Unreachable

Unreachable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sana was dead. She couldn't remember how she'd died or how much time had passed since she passed, but at least she knew her own name. Minatozaki Sana. Dead.

 

Now, a person who's alive would probably wonder if she'd felt anxious or afraid when she found out that she was no more than a ghost, but truth be told Sana couldn't feel anything. She just was. And no one told her she was dead, she just knew it. She just accepted it.

 

She just "woke up" one day in a room with a complete stranger, knowing and accepting the fact that she was dead. The stranger didn't know Sana was there. The stranger didn't know who Sana was. And the stranger definitely didn't know that Sana was watching her sleep.

 

In fact, ever since Sana had "woken up" all she ever did was watch this stranger. Not because she wanted to-- at least not at first-- but because she was stuck in this girl's house with no way out.

 

But this girl…

 

She was alive and breathing.

But she lived like she was dead.

No friends. No name. No nothing.

 

Sana didn't know who she was and had no way of finding out.

 

Every night this stranger would come home to an empty barely decorated house, play the piano for a bit, cry for a really long time, and then go to sleep. Some nights the stranger would feed herself, but most of the time, she went to bed without eating.

 

Every night, without fail, the phone would ring and the stranger would ignore it. She did have an answering machine but because it was full, it couldn't take any more messages. So the new ones would immediately get deleted.

 

This girl was alive, but she either didn't know how to live or she didn't want to. But she didn't want to die either. That much was clear to Sana. This girl probably had people who cared about her, but she did her best to push them away. It was sad.

 

Sana couldn't really feel emotion like she used to when she was alive, but for some reason she felt this girl's pain. And more than anything, she wanted to get rid of that pain. She wanted it to stop. Because after having watched over this stranger for so long, Sana developed feelings for the girl.

 

It wasn't out of pity. No, definitely not. The girl was sad almost all of the time, that much was true. But in that sadness, Sana saw a longing to be happy. Not in her waking moments, but when she slept and Sana would watch her.

 

Maybe it was a good dream. But whatever the case, Sana saw the girl smile for the first time ever and she fell in love. Sana wished for the girl to stay like that forever, but she knew it wouldn't be the case.

 

She didn't think it was possible. She was dead. But she was in love with someone who was very much alive. 

It was almost cruel, really. To love someone you couldn't ever be with.

 

It was physically impossible. And because Sana was stuck there, she was reminded of the fact that she could never actually be with her love.

 

Sana did remember what love felt like, or at least she remembered what she thought it ought to feel like. Love was a feeling that filled you with so much warmth and, for the most part, happiness. She wanted that for the girl. 

 

But she didn't know how she could possibly help. 

Not until one fateful day when someone new knocked on the door.

 

"Dahyun?" called out the visitor. 

 

Was that the girl's name? Dahyun...it suited her. 

 

"I know you're in there." 

 

Dahyun didn't even flinch. She continued ignoring whoever was at the door. 

 

"You can't keep doing this forever. Please let me in."

 

Who was this person? A lover? A friend? Clearly they cared about Dahyun, but why didn't she want to open the door?

 

Sana watched Dahyun continue reading her book instead of getting up. 

 

"I'm doing this for your own good," Sana announced, as she approached the door. Not that Dahyun could hear her or anything.

 

Sana knew she didn't have a physical form that could move physical objects, but imagined herself feeling the cold metal of the lock on the door and turning it. With all her strength, she was actually able to feel the brass and turn it until she heard a click. 

 

She'd unlocked the door. It was a miracle.

 

Everything that followed happened in a blur. She heard someone enter. 

 

"Nayeon? How did you get in here?"

 

Then Sana started to feel cold and before she knew it, she out.

 

 

The next time she came to, she didn't know how long it had been. But one thing was for sure, she was still stuck in Dahyun's house.

 

But Dahyun…

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter