3: Four Versions of Sweetness (Confession version)

Lips Like Sugar
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Another day of filming. This time for the second version of the SUGAR™ ad. Kyungsoo and the rest of the crew are already at the set. However, they have to wait for a few more minutes for Kai since he got stuck in traffic coming from another shoot.

 

Just like the previous arrangement, Kai and Kyungsoo will have a run-through first in the morning before proceeding to the actual filming in the afternoon. Kyungsoo is currently going through the script for today and, if Kyungsoo felt jittery during the first shoot, he feels way more on the edge now.

 

"That's the fourteenth time you sighed, Kyungsoo-ssi," Sehun pointed out as he fixes Kyungsoo's hair into a coif. "Nervous?"

 

Kyungsoo was surprised that Sehun was actually counting the sighs that had escaped his lips. "Um, yeah."

 

"I guess that's expected since you're shy and today's script is quite..." Sehun paused, trying to find the proper word to use. "Daring, I suppose."

 

Before Kyungsoo could even agree to what Sehun said, Baekhyun announced Kai's arrival and called for Minseok to work on his make-up for this morning.

 

"I'm really sorry, everyone," Kai apologized. "I hope I didn't make you wait long."

 

"Oh no no no, Kai," Baekhyun said. "It's fine. Some of the crews were also late because of the traffic anyways. So don't think it's just because you're the Nation's Heartthrob that you're getting away with it."

 

Kai laughed before looking around. "Where's Kyungsoo?" he asked, not spotting the said person when he arrived at the set.

 

"Wow!" Baekhyun exclaimed. "Kyungsoo really got you whipped, huh?"

 

Kyungsoo flushed in his seat. Kai hasn't notice him yet since he was at the other side of a makeshift divider, hiding him from Kai's sight, but he can hear Baekhyun making a fuss in his loud voice about how Kai is apparently looking for Kyungsoo.

 

Sehun had just finished fixing the scarf he put on Kyungsoo when a shuffling of feet was heard behind the make-up artist before Kai eventually came into Kyungsoo's line of view. "Hi," Kai greeted.

 

"Hi," Kyungsoo replied, a shy smile on his lips.

 

"You look good," Kai commented.

 

Kyungsoo looked down, unable to meet Kai's gaze. He's still not used to Kai's compliments, and he thinks he never will be.

 

"Thank you," he finally said after a few moments of silence.

 

It was then that Sehun cleared his throat just in time with Baekhyun calling after Kai.

 

"Kai, please come over to Minseok already," Baekhyun said, dragging Kai with him. "You, lovebirds, can catch up later."

 

Really now, Baekhyun is turning this Kai thing into a much bigger deal which Kyungsoo is not sure he appreciates. Sure, it gives him a fuzzy feeling, but he thinks it's still more on the fact that he's working with the Kim Kai. It's only but natural to get all giddy and excited working with someone with talent and popularity as him. Anyone would feel the same, right?

 

Kyungsoo sighed as his gaze fell at a laughing Kai at a distance.

 

*****

 

"I think we better start with filming now," Baekhyun announced as soon as the script rehearsal is done, looking up at the gloomy skies. "It seems like it's going to rain anytime soon and I don't want it ruining our setting."

 

Kyungsoo was about to protest from the abrupt change of plans. But it seemed that Kai read his mind.

 

"It's okay, Kyungsoo," Kai said. "You can do it. You did well with the script rehearsal. I'm pretty sure you'll pull it off greatly once we start filming."

 

"I'm not so sure about that," Kyungsoo admitted, fingers playing with the hem of his scarf. "Last time, I barely made it, if not for your guidance."

 

"Hey," Kai said. "Stop selling yourself short, okay? You're doing a whole lot better than what you're giving yourself credit for."

 

Kyungsoo went completely still, as if Kai's words had struck him so, which left the room in a tense atmosphere. After a few seconds, he spoke again, voice slightly shaking. "Kai, Baekhyun, um... everyone, I hope you don't mind giving me some time alone. I'll just go to the restroom. I'll be back in five minutes."

 

"Okay, Soo," Baekhyun replied, worry evident in his features. "Take your time."

 

Kyungsoo quickly walked away from everyone, going out of the room. As he turns into a corner, he willed himself not to cry. Kyungsoo, don't you dare cry now, he chastised himself. Think of everyone in that room. Think of Kai, think of Baekhyun, of Chanyeol, Think of Sehun. Heck! Think of how your makeup will get ruined if you let those tears fall...

 

He closed his eyes firmly, trying to envision the people he just left inside the room instead of the memories that are pushing their ways into his mind. After a while, when he felt that his nerves had considerably calmed down, he decided to go back to the room.

 

*****

 

Kyungsoo was grateful that the stiff mood has already been lifted when he came back. Everyone was back to doing what they were supposed to be doing. Baekhyun is busy ordering people around. Chanyeol is tinkering on one of the props they would be using on the set. Minseok has his hands on a seated Kai, working on the latter's makeup. He then found Sehun organizing his makeup collection. Kyungsoo approached him with hurried steps.

 

"Sehun, sorry for making you wait," Kyungsoo apologized.

 

"It's no problem," Sehun said, reaching out for Kyungsoo's shoulders to guide him to sit on the vanity chair. "We all get jitters at times. Especially when it comes to things we're exploring for the first time."

 

Kyungsoo nodded. He knows exactly what Sehun meant. He has felt it when he was but a struggling probationary employee at EXO. "Thanks, Sehun."

 

Sehun gave him a smile and started working on Kyungsoo's makeup for the filming.

 

Once everything was according to Baekhyun's standards already, the director decided to start filming. The scene they will be having is a confession scene in which Kyungsoo will be a young student who has a crush on the campus star soccer player.

 

Kyungsoo is currently standing behind the K shelf of the Literature section of the college library. According to the script, he was supposed to wait there for Kai to arrive from his soccer practice.

 

Kai is about to enter the scene anytime soon. And when Kai did, Kyungsoo must admit how good-looking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter