm sorry, I just really want to help you. I should've been more sensitive." Min apologized. "If you don't want to answer then I will understand-"

 

"It's my father's last wish…" Yujin spoke. "… For me to graduate college."

 

"It… It is? T-Then why fight against it-"

 

"I'm not fighting against it… Everyone is."

 

Minju was left puzzled. She couldn't understand.

 

"Sorry, Yuj, but I can't get a hold of it-"

 

"D'you know that my father was a public servant?" Yujin faced the other gal with her faint smile. "He was a lawyer… The most honest one I've ever seen. He protects those who cannot defend themselves, and turns down a client whom he knows isn't right. He has a strong sense of equality and believes that everyone deserves justice, no matter what your status in life is."

 

"Then one day, he went to meet his colleagues, a usual lunch meeting… But he never came back alive. Last year, they were ambushed by several men, who we think were sent by one of the influential people they declined."

 

"Did you ask for help with other attorneys?"

 

"Asked? We begged them." Yujin answered, wiping the tears that silently fell. "But they didn't listen, more like they covered their ears. They don't want to open the case as it'll just bring more 'casualty' to their law firm."

 

"My father left a last will as he knew the risks of his job. In that will, there's a letter that says his last wish."

 

"I feel like a burden, Min. Dad died, and my Mom should have been resting now, trying to cope with his sudden death but then… She has to work. She has to work double time for me. Just so that she can fulfill that promise."

 

Yujin laughed. "I figured if I can drop out of school and just work somewhere, I can help my mother in paying the bills and such. That instead of wasting my money on food, saving it up would be a better choice."

 

The director met eyes with her actress. "Tell me, Min… Am I wrong? What should I do because… I'm already tired."

 

"Yujin…" Minju whispered. It breaks her heart to see her new friend in this vulnerable state. 

 

Before, all she could see was the cold, almost-like-a-robot Yujin. But now? She can finally see through her. She can finally see the real her. 

 

"Yuj…" Minju called as she held the crying girl's hands. "I admire you for being brave and for letting me help you and for sharing your story. To be honest, I won't say that you're wrong. Your feelings are valid and this must be your coping mechanism about what's happening around you."

 

"But Yujin… More than the money and financial problems, think about what your mom feels right now. Like you said, she's already having a hard time. If something bad happens to you, what do you think your mom will feel? She must be feeling so stressed right now, thinking that you're not   doing good in school because she's not doing enough."

 

"Yujin… Talk to her please. I can help you. Just please, don't keep everything to yourself. And stop crying," Minju consoled, with the last line coming out as a kind of joke since the taller one is almost sobbing beside her. 

 

Out of thankfulness, Yujin could only do one thing, and that is to hug her. Minju was  startled, of course, but soon drew circles on Yujin's back to soothe and comfort her.

 

"Thank you, Min… Thank you…" The gal mumbled between her sobs.

 

"That's nothing, Yuj. What's important is that you should always remember that you have me. Alright?" 

 

And Yujin cried harder in Minju's arms. That day is a very special day for the director, for she finally found someone who can listen and understand her without being scared. But it seems like Yujin misunderstood.

 

 

Minju told her to always remember that she's there for her, but she didn't tell her that she will always be.

 

 

"Minju!" Yujin called as she saw the girl waiting at the swing of their town's park. 

 

"Yujin-ah!" The other girl excitedly made her way to the aspiring director.

 

"You seem really happy, huh?" Yujin greeted her with a warm smile. 

 

"Is it that obvious?" Minju scratched her head, shy at how transparent she is. "Let's sit first, shall we?"

 

The taller agreed and they went to sit on the rusty swing that is covered by the large oak tree from the burning heat of the summer sun.

 

"Been a while, how's vacation?" Minju asked.

 

"It's good… Great, actually. The business mom started is really doing well. Of course, with the help of yours truly." Yujin replied, bowing after her remark.

 

Min rolled her eyes at the gesture. "You're really annoying at times, you know?"

 

The Ahn just shrugged it off and smiled, her dimples visible on her rosy cheek.

 

"How 'bout you?"

 

"Oh, me? Vacation's amazing, honestly. We're able to rest and bond with my parents… You know how busy they are." Minju answered. "But that's not why I decided to meet you today. I have good news."

 

"Really? Me, too, actually." Yujin shifted from her seat. "So, who first?"

 

"You go first, Yuj. I'm the one who called you, I must be the main event." Minju confidently said, followed by a snicker from  her best friend.

 

"Tch, fine, fine," Yujin mocked, laughing after. She then cleared . "Well, I am glad to announce… That I'll stay for next year! I won't be expelled anymore!"

 

"Oh my gosh, really?! Yujin, I'm so happy for you!"

 

"Yeah… I'm happy for me, too. I've done so many stupid things this year and I'm really on the brink but… I guess you're my guardian angel. You catched me just right before I fell. You were right, Minju. My mother did feel more assured the moment I started to take my studies seriously again. I hope Dad feels the same too."

 

"I know he is. I know he's proud of you right now." Minju said, reaching for Yujin's shoulder and tapping her.

 

"Okay, okay, we stop the drama right here. No crying, not in a playground." Yujin chuckled. "Well, how 'bout you? What's the good news."

 

"Oh, right," Minju moved so that she can face Yujin better. "Remember the music video we made? I submitted it to that scholarship I was talking about… And I passed! Yujin, I passed!" 

 

Minju jumped around in joy as she is still not over the fact that she was accepted by the program. But she halted when she saw Yujin's expression. She's… Uneasy? Tensed? Nervous? Minju doesn't know how to describe it but what she's certain of is that she looked really uncomfortable.

 

"Why are you just sitting there, Yuj?! This is our win! You're going to get higher points  as a headstart for next year, and I can finally go to my dream school! Isn't that wonderful?! I still can't believe it-"

 

"You're leaving?" 

 

"What?" Min was caught off guard by the sudden question. "Um, yeah, I'm… Leaving. I have told you before that my dream's school's in the capital, haven't I? 

 

Silence was the only thing that answered Minju back. 

 

"Why, Yujin… Aren't you happy for me?" She asked, still keeping a faint smile but deep inside is worrying about her pal's reaction.

 

"M-Me? I-I'm happy for you, Minju, trust me. Somehow, I also feel proud because that's also my work. It's just that… Do you really have to go?"

 

"What do you mean, Yuj? That's the main point about the scholarship, that's the reason why I joined."

 

"I know, I know… I'm just… I'm sorry. I just thought you would like us to still be schoolmates next year."

 

Yujin smiled but then looked down on the green grass underneath her feet. 

 

You should have known, Yujin. She's a great actress, of course, she'll pass.

 

"Yujin…" Minju slowly approached her and sat on the swing again. She then took the other gal's hand to capture her attention. 

 

"Yujin, I would love to be your schoolmate, too. Join you in lunch, walk with you home, those small things. But I have to follow my dreams, too. And this is such a once in a lifetime opportunity. It'll be a bummer wasting the chance. Please don't be mad at me, Yujin…"

 

"I… I'm not mad, just…" Yujin sighed. 

 

Why is it so hard for me to explain what I feel? What feeling is this that I can't elaborate, that I can't understand?

 

"W-When are you leaving?" The film student asked, hoping that they can somehow meet again for their farewell.

 

"I don't really know. Mom's already told me to start packing. We leave as soon as they have confirmed my enrollment."

 

"What? T-Then when are we going to see each other again? You going home next summer?"

 

"Maybe, maybe not," She responded, vaguely. "It'll depend on my schedule and if I'm going to have extra activities. But I'll try to if I can."

 

"You're not sure about anything at all? Yet you're going to risk it all?" Yujin somehow felt a little mad about how Minju acted. 

 

She already experienced going into something without a back up and she just won't want that for her friend.

 

"I know, it's crazy and a huge move but it's now or never, Yujin." Min reasoned out. "Who knows? Maybe this will be my stepping stone! Yujin-ah… Can't you just support me?"

 

"Yah, Kim Minju," Yujin stood up and faced her pal. "What are you even asking me? Of course, I will support you, no matter what happens. Never doubt that. I just hate that… This might be the last time we'll meet."

 

"Yujinie…" The scholar reached out to cup Yujin's face. "This won't be the last time, okay?"

 

"How are you so sure of that?"

 

"Think about it, Yuj. We're on the same road, films. If we both succeed, it's certain we'll get to work again."

 

"But that'll be hard… I mean, there are aspiring directors that are way, way better than me."

 

"What are you saying, Yuj?! You made me pass a big scholarship, you're greater than great! Let's see, um…"

 

Minju stood up and walked around til the bulb lit up. 

 

"Right! Maybe you just need a goal!"

 

"… Goal?"

 

"Yeah! Your purpose. Wait, I'll join you, too." Minju stood in front of her. "I promise to be a phenomenal actress, someone everyone knows. You? You will be hired as a director for a big project! And for your first film, I will be your lead star."

 

"Are you sure? I don't want you to wait."

 

"Come on! Trust yourself at least once, Yujin… Nothing's impossible, alright?" Minju advised. "So… You in?"

 

The taller chuckled before standing up, towering over the other. "Sure, I'm in. I promise that not only will I direct the film, it will be my own story. I will write my own plot and you have to play it."

 

"Sure, I promise." Minju reached for Yujin's hand and made her pink promise with her.

 

"Minju-yah…" 

 

Yujin pulled her into a tight hug. Right there, her only wish was for time to stop. Because she knew that the moment the clock ticked again, she'll just find herself feeling that heavy pain in her chest seeing the girl she loves slip away. 

** 

For the next four years after that meeting, Yujin did nothing but to master her craft. Sure, she still helps her mom with their business, but most of the time, the waiters of their now mini restaurant already do it for her. 

 

Her room? Dimmed and kinda messy. Her table full of crumpled papers, bunch of folders and a cup of unfinished coffee. On the side was her camera collection, along with the awards she won at College Film Festivals.

 

Because of those achivements, after graduating, she immediately got a job as a director for commercials and ads of a star agency. Her pay is enough, and her workmates are amazing individuals, but she's won't say that she's happy.

 

Not until she finished it.

 

The story of two girls who met outside of town. One who ran away, lost, and one who's just exploring around. They will go on an adventure together to seek for one answer: what does it mean to be young and free? 

 

Right from its characters, viewers may already look at it as something very unusual. An unconventional story, they may say, but Yujin doesn’t care. Because for her, it isn’t just a simple idea that she suddenly felt the need to write about. She has spent all her extra time in this masterpiece. Wanna know why? Because she believes that this story is her key to seeing the light of success… 

 

… She believes that it's the key to meeting her again.

 

And it is, because just weeks after she passed the final plot, the head producer who just stumbled on her file at one of the beginner producer’s tables, personally called her to ask for permission to make it into a film. To quote him, "It's very raw, full of emotions that words has already expressed enough but can be experimented more on the reel side." Yujin, who’s full of hope and happiness, agreed on it, as long as she will be the director.

 

And from there, history was made… And I promise was broken.


 

"Yujin!" Minju yelled to grab the director's attention.

 

"Minju…" Yujin grinned, but she tried her best to hide it. "Hey, Min! Uh… Congrats, for winning that Best Actress award. I don't know much but I guess it's a big thing for you. You totally deserve it."

 

"Aww, thank you, Yuj. It really is a big deal. But you! You're the one with a bigger award! I heard you also wrote the storyline? Gosh, all your hardwork finally paid off!"

 

Minju tapped Yujin's shoulder and smiled widely. "I'm so proud of you… So! I suppose there are already projects in line?"

 

"Well, yeah but…"

 

"Hmm? Why?"

 

"I… I'm kinda having doubts about it." Yujin truthfully answered.

 

"Huh?"

 

"I mean… I don't know if  I can create another film that'll exceed people's expectations. You know how I hate to be pressured. Besides," Yujin fidgeted. "I just gave it my one last shot because… You said that you'll be in my first film."

 

"Oh…" Minju's eyes quickly got filled with guilt and she bit her lip. "I'm really sorry, Yujin… I badly want to say yes when I was offered but I already signed the contract with my director that time that's why I had to decline."

 

"Oh, no, no… You don't have to apologize. It's just… Another promise, you don't have to be guilty about it." Yujin consoled.

 

"I'm really sorry, Yujin-ah… B-But this must be the reason why you should write and direct more films! This time, I promise, Yujin, I will be on your second movie."

 

"Are you sure? You really think I'll do better than this?"

 

"Of course! Remember what I told you before, Yuj? You just need to trust yourself. Be confident that you can-"

 

"Minju?"

 

One person softly mumbled, not wanting to sound disrespectful as she's already cutting their conversation.

 

"Huh? Oh! Come here-"

 

"Minju, the director's calling us for a photo op. We're also treating the staff to dinner, remember? We should go now."

 

"Oh, right, right…" Minju understood.

 

"Need to go now?" 

 

"Ah, yeah… Too bad," Minju cutely and ever so gently scratched her head to avoid ruining her perfect hair. She then remembered something. "Oh, forgot to tell you something-"

 

She pulled the girl who just arrived and casually held her hand.





 

"Meet Chaewon, my girlfriend."

 

 

 

 

 

"… I know."

 

 

 

 

 

Yujin smiled in a bittersweet way. "Just saw the news last month. You two almost broke the internet, you know? But it's not a surprise considering that Minju's a rising star and Miss Chaewon's already a child actress before. But I'm… relieved… to see that you're still together despite the hateful comments."

 

"Well, we can't change some people's mindset about love. We'll just waste our time if we try." Chaewon replied. "But what we can change is our mindset about our relationship. We need to be stronger if we want to make things work."

 

"W-Well, that's… Great. I… I wish that you two will have a happy ending, just like the characters in my story."

 

"Thank you, Yuj, really. I want to chat for some more but we really have to go now. Remember our deal, okay? Just create and create. I know you can continue your passion for directing. Send my regards to your Mom. Congrats again, see you some time."

 

They were already a meter away when Yujin called one last time.

 

"Miss Kim Chaewon!"

 

"H-Huh?" The girl faced her and was a bit puzzled to see Yujin's faint smile.






 

"Take care of Minju… For her fans." 

 

 

 

For me.

 

 

 

"I assure you! Congrats on the award, Director Ahn!" Those were the last words Yujin heard from them before they disappeared in the thick crowd.

 

Hyewon and Eunbi were right. Reaching this dream of hers was a long road. Was she hurt? Multiple times. Was it difficult? Really. Did she think of giving up? Ever since the start. But did she? No.

 

Now that Yujin realized, this wasn't for her past dream of being a director. Yujin did all of these, studied, persevered, spent sleepless nights brainstorming… Yujin did it all for her… Kim Minju. For Minju and the dream of maybe, someday, even if it's just a movie, Minju will be her leading lady.

 

 

And it came true, Minju became a leading lady...

 

 

... too bad it's for another person's story.