A HAPPY birthday

Happiness When Least Expected
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Closing his drenched umbrella, and stepping his soaked shoes on the barely dry doormat, Jinyoung tries to recount what his thoughts were when he agreed to Jackson’s last-minute suggestion just this morning.

What was he even thinking when he chose to trust his bestfriend’s words when he said that he’ll pick him up at the bus stop at 9 pm after the one-and-a-half-hour ride? He actually believed that Jackson has a right sense of time? Jinyoung has been waiting in the shed for almost forty minutes, yet he still didn’t see any sign of Jackson, nor the car his bestfriend said he’ll drive to get to the bus stop. It took eight missed calls for Jackson to finally pick his phone up, only to tell him that he forgot to keep track of the time and before he knew, it’s already past 9:30. Jinyoung could only groan in deep frustration all the more when it started to thunder as lighting streaked. In less than a minute, it started raining. If he didn’t come up to his senses, he would’ve been drenched in the rain before he could even run to the nearby diner.

 

Jinyoung glanced up, scanning the place he just walked into. It’s a normal-looking diner not that he has been into a lot since he preferred eating at his dorm. It’s not brightly lit unlike convenience stores, but compared to the dark surrounding outside, this place is more preferable. His eyes darted on the counter where he saw a guy who Jinyoung thinks is just the same age as him, or if older, at least not that much. The guy who has blonde hair wears a blue apron which looks faded, and a beret which is of the same faded color too. The guy’s eyes were directed at him, but he didn’t hear anything until a few seconds passed.

“Good evening. Welcome to 25/8 Diner.”

Jinyoung only nods his head to the counter guy thinking about who had possibly come up with that kind of name for the diner. 25/8? Is this a way of telling the customers that they’re a notch better than the other 24/7 diners out there? And what the hell does 25/8 even mean? 25 hours and 8 days? How is that even possible? But, oh well. Why is he even giving a to this matter when he has his own s to deal with?

Right. He still has.

Shaking his unnecessary thoughts off, Jinyoung shifts his attention from the counter and onto the booths, finding one where he can sit on. But it seems like he didn’t need to look for one since all of the booths were empty. The diner has no customers aside from him, maybe because of the unexpected storm.

Figuring that it’ll be better to sit near the diner’s entrance where he could see the main road but not clearly because of the heavy rain, Jinyoung picked the booth which is only about three meters away from the counter and walked his way towards it. When he sat down and was about to rest his back on the couch, he felt that the back of his coat was wet. It figures because his umbrella was a bit small and not enough to cover his whole size and because the rain was really unruly right as he was running towards the diner a few minutes ago. Jinyoung took off his coat and glanced at the guy at the counter before placing it over the table. He didn’t know why he even glanced at the counter guy. It’s not as if the guy will call him out for letting his wet coat dry above the table. He could just wipe the table off with some napkin later before he leaves.

He looked through the window to check how bad the weather is outside but Jinyoung could barely see anything through the thick and big drops of rain. He lets out a defeated sigh, realizing that the rain won’t stop anytime soon. He looked around the diner again, and he feels more frustrated the more he thinks about it. How long will I be stuck here? He wonders.

This wouldn’t have happened if he didn’t let Jackson do things his way. Everything was already planned since last week. It’s his birthday tomorrow and because it just so happened that it’s a weekend, Bambam suggested that they go out of town and celebrate his special day at this resort which the Thai’s family owns. His friends Yugyeom and Jackson were already hyping up the suggestion. In fact, Jackson did the courtesy of planning the whole thing out and here’s what they originally agreed on:

1) Bambam will head there Friday morning since he didn’t have class then

2) since Bambam will arrive early, he’ll make sure that the villa where they’ll all stay at will be ready to accommodate them

3) Jackson, Yugyeom and him will be driving to the resort in the evening, preferably at 7pm since Yugyeom demands that they eat dinner first before going

4) they’ll stay in the resort until Sunday afternoon and drive back to the city because they still have classes by Monday

Everything would have gone according to plan, if it wasn’t for Jackson. Just this morning, when Bambam texted in the group chat that he’ll be leaving in an hour, Yugyeom suddenly said that his only class that day was cancelled by his professor. That meant he didn’t have to go to school, so the youngest decided to go with Bambam in his early trip to the resort. Jinyoung was all good with that since he still has Jackson to go with him later this evening. But then when he texted his bestfriend and asked what time are they gonna meet up, his bestfriend had the audacity to inform him only then that he already left hours ago with Yugyeom and Bambam. “I thought I texted you.” Was Jackson’s lame excuse when he started nagging at him for making a last-minute change in their plan.

Now, Jinyoung wonders… should have he just skipped class today like Jackson did? That knucklehead really chose to skip all his three classes today just to go with their other two friends. Jackson says it’s being brave, but Jinyoung rather say it’s being reckless. Well, Jinyoung certainly is not reckless. He had four classes today with the last one ending at 6pm. And he’s glad that he didn’t skip any of his classes.

He is just not happy with how this night turned out. But he refuses to even think that it’s because of his decision of staying behind and attending his classes, of course not! This is not because he chose to be a good and responsible student. This is because his bestfriend chose to be an impulsive and irresponsible human being. Okay, that might have been too much, but hell, he’s still mad.

His attention was drawn back when he heard his phone ringing. At first, Jinyoung looked for it in his jean’s pockets but remembered that he slipped it inside his coat before running so he checked if it was indeed there. He was able to get his ringing phone, reading the caller’s id. It’s his bestfriend. Jinyoung’s putting great emphasis on the term because he’s not sure if he’ll still use it to refer to the said guy.

Letting out a sigh deeper than the first one, Jinyoung pressed the answer button. He was then greeted by Jackson calling his name which sounded more like a child’s whine.

“Jinyoung-aaahhhhhh…”

“I hate you.” This is his immediate response to Jackson’s attempt of appealing to him. He made his voice sound as cold and stern as he can, so he could make the latter feel how much frustrated and disappointed he is, not only at the situation he’s currently in but moreover, at the very same guy he’s speaking over the phone with.

Jinyoung heard a sob but he knows Jackson too well to be certain that this sound was only made just for his bestfriend to be able to make himself sound apologetic so he would forgive him soon.

“I am sorry, okay?!” Jackson cried.

This made Jinyoung roll his eyes more intensely than needed. “Sorry, my .”

“NO! I REALLY AM SORRY!!!” This time, Jackson’s cry is louder; and more annoying to Jinyoung’s ears. “I really forgot to keep time. One minute it was only ten minutes past 8pm, and the next time I looked, it was already 9:30! I swear, I didn’t mean to make you wait for me for that long! I swear to God and all the other gods Prof. Chung has discussed in mythology although I didn’t retain much names. Jinyoung-ah!!! Please forgive me!!!”

Jinyoung could already imagine how Jackson is making this kind of face which he thinks is pitiful, but for him is only irritating. Letting out a heavier and more audible sigh, Jinyoung spoke.

“Even if I do forgive you, which I’m not saying I will and I don’t think I really would anytime soon, what will change huh?” He asked the latter. “I’m still stuck here in this stuffy diner for god knows how long while the three of you have a fancy villa all by yourselves. And I’m the one who you all said should be celebrating. What’s justice, even?”

At a couple of seconds’ length, Jackson mumbles in a smaller voice, “I’m sorry.”

Jinyoung could do nothing but heave his fourth sigh as he sits back, sinking onto the couch. Nope, still not comfortable. “After hating on you, the next one I’m gonna hate is Bambam. This is his suggestion after all. I should’ve just stayed at the dorm and ordered cheesecake. I’m sure I’d be happier.”

“Now that is just not fair!” That would be Bambam, faint shouting from the background. Maybe the Thai was standing a few feet from where Jackson was and maybe he was in loud speaker that’s why the rest of his friends were able to hear what he has said.

Jinyoung ignored Bambam’s violent reaction and just rolled his eyes. Jackson then was the one to talk.

“I’ll just drive to you now. You said you’re on a diner? Wait for me-”

“Are you crazy? It’s not safe.” He told Jackson.

“But you said-”

“I wanted to be picked up thirty minutes ago. Not now when the rainstorm is still at it.” There goes Jackson’s small sorry again but Jinyoung continued. “Don’t drive here while it’s still raining hard. Pick me up once it’s over, and then face my fury.”

Jackson was still about to say something but he ended the call even before the latter could get the first syllable out. Putting his phone on the table, Jinyoung yet again sighs frustratedly. Since college, he was never fond of celebrating his birthday. He usually just let it pass like a regular day. He usually didn’t have the spare time to celebrate due to school works. But him being stuck at a diner amidst a rainstorm surely isn’t how he wanted his special day to go.

He took another glance outside through the foggy window. Seeing that the chance of the rainstorm dying out anytime soon is thinner as a strand of hair, Jinyoung starts to think of what to do during his time here. He looked back at the counter where the blonde guy was still standing behind, wiping it clean. He thought that if he’s gonna stay here for some time, might as well order something. His excuse for staying here is valid because of the rainstorm but getting himself a cup of hot coffee would be nice too.

Jinyoung stood up from the couch and walked his way to the counter, catching the blonde’s attention.

“Yes, may I help you?” the guy- Mark (it’s written on his nameplate), asked him.

He nodded and replied. “Yes. I’d like a cup of hot coffee.” Jinyoung says as he takes out his wallet.

The blonde punches buttons on the cash register before looking back at him. Jinyoung noticed that his eyes were brown, just a shade darker than his own. “That’ll be 4,100 won.”

Jinyoung handed him the cash and waited for his change. The blonde handed it to him together with the receipt and turned around to start working on his coffee. After about three minutes, he was handed with his coffee as the blonde nodded and smiled

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter