Year 3119

BORDERLESS (Pangaea Proxima: Year 3119) : Jinjoo Fiesta S2 Entry
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Pangaea Proxima: Year 3119

 

The world changed after the millennium of 2000, unlike before all the continents are inhabited but the theory of the future Pangaea was true. The continents are puzzle pieces for a bigger picture, Pangaea Proxima, the supercontinent truly existed in the Earth after millions of years. Christopher Scotese is right but the time it will occur is much shorter than everyone expected, which results to a big devastation to every race, leading to 95% of life in Earth to vanish in the thin air.

 

It is unknown to the present inhabitants of the Earth what really happened, their ancestors hid the truth to wipe away the trauma and fear that the 1st generation of the new Earth had after Pangaea and to continuously renew the present Earth. All they know is history; History that was told by their ancestors, a history that was so just a legend to the present people of Earth.

 

The 1st generation of Pangaea Proxima builds the border lines within The Border. The first border separates the present civilization, Civilization IZ1, to the world and it’s called “The Border”. The other one is called “Line borders”, this separates the people of the civilization to each other and has line colors that classifies each one.

 

“Hey Minjoo, wait for us” Nako called Minjoo’s attention who’s in a fast pace just to match the warriors big steps; the lady is so entertained with the newly assigned warriors marching their way home from their Border.

 

“I never seen that many warriors from Border I, marching all at once” Border I, shelters the warrior who occupies and steps inside the red line. They are the noble warriors of Civilization IZ1, the one who is in charge of peace and order inside The Border.

 

“We only have 15 minutes guys, we should probably go inside.” Yena suggested, their time is running out before their time of the day ends. They live in Border Z, a home for the commoners who steps inside the white line. A home where you’ll find freedom and festive, the most populated Border among the three. They inhabited the largest part of Civilization IZ1.

 

“What took you so long?” Yuri welcomed them with a frown. Minjoo and Nako laughed at her while Yena made sure that the door was locked. A familiar sound roar inside the white line. The time strikes 17:00, an indication that their hour outside their respective houses ended.

 

“We’re just right in time love. Don’t worry!” Yena tries to cuddle Yuri but she even mouthed that Yena always spoils her siblings. Nako and Minjoo are whispering to each other how mature for her age their elder sister is. She talks like their deceased Mom already. It’s like Yuri sensed about what the two is up to so Yuri gave them a sharp gaze.

 

“Did you loiter around the Central again?” The three of them nod that made Yuri face her palm and shook her head out of disbelief. They are always like this, Yuri always fear that her wife and siblings will die in the cruelest way possible because of their irresponsibility. 

 

Each border has 7 hours a day to do everything they want outside their houses but for the warriors it’s a special case. Seven hours for their personal time plus another seven hours of duty to their assigned Borders. The warriors wear special armors that allow them to cross the borders even if they didn’t belong to it.

 

The remaining three hours are divided into three; it’s an hour interval in each Border Line’s designated time. All of these laws are made by the Higher regime, the people behind Civilization IZ1, the mysterious government and no one know who those people are.  There’s the 3-known representative from the Higher regime. Those three hours are for them to search each borders if someone break the strict hour curfew.

 

Sakura is in charge of the Border 1, which is a home for the geniuses and C.IZ1’s inventors. They take care of everything about technology inside the civilization. Their ancestors are the brain for the magnetic field wall borders that physically separate the borders and system of every house doors in Civilization IZ1, which no one can’t open or access if it’s the Border’s curfew.  

 

Chaeyeon is the friendliest of the three. She always waves to the people of Border Z, like she’s one of the commoners. Eunbi, who really suits the Border she is assigned to which is Border I.

 

In a span of 10 minutes, they entered the big gate leading outside The Border. The people of C.IZ1 are safe for tonight, no one died in the hands of the Higher regime.

 

-

 

“YUJIN! We did a great job” Wonyoung excitedly took off her armor. Yujin and Wonyoung’s first day of duty as an official warrior ended smoothly; they are assigned to keep the peace inside Border Z. After Border Z’s time of the day, it’s the warriors’ time to relax. They don’t need to guard the people of the other Borders because their curfew time is still ticking. The senior official and her friend Hitomi asked them to celebrate. Hitomi is also assigned in Border Z and she’s the one who discovered this part of the river. 

 

 “I really wish that we had the commoner’s time! We can clearly see the beauty of this place if we can just go here at 10am to 5pm” Hitomi mouthed with frustration that Wonyoung agreed to. They have the same thoughts when it comes to that matter.

 

“6pm to 1am is not bad at all” Yujin actually loves their time of the day. It’s so quiet that most warriors are sleeping in their time. Unlike the other two borders, the warriors prefer to stay home in their time of the day to rest from their 7 hour duty.

 

 “Hey Yujin! Won’t you join us?” Wonyoung ask Yujin, whose head is only seen because the rest of her body is soaked in the water, hoping that she’ll join them.

 

“I’ll stay here” But to her dismay the warrior rejected her invitation, so Wonyoung let Yujin do what she wants. The two other warriors playfully race to a much deeper part of the river. They left Yujin alone.

 

“Just close your eyes, the sun is going down…” Yujin suddenly got up from the water when she heard someone’s singing beautifully. Her eyes are pinned to a window on the second floor of the nearby house in Border Z.

 

An invisible magnetic field from the ground up to the sky surrounds the part where the houses of each borders lie. It limits a person to enter a border line premises which he doesn’t belong. That’s why the warriors need a special suit to enter the other borders. But Yujin can’t cross the borders, her duty is done so it’s really prohibited that they use their armor for personal preference.

 

“You’ll be alright, no one can hurt you now…” She notices a girl standing in the window, looking up in the stars. Yujin unconsciously smiled and look up too. But her eyes move again to where the girl is because she’s brighter in her eyes.

 

“Come morning light, you and I’ll be safe and sound” She ended beautifully, Yujin told herself. The girl turned off the light inside her room but Yujin still can’t take away the smile in her face.

 

-

 

It’s Yujin, Hitomi and Wonyoung’s time to take their duty again. Most of the people of the Border Z, enjoys going to the Central. Because of what happened last night Yujin, came up to a plan. She will change post with Hitomi, who guards near the riverbank. Hitomi agreed to her plan without hesitation, mainly because Yujin’s post is near a bread shop.

 

Yujin walk her way near to the place where she saw the girl from last night. Hitomi is right; the part of the river where they swam last night is more beautiful in daytime.

                                                                                          

“Hitomi, it seems like you gained a lot of height since the last time I saw you.” The warrior turned around and saw much beautiful scenery. Her voice… It’s her. Yujin told to herself.  Her long pink wavy hair matches her complexion, her eyes crinkle when she smiles. She’s completely stunned; she never expected to see her right away.

 

“Don’t you remember me?” Minjoo changed her color last night so she thought that Hitomi didn’t recognize her. But it’s harder for other people to distinguish a warrior since they wear same design of armors. Their faces are also fully covered, allowing them to hide their true identity.

 

“It’s my first time to see you, young lady.” Yujin saw how the lady’s expression turned to a frown. She now recognized that it’s not her friend who she is currently talking to, but a positive thought came into the lady’s mind.

 

“Then, that’s great! I have a new friend! I’m Minjoo” The warrior smiled, she didn’t have to ask for her name. Minjoo extend her hands to shake hands with Yujin but out of embarrassment she didn’t handed hers. Yujin’s thanked herself for being a warrior because the girl can’t see her expression at all. Minjoo just put her hand down and thought the warrior is so cold-hearted.

 

“Who says I want to be friends with you?” Yujin didn’t know how to respond, so she thought that it’s okay to say that. On the other hand, Minjoo planned to annoy the warrior during her duty as payment to Yujin’s cold treatment.

 

“You have no choice” Minjoo playfully stick her tongue out that made the warrior smile. She’s quirky, Yujin told herself. The warrior silently listens to everything that Minjoo says; not knowing its Minjoo’s way to annoy her but she felt the opposite. The warrior enjoyed listening to her stories. Until the lady stopped from talking, she intently looked at something in the riverbank. Minjoo purposely made her eyes small to clearly see if what she’s seeing is right. Yujin found it cute–again. The commoner shouts in joy and quickly ran near the border.

 

“The sunflowers bloomed again” Minjoo said in awe, the flowers look extremely beautiful in her eyes. She wants to touch it and have one but the plant can only live inside Border I. Yujin who’s curious about what caught Minjoo’s attention walk near to where the girl is.

 

“Hitomi gave me some seeds of the sunflower. I tried planting that in my little garden but it’s so hard to find success in planting it” Yujin heard that the lady let out a deep sigh. She seems sad, so a plan suddenly rush to Yujin’s mind.

 

“Minjoo, let’s eat!” A yell from inside the commoner’s house was heard by the two. Now, it’s time for Yujin to be sad. Minjoo needs to go inside and there’s not much time left for her duty.

 

“Warrior, have lunch with us.” Yujin shook her head. She’s not allowed to leave her post or else she’ll be punished for being irresponsible. Although Minjoo expects that the warrior will reject her offer, because Hitomi always refused her invitation. It would be rude for her not to invite a person.  It’s a thing for all the commoners. They are all welcoming and kind.

 

“Okay, I’ll go now. And maybe I’ll go back after I finish all my house chores” Minjoo bid goodbye to the warrior. Yujin was left there, feeling fulfilled. It’s so nice to meet someone like Minjoo for her. She walked towards the flower that Minjoo adores so much. It’s not her first time to see it, every warriors don’t care much about that flower, or any kind of flower. They just love fights, armors and action; these are just petty things for them.

 

But from now on the warrior named Yujin, will always associate the sunflower to a lady named Minjoo from Border Z.

 

“She’s bright and beautiful like these flowers” Yujin laughed at herself, for being cheesy and for liking a girl who she barely knew. Yes, she actually likes Minjoo. A warrior always knew what they want so yes, she likes that girl.

 

-

 

The next day Yujin left a sunflower and note in Minjoo’s doorstep. Every single day since that one she’ll leave a note pinned into the sunflower. For 6 days she watched Minjoo’s reaction to every message she has for her. Every day Minjoo will tell her stories about herself non-stop, so she never get bored every duty.

 

The messages on the notes which Yujin have written every single day;

Day 1, “You bring a little ray of sunshine whenever you’re around”.;

 Day 2, “Smile, you look so lovely when that curve is drawn in your mouth”;

Day 3, “How could be your voice sound so angelic?”;

Day 4, “Your eyes speaks a thousand beautiful words”;

Day 5, “Continue to show your true colors, it gave colors to mine”;

Day 6, “The weather is fine today, but you’re more pretty than it.”

 

Yujin felt that she always serve her purpose. And that’s to make Minjoo smile. The warrior is so contented to see that the lady loves what she does. Her reaction every time she sees the flowers in her doorstep is enough payback to Yujin. It’s priceless for the warrior.

 

But Minjoo never told her about it. The commoner never told her about the note and sunflowers. She didn’t even ask her if she sees anyone who leaves flower on their doorsteps. Seems like she’s not interested to know who her admirer is, maybe she only cares for the beautiful flowers.

 

-

 

Day 7 of Yujin’s secret plan, she’s waiting for Minjoo  to open the door. After a few minutes, Yujin saw Minjoo outside their house, holding the flower and this time she read the message on the note aloud.

 

 “Minjoo, you’re more beautiful than this flower” Minjoo’s face turned red as she read the note pinned to the stem of the sunflower. On the other hand, Yujin quietly watched Minjoo’s expression. The lady smiles from ear to ear as she stares at the sunflower. She closed her eyes and enjoyed breathing the soothing scent of the flower.

 

The warrior smiled while watching Minjoo’s reaction, no words are needed to confirm that she made the lady happy.

 

“Yujin” AH, Yujin gasped as she heard that Minjoo called her. But to her relief she’s still looking at the card and just read her name written on it. Minjoo repeatedly said her name, she’s trying to remember anyone named Yujin living inside Border Z but she’s so sure that there’s no one. A thought came into her mind and rushed to the warrior near the riverbank.

 

“Good morning warrior” She doesn’t know what is the warrior’s name, Yujin refrained herself from telling the lady. But Minjoo made a hypothesis in her mind. She thinks that she knows the warrior’s name already but Yujin continued to treat her coldly, a way to hide her little infatuation for the lady.

 

“How’d you get a flower like that?” The warrior pretended that she didn’t even know a thing about the flowers but Minjoo on the other hand has a gut feeling that this warrior in front of her is the one responsible for all of this.

 

“Warrior, do you know someone named Yujin from Border I?” The warrior didn’t expect that Minjoo will ask her about it. She cleared as the tension inside her arises. The warrior didn’t assume that Minjoo will now search for the one who always gave her notes and flowers; it’s been 7 days since she started it. Minjoo never showed interest in knowing who her admirer is.

 

She just shook her head and told Minjoo that there’s no one from Border I named Yujin. In the hopes that Minjoo wouldn’t know that it’s her she told her white lies, she needs to do it or else she’ll be really embarrassed in front of her.

 

“But it’s impossible that a commoner will give me these flowers because this sunflower can only be found in your border” Minjoo is not convinced with the warrior’s answer.

 

“Is your name Yujin?” The warrior is in a little shock but she didn’t let Minjoo see that so she shook her again and tried to have a convincing voice to say “No.” She succeeded Minjoo starts to believe her at that moment. She thinks that maybe she’s just assuming things and it’s not good to judge someone, so she didn’t continued to be persistent about it.

 

“HEY AHN YUJIN!!! AHN YUJIN!” Minjoo’s attention was diverted to a person who’s shouting the name of the person she’s so curious about. She saw Hitomi running towards them and staring at the warrior in front of her.  Yujin didn’t look at her, she just closed her eyes. Trying to calm herself, Hitomi revealed her identity to Minjoo just like that. She shouldn’t have lied about it if she knows that this will happen. And now, Minjoo knows who she is, the lady knows who Yujin is.

 

“Hi Minjoo, it’s been a long time since I saw you” Hitomi casually greeted Minjoo without knowing what she have done. Minjoo greeted her back without forgetting that Hitomi called the warrior in front of her Yujin.

 

“Hey Yujin!” Hitomi tried-again to get Yujin’s attention but now she’s poking the warrior’s shoulder, countless times which slowly pulls the strings of calmness Yujin has inside her. Now Minjoo, really confirmed that the cold warrior is the one who’s been sending her the sunflower with sweet messages on a sticky note.

 

“So you’re really Yujin.” A statement coming from Minjoo made Yujin realize that there’s no point on hiding things from the commoner. It’s a dead end for her, secret and romantic way of conveying how she likes Minjoo.

 

“Yes she is and thank God she introduced herself to you already.” Yujin secretly hit Hitomi in the head, strong enough for a little “ouch” to came out from Hitomi’s mouth. A little bit of irritation unclasped from her containment, then she whispered near Hitomi’s ear before she hits her harder. Hitomi knows Yujin well, and everything she says, she’ll do it so she quickly flees out of the scene.

 

“Will you still deny that you’re Yujin, warrior?” Yujin remained silent for a couple of minutes. Minjoo checked her watch and it’s already 4:55 PM. As a reflex, she quickly turned around, and as she steps forward to walk her way towards there house, something stopped her.

 

“Yes, I’m Yujin and I think I like you” She immediately felt a sudden breeze of air touched her bare shoulder. It’s because of Yujin who ran as fast as she could towards the exit of Border Z. Minjoo run inside their house. As soon as she closed the door, she felt her heart beat accelerating. She’s aware that running is not the reason. But her heart responds to what the warrior’s confession.

 

“And I think I like that warrior too” Minjoo murmured.

 

“And who’s that lucky warrior Minjoo?” Yena and Yuri is front of her, she didn’t notice immediately because she’s a little preoccupied from what happened just minutes ago. She can see that Yena had a big smile on her face but her elder sister Yuri, doesn’t.

 

-

 

“I waited for 5 years. 5 times of petitioning for your elder sister to be my wife. It’s hard because I came from Border 1. It’s so depressing to be rejected again and again, until last year.” Yena place her hand on top of Minjoo’s elder sister’s hand. Trying to console herself from the bittersweet memory that left a mark in their hearts. Loving outside your own border is hard, Minjoo thought to herself.

 

“I got the permission from the Higher regime. But another challenge was given to us. We need to sacrifice something.” Minjoo can still see the pain that the couple in front of her struggled during those times. It became hard for both them.

 

“Life, a life one of us used to live or a life we want to live in. They gave us two options. For Yena to leave the border where she grew up and they will take away everything that associates her race in her whole existence. Or we could turn down the permission and forget all the things that I and Yena had.” Yuri continued Yena’s story.

 

But the bravery of the two people in front of Minjoo amused her. It’s once in a blue moon for a person from Border 1 to accept a condition to leave their Border. Because the people of Border 1 think the other way around, the ones who choose to leave that Border, are treated like traitors. So it’s amazing that Yena choose to be with Yuri.

 

-

 

“Warrior, you should attend the Borderless!” A night which has its name to stand for itself. Minjoo is munching on her bread, while Yujin pretends to focus on guarding her post. From time to time, she’s stealing glances on Minjoo. It’s a little awkward for her but for Minjoo, everything seems fine.

 

Minjoo quite expected that the warrior is the one who send her flowers. She concluded that because of two reasons. The first reason, Yujin is there when she’s fascinated with how those flowers bloomed already and second. A warrior could only be her admirer since sunflowers can only be seen in Border I. Either way; Minjoo already adored the warrior, unlike those warriors who are designated in that post Yujin is exceptional.

 

“It’s in two days, will you be my date?” Yujin was shocked when she heard that from Minjoo. But Minjoo is still calmly seating in a high chair while watching her legs sway back and front.

 

“What did you just say?” Yujin needs to confirm what she had heard.

 

“The Borderless is in two days” Minjoo casually answered but Yujin responded that there’s something more that she said after that. But the lady is clueless so she grabbed strength inside her to say it to Minjoo.

 

“You just asked me to be your date in the night of the Borderless” Minjoo stopped from eating the bread; she just realized that she burst out those words that keep on bugging her mind. Minjoo’s cheeks turned red and she can’t do something about it now. Since Yujin knew it already, Yujin knew that she wants the warrior to be her date on the Borderless.  With stuttering voice, Minjoo tried to play it cool and hear out Yujin’s answer.

 

“Ah, so you’ll be my date?” Yujin chuckled and felt amazed with how Minjoo handled the awkwardness. She wished that she can handle situations just like her.

 

Little did Yujin know, the commoner like her too. Not because of the notes and flowers but on how the warrior treated Minjoo.  Yujin is a good listener, she never intervene in every story that Minjoo tells her. The warrior’s strategy worked without her noticing. Minjoo’s favorite part of her day is talking to the cold-hearted warrior, not receiving those flowers. 

 

“I would be happier, if I was the one to ask you but it seems like you’re so confident about it so…” If you just know Yujin how Minjoo’s heart panicked and she felt embarrassed with what she said. You should probably laugh at her.   “Yes.”

 

“How could I know if it’s you” Minjoo even pouted. She thinks that it’s a little bit unfair in her side. Yujin knows what she looks like.

 

“Let’s pin a yellow ribbon on our left chest” That seems like a good idea to Minjoo so she immediately agree.

 

-

 

The clock strikes at 18:59; a minute before the Borderless. Everyone is waiting inside their houses. A familiar happy sound reigns inside The Border. Everyone cheered in joy. It’s a once in a year gathering that every people inside The Border look forward to.

 

The Borderless is also a time for every lover from different borders to hear the permission of The Higher regime for them to live together. Petitioning to marry a person from another border is hard but hearing the conditions of The Higher regime is always the worst since it break tons of lovers apart.  The announcement will happen 1 hour before the end of the Borderless. But most importantly, the Borderless is a once in a year event where the Borders are united as one.

 

“You can now exit your house” Chaeyeon stated as the magnetic field that surround the border completely disappeared.

 

“May you enjoy this night, people of Civilization IZ1” Sakura greeted all the people inside The Border.

 

“Borderless begins now” Eunbi officially announced the start of Borderless.

 

Minjoo has never been excited like this whenever the yearly Borderless comes. Tonight she’ll finally see Yujin rather how she looks like behind that armor. The two agreed to put a yellow ribbon in their left chest for them to find each other quickly, rather-again for Minjoo to find Yujin easily. The warrior knows how Minjoo looks like so it’s not hard for her to find MInjoo.

 

The Central is full of people dancing to the beat; everyone is getting wild because of the overflowing happiness they feel for tonight. There’s also a long line for those who want to petition themselves to marry someone in another border. Minjoo hopes that many will succeed from those people who peti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter