Spice

Wheein And Yongsun’s Sweet Predicaments
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Yongsun is about to roll down the store’s steel roll shutter when she feels someone standing behind her. She readies herself to scream or worst case to fight if it’s a burglar. She turns around and everything slows down like in the movies. There she is, the pouty girl that hasn’t come to her store in two months. Not that she’s counting or almost always hangs around the store even when she’s not needed. Or expecting it to be the girl when an unknown number calls. 


 

“Um..hi.” The girl starts. She seems shy, unlike her usual self when she comes here.

 

“Hello!” Yongsun responds enthusiastically. “Are you here to finally talk about buying my store?” Yongsun gives her friendliest smile.

 

“What? … No.Um, what?” The girl is confused. Seems like she’s forgotten their last interaction. Yongsun notices this and feels a bit disappointed. Nevertheless she keeps her smile.

 

“Um, I mean, what can I do for you?”

 

“Yeah, sorry. I know you’re closed but there’s no other place I can get the salted caramel popcorn that you sell. I checked all the stores in my area and —” before the girl can finish, Yongsun takes out her keys and unlocks the front glass door of the store and comes inside. The girl stands there mouth slightly hanging open. She didn’t expect to actually be accomodated. Yongsun punches in the security code for the alarm and beckons the short-haired girl inside. There’s dim light coming from behind the counter and the back side of the store. Yongsun turns on her phone’s flashlight and goes to a shelf. Grabs some stuff and comes back to where the girl is awkwardly waiting. 


 

“Here. Two bags of salted caramel popcorn. Or do you need some other sweets?” Yongsun hands the girl the bags. 


 

“Oh, uh, thank you so much!” The girl bows so low it makes Yongsun embarrassed all of a sudden. When the girl stands straight again and motions to get money from her pocket, Yongsun stops her.

 

“Please. The bow was already too much. It’s on the house.” Yongsun smiles. She likes to smile at this girl more than to anyone, she now realizes.

 

“No, please. At least take the money. I won’t be able to sleep if I don’t pay you. I’ve bothered you enough already.” The girl begs. Yongsun is conflicted but resolves it almost immediately.


 

“Okay, miss, if you really insist on paying, I’ll ask for three simple payments. Paid in parts. So to begin with, I’d like to know your name. My name is Kim Yongsun by the way, owner of this sweets paradise.” Yongsun amusingly stares at the surprised girl while looking at her outstretched hand. 


 

“Oh, that’s it? Well, you did say simple.” The girl looks like she’s solving a puzzle. 

 

“Wheein. My name’s Jung Wheein. 26 years old.” She takes Yongsun’s hand for a firm handshake. “Nice to meet you, Yongsun-ssi.” 

 

Wheein smiles and Yongsun’s heart just melted or exploded. She’s not sure. Wheein’s smile is so precious, and that dimple on her right cheek, a cherry on top. So this is what she looks like when she’s not all serious buying sweets. 


 

“So what’s the second one, Yongsun-ssi?” Wheein looks expectant. 

 

Yongsun is so unprepared but she keeps her wits about. 

 

“Well, the third one is—”

 

“You mean the second one?” Wheein interjects.

 

“No, I’ll have to ask you about the third one first. Okay, please don’t interrupt me again Wheein-ssi. Last one is do you want to have coffee with me one of these days? If your answer is yes then the second payment is I’ll give you my number so you can decide when we’ll do it. If you think this is creepy it’s fine, knowing your name is enough so you don’t feel burdened about not paying money.” 

 

Yongsun was gonna say more, stringing herself into a spiral of excuses. She’s become nervous. Her courage leveled down for some reason. She hasn’t been nervous in front of a girl since she asked a sunbae back in high school out for a date.

 

Wheein is absorbing everything she can from the fast blabber and then holds her hand up to stop Yongsun. These girls seem inclined to interrupt each other.

 

“Okaaaaaayyyy, yes and yes. It’s not creepy. But like, you’re gonna give me your number? Is this like a reverse pickup tactic? Don’t you want my number?” 

 

“I do, I do! I mean, yes. But I don’t want you to think I’m creepy. I could name a few movies and series involving creeps preying on pretty girls. Don’t want you to think I’m one.” Yongsun feels she made her situation worse. 

 

Before Wheein could answer they both turn their heads when they hear someone tap on the glass door a few times and point a flashlight at them.


 

It looks like a police officer. Yongsun hurriedly walks towards the door to open it. Wheein just behind her.


 

“Good evening, Ma’am. We

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter