more than a lullaby

kismet.

!! I've posted this on my Twitter after their bdays this year !!

 

 

Yujin is busy watching another episode of the latest drama she just started the other day when she felt thirsty. She reached out for her tumbler on the bedside table but it was empty. She groaned in frustration and hastily paused the drama to get a drink.

 

 

 

It’s almost 1 in the morning already so the other members are all probably asleep. She was pouring out some water from the bottle to her tumbler when she heard soft screeches which made her stop moving. She blinked and took one heavy breath before she carefully placed the glass bottle on the sink. She kept quiet and observed the sound. It is soft, as if someone is being careful not to get caught from doing something that isn’t supposed to be done at this hour.

 

 

 

Yujin walked in her tiptoes and followed the sound. Right at that moment, Yujin heard a sound of a door opening. The corridor that’s facing the door entrance of their apartment is dark. While trying to peek, Yujin saw a shadow of a lean girl forming before her. Yujin took up the courage and reached for the light switch, although she didn't turn it on.

 

 

 

“WHO’S THERE?” Yujin screamed but in whisper, trying not to wake up the other members near her. That includes her Eunbi unnie of course.

 

 

 

“Uhm…” Yujin heard a voice murmuring but she cannot recognize it.

 

 

 

“Oh, for God’s sake tell me who’s in there!” Yujin screamed but in whisper, again. She was already determined to scream and wake up Eunbi just in case it’s an intruder or a robber, or worst a sasaeng or a murderer.

 

 

 

“Unnie…” A soft voice mumbled and Yujin froze for seconds before she identified who owns the voice. She furrowed her brows as she the light.

 

 

 

There, standing, wrapped in a cozy shirt, cardigan, and sweater paws, as well as having a loose hair with a black cap, jogging pants and slides, the only girl calling Yujin as “unnie”, the giant baby herself, Jang Wonyoung.

 

 

 

“Wonyoung…?” Yujin asked in disbelief. She ran her fingers through her hair out of frustration.

 

 

 

“What were you doing, Miss? Jang Wonyoung?” Yujin asked and she saw how Wonyoung’s face turned into a pleading emoji.

 

 

 

“Unnie…I can’t sleep.” Wonyoung whispered, though it also sounded like she’s about to cry.

 

 

 

Yujin heaved a big sigh.

 

 

 

“You can’t sleep…then why did I caught you about to go out? Instead of doing something recreational in your room? At 1 in the morning, not-so-little miss?” Yujin said in a mocking way.

 

 

 

“I was hungry too. I want to buy something..” Wonyoung reasoned out. Her fingers are doing things, she’s obviously nervous she got caught sneaking out. Her face screams that she’s worried.

 

 

 

“There’s a fridge for a reason, Wonyoung-ah.” Yujin snapped.

 

 

 

“We don’t have the food I want!” Wonyoung fired back, now looking angry. Her eyebrows meeting each other but the pouty sad lips is still very evident.

 

 

 

“Why are you such a b-” Yujin stopped before she finished her sentence when she saw how Wonyoung’s face started to get darker.

 

 

 

“What?!” Wonyoung yelled in a whisper, though it doesn’t sound like a whisper anymore. Yujin gulped.

 

 

 

“You’re such a…baby.” Yujin said and looked away. She’s supposed to say brat but she realized the younger girl might actually do something more stupid if she heard the unnie tell her something like that. Wonyoung just pouted, waiting for Yujin to say or do anything. Probably a verdict. Yujin is still the unnie anyway.

 

 

 

Yujin examined herself. She’s wearing a black shirt and jogging pants, barefooted. She gave Wonyoung one look before giving up and started to walk back to her room.

 

 

 

She stopped midway from walking and turned back to point her finger at Wonyoung. Making sure the bunny would not do something, Yujin half yelled, “Wait right there!” Wonyoung gave her a confused look but stayed where she is, standing for a minute or two, waiting for Yujin to come back.

 

 

 

Wonyoung saw Yujin walking back and the older girl is now wearing a gray hoodie and a slip-on shoes. She took Wonyoung’s hand out of impulse and carefully opened the door for them to get outside of the dorm.

 

 

 

“Where are we going? I thought you were mad.” Wonyoung said in her now normal voice when Yujin successfully closed the door without making a loud noise.

 

 

 

“Taking you out for you to eat, of course. And please, I’m not mad at you. You know I cannot get mad at you, Wonnie.” Yujin said and rolled her eyes.

 

 

 

“We’re going out?” Wonyoung whispered with eyes getting big out of surprise. The bunny heard “taking out” way too seriously. Her eyes sparkled and for a moment, Yujin swore she almost saw the stars in those big and round orbs.

 

 

 

“Isn’t it obvious?” Yujin said with a confused face.

 

 

 

“I mean….” Wonyoung slightly raised their hands holding each other and Yujin momentarily stopped functioning after a realization hit her.

 

 

 

“Oh. No. I mean, I’m going out with you. For, you know... I’m an unnie, right? I'm still awake and I saw the maknae who is hungry. At 1 in the morning. So...” Yujin gave out a nervous chuckle which made Wonyoung laugh as well.

 

 

 

“Okay.” Wonyoung simply replied, ignoring how obvious her unnie got nervous because of her. She giggled along with Yujin’s self-assuring nods but they never let go of each other. They held hands even after they finally reached the closest convenience store from their place.

 

 

 

They entered the store and Wonyoung immediately went to look for some strawberry milk. Yujin browsed the isles and took some snacks she think Wonyoung will like. After a few minutes, the two giants met at the counter. Yujin is holding some snacks and Wonyoung with her strawberry milk and kimbap and cheese ramen.

 

 

 

The two girls ate and were laughing with their eyes, talking about the most random moments in their daily lives as if they’re not the youngest ones in IZ*ONE who just sneaked out of their dorms. Some topics were from years ago, episodes from when they were still trainees. About the coincidences the encountered. Their birthdays. Their unnies. The funny moments of Yena and Chaewon whenever they bicker in their room. Laughing over Chaewon probably sneaking out when she feels like doing it just for Minjoo.

 

 

 

If Eunbi finds out now that they’re not in their respective rooms, hell might break loose. However, the maknaes didn’t mind at all. Their attention is at the present, enjoying each other’s company and their random stories in between soft smiles and hearty laughs.

 

 

 

In the middle of a funny episode, Wonyoung burped making Yujin laugh so hard that Wonyoung ended up laughing harder too. They were the only customers at that hour and the cashier has no idea if they should be grateful that the loud laugh and nutty chuckles are keeping them very much awake.

 

 

 

“I don’t think I could sleep right after we get back home, unnie.” Wonyoung said, keeping a smile on her face.

 

 

 

“Should I stay with you then?” Yujin said, making Wonyoung jumped on her seat out of excitement with the idea of her Yujin unnie staying in her room and just the two of them playing. Just like the old times, Wonyoung sneaking to head over to Yujin’s room during Produce 48 to spend time with her favorite unnie because she feels lonely. Then there's Yujin just letting her do it because she also miss the younger girl’s presence that keeps encouraging her to move forward. 

 

 

 

“Will you?” Wonyoung’s face obviously lit up and Yujin noticed that making her smile so bright.

 

 

 

“Of course. I don’t mind staying with you, Wonnie. You know that.” Yujin said with the sweetest voice which made Wonyoung say, “Yay!” in a tiny font.

 

 

 

When they finally left the store, Wonyoung saw Yujin put her hands on her hoodie’s pockets. She took the chance to cling her arms with her unnie and put her sweater paws in her pockets as well. Yujin looked at Wonyoung as she stopped on her tracks.

 

 

 

“Why?” Wonyoung asked and Yujin just shook her head then smiled afterwards.

 

 

 

“Nothing.” Yujin started walking again and Wonyoung leaned her head on Yujin even if it was uncomfortable and started giggling.

 

 

 

On their walk back to the dorms, Yujin hummed tunes. Trying to make it sound softer than the usual to make Wonyoung feel sleepy. Yujin doesn't say it, but while Wonyoung is busy leaning her head to her unnie and letting out random smiles in between steps, Yujin's heart felt full. She's glad she caught the maknae. She's glad she's here with her. She's happy to know she made Wonyoung smile again.

 

 

 

“Unnie, I really am not yet sleepy.” Wonyoung said as soon as they reached their dorm.

 

 

 

“Alright. Let’s just watch some movie then. How’s that?” Yujin suggested and Wonyoung nodded fast with her bright baby smile and infamous big round eyes.

 

 

 

They carefully opened the dorm’s door and peeked if anyone else was awake. When the two girls were sure that there are no other unnies awake, they quickly got inside as quiet as they could.

 

 

 

The two girls giggled as soon as they closed Wonyoung’s door. They’re thankful that no one caught them sneaking out and going back inside.

 

 

 

“Oh, right. I’ll just go and get my iPad. I’ll be quick.” Yujin said with a convincing tone and Wonyoung nodded while fixing her bed.

 

 

 

Sure enough, Yujin came back as soon as Wonyoung finished fixing her bed for them to lie down to. The two girls lied on their front hugging one pillow each. Yujin placed her iPad in front of them with the help of it’s casing, it was on a fixed and comfortable spot. They started to watch a movie, a Disney cartoon movie to be exact. Wonyoung took charge in choosing what to watch.

 

 

 

The two girls were quietly watching not until Wonyoung heard someone making soft snores beside her. Wonyoung turned to look at Yujin and smiled at the beautiful sight right in front of her. Yujin’s eyes are closed and she looks like an angel taking some rest for bringing too much kindness and energy in the world. Wonyoung tucked some strand of Yujin’s hair behind the older girl’s ear.

 

 

 

“Thank you, Yujin unnie.” Wonyoung whispered and smiled again.

 

 

 

She reached Yujin’s iPad, closed it then put it aside. The bunny was about to listen to Yujin’s song covers, saved on her phone that she used as her lullaby. However, Yujin moved a little while sleeping causing Wonyoung to give the older girl another look and attention.

 

 

 

“Right.” Wonyoung let out soft chuckles. She placed her phone on the side table with Yujin’s iPad then stared at Yujin’s face, the puppy’s forehead is exposed.

 

 

 

“Bangless Yujin.” Wonyoung thought before she finally leaned closer. She kissed Yujin’s forehead and said, “Good night unnie. I love you.”

 

 

 

Wonyoung fixed herself and laid beside Yujin before hugging the latter. She finally felt her eyes get heavy at Yujin’s warmth and soft breathing.

 

 

 

“Your songs are supposed to be the one making me fall asleep. But maybe, all I need is your presence. You are my human lullaby, Yujin.” Wonyoung whispered with a smile before finding herself drifting into a deep slumber.

 

 

 

Morning came and Minjoo went to wake up Yujin. She knocked several times but there’s no Yujin answering. Minjoo opened Yujin’s bedroom door and an empty bed greeted her. The softie unnie panicked and rushed towards Eunbi to tell her that Yujin is not inside the room.

 

 

 

“Hmm?” Eunbi looked up at Minjoo, she was scrolling on her phone.

 

 

 

“Yujin’s not in her room, unnie.” Minjoo repeated, panicking, and Eunbi finally understood what Minjoo was trying to say. The eldest unnie cooed Minjoo and gave her a small smile.

 

 

 

“She’s safe and sound sleeping and snuggling with Wonyoung.” Eunbi whispered.

 

 

 

“I got a text from Sakura at 2 am saying annyeongz are together. She probably heard them bickering while she was playing on her computer. Oh, and Chaeyeon just sent me a picture of them, the two kids.” Eunbi continued then showed the picure from her phone to Minjoo. The two youngest of IZ*ONE are comfortably snuggling each other. Yena and Chaewon who are sitting with Eunbi saw it too and they looked at one another. Two crackheads are excited to tease their baby Yujin when she finally wakes up and comes back.

 

 

 

“We can sneak out tonight, Min.” Chaewon whispered playfully. Minjoo blushed since she saw Yena’s face and it looks like she heard Chaewon too.

 

 

 

“Ya! Let me sneak out with Yuri first! You two can just stay at Minjoo’s room and watch some movies! Just, be alone together.” The duck argued but ended her statement with wiggling brows at Minjoo.

 

Chaewon just stuck her tongue out and Eunbi just laughed at her crackheads but cheesy and hopeless romantic kids.