the man of my dreams.

the man of my dreams.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

--

 

Today is a usual Saturday at the coffee shop; swarming with people combined with the cacophony of their chitchats. I don't hate it but I like the stillness of Tuesdays better. The smell of coffee never fails to elate me which is why I love my job. Making people drinks and seeing them enjoy it over either a me-time or hangout with friends intoxicate me. And well, free coffee!

 

"Two large Iced Americano for Johnny!" 

 

 

It was almost closing time yet there are still people left; some coming in, but most are leaving. I was preparing to clean up when I heard the door open, perhaps rushing in as it is just ten minutes before closing. The customer might have tripped himself since there was a rattle of chairs near the entrance.

"Uh, sorry about that. I can still order, can't I?" he asked my co-worker who was assigned to be today's cashier. 

"Yes, sir. You're just about in time." I can hear her smile through the words she just uttered. Washing my hands to prepare for his drink, I didn't mind looking back. Upon confirming the order, I started working on it. I usually remember the first and last customers of the day. They seem special in a way that out of all the customers, I'm most thankful for them. For trusting a barista in either making or ruining their morning, and coming in even if the door seems closing already. 

 

"One small iced latte for Do---young?"

 

And that moment, I was so sure I won't forget today's last customer. He looked at me with those eyes, those that I’ve only seen in my dreams. I'm not sure how long I stared but I was sure that his eyes were dreamier in person. 

"Uhm, yes? That would be me."

Confusion is painted on his face that I always longed to touch. But no, this can't be real. I'm starting to think that it may be because I had four cups of coffee today. 

"Ah right! Enjoy your drink, Doyoung."

 

I handed him his drink and stared at his hands instead. It's as pretty as I always see with my closed eyes and recurring dreams. He smiled at me as he said thanks and I just smiled back, or I thought I did. Standing there in what feels like forever, I turned to my colleague. 

"I'm sorry but can you close up for the day? I just remembered something really really important."

"If it's your gas valve, then you should run for your life."

"Thanks! I'm going."

 

I grabbed my bag and ran out as fast as I could, looking right and left thinking where he headed to. My mind has stopped functioning properly but my feet were constantly moving. This must be the luckiest day for me as I saw him waiting on the bus stop, with the coffee I made in his hands. He might have heard how loud my thoughts were (or it's because I was panting from the run) because he stood up and got worried all of a sudden. I watched him struggling to check his pockets while holding the latte in his other hand as I catch my breath. With much of a thought, I said,

"Uh....hi!"

But he replied as soon as I greeted him, 

"Sorry! Did I leave my card behind?? I'm sorry you have to run all the way I---"

"No, it's not that."

 

He stopped looking for his wallet and gave me a questioning look. The way he tilted his head a bit and curiosity flashing through his eyes got me giggling: you can never really fail to catch what he's thinking through that mind of his. 

"Sorry, didn't mean to laugh. I just had to say something but it might sound really weird. Well, actually, it ---"

"What is it?"

He cut me off, surprised and I knowingly smiled. He really can't stand not knowing something huh.

"It is weird so please bear with me, and I'm apologizing in advance."

"No, not that."

"What?" 

"I meant the giggle, what's with that?

 

He caught me off guard with his question, as he always did in my dreams. How come he's real? I thought he was just a figment of my frivolous imagination. And yet, he's here standing in front of me dressed in his usual alluring self, with my very own open eyes. I'm still doubting if this is just the effect of my caffeine intake plus the fatigue today's shift has brought me, or maybe this is one of those dreams again pretending it is real. Either way, I decided not to let this pass by. 

"It's just that...you're very transparent and you do not even try to cover it up, well, most of the time."

 

Eyes boring into me and eyebrows meeting a bit in the middle, it is evident that he is questioning this very moment, me, and the unknown that I didn't have an answer to. Ah, it's the Aquarius in him. I wanted to laugh but I don't want to look weirder than I already am, instead I gave him a nervous smile. 

"Wait, you know me?"

"Uh, well, I first heard your name like 10 minutes ago?"

"I mean, me. Not my name."

That smart mouth of his never misses its timing. My smile turns bigger but not enough to shake the nervousness away.

"So?"

He asked with sassiness and kindness combined I don't know how he does it. I just find it amazing, I mean everything about him is.

 

"I told you it's weird and it's a long story. But if you want to know--"

"I'm all ears." 

"Uh, okay? Uhm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter