Chapter two: Taking over Amy’s shift

Risk it all?

Amy has been texting me the whole week about the concert. Mostly just pictures of outfits. It’s cute how excited she is. My week has mostly been working fulltime shifts at the café. My contract is about to expire and I hope for a renewal, so I’m working extra hard to prove myself.

I hear the doorbell ringing. ‘’Welcome’’ I look up with a smile. A men stepped in. He was wearing sunglasses a cap and all black clothing.

‘’Hi, can I have a Americano’’ He asks.

‘’Coming right up, do you want anything else?”

‘’No, thank you’’

‘’Do you want to drink it here or to go?’’

‘’I’ll drink it here’’

‘’Okay, have a seat and I’ll bring it to you when its ready’’

He picked out a spot to sit and took of his sunglasses.
I started on his drink. Even thought this was not my ideal job I always did everything with care. I felt his eyes in my back. Usually it didn’t bother me when customers watched me while working. But for some reason his stare made me a little nervous.

‘’ Here you go’’ I smiled while putting the drink down. His face was still hard to see since he was wearing his cap.

‘’Thank you’’ he tilted his head up and looked me straight in the eye.

He had dark brown eyes. But there was something about his look. They captivated me. It took me a second to realize it… That was Jackson from GOT7!

‘’Y.Your welcome’’ I said. Hating myself internally for the little stutter. Why did I stutter anyway?

‘’Is it always  so quit in here?’’ He asked.

‘’This used to be one of the most popular cafés in town. Everybody came here and knew each other.’’ I gave a sad smile thinking back to those days.

When I first started working here the café was owned by this lovely couple. They had love for people and it showed in their way of working. The whole town knew the place an dropped by multiple times per week. Sadly the husband got sick and his wife couldn’t take care of him and the café. So she decided to sell the café. The owner now is just someone who cares about money. If I talk to a customer for more then 5 seconds I get scolded. Time = money.
Gradually people didn’t come by anymore. The cosy and sweet café has since then turned into a quit and cold place. I didn’t like it one bit, but what can I do. I need the job.

‘’hello?’’ I snapped back out of my little world’

‘’Oh sorry. What did you say?’’

‘’What happened with the café?’’

‘’Oh well. Sometimes people make changes that don’t turn out so great.’’

‘’That is pretty vague’’

‘’Well, I am not allowed to complain by contract’’ I joked.

He laughed. LOUD.

‘’So do you like working here? Since it got so quiet?’’

‘’I like the people that still come here. I started working here two years ago. So I know the regular customers pretty well. It’s not what I’ve always wanted to do, but it’s work.’’

‘’Don’t you have a dream job?’’

‘’I do. I’ve had many dream jobs. But sometimes things don’t work out the way you’ve had planned.’’

Normally I don’t really tell so much about myself to someone I don’t know. But somehow this felled comfortable. Like I was talking to a friend I had for years. We kept talking a bit. Well he kept asking questions and I kept answering them. When I asked a question he kind of brushed passed it.

‘’So I’ve never seen you here before. Are you new in town?’’

‘’Not really, I’m just here for a couple of days’’

‘’Holiday, work?’’

‘’Kind of both’’

I felt conflicted. Do I tell him that I knew him. He clearly was beating around the bush. Or do I go along pretend I don’t know anything. I figured I’d just say it.

‘’Sooo… I kind of know who you are. Don’t worry I’m not going to scream or post on social media that you are here, but it felt weird pretending I didn’t know’’

He smiled. ‘’I don’t mind fans who scream. I love ahgase’s, but thank you’’

He looked at his phone. ‘’I have to go. We have to prepare for our concert tonight’’ he wanted to take out his wallet.

‘’Oh nevermind, it’s on the house’’ I smiled.

‘’Are you sure?’’

‘’Yeah, I have not had any customers yet. And it was fun talking to you. So this is my thank you’’

‘’Thank you’’ He took his jacket an put on his sunglasses.

‘’Good luck tonight. My friend is actually going to your concert.’’

‘’Oh really. What does she look like. Maybe I see her in the crowd’’

I took out my phone and showed a picture of Amy.

‘’I’ll look out for her’’ he winked and turned around. I watched while he walked out the café. A little blush spreading across my cheek. What is happening with me I thought. Why do I blush because of a wink. I started to clean the table where we sat trying to distract myself. And yet he was the rest of the day on my mind.