FIN

A world full of last breaths

I remember the day of our wedding. I stood there waiting for my past, present, and future to walk through those doors. We said that through sickness and in health. For however we both shall live. But time wasn’t on our side this time. I didn’t get the time to tell you more I love yous. I never got the tie to hold you in my embrace and tell you that everything was going to be alright. I made camp in my lab for days upon nights and didn’t stop to think if my lovely wife was doing ok. You were slowly dying while I was trying to preserve others' lives. You had told me that you didn’t want to kiss me or touch me in general. I was always so confused. My wife who is into being able to show her love for me in ways of touch and intimacy didn’t want me to touch her. I thought you found someone else. Someone who was there for you 24/7. Someone who would stop everything and just squeeze your hand. But I was so very wrong. I should have been there with you while you were admitted into the hospital. I should have said my goodbyes. I shouldn’t have thought that you up and left me. I shouldn’t have plagued my mind with bad thoughts about you. I shouldn’t have cursed the day I would have seen you in that other person’s arms. Looking happy and in actual love. I was so very foolish. We only have forever and everyone’s forever ends at a different time. Your forever has ended and I will be forever in love with you. Our forever is still my future. As I look out into the world I see something that I stopped. Something that I cured. But I was too late to save you. I was too late to preserve your life. I blame myself. I should have done everything faster. Maybe I could have saved you.

 

“Mrs.Kim they’re waiting for you on stage now.” My assistant said to me.

 

“I’ll be there in a minute.” She turned her back and walked away. I played with my wedding ring on my fingers. This is the last simple of our love. You were my home, my water, my flowers, and my time. Seeing you not up in my office to greet me a good morning. Not seeing you every night before going to sleep is going to be difficult. But Lisa, my love, I'll make sure to take my time. I’ll make sure that I will see you on the other side. I might have saved the human lives of many. I saved their last breaths. But I wasn’t able to save my world’s last breath. I might have failed you and I know deep down that I did. All I can do for you is to live my life in your memory. And I think that we will be ok.