Maybe love, Maybe friendship

And the summer will go on
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a summer in 1986, when kids still rode their bikes selling homemade fruit popsicles and backyard rubber swimming pools were still a big hit for a heat release. Isolated from the noisy crowds and on-going business, Mingyu and Wonwoo enjoyed a rather quiet summer in the old men’s neighborhood. It wasn’t as boring as what they thought three years ago, it’s rather… free. They had the entire street to themselves, morning roller-skating sessions to sell newspapers then go after for a traditional breakfast, afternoon will either be trying some crazy new ideas or just chilling with cold snacks and a good book.

 

But this summer wasn’t the same.

 

Thought to start off a good morning by knocking over the doors of the entire neighborhood (they didn’t mind it, they were quite glad for an early shake), they’ve never expected a door to be opened, revealing a boy dressed in a yellow oversized shirt. He looked Korean, like them, yet his skin was bright contrasted to his dark eyes. The puffiness from yesterday’s sleep still lingered on his face, his eyes narrowing trying to get used to the early sun that has already risen to the upper hill far behind. A pouty lips made its way, his entire shoulders slacked down noticeably.

 

“Sorry for waking you up in the morning.” Mingyu mumbled. He felt bad. He’s definitely a city boy like him and his boyfriend, yet he seemed to get pulled out of bed because of their fun games. Wonwoo looked at him sincerely.

 

The yellow boy, or cat-boy (Wonwoo later corrected after he was gone), pulled out a big yawn, stretching his arms over his head, his shorts slightly moved up with the body stretch. And lord, Mingyu and Wonwoo literally saw the treasure of the human body. His long, smooth legs were smoothed by the thin layer of sunlight, his small hip was slowly visible through the soft material. An angel, Mingyu would prefer.

 

“Hey it’s okay. I’m new here, so I don’t know anything, but you two seem fun.” The boy said quietly while looking down at the empty concrete street. Empty with only three of them. But on the other hand, Mingyu and Wonwoo were mesmerized by his angelic voice. 

 

“Sorry still. We didn’t know that.” Mingyu replied again. The boy shook his head, telling them that there was nothing to feel bad about.

 

A few short conversations were enough to pull him out of the morning haziness, his eyes were now less sensitive to the sunlight.

“Since I’m new here, is it possible… for you two to guide me around. I live here with my grandparents so I don’t think they can bring me around that much.”

 

Mingyu and Wonwoo nodded immediately. They had the entire place to themselves and they wanted the newly moved-in boy to know and experience. Summer was just beginning, and there was so much to do.

 

“Excuse me, but may we know your name?” “Oh sure! I’m Joshua, but my real name is Hong Jisoo. Kinda girly right?” Jisoo laughed nervously.  

“No, it suits someone as beautiful as you.” Wonwoo replied, resulting in a hue pinklish color spread across the new boy’s cheeks. You literally just flirted with him, Mingyu whispered to his boyfriend, earning a smack on the taller’s shoulder.

 

“Anyway, we’re going to have our breakfast soon, do you want to join?”

“Don't your parents prepare them for you?”

 

Mingyu and Wonwoo shook their heads. The summer house was rented by their parents since they first knew each other, and it became some sort of bonding memory for them since then. When Mingyu and Wonwoo were just toddlers, their parents would stay in this place for summer vacation. But as they grew up and reached highschool, this house was fully given to them, they had full access and rights over what now became their “love” home. 

 

“We’re going out for breakfast in a small cafe near the convenience store. The old lady is very friendly, she makes amazing breakfasts.”

 

Jisoo smiled warmly, the pearly white teeth lining perfectly made both of them dazed. They are truly falling for the boy they’ve just met. An hour ago.

 

“Well I have to prepare breakfast for my grandparents first, I hope you don’t mind waiting.” Jisoo scratched the back of his head.

“We still have to run a few errands and take our bicycles too. It’s a bit far by foot so I think it will take quite a while. But take your time, your grandparents need some good care too.” Wonwoo quickly replied, slowly fixing their roller skates.

 

“Thanks a lot, I’ll see you then… Umn, may I know both of your names?” 

“I’m Jeon Wonwoo.” “And I’m Kim Mingyu, it’s lovely to know you.”

 

Jisoo quickly bowed down before hurriedly getting inside their house. Quite a long time after the door was closed, Mingyu and Wonwoo finally got back to their senses and looked at each other. They both let out a breath they didn’t know how long they’ve been holding, before quickly skated away. Their routine was delayed, but they didn’t mind. A bigger opportunity was traded for those lost time.

This summer was going to be more special than ever.

 

And boy it was.

 

********

They got their bikes out, and changed into cooler clothes as they knew the heat going to rise soon. Biking down the empty streets at 8AM, the lovely boy was already walking out to greet them, his cute yellow shirt was still on.

 

“Are the streets always empty like this?” Jisoo asked, and Mingyu had to look away when Jisoo tilted his head cutely. Wonwoo sighed at his overacted boyfriend, but the effect Jisoo had on them is truly fatal. 

 

“Yes, because this area is quite far from the main city centers, plus most of the neighbors are old people, so they don’t have much of a reason to go out. But they do hold sports activities and gardening in the afternoon, if you are interested.”

 

“I have the whole summer in this place, so I will try soon.” Jisoo said. Suddenly, he caught something and started fidgeting nervously.

 

“Anything wrong, Shua?” Mingyu spoke up.

 

“You guys said that the cafe is a bit far by foot, and I don’t have a bike so…” he trailed off. Yet without a word, Mingyu patted on his backseat, indicating Jisoo to sit on.

 

“Mingyu, you’re not fair. I want to carry him too.” Wonwoo pouted, but his lips then turned into a wide smile with giggles as Mingyu reached over to kiss his cheeks. Jisoo looked at the once cold eyes now turned into beautiful crescents under the purple shade sunglasses. He’s a total different dork than what he saw a few hours ago.

 

“You’ll get to when we go home hyung? Deal?” Wonwoo just hummed as an answer.

 

The three started back on their trips, biking down the still empty streets with very few people passing by. Jisoo thought that they must have been living here as they seemed to know every single person, from an old man carrying a bouquet with sunflowers named Simon to a lady walking what seemed like almost 20 dogs of all breeds. ‘That lady is obsessed with dogs, she even has a pet store in the main city’, Mingyu said. The blue pastel sky painted a beautiful morning, with typical white clouds and calm yellow sunlight pouring through the gap between the dark leaves. Flowers were blooming to fruits as well, with apple blossom petals already falling to the street, or the smell of newborn citruses still mingle in the air.

 

It’s a lovely summer day, like a song he heard from the Beatles, or whatever that band is.

 

“It’s so calm and quiet here, why haven’t I gone here sooner?” Jisoo asked, referring more to himself than the other boys. It’s hard to find such peace in Los Angeles, as the place was always crowded with business men in huge casinos and nightclubs that are constantly blaring out music and neon lights until 1AM. His parents didn’t allow him to go out far from the main city either, unless there was parental guidance from another family. He once got to camp outside of the city, and it was a true moment that he would never forget. For the first time in his life, he saw a constellation, while sitting around the weak light from the campfire and s’mores were all eaten up. ‘The Big Dipper’, one of his friends said.

 

“Telling you, we can go stargazing at 9PM if the sky is clear. Far over there on the hills. Some people used to host public movie nights out here, but the old people have the authorities over those hills so those youngsters got shooed off.” Mingyu giggled. He once joined one of those outdoor cinemas and almost got kicked out by his own neighbors. Bad experiences.

 

The bikes finally stopped at a small convenience store. The old wall with plank wood shelves holding jars of homemade fruit jams to herbs plant pots to all kinds of snacks and candy stored in clear crystal fishbowls. The chim rang a cheerful sound as they entered, a small Corgi came out and greeted them by the doormat.

 

“His name is Ch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter