Second First Kiss

Failed kisses

 

They’ve been dating for almost a year now. She’s still living with his family and she’s still helping at the convenience store-tho just for a few hours a day since Daehyun insists that she should focus on her studies, now that she’s in uni. 

 

Daehyun’s paying for her studies. At first- she won’t let him do it, because-well-there should be a limit to how much a person should take help from someone else. He already gave her a house, food to eat and a job, but after many long discussions, he told her that she can pay for it later. Eun Byul encouraged her as well, saying that she would allot some of her earnings as well to pay Daehyun back. Add to the fact that his mother and father  pushed her to accept it. GeumBi even told her that if she won’t accept Daehyun’s offer, she would somehow pay for her school fees. Feeling cornered, she finally relented.

 

She’s much busier now, but Saet Byul tries hard to stop by at the store to spend time with her boyfriend. They’re still the same as before, fun bickerings and teasings make a lot of their time together. She’s happy with their relationship. Of course. Except for the fact that they haven’t progressed from their usual hugs and longing stares. SaetByul doesnt mind tho, she’s been in love with him since years ago so a few more years doesnt hurt, but she noticed that Daehyun’s stares in the past few weeks has been more heated as per usual and it’s getting hard for her to wait for “the right time.” Especially since the last incident-

 

Daehyun wasn’t supposed to be home that day, but because Dalshik is hanging around with GeumBi at his store-all lovey dovey- he left them to rant at SaetByul. And well- any free time that he could with SaetByul is the best part of his day. He supposes he shouldve texted her that he’s coming back home so she wouldnt be surprised. But he’s sure she’ll be surprised and ecstatic.

 

She was surprised- But not a good surprise. SaetByul was just coming back from a bath when he came barging in. And- that was the day that she didnt bring in change of clothes in the bathroom since she expected to be alone until the evening. Needless to say, there was SaetByul in front of him in all but a towel. 

 

“YAAAAAAA! what are you doing here???” SaetByul screamed, stunned.

 

“I-.. You... Ss-surprise?” He managed to say before turning around. “I didnt know you would be in the bathroom, If I had known I would have stopped by a little later.”

 

All he heard from her was a sigh and then he supposes SaetByul started running but he heard her telltale of slipping by the stairs. Worried of her being hurt, he turned to catch her and break her fall.

 

He did catch her-then enter another awkward situation. 

 

Daehyun’s holding her towel-wrapped body in his arms. She’s in nothing but  a towel. SaetByul is in his arms in nothing but a - 

 

His head is still trying to process things. And maybe his mind and body could’t process it so blood started to rush out of his nose. The next thing he knew, SaetByul pushed herself away from him and then the last thing he saw was a flash of her closed knuckles.

 

***

 

SaetByul is younger than him, Daehyun knows that. And he’s trying hard to respect and wait for her-until she’s ready that is. Yea-Their first kiss happened years ago, and it would always hold a special place in his memories now that he’s with her- but he imagines that their second kiss should be special, since all he has for her now is adoration, admiration and love- well maybe- he would admit it only when he’s drunk-but he’s feeling a strong attraction for her as well *ehem* in ways that it would make SaetByul blush. 

 

It’s no secret that everything about SaetByul is very-very attractive. It surprises him that he had that much restraint in him, considering that they live under the same roof.

 

It’s not like he hasnt been trying. If it’s just the mood and atmosphere, there are many moments that have passed and missed which shouldve been perfect.

 

There was one time when they were watching in a movie theater. She just got back from her exam and have fallen asleep on his shoulder. Daehyun didnt bother waking her up throughout the movie but he had to when the movie’s almost done. He nudged her gently and watched her open her eyes to look at him. slightly open, and her eyes still sleepy. 

 

Daehyun was mesmerized and little did he know, his face got closer to hers. Still in a trance, SaetByul leaned in to close the space between them. And then- the lights from the movie theater came alive, people are now standing up to leave the theater. The movie is done and so was the moment.

 

SaetByul quickly backed up and looked away embarrassed. 

 

Moments passed, and then she cleared .

 

“How long was I out?”

 

“Almost all of the movie. We couldve just stayed at home if you were tired from your exam.” He mentioned, guilty.

 

“But you’ve been waiting for this movie the entire week.” she pouted.

 

Daehyun laughed and pinched her cheeks, “I was only looking forward to this because I got to spend time with you. If you were tired I couldve just watched you while sleeping at home.”

 

Her face said it all, she’s touched, but she just had to ruin it by saying,”Creep.” Then she stuck her tongue and dragged him from his seat. “Come on-Let’s eat, I’m hungry.”

 

The next time he tried was when they had a rare chance of having the house all to themselves. 

 

They were seating across each other just eating ramyeon together at the dining-talking about how both of their day went.

 

“I missed you all day.” Saetbyul blurted nonchalantly in between sips of her soup.

 

“Oh and I scored the highest in one of the exams.” she added like it was no biggie.

 

“Jinjja?!” 

 

“Ya, why do you sound surprised? she asked feigning hurt,”I have my moments.”

 

“We shouldve gone out to celebrate!” Daehyun commented, proud at her achievement.

 

Saetbyul scoffed, “If we’re celebrating everytime I topped an exam, you’ll be broke.” She boasted in confidence.

 

“I don’t care, I’m really really proud of y-“ Daehyun stopped midway, “Wait Saetbyul, you have something on your-“ Daehyun moved to wipe off a smudged sauce on her lips, when she suddenly it off.

 

He paused as he noticed her lips glistening, and when he looked up at her eyes, it’s as if he was hypnotized. He moved closer to lean in- placed his hands on the table to support himself, and then- he felt a hot sensation. Like really hot.Literally. 

 

True to his clumsy self, he knocked over the bowl of soup when he leaned forward. Spilling the content over the table and her pants. 

 

“Jeonjangnim!”

 

Saetbyul and him spent the rest of the night cleaning his mess.

 

The last time he tried was the first time she called her oppa. They were celebrating their anniversary and he planned a special evening between the two of them.

 

“Why are we going to a flower farm in the evening? we shouldve gone during the day.” Saetbyul asked.

 

“Are you questioning me?” He .

 

Daehyun had his reasons. He saw the most wonderful view in a picture before. A night in a flower garden with low lights can be very romantic. It’s not the most original idea, but seeing her face lit up as they entered was very rewarding. 

 

“Omo- this is- wow.” she commented, looking at him with teary eyes.

 

Daehyun loves this about her. He could do the littlest things and she would still be very touched.

 

They were nearing the center of the flower garden, when she gasped, and he couldnt help but grin.

 

Daehyun just knew recently that a close friend of his currently runs a flower garden. They had a catchup and his friend mentioned that he could arrange something if ever he plans to bring Saetbyul at the garden. His friend really made it extra by setting up a romantic dinner in the middle of the garden. 

 

“Is this-?” 

 

“For us? Yes.” 

 

At that, Saetbyul suddenly wrapped her arms around him. “You didnt have to do all of this for me.”

 

“But I wanted to.” He held her tightly, arms lingering around her. “You deserve to be treated like an amazing woman you are, and I wanted you to feel how much you are special to me.”

 

This was it. It’d be the perfect time for a kiss. When Saetbyul looked up at him from the hug, he started to lean in, hands moving to caress her face-

 

“You must be Saetbyul?” a familiar voice interrupted. Daehyun reluctantly pulled back to look at his friend, scowling.

 

“Oh am I interrupting something?”

 

Daehyun clenched his jaw before answering, “No, you had the perfect timing.” he replied, sarcastically.

 

This mightve entertained Saetbyul as he heard her giggle at his side. 

 

“I just really wanted to meet you Saetbyul before I leave, Daehyun mentioned how you really love flowers and here’s to hoping you’ll enjoy the rest of the evening.” his friend shook her hands and then bid his farewell.

 

“So-where were we?”Daehyun asked hoping they could continue where they left off.

 

“I think the food is getting cold. We should eat now-oppa.”

 

Curse his friend for having the worst timing ever.

 

Wait- “oppa, did you just call me-“

 

“Pali, the food is getting cold-oppa.” Saetbyul repeated as she smiled sweetly at him.

 

Back at present, Daehyun is waiting for Saetbyul at the store. She should be done with classes an hour before and should be heading at the store now.

 

“Can’t believe Saetbyul rejected Jinyoung hyung. It’s the talk of the university at the moment. I mean if Jinyoung-hyung didn’t make it then no one else could ask her out, right?” A male customer at the store mentioned.

 

He didnt mean to eavesdrop but It couldn’t have been the same Saetbyul right?

 

“Well-I heard she’s already dating someone.” the companion of the customer chimed in.

 

“Oh yeah, I heard that as well. But come on, He’s ‘the’ Jinyoung-hyung. Every lady in the university has been eyeing him since he entered the uni.”

 

No- they couldnt be talking about the same Saetbyul- she would tell Daehyun if ever a guy confessed to her right?

 

“And well- who would choose an older guy running a Convenience store over Jinyoung hyung.”

 

Wait-are they talking about him?

 

“I would.” Saetbyul suddenly appears, hands at her hips, looking at the two customers from head to toe.

 

“Saaaetbyul-?” The guys were taken aback as it clicked on them. This was the convenience store that Saetbyul’s boyfriend is running. Then they looked over at Daehyun. A look of horror passed their faces as they hurriedly left the store.

 

As soon as the two guys left, Saetbyul went back to her usual cheery self, “Oppaaa- did you miss me?”

 

“Ahhh- de.” Daehyun replied simply, pouting.

 

Why would Saetbyul keep a secret about that Jinyoung guy. And why did the guys think that she should choose the guy over him. 

 

“Could you watch the store for a minute, I’ll just refill stock for the drinks.” Daehyun said, moving towards the storage room when Saetbyul stopped him.

 

“Don’t tell me you’re jealous? I mean you heard how I rejected the other guy right?”

 

“I’m not.” he said in final, leaving Saetbyul.

 

Daehyun pulled out his phone. Hesitated, but then proceeded to check her profile in her instagram. He just needed to find an account following her with the name- Ha- he found it.

 

“He’s not that handsome.”

 

“Who?” Saetbyul said looking at what his doing at his phone.

 

“YAAAAA! Saetbyul!” His heart stopped, hiding his phone “I told you to look after the convenience store!”

 

“There are no customers.” she replied nonchalantly. “Why are you stalking my account?” she asked, a smirk plastered on her face.

 

“Well- I-“ he’s trying to find a reason.

 

“Awwwww. you’re jealous.” Saetbyul commented, finding him endearing and then gave him a smack in the lips.

 

She gave him a smack in the lips. Saetbyul kissed him.

 

The both of them froze as they realize what she just did. 

 

“YAAAA!” Daehyun backed away. “That was our first kiss as a couple!” He exclaimed. “I wanted to kiss you first!” He pouted. “I mean- I’ve waited for the perfect time to kiss you - make it special-and “

 

Saetbyul just laughed at him. “Well you were too slow.”

 

“Oh? am I?” he suddenly said mischievously.

 

With his sudden change in demeanor, Saetbyul backed away as he moved forward, her heart beating fast.

 

He finally had her cornered in a wall. Their eyes never leaving each other as he leaned forward. It felt like time stopped as he closed the space between them. 

 

Just before his lips touched hers, his smirk was replaced by a soft smile. This might not be the way he imagined doing things but it’s happening. Maybe the timing really doesnt matter if it’s with the perfect person.

 

She was nervous. Saetbyul mightve kissed him before but she has no knowledge- no-she had no experience kissing a man prior him. She gave him smacks and pecks because that’s all she knows when it comes to kissing.

 

Daehyun must’ve known how she’s feeling when he paused a bit and then looked deep into her eyes, “I love you.” The three words that calmed her.

 

“I-“ Saetbyul tried to respond but his lips finally closed in on hers. She didn’t know how to react and was fairly stiff but his lips gave her encouraging gentle nips and nudges as he carressed her face. 

 

Saetbyul closed her eyes, willing herself to relax in his arms. Gradually, she’s become more responsive with his movements and she just drowned out her thoughts to let him lead and guide her.

 

Daehyun‘s kiss was gentle and sweet. Just like the person that he is. His movements was slow and calming yet somewhat addicting. She have lost sense of time as they keep doing what they were doing, but then Daehyun got bold and a little bit at her bottom lip. 

 

As she gasped at his actions, he took his chances to deepen the kiss and add a little more pressure than before. Their kiss was getting more heated and intense that he couldnt control himself anymore. All those missed chances made him really yearn for her and he wanted to make sure his actions conveyed everything to her.

 

When they finally broke apart to catch a breath, both of them mirrored how intense their kiss were. 

 

“That was-“

 

“Wow.” they finished each other’s sentences.

 

They were still in the midst of their highs when Dalshik entered the storage room, surprised to see the both of them there.

 

“From your disheveled hair and swollen lips, I feel that I dont wanna know what you were doing in here, but- you guys have so many customers waiting for you.”