001

Blue Skies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
1 Cigarettes and tattoos    

Kyungsoo’s already freaking out by the time the boat is docking, the male has to hurry off if he’s going to make it to the restaurant in order to get some dinner. The said island where his parents' holiday house is located doesn’t have many other options at nine pm and Kyungsoo heaves a sigh because it’s half an hour until the restaurant closes and he has to drop off his luggage—it’s too heavy to drag along more than necessary—at the house.
 

Cursing under his breath, it was his younger sister’s fault he missed the previous boat which now meant he was scurrying off like some criminal running from the law. The warm weather accompanying him would’ve been nice any other day, but not now, not when he was carrying around two heavy bags that only made his clothes stick to his skin. Two bags that were filled with everything needed for a month's vacation. It would be a nice change from the bustling life in the city and Kyungsoo was looking forward to lazy days without anything planned.
 

His parents and younger sister would show in two days time, a result of his parents needing to fix some last minute things at the office and his sister’s bickering. The latter didn’t want to come, said she wanted to stay the summer in the city along with her friends. Something their parents refused to of course, which now meant Kyungsoo was bestowed with the task of getting the house in order, to make sure all necessities were working, and to clean any dust and set up the bedrooms so the rest of his family wouldn’t have to. In other words. The responsibility lay heavy on him and he knew it was a valuable lesson since he would be off to university in the fall.
 

Right now however, Kyungsoo only saw the added pressure as something that made his life difficult for him as he was currently panting, his lungs burning from the combined heat and heavy luggage and it’s not made easier when the sunrays blinds him and has his body colliding with someone else. He’s quick to apologize even though he can’t make out the face of the other person, he doesn’t even stick around to hear if the other complains because Kyungsoo knows he’s going to have to starve if he isn’t by the restaurant soon.
 

There’s a gravel road he has to take a couple of hundred meters before making a right turn onto a grassy path that takes him up a small hill before he’s finally by the house. It’s a red, late 19th hundred wooden house with white trim his great grandparents bought and that’s been in the family for over eighty years. It’s a beautiful house, at least Kyungsoo thinks so. The colours blend well with the nature and surrounding buildings and Kyungsoo smiles when he unlocks the door and steps inside.
 

The scent of old wood and paint fill his nostrils and he heaves a breath as he lets the bags drop from his shoulders, they land with a thud on the floorboards just as his eyes fall on his wristwatch. It’s only twenty minutes left now and Kyungsoo pats his hands against the pockets of his jacket only to be met with nothing. His wallet isn’t there so he’s freaking out, his hands clammy as he dives forward and begins to shift through his belongings. He knows this isn’t good. He can’t waste anymore time now and it takes him every ounce of self-control to not flip because this was not a part of the equation.
 

“.”
 

The word slip from his lips on instinct. His parents wouldn’t be too appreciative of the foul language, they couldn’t see the appeal in using such vocabulary and saw it as uncultured and vile. But they weren’t there so he continued, the words flowing from his mouth as he searched for his wallet, the clock ticking on and on until finally, when the clock struck ten to nine and when he’d spent ten minutes going through his stuff, did he locate it in the pocket of his shorts.
 

He ran out the door, almost forgetting to lock it in the process before sprinting down the hill, past the grassy path and onto the gravel that took him by the only grocery store on the island. It’s a smaller size store that has the regular necessities. Nothing fancy or anything. But enough to satisfy daily life. And it’s a store he’s going to have to stop by the following day to stock up.
 

But that’s tomorrow’s obstacle because Kyungsoo is currently going against every sensible thing, he’s literally sprinting down the road and that even though he hates running. But he loves food and he’s pushing himself to a max all for a good meal. Pathetic one might think, but Kyungsoo doesn’t think so because food is perhaps his biggest enjoyment in life. It’s also a luxury, especially when his parents take him and his sister out to the most well-known and expensive restaurants in the city. Nothing beats a well put together meal and he his lips, his mouth watering at the thought of sinking his teeth into a juicy steak with hasselback potatoes and red wine sauce.
 

He can finally see it in the distance, the restaurant that would fulfill his need and satisfy his empty stomach, and Kyungsoo wills his legs to continue despite that his thighs are screaming at him to stop. They’re burning at the strenuous workout and the heat has sweat dripping down his back and along his hairline. It’s disgusting but he tries to push the imagery of his sweaty self out of his head, his body working on full effect as his feet drum against the gravel.
 

“Oh, hi Kyungsoo. I see you finally managed to get your out here.” The familiar voice has him stopping in his tracks, his head turning in the direction of the sound only to catch sight of Sehun with a lit cigarette stuck between his lips. The sight of his friend with a cancer stick in his mouth causes him to frown. It’s such a bad habit but Sehun’s an adult so he remains quiet knowing that the last thing the other would want is a lecture about how bad smoking is.
 

“I missed the earlier boat because my sister was throwing a fit. So yeah. But I’m here now and I’m starving.” He explains in a hurry whilst trying to recall his breath, his heart pounding in his chest as he spares a quick glance at his wristwatch. It’s less than ten minutes until the kitchen closes now and Kyungsoo looks over at Sehun with an apologetic expression, “Can we talk later?”
 

He’s already turning to head towards the entrance of the restaurant when Sehun once again stops him in his tracks, “The new head chef just arrived so the kitchen closed earlier so we could greet him.”
 

Kyungsoo is all too suddenly annoyed with his younger sister. Had it not been for her he would’ve arrived six hours earlier and wouldn’t have to go to bed on an empty stomach. He doesn’t voice his irritation though, there’s literally no meaning since his sister isn’t around to hear him.
 

Instead he opts for a groan, “Great. So effing great.” The last time he ate something was at lunch and he could almost hear his stomach protest against the negligence.
 

His self pity doesn’t last very long for the other male interrupts, his voice slightly muffled by the cigarette, “Let me go get my things and we can head over to my place, yeah?” Kyungsoo is quick to nod his head, anything food related was a positive sign and although Sehun’s cooking wasn’t topnotch, at least according to Kyungsoo’s past experiences. He immediately shudders at the memories of failed attempts at making meatballs, of burnt potatoes and ruined pots. But things could’ve changed now. Especially since his friend now works at the restaurant in front of him.
 

A harsh job undoubtedly, but Kyungsoo knows Sehun well enough to know that it’s okay, that it’s all worth the wear and tear since his biggest goal in life is to become a great chef. A dream he knows Sehun has had to defend from friends and family who thinks and wishes he would aim higher. Kyungsoo understands the feeling all too well. His parents are exactly the same, they pressure and expect certain achievements from him. Achievements that are too over the top sometimes.
 

Maybe that’s why he’s extra happy for his friend for standing his ground.
 

Kyungsoo watches as Sehun drops the cigarette to the ground, the heel of his shoe descending upon the burning object before he bends to pick it up. Their eyes meet as soon as Sehun straightens up, a smile on his lips when he speaks, “I’ll be quick so don’t go wander off.” The laughter that follows is all Kyungsoo needs and he flips the bird at his friend, “It was one time you and I’m pretty sure it was you and Chanyeol who left me behind.” He growls in annoyance although his lips curl upwards till he’s sporting a similar smile, his eyes trained on Sehun who’s heading back inside to collect whatever it was that he needed.
 

The sound level around him decreases drastically the second the door shuts behind Sehun. Kyungsoo is no longer panting either, so he’s all of a sudden aware of the sounds of crickets, of music playing in the distance, of the —.
 

His thoughts are interrupted by another kind of sound, one that is much closer and his eyes drift up until they settle on the now wide open window on the floor just above the restaurant.
 

Kyungsoo can see the faint red flickering light of a lit cigarette and immediately scowl at the other male who’s got his elbow resting on the windowsill, chin propped up by his hand whilst he smokes. Kyungsoo’s gaze drifts further as he takes in the sight of the smoking male. He can see the dark lines on the other’s skin, how the tanktop the male is wearing gives him a good view of the tattoos as they slither up both arms from the wrist all the way up to the shoulders. It’s impossible to make out any details but it’s still intriguing.
 

There’s something else, something he can’t pinpoint but that further heightens Kyungsoo’s interest as well. Maybe it’s the aura that seems to just ooze from the other male. It’s like a subtle arrogance almost, and it’s something that has him unable to look away even though it’s the reasonable thing to do. Instead he drinks in the other’s appearance and how the sunkissed skin shimmers in the sunrays.
 

He can’t remember ever seeing the unknown man before, and it takes him an awkward second or two to realize that it might be the new head chef Sehun was talking about.
 

Thinking about Sehun has him wondering what was taking so long. Didn’t his friend say he would be quick, that he only needed to grab his belongings and that was all. His attention drifts from the smoking male down to the window that gives him a good look into the kitchen. He can see Sehun in there and how he’s completely engrossed in a conversation with Chanyeol who’s laughing. It’s a scene he shouldn’t be envious of, but he can’t help but be a little jealous of their close friendship even though Kyungsoo is friends with both of them. But Chanyeol and Sehun grew up together and in difference to Kyungsoo who’s only there during the summer, the two of them have lived their entire lives on the island.
 

“It’s you.”
 

The sudden voice has Kyungsoo reeling back a step in surprise, his gaze looking towards the source of the sound only to be met with the piercing eyes of the smoking male. Only thing is, he isn’t smoking anymore but rather is looking directly at him with such an intense stare it causes a shiver to run down his spine. It’s nerve-wracking to be the center of attention from someone he doesn’t know so he’s praying for Sehun to hurry the up because his pulse is increasing again.
 

The scrutinizing look the other is giving him has his gaze flickering between the surroundings, to Sehun who is still talking to Chanyeol, before it settles back on the male in the window. And it has him recalling the words that caught his attention in the first place.
 

‘It’s you’.
 

What did he mean by that? Kyungsoo is more than a hundred percent sure he’s never before seen the man, which opts him to think it’s a misunderstanding of some sort. Luckily, Sehun disrupts his train of thoughts as he calls out for his attention, and it has Kyungsoo directing his gaze at his friend who’s advancing towards him with a smile. An expression that helps lessen his uneasiness and he pays no care of the male in the window as Sehun asks him if they could wait for Chanyeol. Apparently he wants to come as well and Kyungsoo is not one to say no. Not when he’s not seen either of them for almost a year.
 

And so they wait.
 

Sehun busies himself with another cigarette whilst Kyungsoo lets his gaze wander from his friend back to the restaurant, his intent clear as he ignores the stranger and his outburst. The place looks pretty much the same as the year before, the only difference might be the newly added paint and some new flowers. Otherwise it’s exactly as he remembers it. It’s not surprising since the place is over a hundred years old and has a charm few buildings on the island can match.
 

“How long did you say we had to wait?” He asks a couple of moments later when he thinks it’s taking a bit too long for Chanyeol to finish up. He really wants to get going so he could eat and maybe get back home before he’s so exhausted he won’t be able to do anything else but sleep.
 

Sehun is quick to reply, “Five minutes perhaps.”
 

Kyungsoo hums and returns to look at the surroundings. But as time passes he can’t help himself and as discreetly as he possibly could, he eyes the window above him. His breath hitches in his throat in an instance when he sees the unknown male still there and as a result he coughs, which in turn has Sehun wondering if he’s alright. His reaction is embarrassing to say the least and his cheeks burn all the whilst he tries to clear his head from the imagery of the other’s burning stare.
 

He is not given the chance to answer though, because someone else interrupts.
 

“Maybe you shouldn’t smoke around kids Sehun.”
 

Kyungsoo’s head snaps back to stare at the male leaning against the windowsill. There’s something wrong with the expression the other displays, almost as if he’s amused by the scene of Kyungsoo making a fool out of himself. A feat he isn’t pleased by. Not only was he called a kid but now he was being made fun of by some stranger who didn’t know him at all.
 

“Kid?” Sehun laughs and Kyungsoo can see how much his friend is enjoying the situation because he doubles over, hands on his knees as the cigarette in his mouth threatens to fall to the ground. The reaction has Kyungsoo frowning. He’s nineteen and definitely not a kid anymore, something he’s not late to point out as he barks, “I’m not a kid you .” He tries to sound annoyed but his voice falters at the end and instead of sounding upset, he only makes it worse.
 

Sehun doesn’t help either, the laughter from his friend continues even though he’s straightened up by now and is finishing off his cigarette. Kyungsoo can see tears on the other’s cheeks but remains quiet as he begs for Chanyeol to hurry the up so they could get out of there. He really doesn’t want to stay any longer than necessary, more so since he catches a quick glance of the smile the unknown male sends his way.
 

Finally. He can see Chanyeol slowly making his way over to the door through the window and Kyungsoo keeps all his focus on his taller friend. But just as the door is about to be pushed open, something else entirely catches his attention. It’s the stranger and what he says has Kyungsoo’s brain malfunctioning and his heart racing.
 

“Why do you look so cute then.”
 

There’s more laughter from Sehun’s side and it takes Kyungsoo everything in his power to not slap his friend over the head. He is beyond flustered by the words and his ever increasing pulse is making it difficult because he’s left speechless. The sudden ‘confession’—if one could call it that—is too straightforward and he isn’t sure whether to take it seriously or not. He guesses it’s all just some wicked way to make fun of him, to make him feel embarrassed. He thinks it might be a reaction to Kyungsoo calling him an .
 

“Who’s cute?” Chanyeol interrupts. Of course he’d have to hear it as well.
 

Sehun is quick to fill in, “Jongin thinks our little kiddo here is cute.”
 

Kyungsoo can’t believe his ears. It’s no use though since Chanyeol joins in on the laughter and now both his friends are having the time of their lives at his expense.
 

“I’m nineteen you s.” His voice doesn’t fail him this time around and Kyungsoo sends this Jongin guy a I’m-not-cute-and-I'm-definitely-not-a-kid look. But the response is far from what he expects because instead of being apologetic or saying sorry, the other male simply smiles and mouths the word cute at him.
 

That’s enough for Kyungsoo, “We’re leaving now.”
 

He’s more irritated than angry at his friends and their antics. He knows they mean no harm. Still. That can’t be said for Jongin or whatever the new so-called head chef’s name is. It’s not like he cares about the other male, though he’s not appreciative of the casualness from the other. They’re not friends.

 

 



 


Sehun’s family is not around when they get to his house. Overseas vacation was th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter