The New Kid

Mind Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The walls of the academy were mountainous, lined the horizon, and being a small girl, her head tilted upwards in awe and her hands rattled in nervousness. Sweat lined her forehead and she wiped them now and then with the sleeve of her brand new white dress shirt, the logo of the academy embroidered at her heart, and the buttons buttoned all the way up to the top. 

The gate of the academy had two life-size lion statues at its side, the mascot of Fairchild Preparatory School. Maybe it was her anxiety that racked at her, but she swore she saw their eyes follow her movement. It probably was. 

“It gets better,” a voice said at her side. She followed the voice to the source, finding a girl staring at the statues too. Her hair was clipped neatly and her uniform was just like hers except the girl wore a grey vest with red linings, complete with the logo of a roaring lion at her . The girl turned her head and smiled, braces lining her teeth. 

“Student Council President,” the girl introduced herself before she held out her hand for a shake. Seulgi wiped her sweat from her hand on her skirt and took the girl’s offer. 

“Seulgi. I’m new."

“I could tell. Newer students usually freeze up like how you’re like at the moment. They see those lions and this wall and they stop right where you’re standing. Don’t worry too much about it. Just last year I was like you.”

Seulgi’s eyes widened. “Really? But you’re-”

“The student council president?” The president laughed at Seulgi’s surprise. “I don’t mean to brag, but I’ve earned the trust of my peers and teachers. I did so after I froze up where you’re standing.”

“Wow…” Seulgi gaped. 

“What’s your assignment?” Wendy asked.

“My assignment?”

“Your dorm assignment. Which building?”

Seulgi fumbled with the map in her hand, unfolding it and reading out the building where she was supposed to stay. “The Chardonnay Building,” she read.

“Ah, part of the Whites I see. I’m part of the Reds. The Cabernet Sauvignon Building.”

Reds? Whites? Seulgi did not understand a single word the president just said.

“Oh, you don’t know what that means. Forgive me. I’ve gotten ahead of myself.” The president held out her hand, signaling Seulgi to give her the map she was holding. When Seulgi gave her the map, the president explained the layout. “The campus is divided into two. The Whites and the Reds. Your building is right next to the greenhouse. My building is…” The president pointed at the other side of the campus. “...right here. Next to the gym. And in the middle are the classrooms. Be careful not to find yourself on the wrong side of campus if it’s not part of a class. They won’t take it lightly.”

“Who’s they?”

“For you? The Reds. They won’t hesitate to quite literally throw you inside a dumpster if you wander too far.”

“Oh…”

“The freshmen are divided evenly between the two based on GPA. Usually, the Reds have a slightly higher GPA but don’t mind that. It’s what you do now that counts.” The president gave the map back to Seulgi. 

“Thank you,” Seulgi said as she took the map back. “I would’ve been lost. What’s your name, by chance?”

“Wendy. Wendy Son. If you need help, you can find me in the main building. Third floor, next to the laboratories. That’s where the student council room is.”

Seulgi nodded and Wendy walked towards the gate. 

“Oh and by the way?” Wendy said as she lurched backward. “Stay away from Irene.”

“Who’s Irene?”

“Since you’re part of the Whites, she’s probably your worst nightmare.”

Seulgi frowned. “I’m not sure I follow.”

“Just...if she talks to you, you politely decline. Nothing good has come with ever dealing with Irene. Like Eunji…”

“Eunji?”

“Nothing!” Wendy blurted out before she laughed awkwardly. “Let’s get you to your dorm, shall we?”

Seulgi put the warning behind her and took her suitcase with her as she followed Wendy inside the campus. It was a grand showing, to say the least. As she entered, she was greeted by a neatly trimmed field of grass that spanned acres upon acres of space. At the far edge of the field was what Seulgi guessed was the main building. At each side of the main building were several other buildings that must have been the Red and White sides of campus. At the gate, they turned right, and as Seulgi walked the length of the pathway, oak trees gave her shade, and beds full of flowers lined the edges. They walked what seemed for ages, but Seulgi did not feel soreness in her legs. It just so happened that she was in awe of the vastness of space that the campus provided. Fairchild Prep was gorgeous. 

“Here we are,” Wendy said as they neared upon a building’s entrance. Above the door was a sign that said The Chardonnay Building. “I’m afraid this is where I must leave you. Even if I am the student council president, stepping inside one of the White’s buildings is still quite dangerous. If you need help, however, you can find my treasurer Yeri in room 305. Careful about her, though, she can be a bit off the rails sometimes.”

“Off the…” Seulgi paid it no more attention before she bowed her head slightly. “I really cannot thank you enough for the help you’ve given me. Is there anything I can do to pay you back?”

“As the student council president, I’d say this is part of my job, but I won’t turn down some free ice cream.”

“I’ll find you later and we can get ice cream,” Seulgi said as she smiled. 

“Great! Good luck and…” Wendy went closer to Seulgi and in a deep, low voice, she said, “...I’m serious about Irene. Stay away from her.”

“Got it. Stay away,” Seulgi repeated, internalizing the warning. 

Wendy nodded once before she headed towards the Red side of campus.

When she couldn’t see Wendy anymore, Seulgi turned around and looked at the building sign for a few moments before heading inside.

 

 

 

 

 

Room 210. Seulgi walked the hallways searching for her room. She had not seen a single soul ever since Wendy, and it all seemed so odd how it was so empty. As she neared the end of the hallway, she looked at the plaques of numbers even closer, and finally, she found it.

It was a door unlike any other, adorned with decorations from the base to the top. It was as if every sticker that was ever manufactured into existence was stuck on its surface. Seulgi visibly recoiled from the door as she took a step back and took in the ghastly sight in front of her. She looked at the plaque, the only piece of the door unsoiled by the stickers, and it read what she dreaded the most: 210.

With a sigh, she grasped the knob and turned it slowly. What greeted her was a small gust of wind, the room deathly cold, causing Seulgi to reactively shiver from the change in temperature. Unlike the door, the room was oddly normal. There were two desks, one on each side of the room, and two beds that were set beside the walls. Between the beds was the window, dressed with a white silk curtain that let the sunlight simmer through. 

On the bed, she found a body peacefully sleeping. As she headed inside, she made sure to make her steps light and did not roll her suitcase much before setting it aside beside the wall. She took small, furtive steps to her bed, and sat down above the covers. She just watched the girl sleep, taking note of the girl’s attractive features. Those lips, especially, were full and it was as though she had lipstick on. Seulgi was never the watcher. Sure, she was strange, but she never felt so...stalkerish until now. 

“I know I’m pretty, but you don’t have to stare so hard.”

Seulgi jumped from the voice and stammered out, “I’m sorry! Its just...you were sleeping and I didn’t want to disturb you and I really didn’t have anything to do or where to go so I just…”

“...was watching me sleep.”

“Y-Yes.”

The girl giggled. “My name is Sooyoung. Yours?”

“Seulgi. Kang Seulgi.”

“And I suppose you’re the transfer student we’re supposed to get.”

“Well yes, I’m here aren’t I?”

Sooyoung hummed as she sat up on her bed. “You know I didn’t want you here. I was the only student in Fairchild Prep who had a room all by herself. Now that you’re here, I can’t at 3 am without causing trouble.”

“Is that...a common occurrence?”

Sooyoung shook her head. “No, but now it’s not an option and I’m sorely regretting never getting to do it.”

“Oh…” Seulgi looked away from Sooyoung and watched the curtains instead.

“Smart one, are you?”

Seulgi shook her head. “I don’t think I am. I mean...I was average.”

“Average is good! You’re on floor two, which means you’re smarter than anybody above you. Wendy told you this. You met Wendy, didn’t you?”

“How did you-”

“Wendy likes to make it seem like it’s a coincidence that she met you, but that girl has everything all planned out in that head of hers. After all, she’s only a sophomore and she’s already the student council president. It’s best to stay on her good side. And by her good side, I mean, if she asks you to jump, you say how high.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter