you’re my city lights

you’re my city lights
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What are you doing?”

Ryeowook sends both the pen he was holding and the notebook he was writing on flying off the table, not avoiding a squeak right out of his throat in the process.

“Nothing.”

Kyuhyun raises an eyebrow. “You should pick that up.”

Ryeowook’s lips form a thin line as he starts drumming his fingers on the table, but he doesn’t move any other muscle. Kyuhyun keeps staring him down, only shifting his field of vision for a split second to glance at the clock on the wall above Ryeowook’s head.

“It’s four in the morning.”

Ryeowook’s expression shifts to a conflicted frown. Conflicted, because Kyuhyun isn’t sure whether to classify it as confused, or just plain embarrassed. It mostly looks as if Ryeowook doesn’t even know which emotion to display first himself.

“I’m aware.”

Kyuhyun makes a knowing sound, then purses his lips and continues his staring activity.

“I’m the one who doesn’t sleep, usually.”

“I had a thing to do,” Ryeowook mutters, still pointedly avoiding Kyuhyun’s gaze. The notebook is still sprawled on the floor, and Kyuhyun’s given up on trying to make out anything on it. Ryeowook hadn’t even the lights—the only source of illumination he’s using comes from his phone’s flashlight. Whatever’s on the notebook looks more like a smudged shadow than anything else.

Kyuhyun nods, then his head to the side. “At four in the morning.”

Ryeowook nods, though it isn’t nearly as calm as Kyuhyun’s head tilt. It’s more of a frantic assertion.

“It was very urgent.”

Kyuhyun hums under his breath in acknowledgment, and Ryeowook shuts up. The notebook is still abandoned to its uncertain destiny, and the pen—which is cactus shaped, and Kyuhyun’s first thought is to ask where he bought it because it’s adorable, and his second thought is why would Ryeowook buy a cactus shaped pen in the first place—is keeping it company in all its sad glory.

It’s almost elegant, the way they both landed on the floor. He could pass it off as a Pinterest composition with the right lighting.

He blinks, side-tracked by his own thoughts and how he’d forgotten to actually check on Ryeowook for a good half minute. However, once he snaps out of his reverie, all he finds is Ryeowook still staring at the table.

“Ryeowook-ah?” he tries, bringing up his arm to touch Ryeowook’s shoulder. Ryeowook flinches, which doesn’t make any sense, and Kyuhyun finds himself frowning again. “I was ready to tease you about picking up my habits from me, but I think I’m worried now.”

A couple more seconds pass, and Kyuhyun is ready to start debating whether he should call an ambulance, but then Ryeowook’s eyes actually meet his—and the look on his eyes might just be the oddest thing he’s seen this week.

“What?” Kyuhyun blinks at him, the frown slowly leaving his own face as he stares back at him. “Do I have something on my face?”

Ryeowook offers him a little lopsided smile—shy, almost. 

“No. You don’t.”

Kyuhyun raises an eyebrow. “Then what?” 

“I got inspired by something,” Ryeowook murmurs, then looks away once again, as if he just remembered he wasn’t supposed to do it. “I was anxious I would forget it if I didn’t do it now.”

“Oh.” Realization finally dawns on him. “Were you composing?”

Ryeowook slumps back in his chair. “Maybe.”

Kyuhyun shakes his head at the silliness of it all. Was that so hard to admit? It’s not like he hasn’t done it himself before. Inspiration always hits at the most random times.

“So, what’s the big deal?” Kyuhyun sinks down to his feet and reaches out to grab the notebook. “Can I see?”

“No!” Ryeowook blurts out, and then snatches the notebook out of his hand before Kyuhyun can even take a look at it. “Sorry.”

“What is it that’s such a big secret?” Kyuhyun looks at him through narrow eyes, still trying to adjust to the dark. “Are you sure you were composing and not writing or something?”

“Kyuhyun!” Ryeowook exclaims, as if he just heard the most offensive thing ever spoken in the history of humanity. “Wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter