So Close Yet So Far

So Close Yet So Far

 

Kim Jongwoon, a songwriter and composer under the name Yesung, is well-known as the "Golden Hand" in the industry, every song he composed and write becomes a hit. He receives so much great reviews of his composing, his lyrics contains so much emotions that moves the listeners.

But, also many of them reveals that Yesung is really cold and distant. Never once they saw him in an event or seen with a friend. He looks like he doesn't even have one friend on his side.

 

Well, yes. He indeed is a loner, he never involves in human relationship as he should.

 

It's because he doesn't want to.

 

Because his time is borrowed.

 

Yesung was sick since his childhood. He had a defective heart since birth, so that's why he never had a friend, except for Kyuhyun, his cousin from his mother's side.

He received a transplant right after he turned 30, after much coaxing his mom and Kyuhyun done.

But, unfortunately, it doesn't really gone well, he still needs medications and even re-transplant, but still didn't do it until this day, he only sticks to medication. He didn't want to exchange life with someone ever again.

 

He was this kind of person, until.....

 

He came to Label SJ, he come to submit his composition to the company since he recently composed a song and he hoped his song could be included in one of their artist's album.

 

And when he met the A&R team of the company, he sees someone he never met there, he come to the company few times before, but this is his first time seeing this person,

 

"AhYesung-ssi, here's our new addition to our A&R team, Kim Ryeowook," said one of the lady, introducing the new guy.

Ah, so he's a new guy, no wonder.  Yesung thought.

"Ah yes, hello." he said, no more. No less.

But this Kim Ryeowook guy greets him with such enthusiasm, he can't help but slightly impressed at him.

And, now, time for real business.

He and the A&R team of Label SJ will listen to the demo of the song he submitted, he sang the guide by himself few weeks ago, along with the arrangement of the melody.

"Yesung-ssi, you sang the guide by yourself?" Ryeowook asked, purely curious, since it's his first day at work and also listening to a demo song.

"Yes " Yesung said, nice and short. As usual.

"You have a nice voice, you can even debut as a singer tho!" the younger said, again, with such enthusiasm.

"Thanks?" he said, unsure. He doesn't know how to handle this kind of compliment.

And that's how their first meeting ends.

 

Few weeks later, he was informed that his song will be included in one of Label SJ's Artist, Kim Heechul's upcoming album, and they expect him to attend the recording session next week, to monitor the process, he said yes.

But, unfortunately, his heart acting up 2 days before the recording, so he needs to inform the company that he can't attend the recording session, and in the end, the recording is rescheduled to next week.

When he enjoys his rest at his apartment, he heard his bell rings, so he wake up and totally surprised to see Ryeowook in front of his apartment.

"Ryeowook-ssi? How did you know my address?" he asked, he didn't remember exchanging contact number with this guy, tho, so, how did he know that he's here?

"Ah i was informed that the recording has been rescheduled because you were sick, so i asked for your address to the team....i was concerned......" he said.

"Well" Yesung turned speechless. He barely knew this guy, yet, he come all the way from his office to his apartment just to see him.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, Yesung-ssi, but i only want to give you this..." he handed Yesung a bag, it's a porridge that Ryeowook made.

"T-thank you, Ryeowook-ssi..." he said,

 

"P-please, come in.." finally comes to his sense, he asked the younger to enter his apartment,

"Oh no, no..i'll be a disturbance to you, Yesung-ssi..i better made my leave, get better soon, and i hope i can see you next week..." Ryeowook said, and made his leave.

And, as Yesung comes back to his apartment, his heart felt warm, the warmth he never feel all his life.

 

The following week, he comes to the recording session as promised, he met Heechul, the artist, and the other staffs from the company, including Ryeowook.

They didn't talk much in the recording studio, since Yesung's busy with directing Heechul on how he should potray the song, and Ryeowook is also busy with his team.

Instead, Ryeowook asked him to have some coffee after the recording, he ponders for a while before saying "yes". He don't know why, but he feels the charm Ryeowook has to the point he cant reject his offer.

They had coffee at the cafe near Label SJ, the place was nice and cozy, Yesung kinda like it.

"So, what would you like, Yesung-ssi?" Ryeowook asked,

"Welli don't drink coffee.......so i guess a tea will be good....." he said,

"So, Green tea?" Ryeowook asked one last time,

"Yes, Green tea.." and Ryeowook leave his seat to order

Ryeowook comes back sooner than he expected, so  he politely thanked him and slowly drink his tea.

He stays silent for the first 10 minutes, and that makes Ryeowook made the first move,

"So, i heard the recorded song, it was good, Yesung-ssi" he said,

"Ahyes, sure...thank you" Yesung said, shyly. He never spends time with a friend before, so it kinda awkward for him right now,

And, that's it. A few more words from Ryeowook and now they spend hours talking to each other.

 

 

It's been months since then and now he and Ryeowook are best friends, they have so much thing  in common and they feel comfortable around each other.

Both of them actually started to fall in love with each other, but neither of them made the move..

Yesung wants to, but he knew that it will only hurt Ryeowook later on, he'll die soon and he didn't want Ryeowook to grief of him that much.

On the other hand, Ryeowook also wants to confess, but he was unsure of Yesung's feeling towards him, and he doesn't want to ruin their friendship because of his confession.

 

And they continues on like that, being comfortable around each other without even confessing love.

And as expected, Yesung's getting worse day by day, he can't even finish some of his works, it's all delayed because he's too weak and spends his time mostly at the hospital.

"Hyung, how are you feeling today?" Ryeowook asked, concerned of his friend's worsening condition.

Yesung only gives him a nod, he feels too tired to even talk these days, so he mostly nods or shakes his head, sometimes talks shortly for specific needs.

"Ahi brought you my special Porridge! Would you like some?" the younger asked again,

And Yesung nods as a reply, then Ryeowook gets up and prepare the porridge in silence.

They spent times like that, until the visiting hours end, and Ryeowook excuse himself.

 

Time flies fast and the dreaded day has come, Yesung has passed away. He passed so peaceful on the hospital bed, not even feeling a single pain.  His mom is devastated, but she knew, her son is no longer in pain, that he now free from all the misery of life.

The funeral itself is solemn, only few acquaintance come to pay respect, because Yesung only had few to none friends to begin with.

And, Ryeowook come, tears are pooling and falling from his eyes as he pays respect to Yesung.

He cried for some more minutes, until Kyuhyun come.

"Ryeowook-ssi, Right?" asked Kyuhyun,

 

"I'm Kyuhyun, Jongwoonie Hyung's cousin, i heard a lot about you .." he said again.

Ryeowook nods, "I heard a lot about you too, Kyuhyun-ssi.." he said.

"Ryeowook-ssi..i hope you want to accept this, it's from Jongwoonie hyung, he asked me to hand it to you. " he said, as his hand giving Ryeowook a piece of CD with "So Close Yet So Far" written there.

"My hyung is happy there...i hope you'll be happy too, Ryeowook-ssi, because that will also be Jongwoonie Hyung's wish..." Kyuhyun said as he gets up and pat Ryeowook's shoulder.

Ryeowook goes home after that, and listens to the CD Kyuhyun gave him moments ago,

Yesung's husky voice greets him right after he pressed Play, apparently, it's a song Yesung Composed before his condition gets worse.

 

I wasn’t like this before

But things aren’t going my way

The deeper my love gets

The bigger my fear grows

 

Because if I have to pay the price for my happiness

I’ll have to do it with my tears

Don’t come, just stay right there

Don’t go, to a place where I can’t see you

I love you, I want to tell you but I can’t

I’m afraid love will disappear

 

Feels like I shouldn’t hold someone

Who is as pure as you

 

Because you’re get hurt because of me

Because I know I’ll make you cry

 

Don’t come, just stay right there

Don’t go, to a place where I can’t see you

I love you, I want to tell you but I can’t

I’m afraid love will disappear

 

You are like a bubble

Can’t touch you but I want to protect you

 

Don’t listen to me

Don’t figure it out

My foolish heart

I love you, I can’t take those words out, they settle in my heart

So each time I breathe, it hurts

 

This song was arranged beautifully and Yesung's heartwrenching voice completes the song's beauty as well.

Ryeowook cries hard all the time he heard the song, Yesung loves him all along but can't say it because he was afraid that he'll hurt him,

"What a foolish hyung...." he said in the middle of his cry,

"i loved you too, hyung....."

"i love you .."

"b-but i can't see you now.." he cried again.

 

After some minutes, he finally calmed down, and he finally come with an acceptance,

"i'll be happy hyung...so i hope you'll happy up there, hyung.."

"wait for me, and i'll love you as much as i did here when we meet there.."