The One

Red String
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Cho Kyuhyun is 32 years old, managing his father’s education institutions, and a successful professor himself. His colleagues and students all look up to him as someone who has a perfect life – wealth, success, looks, and talent. Kyuhyun is a cheerful person who brings smile and laughter to people around him. But deep inside, he’s not really happy with his life. He knows that there is something missing – something that’s more important than everything that he currently has.

He’s a hopeless romantic, often watching romance movies and listening to heartrending ballads. But ironically, he never really had luck in all his past relationships. His mother always tells him not to worry, and that he will one day meet the love of his life, the one who he’s destined to be with, and that he’ll know once he meets that person.

Ever since he was little, he has believed in the concept of the red string of fate, being the romantic that he is. His mom told him that he will feel a tug in his little finger and a stronger tug in his heart when he finally meets that person – the one. However, he had felt that tug in his little finger a few times already, but never that strong tug in his heart. It makes him worried that there may be something wrong with his string. Is he not connected with someone that tugs at his heart?

Today is one of those days again. He felt a tug on his little finger, and he looks around everywhere around him, hoping to find his soulmate. He is on a pedestrian crossing and there are a lot of people around. How, in this sea of people, can he see his destiny? He continued to search his gaze, hoping to feel something in his heart. But…nothing happened. Disappointed, he continued walking. He reached the restaurant he was supposed to meet his family for dinner. His older sister is getting married and they will be discussing some of the finer points of the wedding details with her fiancée. This makes his mood even more somber. He’s happy for his sister, very much, but he can’t help but feel jealous whenever he sees her with her boyfriend (now fiancée) looking at each other with so much love.

 

“Ya, Kyuhyun. You’re spacing out again.” Ara, his sister said.

“Sorry, what were you saying?” Kyuhyun answered, coming back to his senses.

“I asked you for a list of the songs you’re okay to sing so I can choose which one I’d like you to sing in the reception.”

“In the reception? Won’t I be singing in the ceremony?”

“No, brother. Someone else will be singing in the ceremony.”

“But why??” Kyuhyun whined.

His family laughed at that. He’s 32 but still acts like a kid sometimes.

“I have a junior whose voice is very, very beautiful.”

“More beautiful than my voice?” Kyuhyun pouted.

Ara chuckled and punched him playfully. “I rank you both as my two favorite singers. I just think his voice is more suited for the ceremony.”

“Alright then. I’ll message you the songs I’ll think of later.” Kyuhyun said, still sulking.

 

 

--- Three months later ---

 

It’s the day of the wedding and Kyuhyun is running late. He drank while playing games last night, lonely as usual, and he ended up waking up late.

“Crap, Ara’s going to kill me.” He cursed under his breath while running in his suit towards the church entrance. He feels a tug in his little finger and mindlessly arranged his cuff links, assuming a thread from his clothes has gone astray. The ceremony was about to start, and he ran along the side aisle to sit in the first row beside his family, with his father eyeing him disappointedly.

“Sorry.” He mouthed to his parents. His mother shushed him as the piano began to play and Ara started walking down the aisle. He craned his neck to his left as he looked at his sister and can’t help but smile as he sees his sister smiling brightly.

And then….

Kyuhyun heard the most beautiful voice he has ever heard in his life. It was so clear, so bright and sweet, almost ethereal. He turned his head to where the owner of that voice is, on the next row to his right, just a few feet away from him. He saw a man singing with his eyes closed, passionate and smiling. Kyuhyun forgot where he was or why he was there as he watched and listened to that man singing. And when the man opened his eyes, Kyuhyun’s breath hitched. Their eyes met and at that moment, he saw his future with this person.

The song ended and the man seated himself. The pastor started to talk and he was forced to turn away from the man.

He touched his mother’s hand and squeezed it. She looked at him questioningly.

“You were right, mom.”

“I always am. But what about?”

“You told me I will definitely know it when I meet the one.”

His father looked at the both of them disapprovingly, quieting them with his stern gaze.

“Later, son.” His mother whispered with a smile.

Kyuhyun tried to concentrate in the ceremony but his mind kept going back to that man and he badly wants to look at him again. He tried to resist but failed several times, finding himself looking at the next row, and catching the man looking back at him too.

The ceremony ended and everyone was bustling to go to the reception venue. He was pulled to the front to take some pictures but he was so distracted because he’s lost sight of the beautiful man, wondering where he is. He doesn’t even know his name yet. He has to find him!

“What the heck Kyu, you’re late and now you’re so distracted.” Ara scolded him s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter