Jealousy? Or Suspicion?

Midnight Hours

This was the last place you wanted to be. It didn’t matter that the situation was different this time around. It didn’t matter that you’d argued that this was the last thing any of you should have been doing with the blood moon right around the corner. Granted, you were only using that angle to try and get out of it, but you thought you still had a good point. Baekhyun muttered something about jealousy before scurrying off.  

You were not jealous. Why would there be any reason for you to be jealous of Mina? This time around, you wouldn’t have to cover her in water to get her to back off. 

Uneasy was the feeling you would say she gave you. Her hair still reminded you too much of the woman from your visions. It would be too much of a coincidence for her not to be, given the timing of her arrival and the fact that she was sticking around much longer than Dana had anticipated. You didn’t voice this assumption in order to avoid an argument or hurting Dana’s feelings. Mina was her best friend after all. She was supposed to be trusted. But you couldn’t quite hop on that particular train. 

You tapped your foot at an impatient pace against the concrete. Sehun had run off somewhere “real quick” and left you alone leaning against a red brick building where you were supposed to be meeting the others. A pounding headache made your forehead throb. You rubbed the skin, hoping that would help sooth it, but nothing helped. 

“You okay?”

You jumped a fraction from Sehun’s unexpected reappearance. 

“Yeah, I’m fine,” you lied, even plastering on a smile. “Just tired.”

He narrowed his eyes. “You sure?”

“Yeah,” you nodded. Wanting to change the subject, you pointed to the braided white string peeking out of his pocket. “What’s that?”

Noticing the string, he quickly stuffed it into his pocket. “It’s nothing.”

Now it was your turn to narrow your eyes. What was he hiding? 

Too curious for your own good, you pounced on him, clawing for his pocket. But Sehun was quick. He kept you back with his ridiculously long arms and no matter how hard you fought, your fingertips only brushed against the surface of his jeans. 

“Come on, Sehun,” you grunted through gritted teeth. The effort you were exuding was making you break out in a slight sweet on your forehead and upper lip. He, however, seemed to be nothing but amused. “Just let me see it.”

“No.” The jerk didn’t even sound a bit out of breath. 

Huffing, you stopped fighting and stepped back. “Why not?”

“Because I said so.”

“Oh, no. We’re not playing that game.”

“Fine. Tell me what’s bothering you and I’ll show it to you.”

You gaped at him. Seriously? He was going to try and pull that on you? “Nothing’s bothering me.”

“Liar.”

You folded your arms across your chest. “What makes you think I’m lying?”

“Because you’ve been in a mood ever since Dana brought up getting together with Mina again.” He raised an eyebrow at you, waiting. 

“I have not been in a mood,” you scoffed. 

“Yes, you have,” Sehun said. A predatory look flashed in his eyes as he stalked towards you. With no chance to jump out of the way or escape, you found yourself trapped between him and the wall, an arm on either side of you caging you in. 

Resisting the urge to gulp, you looked at each arm. You tried to convey boredom and an air of unaffectedness in your eyes. “Do you really think you can intimate the answer out of me?”

Sehun was taken aback by your comment, even straightening up and breaking the cage he’d put you in. “Th-that’s not what I was trying to do.”

“Maybe not consciously, but that’s typically the tactic you wolves tend to leans towards.”

“Sorry.” Sehun cleared his throat and shoved his hands in his pockets. It wasn’t the kind of apology you could entirely believe, but you’d let it slide. “But I still want to know what’s bothering you. And don’t say nothing, because I know that’s not true. I can tell. You’re constantly fidgeting and more argumentative lately.”

Wonderful. He was picking up on your other nervous habits. “Maybe that’s just who I am,” you said as you started picking at your cuticles. 

He placed a hand over both of yours. “(y/n)-”

“Hey!”

Lottie bounced up to the two of you, her smile shining brightly as Tao skidded to a stop behind her. Sehun shifted his hand so his fingers were interlaced with yours. As much as you appreciated the turn of events, you had a feeling this conversation would be revisited in the future. 

“Hey,” you greeted with a fake cheeriness. A queasiness was bubbling in your stomach. Sehun had developed this ability to read your face even when you were trying desperately to keep it neutral. How could he pick up on the microscopic changes in your expression? How could he read the emotions that you’d once been so good at concealing?

Or maybe you were never good at it from the start and Soomi and Mother Willow were just being polite and not pushing you to open up in the same way Sehun did so easily. 

“So we have some good news!” Tao beamed as he wrapped his arms around Lottie’s waist. 

He was hands down one of the touchiest of the wolves when it came to his mate - and that was a very competitive title. The boy would pout or whine if she put space between them or needed to leave the room for a second. You were half surprised that he didn’t follow her around everywhere. You’d once commented about it under your breath which earned a side eye from Sehun. He mentioned later that Lottie actually did have to have a talk with Tao about it. 

Apparently several of the mates have had to have “that talk” because a wolf’s natural instinct is to keep that contact and proximity. The longer they go without it, the more agitated they become. 

“Jongdae was the worst because he let it go on for so long,” Sehun had said as he played with your hair. The two of you had been lying on his (your?) bed, talking about nothing and everything, basking in the time alone. “He’d snap at the tiniest thing. Then when she had to live here at the house with us, it got even worse because she was near but he was still being stubborn. A few of us started being a little flirty with Jiyoung, pushing Jongdae’s buttons for the hell of it.”

“That is so mean,” you’d scolded, but any power was lost behind the chuckle that came with it. 

Sehun shrugged. “He kind of deserved it. He was an to Jiyoung for something that wasn’t her fault.”

You’d mulled over these new details you were learning about the wolves. Sehun had been a bit cranky in the beginning of your stay here, but he didn’t have to suffer too long before giving in. 

“What about Junmyeon?” you’d asked suddenly. 

  Sehun frowned. “What do you mean?”

“Kita was gone for a few weeks, but I never saw him get agitated about it.”

“That’s because he’s had practice at holding it in.” he explained. “Can you imagine having to be in charge of all of us? All the time? He’s got being calm and collected down to an art.”

That made sense. You’d seen the craziness that came with such an unusually large pack on a daily basis. You just hoped that Sehun didn’t try to sew himself to your hip.

Lottie elbowed Tao in the stomach, sending him a disapproving look before turning back to you. “What Tao means to say is that Mina dragged Dana into helping her with something before joining us so they’re running late.”

“Kyungsoo’s annoyed, as you can imagine,” Tao snickered. 

Sehun looked at you with a very pointed expression. Your response was to stick your tongue out at him. 

“So, what now?” Sehun asked the others. 

A grin spread across Tao’s face, crinkling his eyes. 

Lottie rolled her eyes. “We are not going shopping.”

In a flash, the smile was gone. In its place was his signature pout, but he didn’t argue. 

“We could always go ahead and go over to the festival,” you suggested. 

Now it was Lottie’s turn to shine. “Yeah! That sounds like a good idea. Let’s go!” She twirled out of Tao’s arms, taking his hand, and headed towards the center of the business district before he could voice his own opinion on the idea. 

White tents with open fronts lined up in rows facing each other, taking over the streets where patrons typically parked to visit the more permanent stores in the area. Even though it was the middle of the afternoon, the square was full of people milling about. They traveled in chaotic lines, going from tent to tent, stopping to examine the wares and products made by both local craftsmen and traveling artists alike. 

“Jiyeon should really think about putting her own work up for one of these things someday,” Lottie commented. 

“What does Jiyeon do?” She was one of the older mates - the first one, if you remembered correctly - but you hardly ever saw her or Minseok, the two of them seem to prefer to keep to themselves. When you did see her, she was usually with Evie. The two of them were close, almost like sisters with how in sync they were. She, too, had a motherly feel to her, but you couldn’t bring up the courage to start any sort of conversation with her. 

“She’s a photographer,” Sehun answered. 

“More like Minseok’s personal paparazzi,” Tao snicked. 

Lottie yanked her hand out of his. “Would you stop. Jiyeon can take pictures of whoever she wants as much as she wants. Especially Minseok.”

“Besides, everyone knows you’re just bitter because she’s never wanted to help you with any of your ideas,” Sehun added. 

“She took Kris and Evie’s engagement photos!” 

“Which is different than your fashion shoots.”

Blowing out air, Tao stomped off to a booth that was free of any photography. He pretended to be extra interested in the hand knitted beanies that were hanging from a display tree. 

“I’m not going after him,” Lottie said. 

Sehun huffed. “Fine. I’ll babysit him.” He walked off towards his friend, leaving you awkwardly standing there with Lottie. To your relief, she was kind enough not to try and force conversation. Instead she turned her attention to a Halloween themed booth. 

Little clay figurines covered the tables: black cats with their curved backs, Jack-o-lanterns with welcoming grins among, friendly ghosts among other cliche symbols of the season. One figure that you’d seen all too often caught your eye. Carefully, you picked up the green-skinned witch with the black and purple striped socks and pointed hat. Her nose was large and hooked, her hair frizzy and crimped. The typical picture that children thought of when they heard the word “witch”.

“Does that ever bother you?” Lottie asked quietly enough to not be overheard by the creator. 

You shook your head. “No. You get used to it. Especially when you remember that, to everyone else, you don’t really exist. You’re a fairytale or scary story. I can’t take offense when they don’t know any better.”

“But it can’t feel good when everyone see witches as ugly and evil.”

“Not everyone does,” you countered. “There’s a lot of stories where witches are good. CharmedHalloweentown, Glinda the Good Witch. Although, if I’m honest, Wicked is one of my favorites.”

“The musical?” Lottie tilted her head, confused.

You laughed. “Yeah. I saw it once, years ago. Mother Willow didn’t approve - she doesn’t like any stories that involve our kind. But Soomi wanted to see it and I wanted out of the woods for a bit so we went. It was funny.” Your eyes drifted downward, lost in the feelings that had emerged with the memory. 

“I felt… I felt like I was watching myself on that stage, almost. The main character was judged and ostracized because she was a little different, even amongst those who were supposed to be extraordinary and different as well.” You cleared your throat, turning back to the table and putting the figure down. “Sorry. Got a little deep there.”

“No, its okay,” Lottie said. “It’s how you felt. I’m sure it was nice to find a parallel like that.”

You nodded. “It was.”

“Sorry to cut this short, but Kyungsoo called. They’re coming to join us now,” Tao said. Sehun was frowning beside him and looking right at you. Apparently, he heard your tiny confession. 

“We can still wander around for a bit longer,” Lottie pointed out. “They’ll find us and we can go around again.”

“Come on, Lottie. I want to show you something.” Tao dragged his mate away towards another tent that seemed to be selling clothing items of some sort. 

“Is that what’s been bothering you?” Sehun asked in a low whisper as he stepped inside your bubble.

“We’ve already been over this,” you groaned. “I’m fine. I’m not feeling like the freak anymore. Especially not with you.” You nudged his arm playfully in hope that he’d loosen up. It didn’t work. 

“I want you to be happy.”

“I am.”

“It doesn’t feel like it.”

“That’s because you’re forgetting what’s bound to happen in a few days,” you hissed. “The blood moon is almost here. No one has been able to figure out what the hell is supposed to be coming and I haven’t had any more visions to clue us in. So, just lay off, okay?”

Sehun in his lips. Part of you wanted to stomp off and be a brat, but what good would that do? 

Even though it was kind of Sehun’s fault for pushing, you felt bad for snapping. But his mind had been on a single track lately. You were still terrified at what awaited during the blood moon. And you hated not being prepared. You just wanted him to understand. If he understood, then you might be able to open up about your suspicions about Mina. But this exact argument was keeping you tight lipped. 

Sehun sighed, his shoulders slumping. “I’m sorry.”

“At least that one felt real,” you muttered. 

Sehun poked your forehead teasing, getting you look at him. “Can I tell you something?”

You nodded. “Sure.”

“I love you.”

You swallowed back a whimper. There was that word again. 

A pregnant silence grew between you two. Was he expecting you to say it back?

“Oh, Sehun! Hi!”

Of for the love of- 

Irritated, you whirled toward the newest interruption, this time in the form of a bubbly, bouncing blonde named Mina. She was dressed to the nines, clothing absolutely inappropriate for walking around on the concrete for a long period of time. Soon she’d be complaining about her feet hurting in her over-the-knee boots and you’d be damned if she was going to beg Sehun to carry her on his back. 

Dana scrunched her face apologetically next to her friend. “Sorry we’re late. Again.”

Mina waved off the apology as if it was meant for her. “It’s not a big deal.”

“You kind of have a bad habit of that, don’t you?” You raised an eyebrow, waiting for an answer. 

Mina shrugged it off, deciding that your argument wasn’t worth her time. “How much have you guys looked at already?”

“Not much,” Sehun replied. 

“Good! We can walk around for a bit. I really love cute, homemade things!” Mina started towards Sehun, her hand stretched out like she was going to grab ahold of his arm. 

Oh, no you don’t. 

The thought had barely manifested in your mind before a piece of the asphalt split and lifted in time to trip up Mina. She stumbled, barely being caught by Dana in time. Kyungsoo flickered his gaze in your direction, pressing his lips together to hold back a laugh. Sehun, however, did not find the humor in the situation. Whatever. 

Claiming your territory, you stepped in between Mina and Sehun, taking the latter’s hand. “Yeah, let’s go see what else is on display. I think I heard a band playing earlier.”

Mina caught the implication of the contact. “Oh. Are you two… together?”

“Yes,” you said matter-of-factly. 

“Interesting.” The corners of her lips turned up. “Duly noted.”

“What’s it to you?” you challenged. 

“(y/n)….” Sehun warned behind you. 

“It’s just good information to have,” Mina replied. She even batted her eyes innocently. Or maybe you made it up. Either way, you could feel your insides boiling. 

“Why?”

“That’s enough.” Sehun dragged you away from the group, around the tents to a more private area. 

Over your shoulder, you caught an amused look on Mina’s face. She didn’t find it as funny when the wind suddenly picked up, covering her face in her hair and messing up her hard work. 

Letting go of your hand when you were out of sight of other people, Sehun sprung on you. “What the hell was that?”

You set your jaw defiantly. “What was what?”

“You were absolutely fine before Mina showed up. Okay, I get it, she’s a flirt, but I’ve never seen you treat someone like that. It’s not you.” The look of disappointment on Sehun’s hurt worse than any scolding or lecture from Mother Willow or Soomi. “You’ve never used your powers to deliberately hurt someone.”

“She wasn’t actually hurt,” you mumbled, unable to meet his eye. 

Sehun whipped his head back and forth, deepening the cut. You hated hearing him talk like he knew every facet of who you were. He didn’t know everything. He had known you for a month, give or take, not years. You weren’t see-through, a book so easily read that a toddler could make out the words that described who you were. 

“You know what? Fine,” you snapped. “You want to know what’s been bothering me? And why I just did that? The reason’s the same. I don’t trust Mina.”

Instead maybe looking relieved at finally understanding or something to that effect, Sehun looked… disgusted. “You don’t trust her? What for? You hardly know her.”

You scoffed. “I know, but listen. Remember my visions? The woman who’s been with me in the woods?”

“You never saw her face,” Sehun argued. 

“Not her face,” you agreed. “But I’ve seen her hair. Her blonde hair. And her hand. It was pale. Like Mina. And after all this time, she just randomly decides to come visit for several weeks, right around the blood moon?”

“That doesn’t mean it is Mina. She’s Dana’s friend. Why would she be a danger to the pack?”

You threw your hands in the air, frustrated that he wasn’t giving your theory even the slightest chance. “Who knows anyone’s motivation these days? And from what Kyungsoo said, they haven’t been as close the past few years. Maybe she thinks Dana is being held against her will. Maybe some other wolf rejected her for his mate and now she hates all wolves. Maybe she’s just psycho! Who knows!”

“But you don’t know its her!” Sehun shouted. 

“Which is why I’d rather be safe than sorry!” you said even louder. 

Covering his face with his hands, Sehun growled, “I will never understand what the others mean by jealousy being cute.”

“This isn’t jealousy!” you screamed with all the power of your lungs. “I’m trying to keep everyone safe! No one else has seen what I’ve seen! I don’t want you to get hurt when I could have stopped it!”

“And what if you’re wrong?”

You couldn’t believe what you were hearing. He didn’t trust you. He didn’t believe you. He wasn’t even giving you a chance, chalking it up to some stupid misguided feeling of jealousy rahter than considering what you’d seen in your visions. What good was it to have a mate if he didn’t listen.

The gravel under your shoes crunched as you whirled on the balls of your feet. You weren’t sure what direction the woods were in this deep into town so you just started off in any direction.

“(y/n), where are you going?” Sehun called out after you. 

“To the farmhouse!” You refused to call it home. Once again, you didn’t have one. 

Behind you, a huff and the quick steps of a stupid wolf before he blocked your path reached your ears. “It’s not that way. If you want to go home, I’ll take you.”

Staying silent, you waved for him to lead you in the right direction. At least you wouldn’t have to walk the whole way. 

The entire time you kept several feet in between you, mostly to keep him from reaching out to take your hand, but also to keep yourself from kicking him. Which was getting more and more tempting as you thought about it. Once you were in the car and traveling down the road, you closed your eyes to block everything out. Forehead against the glass, you tried to fight back the tears. 

He didn’t believe you. The one person in the world who was supposed to always be on your side and he didn’t believe you. 

It almost too good to be true, the sense of belonging, the feeling of acceptance. It was an illusion, brought upon by fate and hormones that pulled him towards you. It wasn’t enough. It had never been enough. Suddenly, the three words he’d said to you felt empty. And you felt lost. So completely lost.