Song of Confession - Blue River

Song of Confession
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gusu’s food was either bland or heavy with herbs – no in between.

While his taste buds weren’t as “sensitive” as Weiying; one could only survive for so long. That was why the occasional trip to Caiyi Town with his brother was a must.

Lan Qiren and the elders in Gusu would be tied up with some business for few days. For the students, there had been nothing as better sounding as that. Wei Wuxian was quick to plan and he had agreed to it without so much as a fuss.

Everything was as usual until he received a simple but neatly-written letter not long after making the plans this morning.

‘I have to pass on the trip today.’

Weiying whined. ‘But whyyy~~~’

His brows twitched at that.

‘We have few days! I’ll go tomorrow and meet you guys there.’

Wei Wuxian pouted. Jiang Cheng could be a stiff neck sometimes but he was fun when he let loose. He had planned for so many things to do in Caiyi –especially drinking- and now the man said he wouldn’t be joining for the first part of the trip.

‘What business do you have that you can’t go?~~~’

Weiying did look like he asked for a hit on the head sometimes.

Jiang Cheng sighed. The content of the letter flashed back in his mind.

‘I just have something to do. Don’t sounds like you are about to lose a husband or something. I told you I’ll be joining tomorrow,’ he turned around and headed back to their dormitory.

Weiying was still pouting but Nie Huaisang was quick to offer solution.

‘Let’s ask Lan Wangji to go with us.’

The young man brightened up almost as immediately.

‘You’re right. Let’s go.’

 

Jiang Cheng was bored. It was too damn early and he had done everything there were that people could do in their bedroom –daily chores, mind you-  Now he was out of stuff to do and still got few hours to burn.

Gusu was famous for its water. He hadn’t had a good soak in a while.

 

The place was unusually empty today. According to Weiying, there was some sort of festival going on in the town and he guessed everybody –or most- went there to enjoy themselves. So when he arrived at one of the most secluded spring with not a soul in sight, Jiang Cheng was ecstatic. He quickly discarded his white student robe, folded them neatly so they wouldn’t be dirtied and stepped inside the cold spring.

Jiang Cheng was used to water back in Yunmeng. Hot or cold, he enjoyed them all the same.

Taking his time, the young man closed his eyes to meditate. The hair that touched the cold water floated around him like a soft black veil. His fair skin was a stark contrast against it, moist and wet.

Lan Xichen invited him over for dinner.

He didn’t know how to go over that but had decided to accept. It was a sudden and unexpected request. A little secretive, if you asked him. That was enough to pluck his interest.

As requested, he didn’t tell anyone about it.

It wasn’t everyday a nobody like him was invited for dinner by the first one in the list of best-looking young man in cultivation world. Who would ever shoot that down?

Sighing, Jiang Cheng reached up to undo his tied up hair and let it down. The cold water felt good and he felt like swimming in the deeper part of the spring. Nobody is around to watch his sticking up on the surface anyway.

 

Jiang Cheng had changed into a casual robe attuned to Yunmeng with soft violet color over white. He somehow avoided the one with intricate design and flashy shade because it was Gusu. It felt awkward to wear loud color and wander about this place. Giving his outfit a last check, he took a deep breath and gave few soft knocks on Hanshi’s door.

Lan Xichen opened the door with his usual smile.

‘Ah, you are here,’ he gave the young man a wider smile. ‘Please come in.’

It was hard not to blush in a presence of such good-looking man. However, Jiang Cheng managed not to and returned the smile.

‘Thank you.’

He stepped inside the place, taking a look around for the first time. As usual, everywhere were mostly white – Gusu Lan’s trademark – with some soft blue and dark wooden contrast. The furniture was simple, not exactly humble though; it was easy to see that it was carefully made and of quality.

Only splashes of red were from the orchid plant on the low table not far from him.

‘Please have a seat.’

Lan Xichen was a very polite gentleman to a point that it almost made him blush. His voice was always soft and gentle.

He sat down on the cushion next to the low table. On top of it was a tea set. Instead of sitting at the opposite, the first jade of Lan took a seat to his right. His delicate looking long fingers efficiently worked to pour some tea for him.

‘So, how is your stay in Gusu so far?’

He accepted the cup placed in front of him with soft thanks. ‘It’s really comfortable. The view is breathtaking.’

Xichen nodded with a smile.

‘I saw you’re doing well with your study too.’

A statement. More to a subtle compliment. Lan Xichen was the teacher’s trusted assistant after all. Of course he did check on the student’s work. This time, Jiang Cheng did blush slightly.

‘Thank you.’

As Jiang Cheng took a sip from the tea cup, the older man busied himself with taking out dishes from the wooden box. Waft of delicious spicy food caught his senses even before he set his eyes on it. The younger pride of Yunmen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter