Irrevocable

Irrevocable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irrevocable – JeongSa Story

 

Growing up together, Jeongyeon and Sana never really looked at each other beyond the friendship boundary. Everyone is convinced that they should be together. Everyone except them apparently. As they enter high school, things start to change.

 

~

 

Summer before their senior year in middle school when Jeongyeon and Sana started to play as starters in their school’s volleyball club. Jeongyeon played as a wing spiker while Sana became the team’s setter. For most best friends in their country, school years as classmates are something to be wished for. Although that is not the case for them. Ever since grade school, the volleyball gods seem to favor them the most as they enter every single year as classmates. Sana, being the so called genius that she is and Jeongyeon being the student who’s life is everyone’s dream.

 

“Jeong, I think you should focus more on top spin rather than power,” Sana mentioned after observing her best friend’s last attack. It was their training before the finals game against their school rivals so both of them are anxious on how they will perform. Their opponent is actually at par with their team’s skills so if they want to win, they need to perform better than they did during the semi-finals.

 

Jeongyeon took a sip from her water bottle and wiped her sweat using the hem of her shirt. “You think so? I wasn’t that impressed with the spin myself. I think something went wrong when I approached,” she sat down on the bleachers and looked up to Sana. “What do you think?” she asked again.

 

Sana shrugged, “Yeah. I saw how the ball spun. It’s definitely slower than our normal spin. Are you trying something out?”

 

Her best friend remained quiet and just gave her a smile. When training ended, they proceeded to the shower room to change their clothes and go home. It has been their tradition to go home together since their houses are pretty much two houses away. It’s been like that since middle school and Sana pretty much knows that it’ll be like that until high school. “Wait for you by the gate,” Jeongyeon said while Sana was putting on her clothes.

 

“Sure thing,” she answered. Sana finished dressing up and started combing her hair. Her bag already placed on top of the counter since she’s ready to leave as well.

 

When she finished, she placed her brush inside her duffel bag and made her way to the exit. Before she can, she heard a voice calling her name, “Sana!”

 

She turned around and saw Chungha, the member of the pool club, running towards her, “Yes?” she asked.

 

“So, tomorrow’s your big game, right?” she nodded, “So, I was wondering if you’d like to grab lunch after?” Chunga asked her. Chungha is one of the popular girls in school. For a while now, she’s been trying to find the timing to ask Sana out but the time only came now.

 

Am I being asked out? What should I tell her?

 

Jeongyeon’s face flashed in her mind, “Sana!” she turned her head to see the same girl she just thought about. “You were taking so long so I figured I should just go back in,” the taller girl continued to walk and stopped beside her. Jeong turned to Chungha and gave her a slight nod.

 

Sana cleared , “Maybe next time, Chungha?” she smiled apologetically. “Hey, my shoulder hurts. Carry my bag,” she complained to her best friend.

 

The girl raised her eyebrow and scoffed, “Carry it on your own.” Jeongyeon walked out, making Sana laugh out loud and Chungha blink twice.

 

She caught up with her best friend, knowing very well that Jeongyeon won’t walk that fast for her to not catch up. Somehow, Sana knows that Jeong still waited for her. “Can you slow down? My shoulder really hurts because of that serving drill we did earlier and setting non stop for everyone.”

 

Jeongyeon looked at her and stopped, “You’re hopeless.” The taller girl took Sana’s bag from her and carried it herself. “It’s not even that heavy,” she whispered, too soft for Sana to hear. Sana already knew the drill and took the milk carton from Jeongyeon’s jacket pocket.

 

“Thanks!” she beamed at her best friend who only rolled her eyes. Jeongyeon dropped her home before going home herself. “See you tomorrow!” she said, earning a nod from the girl. Sana shook her head and went inside their house.

 

~

 

“Congratulations on winning the championship!” their coach announced when they were all huddled up inside the dugout. “Jeong, that last point was amazing! I didn’t know you were capable of such a cut shot.”

 

“Thanks, Coach. But it was just thanks to Sana’s set. If it was a little less than perfect, I wouldn’t be able to do it,” Sana looked at her and gave a shy smile. Of course her best friend will always share the praise, even though it was all Jeongyeon who did the point.

 

On their way home, Sana and Jeongyeon were still in euphoria with their gold medals hanging on their necks, “Did you see that drop shot I made? It really got them!” Sana said in a bubbly tone while Jeongyeon continuously nodded.

 

“How about the attack line spike I made? It made my blood race and it rarely happens!” Jeongyeon said with the same excitement mirroring her best friend’s.

 

It never occurred to Sana that her best friend is the ‘chill’ type of player. She rarely celebrates a point vocally but rather just makes a ‘yes’ gesture and turns to her teammates. But today, Sana saw a different Jeongyeon. She saw the competitive Jeongyeon who celebrated each point by being vocal and patting their teammates on the head. It was refreshing to see her best friend like that.

 

“Say, did South Arch High contact you?” Jeongyeon opened another topic, suddenly serious. South Arch High is the powerhouse when it comes to high school volleyball. They always compete in the nationals so getting contacted by them is somehow a privilege that a middle school player can only dream of. She actually couldn’t believe when she received a call from the assistant coach of the team, asking her if she’s interested to be part of their team.

 

Sana turned to her, “Yeah. Why, did they contact you as well?” Jeongyeon nodded, “Want me to be your setter still?”

 

“You want me to be your spiker?” the girl said with a teasing smile, knowing very well how Jeongyeon is every setter’s dream spiker. Hungry for spikes, will do anything to score.

 

Sana stopped walking, “I don’t want you on the other side of the net, Jeong.” Her best friend looked at her, “What?”

 

Jeongyeon shook her head, “Nothing. Let’s go there? For high school?”

 

~

 

“Open!” Jeongyeon called as Sana chased the ball from the right side of the court. After a successful hit, which gave them the win for the day, Sana collapses on the floor, tired.

 

“Sana, you need more cardio,” Sooyoung, a senior and middle blocker from their team, joked. When they joined the team, Sooyoung did an ‘initiation’ test on them by trying to intimidate them but Jeongyeon gave her respect while Sana gave a genuine smile. Sooyoung automatically declared Sana as her new little sister, kicking Yoona from the spot. 

 

“Ah, unnie, I’m so done with cardio,” she whined. Jeongyeon stood beside her, towering over her body on the floor, “What?”

 

“Stand up, we need to get in line,” her best friend shook her head and turned to their other senior, “Yuri-unnie, can’t we do the back quick attack and use me as the decoy next time?”

 

Hyoyeon, their libero, helped Sana stand up, “You two should really start dating each other.”

 

Sana choked on nothing but air, “Me? And Jeong?” she laughed, “That’s the craziest thing I’ve heard.”

 

“It’s not,” Yoona suddenly chirped in, hearing the conversation. “Everyone thinks so too,” she added.

 

“Unnie, not you too,” Sana groaned. Ever since they entered high school, they’ve been teased about their best friend situation. Even with so much explanation, their seniors still don’t believe that they’re merely best friends. It’s like they made it their mission to make sure Sana is reminded that Jeong and her are not normal best friends as they thought they are.

 

“This is the last game of the practice season, make sure you guys stay in shape since the school banned all club activities starting tomorrow until season begins,” their captain reminded them.

 

“We’re gonna be normal high school students, Jeong!” Sana squealed, making Jeong chuckle.

 

“More time for sleep, I guess?” she said as she changed her clothes. “Wait for you by the vending machine?”

 

“Sure! Be right there,” Sana turned her back and fixed her stuff. Their seniors surround her, “What?”

 

“Still nothing? Still just best friends?” Hyoyeon asked, obviously teasing her. Behind the girl, Sooyoung and Yuri giving her a cheeky grin.

 

“Unnie, where did you get the idea of me and Jeong being more than best friends?” she laughed and shook her head.

 

“We all think you two are more than that. Heck, the whole school does. Don’t you guys know that no one asks you out because they think you two are dating?” Sooyoung leaned on the wall and gave her a knowing expression.

 

“Be honest, don’t you feel a little too excited when Jeongyeon touches your hand? Or when she gives you that smile that everyone falls for?” Yuri asked.

 

Sana stopped what she was doing and thought about it. She does feel something whenever Jeongyeon does something totally normal but out of nowhere. Those little times when Jeongyeon would carry her bag, buy her food, drop by her house to hang out, or even when Jeongyeon randomly messages her saying she brought food even though it’s past midnight.

 

“Oh ,” she suddenly said. Her unnies all laughed and shook their heads. “Why did you have to open it up! Now how can I look at Jeong?!”

 

“What’s up?” Jeongyeon suddenly asked from the door. “You okay, Sana?” the genuine worry from her best friend’s eyes made her heart race.

 

I’m in deep .

 

“Nothing,” Yuri chuckled, pulling Hyoyeon and Sooyoung out of the shower room. Sana mentally counted to ten just so her heart can calm down and she can face her best friend.

 

“Sana?” Jeongyeon was already beside her when she opened her eyes. Sana jumped away, “What’s wrong?”

 

“I didn’t hear you approach me!” she excused with a dry chuckle. “Nothing’s wrong. What do you mean something is wrong?” she took her bag and started walking towards the exit as well.

 

Jeongyeon pulled her by the wrist, their faces inches apart, “You’re acting weird. Did the unnies do something?” her face started frowning.

 

“No! Nothing,” she mentally slapped herself. “Sooyoung just said that someone wanted to ask me out so I’m a bit panicky,” she blurted out as an excuse.

 

“Really?” Jeongyeon stood straight and nodded, “Okay. Let’s go home.” The face of her best friend became void, as if trying to show no expression at all. Sana paid no mind in that and focused on the idea that her unnies made her realize that she likes her best friend. That all along, the reason why she never accepted any of her suitors is because she was waiting for her best friend to ask her out? Now that her feelings are out in the open (for her, at least), the next problem is actually trying to get over Jeongyeon. Of course she doesn’t want her friendship with the girl to be ruined just because she found out about her feelings.

 

“You seem quiet,” she said while walking home. Jeongyeon hummed and yawned, “Ah, you’re tired.”

 

“That and hungry. Ice cream?” the taller girl offered. Sana nodded, obviously craving for something sweet after a tiring day of playing volleyball. “What flavor do you want?” she asked as they entered the convenience store.

 

“The usual,” Sana answered and sat on one of the chairs by the window. She observed as Jeong picked their ice cream and paid for it. Now, every little detail Jeongyeon does is loud and obvious. She never given it much attention before but things quickly changed and she blames Sooyoung for that. Their unnies just had to ruin her innocent relationship with her best friend.

 

Jeongyeon returned to where she was sitting, “You’re spacing out again. Is something wrong?” she shook her head. “I don’t like it when you lie,” there was a hint of annoyance in the taller girl’s voice. Sana made a mental note that Jeongyeon knows when she’s lying.

 

“What if I start dating?” she asked, hoping she can see any hint of jealousy from Jeongyeon’s face. But her hope is quickly crushed when Jeongyeon smirked at her, “What?”

 

“Well, if you do, tell me who the person is so I can tell her good luck because you’re a handful and a big headache,” the taller girl laughed, her eyes turning into crescents that Sana loves seeing.

 

She kept quiet, feeling hurt by what her best friend said. “I guess you’re right,” she whispered to herself but Jeongyeon heard it.

 

“Hey, I was just kidding,” Jeongyeon placed her hand on Sana’s head, as if patting it. “I think anyone who will date you will be the luckiest person on earth. And I, as your best friend, will destroy the person who will break your heart. I promise.”

 

Sana smiled timidly, still disappointed that she did not feel that Jeongyeon had any problem with her possibly being with someone else. Much worse, she felt as if though Jeongyeon likes the idea of her dating someone. For some reason, her heart clenched. It was the first time she ever felt something so… painful. “Let’s go home?” she stood up and picked up her bag from the vacant chair beside her.

 

“Sana,” Jeong stopped her. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you,” the girl continued. Somehow, the story felt more painful than what she said earlier but Sana swallowed the pain and smiled.

 

“No worries, I didn’t take it to the heart,” she answered. Jeongyeon stood up and took Sana’s bag from her. “I can carry that,” she complained.

 

“No need. I know your shoulder feels sore from giving those perfect sets. It’s the least I can do for my best setter,” Jeongyeon gave her a smile and placed her arm over Sana’s shoulder. “You know, I’ll always be your best friend, right?”

 

“And you’ll always be my best friend,” she chuckled. Jeongyeon failed to notice how Sana’s smile disappeared as soon as they started walking their way home. As much as she wants to conf

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter