the landing

Heads or Tails
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahyun sat on her own at a small corner table, just by the entrance, inside Jeongyeon's parents' cafe. She had accompanied Mina so that she could talk to Jeongyeon who had been working that night. 

 

They'd arrived just as the store closed so that no patrons would have needed to be attended to. Jeongyeon let them in and proceeded to close the cafe, leaving only one light on-- the one above the register.

 

Though she was happy that both of her friends were able to work through their feelings, it felt a little awkward for Dahyun to be there, like she was some child waiting for adults to finish their conversations. That was why she decided to sit as far from them as possible and busied herself with her own thoughts, leaning on the glass of the storefront. 

 

She had yet to figure out how she was going to move forward. Everything seemed a little hazy. She was honestly quite terrified to face the consequences of her running away from home. Knowing her father, he would probably never allow her to leave the house again except to go to class.

 

And going to class meant seeing someone she also didn't know how to face. It was inevitable that Dahyun would see Sana again. She just didn't know where to begin. Would an apology even be welcomed? What was she going to apologize for? Dahyun had many unanswered questions. All of them about Sana. 

 

As she was contemplating a plan to move forward, a loud knock on the glass interrupted her. 

 

Dahyun rolled her eyes. The sign clearly stated that the cafe had been closed. It didn't matter if there were people inside, they were not accepting customers. 

 

"Cafe's closed!" she yelled, not bothering to turn around.

 

Mina and Jeongyeon looked at each other and then looked at Dahyun and laughed to themselves.

 

But the knocking persisted. 

 

With a disgruntled sigh, Dahyun turned around. But what she found-- or rather, who she found-- took her by surprise. 

 

She stopped breathing for a second. Maybe longer. 

 

Sana stood on the opposite side of the storefront window. She had tears in her eyes as she kept her palm against the glass. Jeongyeon then tossed Dahyun the keys to unlock the door. Once the door was unlocked, Dahyun immediately ran outside. 

 

To her surprise, her father was standing behind Sana, a few feet away. She didn't know how to feel. 

 

"What is he doing here?" Dahyun asked with a bit of bitterness and bite. 

 

Sana stepped aside, urging her father to come forward. "He told me everything, Dahyun. And he has something to say, but of course, it's your choice if you want to hear him out."

 

Dahyun nodded her head, hesitant to expect anything out of the ordinary. 

 

He immediately came forward and enveloped her in a tight embrace. Dahyun, still scarred from everything that he'd done, didn't reciprocate and stood still. 

 

He released her and cleared his throat, preparing to speak. "I'm sorry, Dahyun. I've made a lot of mistakes in life, but none I've regretted quite as much as almost losing you."

 

In all twenty-one years of her life, not once did Dahyun recall her father apologizing for anything or admitting his mistakes. But here he was willingly doing so.

 

"I was wrong to judge Sana without even knowing her. I was wrong for trying to control who you loved and how you lived," he continued, "I know it's a lot to ask, and I won't blame you if that's not an option."

 

Dahyun’s father reached out to hold her hand. She let him.

 

"I just hope you know that fro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter