Final Inning

Swing and Run
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a cloudy Friday afternoon when Hitomi and Nako walked home from their university classes. Nako found it strange that Hitomi was unusually quiet. She did not make a fuss about not stopping at the bakery for her "daily bread", even more so that it was the weekend, and she has not laughed at arguing high school student couples at the nearby bus station. Nako noticed that the other Japanese girl had her head down, deep in thought with her teeth feasting on the dry skin on her lips.

Nako could not take the curiosity brewing in her gut and asked, "What's up with you today, Hiichan?"

Hitomi was flustered by the sudden question and stuttered, "Me? Oh-- Um-- I'm fine. What makes you think something's up with me? I--"

" First of all, you're coming home with me and not Chaewon. Second of all, you never stutter in front of everyone except Chaewon, Hiichan. And the last time I checked, I'm still Yabuki Nako."

"Oh really? I thought you were Nabuki Yako--"

"Ya," Nako gave Hitomi a slight shove, "This is one of the few times that I'm actually trying to be nice to you. If you call me that name again, I swear to the heavens that I will ing kick your . Now spill, what's gotten you all so crabby today?"

Hitomi stopped walking and looked Nako in the eyes, "I heard Chaewon talking about us with her friends."

"And?"

"I think I'm not good enough for her anymore."

 

One Hour Ago

Remind Chaewon to never meet Choi Yena and Kang Hyewon on a Friday afternoon.

She was waiting for her girlfriend Hitomi to finish her classes since her last class was cancelled because of their professor's family emergency. Left with nothing to do for two hours, she reached out to Yena and Hyewon to see if they wanted to hang out. That was how she ended up in an empty classroom in the Performing Arts building of their university with five people sitting around a table with three bottles of soju on it. Hyewon and Yena were seated together on one side, while Sakura, a short-haired blonde computer science major, sat with Chaeyeon, a dance major. Chaeyeon's class also ended early which was why they could turn her classinto 

"Chaewon-ah, take the ing shot. It's taking too long, man." Hyewon whined from the opposite end of the table. This midday drinking fiasco was her idea, although her motivations were unknown. But that was just who Hyewon was: unpredictable.

"Chill the out, Hyewon. It's not like we're drinking to get drunk," Chaewon replied before drinking the soju shot all at once. She felt the warm fluid down as she swallowed the unflavored alcoholic drink. This is nasty, she thought, but it feels good nonetheless.

"We're on a timer though. You'll still need to pick your little girlfriend up. What was her name? Hidomi? Hyundai?"

"It's Honda Hitomi, Hyewon. Get it right. We've been dating for almost a year. You've gone through three relationships during that time." As Chaewon said this, the two other people in the group reacted violently.

"Three? Who's the other one, Hyewon? I only know of me and Chaeyeon!" Sakura asked while she waved her arms around to exaggerate how shocked she was.

"It's Kwon Eunbi the music major," Hyewon answered nonchalantly, "We went out for a few dates after Chaewon here broke her fragile heart. And it's not my fault we don't know your girlfriend's name. You haven't even introduced her to us."

"Knowing each and every one of you, I'd rather not get her exposed to you. You're the epitome of bad influences in terms of relationships."

Chaeyeon reached for her phone to search the name on Instagram. "God damn you two, this music major's fiiiiiine girl. You broke up with a girl this fine? I can't believe you. I'm sliding in her dms right now."

Hyewon whipped her head up to look at Chaewon, "Why did you break up with her anyway?"

"No particular reason. We just weren't a good fit."

Yena started clapping out of nowhere as if to applaud what Chaewon had just said. "What a boy answer, Chaewon. I love it. Welcome to the club!" She reached for the shot glass and made a toast, which was met by laughs and applause from the other people at the table. It was true. Their group had a reputation for being players in relationships, if they were in one. Chaewon would always deny that she was a "boy" since her relationships usually lasted just over a year, but people just included her in the clique because she hung out with them too much. 

"Yeah, yeah. Speak for yourself, Yena. You're the one who couldn't get over your ex no matter how hard you tried. Anyway, do you all want to play Never Have I Ever?"  Chaewon made the suggestion hoping that the topic of the conversation will be shifted away from her.

"Why that game?"

"That way, Hyewon's getting the most alcohol. It's a win-win situation. Right, Hyewon?" Chaewon said with a wink.

Unbothered, Hyewon replied, "Yeah, sure. I'd rather drink more than wait for you weaklings to finish your shots."

They started the game by spinning an empty bottle to determine who was going to go first. The bottle chose Chaeyeon, who had an evil smirk on her face as soon as the bottle stopped spinning.

"Never have I ever... Spent the night at a lover's place."

"What? You dine and dash?" Sakura asked, her face filled with a mix of curiosity and disgust.

"Yeah. Cuddling is overrated, you know. I would rather sleep in my own bed. Now drink up girls!"

As expected, Hyewon took a shot. Sakura also drank hers, but what surprised everyone was that Chaewon also emptied her glass.

Yena was the first one to react. "Oh my God, Chaewon? That's a pleasant surprise. I love it!"

"It's better than dining and dashing. Sakura, you're up."

Sakura filled everyone's glass and said, "Alright. Never have I ever... Not slept with anyone I've been with longer than 3 months."

There was an eerie silence between the girls, who were just looking each other and not looking to reach for their glasses.

Except for one.

Chaewon emptied her shot glass in one gulp. After finishing her glass, she looked around to see her friends with their eyes widened. It was so quiet that noise from the students in the hallways and classrooms could be heard.

"What?" 

"Won-ah... What is wrong with you? I'm pretty sure this is not Eunbi," Hyewon asked in an amused voice. She definitely was surprised, but she should have expected it from the younger girl. Chaewon was always full of surprises. "Is this your new girl Honda? You haven't slept with her yet?"

Chaewon did not respond and chose to just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter