at the edge of seventeen

at the edge of seventeen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soulmates. A gift. A present. A constant.  

But above all, it’s a commitment that takes a lifetime to perfect. A lot of courage to accept and so much love to cherish.  

And luckily, two are strong and courageous enough to keep it.  

Yujin and Wonyoung both knew that ever since they held hands during Miss Kwon’s music class activity in 3rd grade at 8:08 in the morning, their lives would be tangled perfectly forever. It was not by chance rather by destiny granted upon them by whoever is above. It was the time they both realized what soulmates mean. What they do to each other and how much they are connected. Everything has been knotted by true love thereupon.  

Yujin was eight when she realized Wonyoung would wait by the balcony for her every day. It is a routine they both unknowingly made. From then on, she would always come exactly at 7:30 in the morning with bagels on hand and a sweet morning smile for her other half. The two would wait for their bus while talking about every random thing. From Wonyoung’s dream last night to Yujin’s unfinished breakfast bowl. It's amazing how both never get tired of each other. The excitement within them is still present. And the longingness for each other's presence daily never falters.  

That's when she realized, she wants her in her life for a long time.  

She was ten when Wonyoung didn’t show up that morning. The ride to school was lonely, dark and cold. It was quiet and the silence was definitely deafening for a child like her. Different from the ones with Wonyoungie. The bagel turned cold and the sweet smile became bitter. Arriving at school was the same as wanting to go home immediately. How can she wait for dismissal without a certain someone’s nagging to go play tag?  

She definitely needed her.  

She was twelve when she saw Wonyoung with a boy. She saw love and adoration in that little boy’s eyes. As if her best friend is the most precious thing on earth. She felt jealous. But Wonyoung made everything better. She held Yujin’s hands once again and calmed the brewing storm inside the older one. Her presence brought calmness to Yujin. Her smile warmed her heart. And her eyes? Yujin can see all the stars inside them. And by now, Yujin can pinpoint every single detail Wonyoung possesses. As if all along she knew where the certain missing piece of puzzle belongs. And for her, it’s a lot easier to memorize her soulmate than the multiplication table her mom made her remember.   

She wanted her for herself.  

She was fourteen when she saw Wonyoung cry. A sight she never wanted to remember nor see again. A feeling she wants to forget. Seeing her cry was feeling her own heart break into million pieces. Seeing her vulnerable was hugging her until all the broken pieces mend together. Seeing her weak was whispering love and promises. But above all, seeing her was loving her stronger and keeping her closer.  

She promised to never let her cry again.  

She was sixteen when she saw Wonyoung kissing someone at the backdoor of the gym. It was dismissal that time and Yujin went to find her best friend for an after-school ice cream date. She was devastated. Not even the tears can give solace to the emptiness she is feeling. Not even the cup of hot Choco can suffice for the missing sweet presence. It was hurting all too much, more than the time she failed her music class.  

I think I love her more than just as my best friend, mom.  

Parties. Not that Yujin hates them but she’s tired of it. Endless sea of people crowding, mixed scents of unnecessarily expensive perfumes that hide insecurities, lies and lives. Abundance of fake smiles on faces of unfamiliar people. Bone-chilling hugs from known strangers.  

It's definitely hell for her. Except for one. 

Year-end parties are the most anticipated gathering by the whole school population for two reasons. One because the school’s resident rich couple organizes it and that means endless supply of expensive liquor and a wide array of food suitable for the palate of the wild and young. And second, it’s the only time they can be chaotic without actually getting punishments. An easy excuse to get lost and let loose.  

Adding to the million reasons that Minju came up while planning is the fact that her favorite youngsters are going to celebrate their birthdays soon. What better way to celebrate one than a well-planned party with no budget and absolutely parents off-limits?  

“Minju, babe, do you think the two would like this?” Chaewon shrugged while looking at all the decorations her girlfriend is putting up.  

Much to everyone’s knowledge, the younger duo hates attention. Almost despises it. And would do everything just to stay low-key and out from the prying eyes of the public. But the presence alone of the two are attention grabbers which makes everything a little bit more complicated. 

It comes from the constant public appearance for the already damaged images of their conglomerate-leading fathers. They are pawns for pity, for attention and for foolproof forgiveness. And it’s a surprise how both Yujin and Wonyoung grew up without much hatred for their parents because at one point, they were too much to say the least.  

Minju just pouted because even she is clueless on how the two would take in what she prepared. But making them attend it is already a win for her, right? It took dozens of pleadings and bribing to get the two in the same boat as them, kind of, slight, 50/50, not totally.  

The rest of being seventeen was spent admiring her best friend discreetly, memorizing all her laugh lines, the way her eyebrows would furrow and how her smile would turn big every time she tells a joke. And beyond everything, it was spent seeing her love someone else.  

Nothing much changed, except for one. How Yujin sees Wonyoung.  

Every time that guy would hold Wonyoung’s hand, a ting would be felt on Yujin’s heart.  

Every time Wonyoung would choose the tasteless date nights with her ‘friend’ over of their Friday movie nights, Yujin feels a little lonelier.  

“Wonyoungah, what do you want to do on our birthday?” Yujin asked her best friend. Fiddling with the pen she is holding. They are inside the library now, attempting to study but failing miserably.  

“Hmm? Minju unnie planned a party for us right? Same night as the year end party.” Wonyoung answered mindlessly. Her mind has been all over the place lately, with the finals coming up and some personal issues she’s too afraid to resolve.  

“You want to go there? Really? It's gonna be too crowded!” Yujin almost shouted which earned her a glare from the librarian. “Who would want to attend those kinds of parties anyway? All the kids do is grind with each other and share their saliva. Yuck. Ew. Gross.” Making disgusted faces that earned her a smirk from the younger one.  

“Yah yah Yujinnie! Where did you learn those things? I thought I’m the only one wild here?” Wonyoung smirked. 

For the past year, all Wonyoung did was explore. She met new people that introduced her to things Yujin is not accustomed to. Made her try extraordinaries and gave her a taste of real life. Away from Yujin’s care. Away from their safe bubble. And that changed Wonyoung somehow.  

She became smarter. Thinking much more maturely. And became much more careful in general. And that’s because, quote unquote “The real world is a dangerous place, Yujinnie.”  

“Okay, okay fine. Minju unnie’s party then. Stop annoying me now.” Yujin ro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter