At every table, i’ll save you a seat

Lover

December, Joohyun and Seulgi’s Apartment

 

Seulgi

 

I opened the door to our apartment, and I see you arranging the presents under the Christmas tree. You look so cute, and I just smiled to myself while closing the door and hung my coat on the rack.

 

“Hyun”, I said.

 

You looked up with a furrowed brow that was immediately replaced with ease when you saw me and smiled, “Seul”. You stood up and went to me and placed both your hands on my waist and gave me a chaste kiss on the lips, “Dinner’s ready”.

 

A few steps away from our dining table I already smell the pasta you made. I can’t wait to dig in.

 

We just ate dinner while casually asking each other how our day was, and up til now, for more than three years of marriage, I still can’t process how domestic we are. Everything just felt like a dream and I can’t even believe that I got this lucky with life, and with you.

 

As soon as we were done eating, you stood up and was about to clean up when I stopped you. “Hyun, you cooked. I’ll wash the dishes” and gave you my impeccable smile that turn my eyes into crescents.

 

You smiled and rolled your eyes. “You know you don’t always have to do that just to get your way”, you said. “I’ll gladly let you wash the dishes”

 

Shaking my head, I chuckled. That’s a good point.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Joohyun

 

Since you’re on dish washing duty, I’ll try looking up what we can watch on Netflix tonight.

 

I’ve been scrolling Netflix for a lot longer than I thought because I didn’t notice you were already done washing the dishes. I got startled when you sat beside me and the sofa bounced a bit. “Jeez, you scared me”, I said.

 

You were giggling, wrapping your arms around my waist and said, “Everything scares you, Hyun”.

 

I just glared at you and you just laid your head on my shoulder. “You still haven’t picked anything?”, you asked.

 

“Nothing”, I said.

 

You took the remote from me and turned off the tv. “I’ve got an idea”, you said and stood up. You went to our vinyl collection and I already know what you’re planning to do. I smiled and waited for you to pick a song.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Seulgi

I placed the record on the record player, lifted the tonearm and lowered the stylus on the record. The song started playing.

I turn around and saw you already smiling widely at me, “Taylor Swift? You’re really feeling a little cheesy tonight”, you said.

I walked up to you, offered you my hand and said, “Can I have this dance?”

“Of course,” you took my hand and I led you to our little space by the record player. I placed both of my hands on your waist and you placed your hands on my waist. You leaned your head on my chest and I leaned on top of your head. We swayed matching the song playing in the background.

 

Can I go where you go?

Can we always be this close forever and ever?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Joohyun

This song just takes me back. Back to where everything started, and everything changed but also… not change.

Just like this, swaying with you to this song, in front of your car, overlooking the city, five years ago you asked me to be your girlfriend.

 

Take me out, and take me home

You’re my, my, my, my, lover

 

I looked up smiling at you, remembering this memory and gave you a kiss. It was short but slow and passionate. Realizing I leaned back, you opened your eyes, smiled and asked, “You were thinking what I was thinking huh?”

With a teasing smirk and raised eyebrow, I asked you back, “And what exactly was I thinking?”

“That night when I asked you to be my girlfriend”, you said with confidence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seulgi

“You got me there”, you said. And we continued swaying to the song with your head on my chest.

 

And I’m highly suspicious that everyone who sees you wants you

I’ve loved you three summers now, honey, but I want ‘em all

 

I laugh to myself remembering how I was so oblivious of my feelings for you. When we were in college, I saw how people were looking at you. You’re beautiful and I totally get why they sometimes stare, but I can’t help myself get irritated by the way they stare. I thought that was just me being insecure, but I was already developing feelings for you.

I hugged you tighter, and that made you look up. “I wish I had realized my feelings for you a lot sooner”, I said. You were gazing at me so softly, and I continued, “So we could already have had 10 years of being together, like this.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joohyun

I put my hand on your cheek, and gently caressed it with my thumb. You closed your eyes when I did this, and I noticed you were also kind of blushing. Cute. “Seul, you don’t have to regret the times we didn’t get to spend together”. You opened your eyes and looked straight to mine. I smiled and continued, “look forward to the ones we do get, and believe me it will be a lot.” Although we’ve been together for a total of five years, it felt like we barely scratched the surface and those five years really went by so fast.

 

And at every table, I’ll save you a seat, lover

 

“We have forever to look forward to”, you nodded slowly and… there it is. That smile that reaches your eyes, it always make my heart skip a beat.

You leaned in and kissed me. Like it was our first kiss, deep and full of excitement.

 

Oh, you’re my, my, my, my

Darling, you’re my, my, my, my lover