Starlight

Starlight (A HyeWon One-Shot)

Hyejoo browsed once more over the details of the astronomy event being held at the end of the week, memorizing everything as best she could. A local group of astronomers rented a space where the lights of the nearby towns were far enough that you could see the Milky Way with the eye in the pitch black darkness, and published that they’d be holding an event there, professional telescopes and all. Hyejoo had been waiting for this opportunity for a while now, she had recently been able to buy a camera she had her eye on and couldn’t wait to use it to take pictures of the stars. The local group didn’t have much of a following, and she reveled in the fact that the place wouldn’t be too crowded, but still, the idea of going by herself made her feel too...lonely. But on the other hand admitting to her group of friends that she loved to go stargazing was a serious no. She knew they wouldn’t let her live it down. She could already imagine them calling her soft and baby. She shuddered at the thought. The only one she would ever let use nicknames like that was Chaewon, and totally not because she was absolutely whipped. 

Hyejoo’s eyes lit up, thinking of Chaewon made her realize there wouldn’t be anyone else she’d rather share this experience with. Even if she , her daydreams of watching the stars with Chaewon would become a reality. Hyejoo wasted no time and grabbed her phone, easily finding the contact she texts with so often. 

Hye: Hey Chae, you there?

Her eyes lit up as she almost immediately saw the typing bubble pop up.

Chae: Where else would I be?

Hye: I have an important question.

Chae: Shoot.

Hye: Are you by any chance free this Saturday?

Chae: Yeah I’m pretty sure I am. Why?

Hye: Would you….accompany me to a stargazing event…?

Chae: Sure..? Why all the suspicious periods?

Hye: idk..I was expecting you to tease me or something.

Chae: Oh, you mean like thinking this is totally cute? 

Hye: Whatever! Be ready by evening, I’ll go pick you up.

Chae: Whatever you say, my little astronomer.

Hye: BYE

Hyejoo didn’t have to look at herself in the mirror to know her face was practically on fire. Chaewon always knew how to fluster her, but Hyejoo would be lying if she said she didn’t enjoy it. The butterflies fluttering in her stomach would probably make themselves at home there all week.

***

Chaewon made herself comfortable on the passenger seat of Hyejoo’s car, her gaze lost in the remote places that surrounded her as they made their way to their destination. The roads had gone from their usual wide streets to narrow dirt paths, guiding them slowly where they needed to go. “That must be it” Hyejoo pointed out. Up ahead, the dirt path stopped and they faced a wide field, and at the very edges you could barely make out where it met with dense forest. Some cars were already parked there, visitors and astronomers alike, a few telescopes littering a small area. Hyejoo approached with her car and parked it beside the others, making sure to set up her camera before the last rays of sunlight disappeared for the day. While Hyejoo took care of her stuff Chaewon took the opportunity to spread out a picnic blanket over the grass and bring out some snacks and drinks they had brought with them. 

With everything set up, Hyejoo sat beside Chaewon to wait for nightfall, taking note of how her eyes glimmered in the evening sun. The orange and pinkish purple hues cast over her made her look ethereal. As if on cue, Chaewon caught Hyejoo staring, but instead of turning away like she would usually do, Hyejoo held her gaze. They locked eyes for a few seconds that seemed to stretch out forever and when Chaewon turned and looked away, Hyejoo considered it a victory judging from the pink shade that dusted her cheeks. 

Darkness engulfed them soon enough, and it was when the sky was full of dark blues that they realized neither of them had said a word. 

“The sky is clear.” Hyejoo said, breaking the silence.

“I take it that's good?” Chaewon responded.

“They make sure to plan these events on days with clear skies, we wouldn't be able to see a thing with clouds in the way. Since the moon isn't out it makes it even better. You'll see soon.”

As the sun sunk deeper past the horizon, and as her eyes adjusted to the darkness, Hyejoo could only make out the faintest features on Chaewon’s face. The realization finally hit her. She was here, under the starlit sky with Chaewon, sharing one of her greatest passions with the girl she’s grown to love more and more over time. She would give anything to know what she was thinking. Would she ever think of her? Would she get lost in daydreams about her too? 

She felt Chaewon shift beside her, and watched as her silhouette reached for one of the snacks they had brought with them. 

“You know, it might be dark but I can tell you're staring at me, Hyejoo.”

Hyejoo had never turned her head faster. She chuckled nervously. “Sorry, I got lost in thought for a bit there.” She heard Chaewon hum as she took a bite out of the snack she picked up and Hyejoo took the opportunity to stand up and start taking pictures. 

The Milky Way was as clear as day. It was almost hard to believe the pictures actually belonged to her. She couldn't wait to get back and develop them further, aiming to bring out the colors hidden across the sky. A few more pictures later, she took her camera off her tripod and sat close to Chaewon, showing her the pictures she had taken. The dim light of the camera screen lit up her face ever so slightly, her eyes narrowing as they had gotten used to the dark. 

“These are amazing, Hye.” She stared at the screen in awe.

“They'll look even better after I'm done when I take them home.” Hyejoo pointed at the brighter wave of light that reflected itself in the picture.

“Do you see this?”

“Mhm”

“That's the Milky Way.” She pointed out. “Now look at the sky.”

Chaewon followed where Hyejoo was pointing at, and in the sky, now that the sun had gone far and taken its light with it, she could make out where the Milky Way danced across the sky. Chaewon couldn't tear her eyes away and Hyejoo set her camera down and took in the view. She decided that tonight was the night she would lay her emotions bare. The way the stars glimmered over them gave her the feeling that someone was watching over her, telling her it was time. As Hyejoo planned in her head how she’d finally confess to Chaewon, a voice spoke out from the dark. 

“The telescopes are all set up, whoever wants to take a look may come by.” One of the astronomers announced. 

Chaewon nearly sprang up, excited by every development the event was taking. She helped Hyejoo up and together they walked towards the nearest light of the first telescope. 

One by one they explored deeper into the stars that made up constellations, far away nebulas, and stars so far that to the eye they only looked like one but in reality it was a tight group.

The cold night air took over and Chaewon wrapped her arms around Hyejoo as they walked back to their original place. “This has been so great.” Chaewon said, her voice soft and gentle as she squeezed against Hyejoo a little tighter. “Thank you for inviting me, I don't think I'll ever forget this.”

There was a calm and solemn air to the tone of Chaewon’s voice that filled Hyejoo’s heart with a sense of accomplishment. They sat together once again, and Chaewon took the space in front of Hyejoo, leaning back and pulling Hyejoo's arms around her to escape the cold. Hyejoo’s heart was almost beating out of her chest, and she was almost certain Chaewon was aware of it. But of course, she took the opportunity and held Chaewon tight in her embrace. 

“Chaewon.” Hyejoo’s voice was soft, almost a whisper. 

“Hmm?” 

“Can you promise me something?”

“Is something wrong?”

“Promise nothing will change between us...there's something I need to tell you.”

“Yeah...I promise. What's up..?”

Hyejoo took a deep breath and looked up at the sky, seeking the courage and confidence she needed to finally tell Chaewon how she feels.

“I like you. I have liked you. For such a long time now...I've always kept my feelings hidden because I was so afraid that I'd lose you as a friend but...I don't know...something about tonight told me it's time you knew.”

Chaewon was silent, and the longer she didn't say anything the more Hyejoo panicked. She didn't try to leave Hyejoo’s embrace, instead she seemed to lean back closer to her, not saying a word. It felt like forever before she spoke.

“How come?”

“How come what..?”

“How come you like me…”

“Chae...how can I not? You're so fun to be around. We understand each other without having to say anything. You're always here to comfort me and push me to always strive to be a better version of myself..”

“Hmm..” Chaewon shifted in Hyejoo’s arms and turned to face her, confident that their precarious position was concealed by the darkness. She took Hyejoo’s face in her hands, and in the darkness Hyejoo knew Chaewon was smirking.

“Tell me more about how much you like me.” Chaewon teased.

“Chae..” Hyejoo spoke her name between chuckles, feeling like all the blood in her body was pooled in her face. She was almost sure Chaewon could feel the heat coming off her. 

“Hyejoo…” Chaewon leaned closer, slowly, and Hyejoo thought there was no greater torture than the tension she felt right then. Chaewon's lips brushed lightly against hers, and before they went any further Chaewon spoke softly.

“I've liked you for a long time too.”

And without any hesitation she closed the gap. The kiss was gentle at first, but what Chaewon didn't put into words she was determined to show. Her arms wrapped around Hyejoo’s neck and she deepened the kiss. The longing and the time they had both waited for this moment was almost palpable. It was clear how much both of them had wanted this. As their parted mouths took each other in, Hyejoo could only think about how perfect the moment was. How she held Chaewon's waist underneath her favorite view in the world, trying to burn the quiet noises coming from her lips in her memory. Hoping that she could hold Chaewon like this every day from this moment on.

The only reason they pulled apart was because they were out of breath, and at some point along the way they had started to feel too exposed, even in the pitch black darkness.

“So...uh..” Hyejoo started, between her steadying breaths. “Does this mean we’re together..?”

Chaewon giggled and leaned her forehead against Hyejoo’s.

“Yes, my little astronomer, this means we’re together.” 

 

[A/N] Hello everyone! I hope you're all out there doing your best and staying as safe as possible. Sorry for the long absence, I really hope you guys enjoy this one shot as a small gift from my part while we all get through this <3 I'd appreciate it so much if you let me know what you think in the comments! If anyone needs to talk feel free to send a message at @archindigos on twitter, I'll try to be on that account and you can share thoughts or suggestions with me there. Thank you so much! Be safe!