Take A Glimpse

Gray Matter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojin is not one for surprises. Actually, that was an understatement. She absolutely hated them. 

She found no joy in the impromptu shifting of plans. She liked things to stay meticulously on schedule. Her days were planned out to the minute, so that they ran perfectly. Like clockwork. No stutters. No blimps. No detours. 

Which is why, at this moment in time, she was in an uncomfortable chair, in a white room, only accompanied by a slim figure in a lab coat—her entrusted friend, Song Yuqi. Yuqi was the lead developer of Glimpse—a liquid that allowed people to see glimpses of their future. Advanced technology that has yet to be regulated by the government. However, it piqued the interest of many. As a result, many volunteered to take part in Glimpse's clinical trials, and Soojin was one of the many who willingly volunteered to become a human lab rat.

"How many do you plan on drinking this time?" Yuqi asked.

"I have time for 4," Soojin answered concisely. Each shot took about fifteen to twenty minutes and she had exactly one hour and thirty minutes until her next engagement. Therefore, she decided four shots was a safe amount to take today. She was not planning to run late for her next appointments. 

"Did you make room in your schedule to have a conversation with me, Soojin?" Yuqi asked jokingly because she knew that Soojin always made time for a little bit of small talk. 

"You should know by now that I always account for your talkativeness. You have..." Soojin answered while delivering a playful attack on Yuqi's neverending energy when it came to keeping a conversation. Soojin was demure while Yuqi was outspoken. It balanced out. Soojin glanced down at her watch. "...Exactly five minutes to catch up with me today." Sometimes Yuqi would have three minutes. Sometimes two. One time, she had eight. This time, she had five. 

"You are absolutely enchanting, as always," Yuqi replied. 

"Thank you very much. I do appreciate your compliments. Especially when they are sarcastic," Soojin retorted. 

So Yuqi asked about work and life and Soojin answered. Then, Soojin asked about work and life and Yuqi answered. 

Exactly four minutes and thirty seconds have passed. "30 seconds, Yuqi," Soojin noted. Anyone else would probably think the time limit was rude and unnecessary, but Yuqi was used to Soojin's idiosyncrasies. Nothing truly fazed her anymore. 

She spent the last thirty seconds of her time asking a routine question. A question about what Yuqi suspects is the real reason Soojin kept coming back to sit in these uncomfortable chairs, to sit in enclosed in these blank, boring white walls. To take time out of her day to sit here.  

"Have you met her yet?"

"Nope," Soojin replied concisely. She had not met the face that appeared in the first Glimpse she took two years ago. The face that seemed to make time stop. The face that caused her heart to figuratively skip a beat. The face of a girl so beautiful, Soojin had spent a good portion of the 1,051,200 structured minutes of her life here, in this very room. 

"Cheer up," Yuqi offered. "You'll get there eventually." 

"I know." And she did know. Glimpse offered certainty. She knew there would be a day when she could see that face outside of these white walls. She just didn't know when.

Yuqi prepared the first shot—exactly 50 mL. The liquid was cloudy and had the viscosity of water. The metallic taste was tolerable at most. As the liquid rushed down Soojin's throat, it left a trail of a familiar cooling sensation, one similar to menthols. A few seconds after it absorbed into Soojin's bloodstream, the Glimpse begins.

 

1.

Cold. It was cold. 

She looked around. She was outside this time. Outside of a chocolate shop. She peeked inside the store, finding herself looking down the aisle of expensive Belgium chocolates with a bouquet of flowers in her hands. It must be Valentine's Day. 

There was evident worry on future Soojin's face. Her legs were tapping at the ground at an unnaturally rapid pace. She would look at her watch more constantly than she usually does—mind you, she already looked at her watch an unhealthy amount of times in a single day. She must be pressed for time. But why? One of the reasons she made schedules was so stress wasn't much of an issue. There was always a place she had to be at, there was always something she had to do, and there was always enough time. 

The uncharacteristically stressed Soojin took out her phone and dialed someone. 

"Minnie, I need your help. Dark or milk chocolate. Which one does she like better?"

"Please, just this once."

"I promise, I can do better."

"I know I messed up. That's why I'm trying to apologize!"

Future Soojin eventually picked up half of the store's items in a frenzy. She could only assume whoever this Minnie was, she was not very fond of helping Soojin at the moment. 

Present Soojin followed the rushed person holding a bouquet and a bag that was much too full of chocolate to look like anything but a robbery.

One cab ride later, she is at an unfamiliar apartment.

Soojin knocks on a door. The door opens and revea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter