Modern Cinderella

Modern Cinderella

A long  ago, behind the woods, behind the mountains, a beautiful girl lived... What nonsense, I thought to myself putting the book away for the regiment. I don't understand the phenomenon of fairy tales, everything there is perfect, and that allows a young girl to hope for a perfect life at the side of a fairy prince. Leaving that fact aside: the fairy tales show that beautiful people are inherently good and ugly people are terrible, bad and vile. And then hatred is born, mockery towards people who do not look good. That's what I hate about fairy tales for children. Not everyone has good genes to be beautiful. 

"Jinyoung, move today is your first day of school!" I heard my stepfather scream. I sighed quietly it's not that I hate him, but I don't have warm emotions about him. I understand that I'm not his biological son, but the mere fact that he treats me worse than his daughters is not very good. He adopted me, so if he did, he should at least treat me well. I'm not talking about giving me love, but just respect. 

The road to school has passed in silence. Only Jennie talked to Rose. My sisters are an example of perfect girls. Jennie is beautiful, smart, and the only thing that doesn't fit her description is that she's a mean . In fact, it's the same with Rose, although Rose is not very smart, she relies more on Jennie. She's terribly obedient to her, she'll do anything Jennie says.  Despite the change of school, I'm sure their status as school princesses will not change. I mean, they're beautiful really beautiful. Any guy would be interested in them. I breathed quietly looking out the window. The neighborhood is very nice, I assume the school is also very beautiful. After all, it's a school for rich kids. 

"We're in place. I'll pick you up after class," said stepfather with a light smile. I left the car without saying goodbye and went inside. It would be nice to start all over again. To change myself and my reputation at the new school. Maybe I can find a friend. But I know that's impossible. I won't start over. I'm still an outcast, a potential criminal. Who would like to be friends with an orphan? Nobody, everyone looks down on people like me.  

I went to the teachers' room. From the corner of my eye I saw the students looking at me curious. I went inside. 

"Good morning. I am a new student" I said while watching the teachers. After a while, one of them came up to me. 

"Jinyoung Park? You will be in my class. Nice to meet you." Said an old man with a light smile. He was low with a little overweight. "I hope you'll spend more time at our school than at your last school."

"We'll see," I said, taking the papers from him. "Though I wouldn't be able to stay at this school."

"Everyone says it's a school where everyone wants to stay," said the teacher. After a while, a blonde boy came into the office. I looked at him and I was speechless. He is look like a prince. "Oh! Mark! This is Jinyoung is a new student. You'll be going to class together," he said to the stranger.

The blond turned towards me with a radiant smile. For the first time in my life, someone was able to charm me with a simple smile. "I am Mark. I'm class and school president. Nice to meet you! If you need help with anything, tell me," he said extending his hand towards me.

"I'm Jinyoung" I gave him a hand. His hand was pleasant to the touch. He had very delicate skin. After a while I took my hand away.

"Mark, will you take these books to the room? By the way, take Jinyoung to the room where you're about to start lessons," the teacher gave the little boy some big books. 

"Sure!" The boy said he was excited.

***

My life has become boring, even very boring. The school was crazy about the upcoming prom. Everyone was gossiping about a potential royal family. I wasn't very interested, but when I found out that Mark, the school prince, was taking off, it intrigued me. I'll honestly admit the crown would fit perfectly with its ethereal appearance. But the madness at school is more about looking for a companion. As far as I know, all the girls are fighting for Mark's attention and his invitation, even my sisters. To be honest , it's terribly funny how they quarrel over a man. Mark himself is also behaving irrationally. Instead of choosing one girl, he watches their rivalries. Maybe it's his ? Watching the girls get his attention. 

"O Jinyoung! Hello!" I turned around and saw Mark walking towards me. "How are you doing? Are you doing well at your new school?" I sighed quietly listening to his questions.

"I'm fine." I said.

"That's great! Are you going to prom?" 

"I don't know yet. I don't really like these parties." I said, shaking my shoulders. "But I'll probably go." 

"So I'll meet you there! Are you wearing a mask? I think I'll take the mask."

"I don't know, maybe. Look, you shouldn't be looking for the future prom queen?" I asked him when I looked at him interesting. 

"I'm looking, but I'm looking for someone for good and not just for one evening," he told me with a light smile. "But once I find this special person, I'm not going to lose him. And once he gets away, I'm gonna run after him until he stays."

"Beautiful speech. And I understand what you mean. "Love is hard to find and even harder to keep." I was nodding my head looking at him. "But I'm sure you'll eventually find that special person," I added comfortingly.

"Thank you, Jinyoungie" he said with big smile on his face.

***

Just as I suspected my stepfather forced me to go to that prom. It didn't surprise me too much that the suit was waiting for me in my bedroom. I knew one thing no one can recognize me at this party. And the reason is very simple. The band that's supposed to play at this prom is a band from my old school. I don't want them to recognize me because they'd laugh at me. Our gang was a bit angry and these snobs' parties were like the biggest sin. That's why I put on a mask and a hat. You could only see my eyes. I left the room and went down the stairs. My sisters appeared before my eyes. With beautiful makeup and dresses. 

"Why are you dressed like that? Can't recognize you." Jennie said shocked looking at me. 

"Don't you know this is a new fashion shout?" I laughed without humor. 

"Are you in trouble again?" Rose said

"No. I'm not in trouble yet."

"

And you're not gonna get into any trouble," I looked at my stepfather and sighed hard. 

"Don't worry," at least I don't have plans like that yet, I added in my mind. 

"Let's go now or we'll be late," Jennie moaned.

***

I turned my eyes up when I entered the room. The ball had a fairy tale theme. Suddenly, picking a royal couple makes sense. I looked around the room and immediately noticed the band. I missed those idiots. But I had to stay away from them. I went to the other end of the room.

"Hello, mysterious man"

I wrinkled my eyebrows looking at the guy in the blue suit. I didn't recognize him at first glance, but I noticed his blonde hair. Mark Tuan. "Shouldn't you pray alone to become king?" I answered by looking at him." 

"I'm not interested in that title. Although it would be nice to win" he laughed happily. "Could you take off your mask so I know who I'm talking to?"

"No, I can't take my mask off." I fixed my hat.

"So, Mr. Mystery, will you dance with me?" He asked with a lovely smile and then stretched his hand out towards me. 

"I don't think that's a good idea. Besides, you're a prince. Don't you think people would be disappointed to dance with a man and not a beautiful princess?" 

"You might be a princess. I don't care if it's a woman or a man." He answered my question and grabbed my hand. "Besides, you're the only person I'm interested in here."

"Sad. I already feel sorry for all these girls" I laughed quietly. "I'm just warning you. I can't dance," I added by looking at our joined hands. 

"Don't worry, I'll lead you." He drew me to himself. He took my hands and put them on his shoulders. And he put his hands on my hips. We started rocking to the rhythm of music. Everyone was looking at us, but I know why I'm finally dancing with a high school prince. 

"I never thought I'd be dancing with the most populaceful guy in school," I laughed quietly. 

"I never thought I'd feel so good at this party. But dancing with you feels good. Your eyes make me stop getting nervous." He whispered in my ear.

"You can use words to your advantage," I said impressed. "But I'm not that easy."

""I can see it from your eyes." He smiled a little.

Suddenly the band stopped playing. I looked towards the stage and chewed my lower lip seeing the vocalist looking at us. The light was directed at us. ! "We heard that the future king found his prince! Prince or will you show us your face to your subjects?!" The team leader shouted cheerfully.

I twisted my head and moved away from Mark. Everyone was looking at me, including my friends that old school. They can't see me here! I started retreating towards the exit and then I ran out.

"Wait!" I heard Mark yelling behind me. But I didn't stop, I just kept rushing ahead. "I told you to wait!" He grabbed my arm.

"Let me go!" I've been growling, trying to rip my arm out. 

"Why don't you show your face? What is this about?" He asked me annoyed. 

"None of your business, so leave me alone." 

"No! I thought we were getting closer together while dancing! I felt amazing having you close, but... but how can I be happy with this closeness when I don't know who you are?" I sighed quietly and I looked at him insecurely. I don't know what to answer. For the first time in my life, I'm missing the words.

"I... I don't know what I have to tell you." I said quietly. "But I'm not hiding from you." I sighed and I was going to take off the mask when a girl ran up to us and said: "Mark, you won! You're the king!" I quickly improved my mask. 

"I'll be right back," said the boy and looked at me again. The girl pissed and went back to the gym. "If we're alone again, will you show your face?"

"You have to go back to the gym. You're the king, they can't wait for you."

"Will you wait for me here?" He asked, looking at me with hopeful eyes. 

"I'll wait, go get the crown," I finally said. The boy ran away from me and ran back to the ballroom. I breathed quietly. I didn't mean to wait for him, it would take too long and the ball would be over soon, which means I can bump into my old friends. I bit my lower lip thinking about what to do. I finally took my hat off. I took a pen and wrote a note for the boy on the tag inside the hat. "Find me if you can." I put my hat on the ground and headed for the gate. I took off my mask and moved to hide behind the gate. I called my stepfather to pick me up. Fortunately, my stepfather came quickly. I got in the car. I looked at the school entrance from the corner of my eye and saw Mark with my hat in his hand.

"It's only midnight. Why do you want to come back? Was it that bad at that prom?" He asked his troubled stepfather.

"I just want to go home." I answered and leaned my head against the car window.

***

The day began quite normally. At least I didn't expect the attack from my half-sisters. Jennie pushed me against the wall in my room. 
"What are you thinking?!"

"What are you talking about?" I was growling annoyed. 

"You think Mark Tuan will like you? You're just a pathetic gay man who thinks he's worth something, but you're not! You think Mark would go out with you? Pathetic thinking. Just do him a favor and stay away from him. Mark is worth more than some criminal' she yelled at me. She was all red in the face that she was angry looking into my eyes. "I warn you, stay away from him." I didn't answer anything. I just looked at her until she left. One thing she was right about, I'm not worth Mark or his precious time. I tried to calm down even though tears started to come from my eyes. I don't understand my reaction. I don't care about Mark. At least not so much as to cry.

***

I tried to forget about the situation this morning. Just as I try to avoid Mark at school. He doesn't know who he danced with at the ball, he doesn't know what I looked like, so I should be safe. I doubt he could have guessed it was me. But the situation at school has suddenly changed. Mark on the school radio announced he was looking for the person he was dancing with. Almost immediately many boys reported to him and each of them was to prove their identity. Interesting idea. I hope someone passes his test.

"You're one of the few people who hasn't come to see me." I jumped up scared hearing a deep voice behind me. I turned my back on the boy. He looked amused. He must have been amused by my face.

"You shouldn't scare people! And to answer your question. I didn't go to you because I wasn't the one who danced with you," I said by biting my lower lip. He looked even better up close.

"Should we see if it wasn't really you?" He asked with a light smile.

"How?" I wrinkled my eyebrows looking straight into his dark eyes. I swear the depth of their color could have absorbed me.

The boy took a card out of his back pocket with a pen. "Write anything on that card," he said, giving me office supplies. I took a pen in my hand and wrote my name on a piece of paper and then I gave it to him.

"I knew" he smiled widely. "I couldn't mistake those eyes! I knew it was you!" He said pleased. "So now there comes the question... ...why? Why didn't you tell me?"

"You must have made a mistake" I said getting up from the chair.

"

No! I wasn't mistaken. I know how my body reacts to you. Why are you running away?" He asked me by grabbing my hand. 

"Because you deserve someone better! Look, this isn't a fairy tale and we don't fit together, so instead of pushing yourself into something toxic, you better let go and pretend it's nothing! Besides, I doesn't feel anything against you." 

"Stop lying. I know you feel something for me and your heart and eyes showed everything at the dance. You know what? I'm not gonna let you go. Even if you run away, I'll do anything to catch you," he got even closer to me. "Can you hear me? I won't let go."

"You shouldn't hold me, you don't even know me. You don't know what kind of person I am. I've done many bad things in my life," I said quietly without looking at him. "So don't waste your time." 

"I don't waste my time. Look, I'm not interested in your past. It's gone and you don't have to go back to that. You've done bad things, like everyone else!"

"Mark..."

"You said it's not a fairy tale, but who said we can't change it. We can make our sour fairy tale and in it you'll be Cinderella and I'll be your prince!" He laughed quietly. "Give it a chance."

"Why should I be Cinderella?!" I made an offended face. 

"Because you lost the hat that helped me find you, it's like a cinderella." He put his big hands on my cheeks and looked at me tenderly. "My modern cinderella."

I felt like time had stopped at this moment. His lips touched mine. I closed my eyes and when I did, I saw fireworks. I felt the heat in my chest. This is the perfect moment. A moment worth waiting for. I can deny my feelings but I can't lie my heart. 

"What was at the end of Cinderella? And they lived long and happy?" The blond man asked when he moved away from me. I laughed quietly at his words.

 

///

 

I apologize to you for any mistakes I made in writing this story. To be honest, this is my first story, so it may be too chaotic or you may not like it, but I will try to correct it in the next story!