5- BROKEN

Jewel In The Palace
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Since Eunhyuk had read all the books Lady Cho brought him, she decided to take him to the Palace Library. The Library was located on the other side of Eunhyuk’s room, Lady Cho taught him how to get there and Eunhyuk quickly memorized the way.


He was not allowed to take Bada to the library though, the tiger usually would still be in his enclosure for breakfast or playing in his pond during Eunhyuk’s time in the Library with Lady Cho.


Today, he was supposed to meet Lady Cho in the library, Eunhyuk was walking alone through the corridors of the palace, when he saw some maids whispering and gathering on the window on one side of the corridor.


Eunhyuk went to see what they were looking at.


The window was facing the city outside the palace walls, Eunhyuk could see people gathered and screaming at something, although he couldn’t really caught what they were screaming about. They gathered around some kind of a platform where a burly man wearing a mask was waiting, he carried a large axe in his hand.


Soldiers came marching into the platform with several haggard looking men who had their hands tied together. Eunhyuk could hear the mass of people yelling louder now, some even threw eggs and rotten fruits at the men.


There was an official who seemed to be having a quick speech to the crowd, after the Officer was done, the men were made to kneel by a thick block.


It happened so fast, the axe swung, and the men’s head fell to the ground.


The maids gasped at the sight, Eunhyuk’s eyes widened in shock, this was the first time he witnessed a public execution.


“Girls, please return to work when you’re done watching the execution like common peasants”, a male voice came out from their back, surprising the maids and Eunhyuk.


There, standing on the hallway was a young man, like Eunhyuk, he was wearing a simple shirt and pants, the boots he was wearing was another story though, Eunhyuk recognized them as something similar to Donghae’s.


“Ah we also got a royal kitten here”, he motioned at Eunhyuk, his smile was playful, “I didn’t know you’re allowed to play outside by yourself”.


The maids dismissed them selves, they bowed at the young man respectfully, and left in a hurry.


Eunhyuk was sure they’d met at the garden party, but he couldn’t remember if they’d been introduced to each other, so he was quite awkward and had no idea how to address the other man.


“My name is Sungmin”, he gave a friendly smile to Eunhyuk, “And I believe you’re Eunhyuk? Come, let me take you to the library, Lady Cho must be waiting for you”, he took Eunhyuk’s arm as if they were best friends.


Sungmin seemed to be a high ranked noble, judging from the way people they passed bowed and greeted him, but he looked so carefree and easygoing, unlike the stiff looking nobles. Eunhyuk found it easy to befriend Sungmin.


“What just happened?” Eunhyuk asked.


“When people do bad things they become the enemy of the Empire, if they can’t prove their innocence, the Emperor would sentence them to death”, Sungmin explained, “Those are the Daegu Rebels … I believe one of them broke the window to your room”.


Did Donghae sentence those men to death?


Eunhyuk couldn’t believe the same man who read him books and touched him so intimately and gently would order such cruel sentence.


“Don’t mind your pretty head with such thing”, Sungmin said to Eunhyuk airily, “The Emperor is not a cruel man, he always make sure that everybody gets a fair trial before sentence”.


They arrived at the library, Eunhyuk could see Lady Cho reading a book as she was waiting for him.


“Thank you for your time …”


“Just Sungmin, no need to address me with a royal title”, Sungmin cut him, “We’re friends, right?”


Eunhyuk nodded, although still a bit confused.


“Go and see Lady Cho now … Don’t make her wait”, Sungmin then added, “We will surely see each other again Eunhyukkie!”


That day, Lady Cho taught Eunhyuk about the law, explaining about the prison and sentences one could receive for breaking the law, the kinds of crimes and their sentences. It was quite difficult for Eunhyuk to memorize but Lady Cho made it sound easier by setting examples that Eunhyuk could understand.


The next day, early in the morning, a guard came to get Eunhyuk. The Emperor was expecting him outside, he said.


To Eunhyuk’s surprise, his royal lover was waiting for him with a handsome white horse.


“This is Maximus, he’s my war horse”, the Emperor explained.


“Hello Maximus”, Eunhyuk touched the white horse, unlike Bada, the beast ignored him.


“He’s a lot more serious than Bada, he doesn’t play”, the Emperor told Eunhyuk.


Donghae mounted the horse easily, he then offered his hand to Eunhyuk, “Let’s go”.


Eunhyuk blinked, he never rode a horse before.


The stable hand helped to positioned Eunhyuk behind the Emperor, Eunhyuk held Donghae’s body and was a little unsure. What if he falls? Donghae’s hand squeezing his arm ensured him that he would be fine.


Donghae made sure that Eunhyuk was holding on to him properly, before sending Maximus to a trot. They reached the gate in no time, passing through the beautiful gardens and finally the road around the Palace, Eunhyuk had never gone behind the walls but he had seen the road from his window.


Donghae urged Maximus to a gallop, Eunhyuk yelped as he was surprised at the change of pace, his arms tightening around Donghae who smirked in secret.


Everything around them became blurry to Eunhyuk’s eyes, at first he was scared that he would lose his balance, but after a while, he could follow the horse’s movements and he began to enjoy the ride.


As they passed the second gate, Eunhyuk saw more people, this was the outer part of the Palace, it looked more like a small town, with nobles, servants and soldiers walking around, doing their chores.


Of course everybody scattered to give way at the sight of Maximus galloping full speed through the narrow road.


Before they reached the main gate and the courtyard, Donghae steered Maximus to the other side of the Palace, the Palace Stable. Their last stop.


By the time Donghae helped Eunhyuk to get down from Maximus’ back, his legs were shaking, but Eunhyuk grinned, happy at the new experience.


They spent the day together, Donghae showed Eunhyuk the Royal Stable and the area where the soldiers practiced archery, before having lunch together. Many nobles saw them and pretended not to ogle at the simple looking young man the Emperor brought with him.
*
“… and he has the guts to parade his all over the palace!” Another vase hit the Emperor’s painting, the Queen screeched, “I can’t take this anymore!”


“Your Majesty …” Taeyoon tried to calm her lady’s anger while Sooyoung saved the tea set from her Queen’s wrath.


“He’s getting bolder and bolder with his affection for his fisherman ! Now everybody knows who the Emperor favors! And that is not me!!”


Yoona hurled a teacup to the painting, but it missed the Emperor’s face, she gave another frustrated scream.


“Your Highness … Please … you must contain your anger”, Sooyoung finally said, “Didn’t the Emperor is going to another military campaign in one week? It’ll be a good time to get rid of the filthy boy when the Emperor is away”.


“That’s correct My Queen”, Taeyoon quipped, “We are not without a plan, are we?”


An evil smile crept up the Queen’s face.


“That’s right, we do have a plan … let’s proceed with the plan while the Emperor is away”.
*
Donghae spent the whole week with Eunhyuk, he would come to see Eunhyuk after meeting his counselors. His army was preparing to strike another pirate movements around the East Sea.


Eunhyuk was worried but Donghae kissed Eunhyuk’s face and told the younger man that his army was the greatest in the whole continent.


That settled Eunhyuk a bit.


“I won’t be able to write you for some time”, Donghae combed Eunhyuk’s dark tresses as they laid side by side after another round of , “I’ll be in the sea for a month or so”.


“It’s alright”, Eunhyuk replied, “Just promise me …” he linked their fingers and placed their joined hands on his chest.


“What is it that you want?”


“Don’t forget about me”.


“How can I forget you, my Jewel?” the Emperor kissed Eunhyuk’s plump lips, “I could never forget you”.


They had another round of slow love making after that.


The day the Emperor left with the Royal Navy, Eunhyuk watched the procession from his window with Bada.


Two days after the Emperor left, Yuri returned. She looked pale and gaunt, dark circles were under his eyes, she didn’t talk much and she didn’t smile when she did her chores.


Eunhyuk failed to notice it, but Bada kept his eyes on the maid, even when he was playing with Eunhyuk, he would stop and kept a watchful eyes on Yuri as she did her chores. After she left the room, Bada resumed playing with Eunhyuk.


When Yuri was going to help Eunhyuk to his bath, Bada growled and didn’t allow the maid to come closer to Eunhyuk. Yuri bowed and explained that she had been taking care of his sick father so perhaps she smelled like medications and the tiger mistook the smell as poison. The reason made sense to Eunhyuk so he didn’t suspect anything more.


Bada still wouldn’t allow Yuri to come near Eunhyuk, so it was Hyoyeon who assisted Eunhyuk.


O

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter