Second Wave - A Drabble

Second Wave

Life's been a bit crazy (as I would imagine it to be for many of us) so here's a fanfic that fits the contemporary times :')

- toffee13


"They say there's going to be a second wave soon, even worse than the first!," Vivian pouted. 

Minghao smiled sadly, he was videocalling his girlfriend, something they have slowly become accustomed to in their routines since the global pandemic started. He could no longer travel back and forth from her and work without the risk of contracting the virus. So thus, for the past 8 months, they videochatted almost everyday. This was the longest time away from her since they had started dating, and even though they were frequently long-distance due to his work, nothing had prepared them for this.

"I'm sorry Viv, looks like we'll have to tough it out for a while longer"

Vivian nodded, "Looks like we'll have to postpone our night walks, huh." They had planned to reunite after quarantine, in the late summer or early fall. 

"It's better to be safe than sorry, I really wish I could go for a walk with you by the beach right now! The sound of the waves, the comfortable silence..." Minghao grew quiet, an idea had suddenly formed in his head. 

"Me too! I've been counting down the days till you come back," Vivian sighed.

"Well...maybe we can still go for a walk by the beach together," Minghao peered at her over his wide rimmed glasses. Vivian looked at him confused. "I mean, we could videochat each other at the beach! It would be different of course, but it could work!"

Vivian couldn't help but smile at him. Long distancing dating was a nightmare, but somehow if it was with him, it was all worth it. 

_____________________________________________________

"Aren't you afraid of people looking at you weirdly?" Vivian asked Minghao. They have decided to take public transport together, as it would be unsafe (as well as illegal) to video call someone while driving. 

"Why would I? There's barely anyone here, plus they can clearly see that I am calling my beautiful girlfriend!" Minghao had attached his phone to a selfie stick and was now showing Viv a 360 shot of the bus from where he was seated. Vivian giggled. Normally, a selfie stick would be a hazard on public transport, but with social distancing, everyone's personal bubble got bigger. Thus allowing Minghao to hold his phone at length with the selfie stick without smacking someone in the face.

Minghao was grateful everyday that technology could allow him to feel close to someone on the other side of the world. Even with masks on, he knew she was smiling. Her eyes never lied. Oh, to see them turn into waning crescent moons when she smiles. Seeing her smile made his day and he was scared to think about a day where he could no longer see her laugh or share the many joys of life with her.  

They each arrived at the beaches of the their respective locations safely, all the while still in call with each other. It felt like a a mini trip together, even without all the people squished up against each other on the bus or the usual hustle and bustle of life. Each laying out a beach blanket and propping up their phone, they had a calm beach picnic date for the rest of the afternoon.

As the sun began to set, they walked the length of the beach holding onto their phones as if it were their partner's hands. The lull of the waves reminded them that they were under the same moon, the same night sky and that they would never truly be separated.

The world may never truly be the same ever again, but they knew they could always find solace together. 

"Hey."

"Mm?"

"I love you."

"I love you too."


Back with another drabble after a long long long hiatus from writing! I swear I only write fanfics these days for my friends...sporadically (as you may have been able to tell, my friend's bias is Minghao). So please excuse me if my writing hasn't improved by much QAQ 

Hope you guys enjoyed the gifs haha

Stay safe and I love you all! 

-toffee13