where we belong to.

where we belong to.

Kim Sojung isn’t exactly sure when the idea to propose to Jung Eunbi first hit her. When she thinks about it in hindsight, she realizes that it was probably after something small, an initial thought that hit her in a quiet moment.

Like, Eunbi shifting her position from her place resting against Sojung’s chest to grin up at her when they curl up on their worn, but comfortable couch, suggesting what TV show or movie they should watch next. Or sleeping late Sunday mornings and making breakfast at noon—their laughter echoing through their tiny apartment as they sometimes spend more time making a mess in the kitchen than they actually do cooking. Or maybe even just the comfortable stillness when Sojung wakes up before her alarm some mornings and is able to watch Eunbi sleeping peacefully, a sight she’s grown very familiar with in their lifetime together yet still never tires of admiring, and smiles when Eunbi wakes up too, look of bleary sleepiness quickly replaced with one of contentment and love that is accompanied with an ethereal smile.

It could be any of these moments. It could be all of these moments that only kept building and building until Sojung realized a concrete vow of permanence with Eunbi is in reach and very much wanted, and ended up buying a ring from that jewelry store she passes every day on her way home from her medical school classes—the last stretch before she returns home after a long day.

(Home: stability, safety, permanence.)

She didn’t do anything with the small box with a very tiny, yet tangible promise of forever inside of it right away. Instead, she hid it until she found the right time to ask the question.

And, admittedly, maybe she’s a little nervous. Sojung knows Eunbi as well as she knows herself—if not better after many years together, side by side—but that very obvious fact doesn’t necessarily calm her nerves about asking Eunbi to marry her. That’s kind of a big deal… just a little bit.

(Yerin and Umji’s synchronized chorus of “Oooh married life,” when Sojung first tells them about her plan, followed by Yuna’s almost deadpan joke of “Wait, aren’t you already married? You sure act like it” and the younger Eunbi’s iconic laughter really does nothing to lessen Sojung’s nerves, yet simultaneously reaffirms her desire to finally ask after so many years together.)

Finally, after a while of planning, as if her life has led her to this moment, Sojung ends up taking Eunbi on a date one summer night they’re both completely free. The ring is in her pocket, she feels nervous but it’s a sort of calm nervousness—so it’s manageable—and Eunbi’s hand is clutched tightly in her own as they walk through the park together after getting dinner.

“Sojung, let’s stop for a minute.” Eunbi pulls her to sit down next to her on the grass.

They sit in silence for a few moments, fingers intertwined and shoulders brushing, as they look up at the night sky. It’s clear and the stars are bright, beautiful. Like Eunbi. She’s always been a star, and the burning brightness that accompanies her never leaves, is still almost blinding. Blinding, but Sojung never can pull her eyes away. Never wants to.

When Eunbi lays back on the grass, pointing up at some constellation that she’s probably told Sojung about a million times before (yet neither of them tire of the familiar routine, of the habit from childhood that has stuck with Eunbi for so many years), Sojung finally lets go of Eunbi’s hand. Her palm is a little clammy, so she wipes it on her pants before she turns to face Eunbi, fidgeting the slightest bit.

Eunbi looks as if she’s studying Sojung for a brief moment, a look of mild concern mixed with curiosity in her eyes. “Is everything okay?”

Sojung nods, trying not to make what she’s going to do obvious. As well as Eunbi can read her, as well as they can read each other, she still wants there to be some element of surprise to this. “Yeah, of course it is.”

She doesn’t push further by questioning, but it seems Eunbi knows something is up, or is at least curious about it, because she turns over onto her side, propping herself up on her elbow and looking at Sojung. Almost like she’s waiting. She rests her hand on Sojung’s hand, squeezing gently, and honestly, the touch is even further confirmation that this, that them is undeniably and indisputably perfect and right.

“Eunbi?”

“Yes?”

Sojung flips her hand over, entwines her fingers with Eunbi’s tiny hand. She doesn’t even care that her hand is sweaty because all she wants is this—the curl of their fingers and the pleasance and warmth that always accompanies the way their hands slot together like matching puzzle pieces.

There could be some big speech she makes. To reminisce and to promise even more memories. But they don’t need that. They’ve never needed to reiterate what they’ve always known: you and I, together, is all we need, is where we belong to.

“I love you.”

Eunbi smiles and squeezes Sojung’s hand tighter. “I love you too, Sojung.”

Even after years of hearing it, even though it’s a phrase that has been part of their vocabulary for so long, Sojung still feels the same flutter in her chest every time she says it, every time she hears an I love you in return. The same pounding of her heart and overwhelming happiness that accompanied the first time they said it—after graduation, when Eunbi had bounded over to Sojung in excitement and hugged her tightly, a happy “I love you,” slipping past her lips in the rush of the moment—is still there even now, just as strong, just as powerful in Sojung’s mind.

Without even really thinking about it anymore, just doing what is natural, she reaches into her pocket, fumbling a bit as she tries to grab the box with her free hand. Everything seems to move in slow motion for that brief yet defining moment. Eunbi’s eyes widen when she sees the box, her grip on Sojung’s hand tightening. Sojung takes a deliberate breath, completely calm and all nerves forgotten. “Jung Eunbi. Will you marry me?”

Eunbi sits, the motion almost a blur because it’s so rapid, and throws her arms around Sojung’s neck. The force nearly knocks them both backwards. “Sojung—” She laughs, breathless, happy, and responds like she doesn’t even have to think about it. “Yes. Of course it’s a yes!”

Breathe. She has to remind herself to breathe for a moment. But then she’s laughing, just as happy and breathless as Eunbi’s own laughter, and hugs her a little tighter, burying her head in the crook of Eunbi’s neck. To take in that this is real.

When Eunbi pulls back, Sojung takes her hand in her own, and slides the ring onto her finger. It fits perfectly. It looks like it belongs.

Everything feels right.

Eunbi wipes her eyes with the back of her free hand, looks down at the ring one more time before she pulls Sojung into a kiss.

Sojung runs a hand through Eunbi’s hair, tangling her fingers in it, and holds her closer.

“I love you,” Eunbi murmurs when they pull apart, resting her forehead against Sojung’s.

“Yeah.” Sojung grins. “I kind of love you too, you know.”

“Kind of?” Eunbi smiles, her eyes still looking a little watery. She pulls back a little, and nudges Sojung’s shoulder. “I don’t think people who kind of love their best friend propose to them, Sojung.”

Sojung laughs, nudging Eunbi’s shoulder in return. “Fine, I love you. A lot.”

“So the truth finally comes out. You’ve always been a bad liar.”

“I think maybe it’s just that we know each other well enough to tell. But I could easily say the same for you.”

Eunbi laughs too now. “You’re probably right. I am pretty great at reading people, after all. Especially you.”

She rolls her eyes, feigning annoyance at Eunbi’s declaration, but is unable to mask the overwhelming fondness she feels. That she always feels. As a reply, she pulls Eunbi closer again for another kiss, smiling when she feels Eunbi’s shoulders shaking with a quiet, happy laughter.

She looks down at the ring on Eunbi’s finger for what feels like the thousandth time in the last few minutes. Here it is, the hand she’s held so many times from early onward. The same hand she’s brushed her own against, that she’s felt curled in the back of her jersey after stage performances, that she’s memorized the feel of and that fits in her own perfectly, now with a ring on it, real and tangible proof of forever. Not like they needed it, but it’s a nice reminder. A reminder of them and that they'll always have each other, that they’ll always stand side by side.
 

(Home: warmth, comfort, Jung Eunbi.)